Thu Oct 15 2015 13:22:24

eBay Sellers at Risk If They Also Sell on Half.com

By: Reader

I just identified a serious flaw in the eBay defect system for people who also sell on half.com.

If a seller receives a negative feedback for a half.com transaction, that negative is counted in the defect system on eBay, but the transaction for the half.com sales are not included in the transaction #s that the defect percentage is based on, i.e. top rated sellers can have 2% or less in defects and still maintain that status.

As an example how this is a serious problem for those who sell on both half.com and eBay, I will give an example. If a seller has 100 eBay transactions and 200 half.com transactions with 1 eBay defect and 2 half.com defects, eBay only counts the 100 eBay transaction but counts all 3 defects from both sites, so there is a 3% defect rate when it is actually a 1% defect rate if all transactions are taken into account.

I called a customer service rep because I had a half.com negative comment that was included in the defect system and I wanted to find out whether the transactions from half.com are included in the transaction totals - and he told me no. eBay includes the negative on their defect rating report because that sale was on eBay's platform (and so was the transaction so why don't they include that).

eBay should either not include defects from half.com transactions OR they should include those transactions in the total transaction figures that the defect percentage is related to.

It's not a big deal for me since only about 1% of my sales are from half.com and most of those sales have no defects. However, I can see this being a big problem for sellers who have a much larger percentage of sales on half.com AND more than 100 sales a year on eBay.
Ann

eBay Sellers at Risk If They Also Sell on Half.com   eBay Sellers at Risk If They Also Sell on Half.com

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 22:04:10 2015

Back in January, I got a defect for item not as described for a 3 DSR rating because the Half catalog contained an error and listed my ISBN as hardcover instead of paperback. eBay would not remove the defect and it stayed on my account for 90 days. I was told that the book I sold must have been counterfeit (I purchased the book retail at B&N).
I suppose that printing press and bindery in my basement cranking out knockoff copies has been discovered and the jig is up.
I stopped selling on half. It isn't worth the risk.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 15 22:46:31 2015

This is very interesting.  I find nothing in Ebay's written policy that states the defect system is across platforms.  Not that Ebay's policies are in any way easy to search or find the appropriate policies.  One can spend hours trying to get the right information.

But this is really disturbing if in fact this is what Ebay does.  There are separate User Agreements for these sites too.

This is very strange and certainly concerning.  I don't sell on half.com, but it is interesting nonetheless.  I'm very glad this was brought to our attention.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Oct 15 22:50:33 2015

This is likely an unknown relic of the Donahoe reign of terror against sellers.

Current management likely has no idea this cross platform seller killing mechanism is in place....if they do, then the fact it exists reflects new managements acceptance of the additional way to demoralize and defeat the very sellers who are the backbone of the marketplace.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Oct 16 08:06:58 2015

But Ric, Wenig is reconnecting with small sellers.  :)

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 16 09:13:49 2015

:) REX - the only connection that Wenig has tried to make with me as an eBay seller is to try and reach into my wallet and steal something on behalf of his buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Oct 16 09:45:59 2015

@ Rexford   Mr Wenig may well be trying to reconnect with small sellers.

I just wonder if that 55 gallon barrel of lube in his office is left over from JD, or if that is a new barrel he bought from Amazon.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Oct 16 09:47:09 2015

pace306.....I've seen no changes that benefit small sellers either.  All I see is sales continuing to take a nose dive just like eBay stock.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 18 00:02:28 2015

eBay Sellers at Risk If They Sell on eBay.com

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 19 07:29:59 2015

Why is Half.com still alive?  It should have been eliminated months ago along with some other EB companies.  I'm sure EB has plans for the site, probably going to sell it, but right now it's an irrelevant dormant site.  I sell maybe 3 items a year.