Tue Oct 13 2015 21:53:27

Seller Goes Fishing for Results in eBay Search

By: Reader

Many of us on eBay have had a HUGE problem getting our items SEEN and SOLD.  I think I have just come across one of the "reasons" we are NOT selling.

I listed an antique fishing creel using the "Collectibles-Nautical Decor" category as I did not want to "waste" one of my "Free" general category listings (this was pre-recent promos). Since this had not sold and was going to expire tomorrow I went to see what the recent comps were - only to find that under NO circumstances was MY item visible - not from the original account I used to list it on; not from my other accounts.

The category search header I saw was - ALL- but apparently after long puzzling the ANSWER was - ONLY the items listed in the VINTAGE FISHING category were being SHOWN. One would THINK that anything with the word CREEL in the TITLE would show up when using ALL - but no - that would not be the eBay way.

It DID show up when I went TO "Collectibles" as a category search - and one would HOPE that potential BUYERS might think to DO this - but - this left literally HUNDREDS of items UNSEEN using just the actual NAME of the item.

No wonder we can't SELL. The listing also then "sneakily" tried to hit me up for 35 cents to have "bigger pictures" - um; no; my pics are just fine thanks; when I changed the category.

But - here's the thing - not ALL creels are vintage; and this severely LIMITS what is SHOWN and seen as AVAILABLE to potential BUYERS.

From some where over 230 listings to over 1000 - that is a HUGE difference and some buyer is no doubt walking AWAY from eBay right now without the item they went there FOR.

Is it possible to ASK eBay just what the heck they are THINKING with this bizarre system? What company HIDES the items they have for SALE?
Sign me,
Fish Out Of Water

Seller Goes Fishing for Results in eBay Search   Seller Goes Fishing for Results in eBay Search

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Oct 14 07:24:34 2015

I could not agree with the OP more. It is shameless that eBay takes store fees and does not show ALL sellers' listings. I have heard reports from seller after seller who have experimented with searching for their items on someone else's computer, and their items were no where to be found.

User agreement or not, this sounds like fraud to me. If it isn't fraud it is beyond unethical.  eBay search is broken beyond repair. The great manipulation game--steering buyers to their chosen sellers, and peppering sellers' listings with advertising that take potential buyers away.

by: justsaying This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 09:57:27 2015

I searched for a mid century table I had listed on eBay the other day, listed in Collectibles--Kitchen & Home--Furniture.  I was on a different browser, clean cookies, and not signed in.  I typed in:  mid century table
Then I looked to left Main Categories, which were Antiques, and Collectibles, and then Home & Garden, etc.  They all had a few sub-categories showing, with the "more" link to click.  When I clicked on "more", I only got a few more sub-categories, not ALL of the other sub-categories that contained the search phrase.  Guess what???  My sub-category was not shown at all!  So, that is exactly where I dropped off the initial search that a "normal" buyer would do if drilling down by Category.  Only when I actually clicked on the Main Category of Collectibles did it REALLY show all of the sub-categories that contained the search term.  That is a GIANT GAP for items to be falling through!!!  It is totally sloppy coding, and it is totally unacceptable!  Ebay, I love you, man, but get your poop together!!!  I hope you're reading!
Signed--A Long-time eBay seller who really wants you to get it together so we can all succeed!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Oct 14 12:13:10 2015

Whenever I read stories such as this, I worry what items could be there, waiting for me to buy, that just aren't showing up in search results. I look for items that, luckily, aren't sold by big box and Chinese sellers, but as pointed out in Fish's letter, with eBay hiding about two-thirds of their listings in search results, is not good for the buyers, certainly not good for the sellers, and also not good for eBay (a concept which they seem to be unable to grasp).

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Oct 14 12:50:54 2015

antique fishing creel

I'm getting 64 results

This user has validated their user name. by: MeTech

Wed Oct 14 13:44:33 2015

Well this is one if the main culprits for not sales.

The other day I wanted to list an item and noticed
there were only two listed on ebay and decided to search on Google.  To no surprise I found three more of the same item that were active on the US site but not showing up on ebay. I also found another one that was sold three days prior and was not showing up under sold or completed.  This item had a specific part number which should come up right away if it is listed.

With this kind of stupidity in place there will be no sales at all.

by: That Guy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 15:47:49 2015

@toolguy - go to the top right, change it to "All Categories" and then click search. Suddenly you get 94 results.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 14 15:50:19 2015

I got 293 results. Toolguy got 64. That's only a difference of 229. No problem unless you're among the majority that can't consistently be found.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Wed Oct 14 16:47:56 2015

Interesting, I made sure the search box was showning "All Categories" when I tried to search for "Antique Fishing Creel".  64 listings showed up, for some reason, eBay had changed the search box from "All Categories" to "Creels".  When I changed it back to "All Categories", it then showed 94 listings.  I don't like the fact that eBay now changes my search criteria on it's own... if I want to see the listings for "All Categories", I should not have to enter the search string, pull it up, and then change the category back to what I had it to start with in order to see everything.  Most convoluted search system ever made.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 00:36:16 2015

Search seems to shift constantly sometimes showing very low end items when one has a very high end search like 24k sold gold bracelet...we get gold wire bracelet for 24.00 NOT what a person is looking for..they give up.There are many sights, lots to do and people just say screw it. I know I do. Having to sift through the "search of the day" and not get what you are looking for even if you drill down by category you get schlock.. who has the time? Sometimes the search works and  surprise surpise other times it is so cumbersome and filled with irrelevant items.

by: sanddogg This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 00:47:01 2015

Something is fishy allright. Everyone knows how screwy 'best match' works and how eBay rotates search criteria and results. But why someone would list an 'Antique Fishing Creel' in 'Collectibles/Nautical Decor' to save .20 does not make much sense to me. The best tactical category is 'Sporting Goods/Vintage/Creel'.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 01:06:21 2015

Today I was searching for a brand name--LOWE.  I entered that name and got results--just--not ANYTHING with the actual NAME in them!  I got "low boots"  and "low cut"--notice a pattern here?  Nowhere did it indicate that the Search had been CHANGED either.

I finally discovered that a more proper way of searching is using LOWE ALPINE but--where WERE all those items when I used the NAME?

These re-directs--as if ebay some how KNOWS what I WANT--are frustrating and are killing peoples desire to spend time on the site.

No wonder no one can find anything--and no wonder buyers--even die hard ebay sellers who WANT to buy-----are walking away even if they are still listing on site.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 01:12:21 2015

@TOOLGUY---there are in reality several hundred results that you --and now apparently other posters here--are NOT seeing;  and using the term "antique"  or "Vintage"  when not every seller would use those exact terms makes a HUGE difference.

Just using the word CREEL should bring up ALL items listed under that title;  esp if you are using the ALL category search.  By NOT bringing them ALL up ebay is limiting what viewers SEE;  and what they can BUY;  and also committing fraud against the SELLERS who list in good faith that their items WILL BE SHOWN.

You should some day go to a different computer--at  a friends or the library--and NOT log in and go search for your items.  You might just be shocked.

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 01:54:24 2015

I haven't sold on eBay for some time and recently listed several test auctions to see if there was any uptick in interest. Unfortunately when browsing the category where my items were listed I would only see some of my listed items but not all and when I did a refresh on the page listing some of those items would disappear and some of the missing items would suddenly appear. My listings would come and go with multiple refreshes in my browser while looking at the category. No wonder nothing sold, not even one bid.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Oct 15 02:13:04 2015

This company has to get back to basics to survive. Period.

Make all items searchable by anyone at any time.

Bury Best Match and Cassini.

Bring back two way feedback.

End fees for shipping that is paid for BY THE BUYER.

Would a brick and mortar store pull items off a shelf during business hours, and then put them back onto the same shelf later?

NO! But this is exactly what eBay is doing.....

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 02:32:59 2015

@eXtinctebay---I agree 100000%

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 04:34:47 2015

I put a nice vintage collectible item on and after three days with only one view I went to see where it was in search. It was not on Ebay, by any means, even by title.
Also I noticed lots of silver jewelry selling for 99 cents when I looked at sold items. However, there are none shown when I look to find something to bid on. So it is not wonder those seller got 99 cents. Only one person ever got to see that ad.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 06:29:10 2015

I don't think you can blame "Category" choice as a reason, because it happens on AMZ also.  Many times to find exactly what I want on AMZ I have gone to Google to find it.
If the OP wants to sell "vintage" he should list on Etsy.  I typed in antique fishing creel in Etsy and found:
BR>Or
he should list on Ruby Lane.
In other words go to those sites that are more "search" friendly and not as crowded as EB.  EB has sellers from all over the world, in China.  I've started moving my clothing and accessories to Tradesy which is strictly for women, and have had 3 sales since the summer.  None of those items moved on EB and I listed them for years it seems.
I have learned.  Don't depend on EB as your MAIN sales outlet.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Oct 15 07:13:27 2015

eXtinctBay, excellent advice....not sure why eBay management does not understand this. It has become clear to me that they don't want to understand this and they are in denial of what once made eBay so successful.

by: justsaying This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 15 09:16:13 2015

eXtinctBay gets my vote, too.  But, it's not just eBay, now Etsy's following suit, too.  Why don't these internet giants just KISS??!!!!
I don't want to learn how to use the newest method of "searching" for something to buy every other week, with a different method for every site or search engine!

This user has validated their user name. by: kellewic

Thu Oct 15 09:23:35 2015

I just can't believe so many people keep banging their heads against the eBay wall. It's the most horrible site ever made - pretty sure the code is still circa 1999. They just keep piling more crap on top of crap.

I've had far more luck selling locally than anywhere online lately. High shipping costs are sucking the life from online sales.

I have OK luck on Etsy and just started looking at eCrater with only a few items listed so far. Looking at setting up my own store, but Shopify is the best I can find for that and I'm not 100% convinced of the value for the monthly cost yet.