Sun Oct 4 2015 21:27:52

Small Sellers Penalized by New eBay Rules

By: Reader

People are failing to notice that for small sellers with the 12 month lookback, we are screwed. Larger sellers are fine, they get a 3-month lookback that gives them time to assure acceptance scans are being done, during that only 3 month lookback.

Small sellers like me, on the other hand are being effected RETROACTIVELY with no time to keep TRS (Top Rated Seller status).

SO, big sellers get a break on the new acceptance scans and small sellers are effected retroactively.

Herin lies the crux of the unfairness. IF they did only a 3 month lookback for everybody, it would be fairer to the average small eBay seller.

These retroactive changes always effect the smaller sellers and they always benefit the bigger sellers.
Mass Howler

Small Sellers Penalized by New eBay Rules   Small Sellers Penalized by New eBay Rules

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Oct 5 00:24:25 2015

We'll likely never see the words "fair" and "ebay" in the same sentence.

The only sellers ebafia treats "fairly" are the Diamonds.

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 01:44:15 2015

LOL. You are so right Ming !

by: donald This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 01:50:06 2015

At Mass Howler, Don't worry eBay is trying very hard to copy Amazon. Amazon rates all sellers  on the 3 month lookback. Very soon eBay will catch up!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 02:04:29 2015

Ebay is about as "Fair and Balanced"  as Faux Noose is.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Oct 5 02:49:24 2015

For sellers with less than 400 transactions in the previous 90 day period for eval are eval'd on the previous 12 months.

BUT one of the easiest things to misunderstand is the difference in how Ebay looks back on DSRs and how Ebay looks back on shipment scans.  They are NOT the same.

For the DSR look back, it IS on the previous 12 months.  But that is not true for the shipment scans or acceptance scans as MH is referring to it.  On shipping it is on the past 90 days for EVERYONE.

You can prove this to be correct by watching your dashboard.  Look at the numbers.  Look at how many transactions are being considered in the tracking uploaded percentage.

For example, on one of my accounts that is eval'd on the previous 12 month period, lets say it says something like 99 out of 105 transactions have been verified.  That account has had far more transactions in the past 12 month period than 105, BUT in the past 90 days it is accurate.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 04:28:14 2015

Don't you see that ebay backtracks and changes almost everything they say- you have so much confidence in ebay!
Silly of me to think any of ebays changes effect small sellers more than the preferred diamonds.
Thank you for setting us straight- ebay is a kind and wonderful company to us, the small original sellers.
Now I am not at all worried about these changes.

I also do not mind AT ALL that ebay is now steering folks away from deals with small trs sellers! The dsr's will not be used to hurt me and buyers will be forced to contact me before opening cases- I am so relieved.
MH
(This equal playing field is great)!

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 07:28:39 2015

All of these sites are built on the backs of small sellers and then we get left in the dust. It seems to be an all too common theme.

by: scrunchiesbysherry This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 07:32:54 2015

No matter what ebay does, there are people who bitch about something without knowing the facts.  ebay is only looking back to 9/12 for the scans. So before you start searching rumors, get yours fact straight.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 5 09:55:02 2015

@ Ming

I'm not a diamond but sometimes I do feel like a lump of coal ~ LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 5 09:57:39 2015

@ MH

12 months or 3 months whats the difference?

If you have recent defects you want the 12 month rating if you have defects older then 3 months you want the 3 month rating.

I could really care less how eBay operates as long as I know what the rules are I can adapt to them.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 10:44:11 2015

Ebay is not only giving us a chance to PROVE that we shipped within our stated handling time, but protecting us if we do so. If I have that acceptance scan and the package takes longer than anticipated or the buyer simply *feels* it takes to long to arrive, I'm protected by that acceptance scan. I for one, am happy about that.

It's a very rare day that I don't ship within my handling time (can't remember the last time that occurred).

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Oct 5 12:50:55 2015

@MH

You read far more into my postings than I ever say or intend.  I never said a thing about my opinion of Ebay much less that I have "confidence" in Ebay.  So shall we just stick to the facts.

Whatever yours or anyone else's opinion of Ebay is, that doesn't change what I said.  It is a fact that you can prove for yourself by looking at your dashboard numbers.

I also never said anything about your opinion/feelings being "silly".  I didn't say it nor do I believe that.

I specifically address what you stated in your letter to Ina.  Because you don't like what I said doesn't change it from being true.

Besides, none of this is new.  It has been this way for a long time now.  And in a few months it will change and very likely get much better for smaller sellers as well as other size sellers.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 13:55:12 2015

The fact remains....
Each holiday season we are misled in a major way on a major issue.

2013- Ken Matsura comes out and says right after the holiday season buyers will be required to contact sellers before opening a case- what happened?

2014- 90 day holiday returns.

What secret and devious plan does ebay have for 2015?

You guys can trust and quote ebay all you want but each year there is a SURPRISE.

Unfair policy is brough out in very small steps, they break it down into tiny parts so folks do not notice, before you know it- bad policy is in place. This is how unfair policy is put into place.

We can know and quote any thing or policy ebay trots out but to defend a company that CONSTANTLY surprises and tricks its customers is not a company worth defending (or quoting).

It can change on a whim, and it does.

Ebay puts out these policies and WAITS for our reaction- it is up to us to react or SWALLOW.

Is Auctionbytes going to become just like the ebay boards- whenever anyone says anything bad about ebay are folks going to come out of the woodwork and attack- I hope not, but when changes are unfair and are part of a campaign to weaken us we need to react accordingly.

Massachusetts Howler
(Sellers have adapted enough).

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 14:04:42 2015

After the holidays I will be referring people back to this thread.
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Oct 5 14:30:09 2015

@MH

Well now I'm confused.  Your letter was specifically about DSRs and shipping scans.  Unless I misread something, which of course is always possible.

The DSRs and shipping scans are not new to this holiday season.  We have had to deal with this mess for a long time.  However there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel if in fact Ebay does as the Fall Seller Update states and implements the changes in late February.  But only time will tell for that.

I don't think anyone here was defending Ebay's predisposition to spring some holiday change that usually causes many sellers significant issues.  I'm not sure anyone on this thread even knew that was what you were trying to get at until now.

You stated ''Is Auctionbytes going to become just like the ebay boards- whenever anyone says anything bad about ebay are folks going to come out of the woodwork and attack...''  I find that quite humorous as it is usually the opposite here.  But with that said, I don't think anyone that posted was ''defending'' Ebay.

There is a HUGE difference between stating a FACT and defending something.  Your letter was voicing your concern over DSRs and Shipping Scans.  You were/are mistaken about how the shipping scans work.  That was brought to your attention here, NOTHING MORE.  You don't like the fact you were mistaken.  It happens to all of us from time to time.  Learn something new and move on.

Now you want to change the subject to Holiday Surprises initiated by Ebay.  You are so right, the past several years they have always thrown one at us and they are usually unpleasant.  So far I haven't seen a hint of one and possibly the new CEO won't be issuing one, but only time will tell.

by: Susie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 14:52:01 2015

Keep in mind that the handling time scan is only one part of the equation. If I have a package with an origin scan outside of my handling time, it won't count against me as long as the item is DELIVERED within the date range promised.

I use the Economy Shipping option because of the larger delivery window, and I doubt I've had a single item delivered late in the past year. If you use a large enough shipping window, you'll be just fine.

Too many sellers make the mistake of over-promising and under-delivering instead of the other way around.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 15:00:19 2015

Everything can change here- that is the point and it always benefits bigger sellers.

Ebay says that data on acceptance scans will not be counted prior to September, but often they backpedal on statements of policy and we ARE rated on older data they said would not count.

All this stuff is connected- they are not isolated policies.

You can be amused with my concerns- I have them every year and they are almost always validated.
MH

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 16:06:10 2015

If ebay uses older tracking data than they promise, I, and many others, are screwed.

IF they change the look back on tracking I could be hurt- IF they use older tracking data, which knowing ebay THEY MIGHT.
Whenever ebay starts collecting a new metric- I worry for us ALL.
For us ALL, Marie and tg included.
This is exactly the type of thing they flip-flop on every year.
I, like baby bit and others have relied on post office 24 hour kiosks and we absolutely do not have acceptance scans before ebay made their announcement.
This change ebay has made- requiring the scans in 24 hours leaves our tails in the wind once again and there really is NO TELLING what ebay is going to do with that data.

When we were able to use the 24 hour kiosks to get our items out to our buyers we were able to get them out in HOURS for our buyers- now they sit in the car all weekend long- SLOWING OUR PROCESSES and now we have to rely on new metrics to prove we got them out in time. This process ebay is using to speed up our shipments is unnecessary and actually SLOWS the mail. Combine this with the PO not scanning, and the shipment actually having a Monday date on it as opposed to a Saturday date, opens us up to DEFECTS.

I wrote a simple concern to Ina and she knows what is up or she would not have posted it- these "measurements" ebay uses change all the time. I did not expect her to post it- I was just sharing my concern with her.

(The big picture).

You SEE??
Mass Howler

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 5 16:07:58 2015

My worry is that they are going to change the lookback- I KNOW that it is currently 3 months but who is so sure that this data will not be used against us in some retroactive manner?
(I was not trying to mislead- didn't even expect this to be posted).
MH

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Oct 5 21:11:17 2015

@ MH

"For myself, at trs+, 100% fb, 100% tracking uploaded, 100% on time, 99.7 verified by carrier, $397,000 in sales I am fine."

So what's the problem?

Are you worrying about something that HASN'T happened or am I missing something?

1 2 3  [Next Page]