Mon Jan 26 2015 20:42:25

eBay Uses Customer Service Line to Run Ads?

By: Reader

Just had an eBay moment that convinced me that the end is near and it's time to dump my inventory!!

I called customer support for help w/ a refund (if a seller returns something now they need to do a "return request" first - which very few do). So returned item arrives w/o a "return request", I want to refund, but there is no way to get a refund of eBay fees without calling customer support.

So today, for probably the 10th time this month, I call customer support in order to get a refund of the eBay fees for a refund.

I had to listen through 3 sleazy pitches for 1) emergency notification device, 2) $100 major store credit for $1.98 and 3) cruise for $49.

Then they tell me the support number has changed.  I call the new support number and get a pitch from ADT for home security.

This is really unbelievable!!
M.

eBay Uses Customer Service Line to Run Ads?   eBay Uses Customer Service Line to Run Ads?

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 26 20:53:54 2015

AS IF an irate seller calling eBay CS to try to resolve and issue is interested in being pitched to buy something...once again shows how out of touch eBay is with reality.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jan 26 21:22:22 2015

It seems rather obvious that this is another desperation move by eBay to get money. They're already running ads on sellers' listings, so running ads on their own phone lines seems like the next obvious step. If eBay has lost as many sellers as most of think they have, I guess we can expect a fee increase in the Spring Seller Up-Date.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jan 26 22:54:24 2015

And for the likes of this Johnny Ho gets a $23 million retention fee! Clearly, all those on the eBay Board are as incompetent as the Ho himself ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jan 27 01:14:44 2015

As eBay becomes a stand alone company, look for more sleazy moves like this designed to generate revenue for eBay. eBay can't grow sales, so they have to monetize everything in sight in order to keep the millions flowing to their overcompensated corporate management.

Think about the possibilities!!!

If eBay gets paid per call, and toward end of a quarter finds they need more revenue, they could fabricate a system glitch, fail to post an announcement, and then cash in as tens of thousands of buyers and sellers call in to customer service to find out what is going on.

Bay has now found a way to make money off their failing IT infrastructure!!

Imagine how many ads they will be able to force buyers and sellers to listen to after they cut back on eBay's already under staffed customer service department.

If the evil genius behind this move is staying with eBay, it spells disaster for the future of the marketplace.

eBay's fee paying sellers are already unhappy with third party ads eBay places on their listings.  The difference going forward is that if those sellers want to call eBay to complain, they will have to sit through more advertisements generating more revenue for eBay to speak their mind.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 27 02:50:56 2015

I guess they decided they needed to entertain us on those long waits to get to a live person.

As to you other problem.  You do not have to call Ebay to get your FVF back.  In fact you do not EVER want to refund a buyer fully without doing a cancellation anyways.  If you do a full refund and do NOT file for a cancellation, you get a DEFECT.

You need to file for a cancellation before or right after you refund.  It is easiest now to file the cancellation and then it will ask you if you want to refund, just say yes.  The refund will happen and you get your FVFs back.

No need to call Ebay and wait or listen to some worthless advertising.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 27 07:06:04 2015

Pretty soon eBay require their employees to have adhesive vinyl wrap advertising on the side of their cars. ;)

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 07:48:12 2015

I received this morning a ad that had e bay logo left hand corner from a seller in china, I never did business with them at all, and it was as ebay gave them my address to sell me something, and e mail looked as if e bay sent letter them selves to promote their product , yes ebay is giving and selling info to sellers and box stores, ill bet this is covered in my account info giving them the right to do so.

ebay means
Every
Buy
Against
You

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 09:45:02 2015

Good reminder, Marie!

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 09:59:31 2015

So desperate.  Do anything to make money.  All at at the cost of the customer (sellers)

by: WhoKnewIt This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 10:19:24 2015

I had to deal with Customer Service last night.  Still just a joke.....it was the LAST straw for me.  I closed my account this morning.  I finally feel "FREE" after 10 years!  Never again....EVER.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Tue Jan 27 10:21:00 2015

(Taking a big sip of KoolAid.)

eBay is being gracious enough to introduce you to Trusted Partners who will make your life better.

Additionally, these Trusted Partners have paid for this opportunity. These savings will be passed on to eBay's valued customers in the form of reduced fees.

You and your employees will appreciate these offers, as opposed to elevator music, or repeats of the award winning, eBay Radio Show.

Our Trusted Leader, Big John, has almost fulfilled his promise of an eBay you would not recognize.

(Drinking more KoolAid)

eBay is not a venue, it is a way of life!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 10:59:03 2015

I'm not sure this is right.  Every time I call EBAY I get a 1-800 # and a confirmation code.  I enter the code and almost immediately a rep is on the phone.
Did you go to the EB website and then to Contact us?

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Jan 27 11:48:03 2015

It makes eBay look desperate.

Oh, wait... they ARE!

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 13:06:52 2015

Ebay needs to advertise however, advertising to angry sellers who are being maligned by fraudulent buyers is not wise. Another ebay gump moment

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Tue Jan 27 13:39:25 2015

It has been a looong time since I called CS.  I have not heard the ads but they might be better than the horrible loud off-key jack-in-the-box tinkle music they used to play to folks on hold.

My best experience on hold?  A guy contracted with Dell in Mumbai India actually had a lengthy conversation with me on the phone while he was waiting for something to finish scanning.

He quizzed me on how much I knew about India (not much, but more than he expected) and I asked him how to correctly pronounce some Indian words.

It was one of the better CS experiences I've had.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 15:48:22 2015

Haven't had this happen but I have been forced to sit thru ebay ads about BUYER PROTECTION while on HOLD with Paypal--while waiting to speak to a Supv about a BUYER PROTECTION CASE where I WAS the buyer--anbd where ebay told me to SUCK IT UP.

I should SUCK IT UP as a BUYER now----well I have had plenty of practise as a SELLER I guess they feel it will trasnfer well.  However it just made me MAD to have to listen to how ebay is going to MAKE SURE that I get what I ordered or MY MONEY BACK--while I was being told exactly the opposite.

Usually the "ads"  on ebay or PP are self promotion and as such--BS and extremely forgettable.  And I will NEVER buy something from a company I am FORCED to listen to  while on HOLD--I resent any of this and have been known to tell the CSR's in no uncertain terms this.  As I told the PP CSR that day.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 27 16:58:03 2015

I ran into that also. The ads were before anything else. I looked on my phone and it was the number Ebay gave me. I hung up figuring something must of went haywire. Next time I called the number things were back to normal.

"Talk to the Hand, the Ears aren't listening."

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 27 18:49:21 2015

Now not that I agree with Ebay putting advertising on the help line, because I don't.  But what makes them "desperate" in doing so?  Are you guys suggesting / stating that Ebay is the only company that does this?  Are the other companies that do it "desperate"?  Or is it merely the fact that Ebay is doing it that it becomes a "desperate" act?

Just askin, I'm not looking for a verbal thrashing.  I don't like the advertising any better than anyone else.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jan 27 19:20:27 2015

@Marie - If I'm on hold with a company, I very often hear about items they are selling. But if I'm on hold with Pizza Hut, I don't expect to hear ads for Home Depot. You seem to forget that eBay doesn't sell anything; they are just a "venue." So they are charging other companies to run promos while sellers and buyers are stuck on hold. So, yes, that is desperation.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 27 19:24:14 2015

@ Jack

I haven't "forgotten" anything.  I'm very much aware of what Ebay is.  Possibly you missed the part of my post that said that I'm NOT defending them.  I simply asked a couple questions.

Insults aren't necessary, it was simply a question to promote thought.  Nothing more.