Mon Oct 5 2015 20:26:58

eBay Changes User's Preferences When It Comes to Displaying Ads

By: Reader

Is it just me, or have other users found that eBay keeps changing their saved "Advertising Preferences" (which is found under the "General Preferences" section of the "Site Preferences" page of the "Account" tab) on an almost weekly basis, from "No" to "Yes", by adding a green check to the unchecked opt-in box?

For reference purposes, computer screen-shot images of the Advertising Preferences and the eBay AdChoices opt-in sections have been attached to this message.

While I am not sure if eBay is violating any laws by engaging in this practice, besides being unethical, changing site users' preferences without their consent appears to render the advertising opt-in option completely irrelevant.
A Vigilant eBayer

eBay Changes User's Preferences When It Comes to D   eBay Changes User's Preferences When It Comes to D

by: menco This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 6 10:07:58 2015

Yes, your eBay preferences (all of them) are completely  irrelevant.

by: menco This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 6 10:08:25 2015

Except to us.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 7 00:01:40 2015

I am continually having to go and re-do my INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING preference--I will review my listings and there it is AGAIN---I allegedly have NO International shipping--except--I DO ship Internationally!

I do NOT use the Global Shipping scam tho--and this is not on ALL of my items--just a large enough number that it gets real annoying trying to KEEP UP with this and re-do it over and over and over.

Am I surprised that ebay bots opt to go CHANGE your preferences?  Nope!  This week they changed my SHIP TO ADDRESS---after 15 years at the SAME address they opted to use a secondary addy where no one I know has lived for 5 years as my "Primary"---costing me the item and almost costing my seller a defect or two.  Now I have to explain to a 9 year old why her gift is not going to get here--because ebay screwed up by changing MY settings without MY knowledge!

Ebay is like the Mafia but not as honest.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 7 10:20:42 2015

This isn't the only thing that doesn't work - when buying on ebay if I'm outbid those annoying stupid popups that let you know your outbid? You can't get rid of those either. I've called ebay multiple times on how to turn them off. they've walked me thru the process 3x's now - still get them. First of all when bidding on an item I know how much I'm willing to pay for an item and I always put my max bid in from the gitgo. I don't need ebay to annoy me over and over again. 2nd if I'm working doing listings those annoying popups freeze the screen until they disappear. So I thought ebay wanted us to list more? My solution? I quit buying now.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 8 11:14:57 2015

@whatever - Go with a snipe service -- try www.esnipe.com or www.vrane.com .

If you use a snipe you can register your max and eBay won't have a clue about what or if you are bidding!

Of course if your max is not high enough, you won't win. But at least you won't get the popups .

We find them truly aggravating, beyond annoying. I keep responding to get rid of them to their ''what do you think of these'' requests but nothing happens.

The latest {sigh} is a new email when I lose an auction: SORRY YOU GOT BEAT OUT or whatever the wording is, that includes ''similar'' stuff they want you to bid on ........  adjusting my message filters to send those directly to JUNK.