Tue Oct 6 2015 14:09:53

New eBay Mobile App Sends Order to Old Address

By: Reader

Last week I decided to use the NEW eBay Mobile App via my Smart Phone to buy something when I was not at home.  I downloaded the app (I had an older version on the phone) and although some things were annoying we figured it out and managed to buy the item we wanted.

As far as either my husband or myself can remember we were NEVER asked to enter OR select a physical delivery or account address.

Today while checking the Tracking I noticed that the item was allegedly delivered to "Mailbox" last Friday.  Knowing that our carrier would NOT leave a package at the mailbox I managed to check further and noticed that the package was delivered to a town on the opposite side of the State!  I finally managed to find the ACTUAL address the item was delivered to and it was a very out of date alternate address from one of my kids college apartments.

I know that when I DID use an alternate address I had to go and SELECT and confirm that I WANTED to use that address and it had to be "on file" - but we have not used this for 5 YEARS now--and we certainly would have NOTICED if this had been on offer when we were buying this item last week!

I have no idea whether or not this was a PayPal address - again; out of date and certainly NOT something we CHOSE; or an artifact from some eBay archive.

The item is not replaceable from the seller (who as far as I can see did nothing wrong;  if either eBay or PP sent her this addy she has no way to know it is not valid).

Has anyone ELSE had problems like this or other issues using this Mobile App?  And to think THIS is what eBay is basing its ENTIRE future plans on!

I have to say - it was HARD to use; annoyingly set up; and obviously did not WORK.
Sign me,
Stumped!!!!

New eBay Mobile App Sends Order to Old Address   New eBay Mobile App Sends Order to Old Address

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 6 19:40:47 2015

I am a seller and have had maybe a similar issue with one buyer -  1 in over 20K orders - I can only advise every buyer - to always ensure the Paypal ship to address is as you want it.  As a seller we are at a mercy that this part is accurate.  If I were you, I would speak with paypal to have this reviewed in detail.  Good Luck.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Oct 7 14:51:52 2015

Neither ebafia nor PreyPal understand that buyers also have responsibilities, and two of those responsibilities are to have their correct email address registered with both criminal entities as well as their current physical address.

When one or both occurs, sellers should NOT be punished, Devin Wenig.

Instead buyers should receive policy violations as ebay and PayPal policy both call for current email and physical addresses.

Sellers are mind readers nor do we have crystal balls.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Oct 7 14:53:02 2015

That should have read Sellers are NOT mind readers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Wed Oct 7 19:27:20 2015

My question is why use a mobile phone to buy anything? Clearly inferior for viewing, reading, doing research, and entering information such as your address or name.
Then again, 20%+ of my customers use mobile according to eBay. (Does that include tablets too?).

PS. Buyer can get a refund if it is not as described......

by: tango This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 8 00:34:06 2015

I don't think that sellers are punished for shipping to the address as shown during checkout - never happened to me - ebay does back you up on that if the buyer has the wrong address listed in the paypal record, no matter if by mistake or ? whatever - but its a hassle for both parties that no one needs.
TO: AI G - yes, but they actually have to ship the product back unless the seller waives it -  you cannot return what you didn't receive to your current address -  that was a very silly note.  If it shows the Zip code that the buyer used at the time of purchase and shows delivered, the seller has no negative impact.  And most buyers are just like most sellers - honest people & as such, we know we all can make a mistake & can usually work it out just fine!
20+ % mobile - counts anything from phones to tablets to last years Xmas Tree - its pretty accurate.
nite nite

This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Thu Oct 8 08:30:27 2015

@tango

Just being a little facetious. But if someone wanted to mail back an empty box, it's been done before.

And yes, 99.999% of all buyers are quite honest. It just seems that we hear about the .001% way out of proportion on this forum - not that I'm making any judgements; this is the place to vent.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 8 11:04:23 2015

@ Stumped -- Go into PayPal and delete any shipping address that is no longer valid, and specify which one you want to make ''primary'' (re-set the primary one it the one you want is already designated primary). While you are there get rid of old invalid email addresses PP may have on file.

My experience was that until fairly recently you could not delete anything - they kept old useless addys on file ''forever'' but now you can revise your list.

Do the same thing in your Ebay account.  If your primary address(es) is/are already checked, enter it/them again just to be safe.

On a related note -- It's possible eBay changes are messing up settings of non-related programs that depend on them (something in your phone).  My snipe job settings were TOTALLY messed up for about two days - trying unsuccessfully to place snipes in a program I've used for YEARS and am fully subscribed to (so there should have been no problem at all) I kept getting error message after error message and the snipe program absolutely refused to work with eBay (the error messages kept saying something about needing to change eBay settings, or eBay didn't recognize my settings).  After trying to snipe in 3 different browsers (Firefox, IE and Chrome) I am convinced this was caused by eBay setting changes. This was within my snipe SUBSCRIPTION program, but the ''public'' snipe for unregistered guests worked just fine !! Go figure.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 8 11:07:57 2015

@Stumped - just a further thought . I would use the phone to make the changes in your accounts.

It sounds to me like somehow there was something lost between the new and the old apps.  Like addresses not updated or something.

I don't use this Mobile stuff at all so I don't know. Just guessing but I would redo my account settings using both the phone and the PC .

by: meci This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 9 09:54:10 2015

Helps explain why about 1 in every 15 - 20 orders we have a request to change their ship to address after payment has been made.  Some buyers are catching it but we they don't we have to reship.  So nice of eBay to be so helpful in providing us wrong data over their secured network.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 10 01:36:03 2015

Actually the OP on this one.  And have some UPDATES on this issue.

The address was confirmed changed BY EBAY--and was visible on my screen-as my "Primary Ship To Address"---with my ACTUAL Primary Ship to addy hidden for this ONE transaction.

This addy has since been deleted.

Ebay had "no idea"  what happened and aparently--spoiler alert!--there are LOTS of "bugs"  and "glitches"  on the Mobile App.

They tried to INSIST that I file a "Case" AGAINST the Seller--which I refused to do--and so they hung up on me.  Upon calling back the next AM I was able to finally get a USA based CSR Supv and altho she understood better what I was calling about she was at a loss as to what to do.

We ended up agreeing that the Seller was NOT at fault;  and that the ebay system was at fault;  on Paypal my address (there was only ONE)  was correct so it was just the luck of the draw that the seller used the old one from ebay.

She issued me eBayBucks Credit--which I can only use until 19 October---well better than nothing--and assured me--in writing--that there would be NO DEFECTS ASSESSED TO THE SELLER.

As far as the item goes--I have spoken to the PO where the package went and they are going to try and get the recipient to give it back--unless they happen to have a kid with the same size feet the package is pretty useless!  Who knows if this will happen or if the box will be returned to the sender.  I have been in touch with the seller and have assured her that if it DOES get sent back I will pay for re-shipment.

I still find it bizarre that this is what ebay is basing it's WHOLE FUTURE on.  A system that does not WORK. That reverts to address' that were NEVER "Primary Ship To"  addy's.  And a different system that DEMANDS that a buyer file a defect case against a seller--when the seller did what ebay TOLD them TO do.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 10 01:42:41 2015

For those who question::: "Why would anyone use their phone?"---I had pre-shopped this item on my lap top--and why would any one use a LAP TOP with only a 15 inch screen when you could use a desk top with a--what--20 inch screen or hook it to the TV in my living room with a 60 inch screen!

Well anyways---the item was due to end and I needed to double check the size so I took my phone with me to a BIRTHDAY PARTY--and attempted to place the order using the NEW EBAY MOBILE APP.

Nothing wrong with this and no need to be snotty over it.

And I am highly UNlikely to be that "Liar Buyer"  we all complain about---I really wanted these boots for this grand kid for one thing;  and the package was sent to the WRONG ADDRESS--after EBAY changed the address for shipment!

Some should read before getting all hot under the collar about this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Shop and Ship

Sun Oct 11 13:17:18 2015

Another 2 minutes of my life gone that I'll never get back again ;-)