Thu Jan 22 2015 12:16:38

eBay Refunds Buyer Who Returned Only Half Their Order

By: Reader

As a long term seller I am used to being treated like a second class citizen by eBay but things are now getting so bad eBay simply do not care about its sellers.

I had a buyer claim an item was faulty so they returned it however they only returned half of the order when asked they freely admitted via eBay messages they had used the other half to repair their faulty item but still wanted a full refund.

So when eBay fully refunded despite being told this I appealed on the phone only to be told "What's your problem you have some of your item back" and it was eBay policy to refund regardless as long as the buyer returned something/anything and my appealed was closed there and then on the phone and I was told there was nothing else I could do.

After posting on facebook I was told they would look again but their team was overrun so I would have to wait and that was 10 days ago
Thomas

eBay Refunds Buyer Who Returned Only Half Their Or   eBay Refunds Buyer Who Returned Only Half Their Or

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jan 22 15:08:06 2015

Of course they did. Crooks help other crooks.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Jan 22 15:14:50 2015

The reality is, those in the eBay executive suite no longer care about anyone but themselves (not that they ever cared otherwise), and they are provisioning their personal lifeboats as fast as they can in anticipation of the foundering that is undoubtedly approaching ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jan 22 15:41:58 2015

It's stories like these that make me so happy that I left eBay at the beginning of 2008. And it will most likely get worse before eBay burns to the ground. OP, if you don't already have an exit plan, start making one, because it looks like eBay won't survive to the end of this year.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 22 16:11:49 2015

That just stinks to high heaven, and I suspect this is actually illegal. Ebay stole money from you, directly.  Just as if they had used a gun.

If you live in California go to the Attorney General's consumer complaint system and put in your complaint against ebay.  Make sure you tell them it's OK to send the consumer complaint to the company.

They will contact ebay by letter and ask them to respond.  If the response does not satisfy the AG (and how could it?) they may sue ebay and make them stop this nonsense.

If you live in another state go to your state's Attorney General and ask for help.  Ebay cannot steal like this.

I really don't think it's at all reasonable that a third party to a transaction like ebay should be the judge, jury and executioner on transactions they had no part of.

They only operate a technology platform.  They neither bought nor sold that item, and they never had it in their possession.  They are the judge now?  I don't think so. They don't have enough knowledge to be the judge, and they are accepting unlimited liability for their bad deeds by getting involved directly in these transactions.

Most of us are perfectly willing to support our customers, and to deal with them in an honest and reasonable way. But buying something, using part of it to repair theirs, returning the rest and getting a full refund?  How in the world can that be legal at all?  It can't be.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 22 16:22:30 2015

Since the buyer used part of what he bought from you to repair his own, you earned the money he paid.

He is not eligible for a refund, and that ebay cannot see that immediately is mind blowing.  Are they actually insane, actually dishonest crooks, or just stupid?  I don't know.

I find it outrageous that anyone would return anything like that.  That is completely dishonest.

I have bought items on ebay needing only a part to fix mine. Used the part, put the rest away for later if needed. I got what I needed, I consider what I paid for the item reasonable for the part I needed.  A part that may not be available,  so that's great. I can't see returning part of what I bought, and keeping parts that I used, that is what crooks would do.  If you use any part of what you bought, you should be paying for it.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 22 16:55:54 2015

Blatant, outright theft on the parts of both the customer and ebay.  And nobody will do a thing about it!  WHY is ANYONE still selling on that site??!!

A customer of my friend tried a similar ploy on an $800 order; she claimed only half of it arrived & she couldn't return the package as some had been used (supplies).  Had the idiot customer not changed her story to "I only liked half of the order", PayPal would likely have ruled in the customer's favor.  The money had already been removed & spent, & my friend had stopped selling, so PayPal would have been the one to foot that bill if they'd allowed the refund!  Amazing how it works when the bill is their loss!!  If there is a chance that they will lose nothing, they will satisfy all the customer's wants & screw the seller!!

Op should call PayPal Trust & Safety & have that buyer watched.  Once successful in a scam, they are likely to do so again!  I've always had suspect buyers' files flagged for future attempts to scam other sellers!  (not that PP would care nowadays...)

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 22 16:59:19 2015

I know it would BACKFIRE, but I'd certainly consider BILLING the RattBasterd who returned the detritus as a PayPal INVOICE / Request for Payment IN FULL.  Just because the BrainDeadBOZO at eBay Customer (dis)-service told you to Suck It Up is no reason to ACTUALLY roll over and take it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Jan 22 18:58:36 2015

I♥JackSparrow writes: ''OP, if you don't already have an exit plan, start making one, because it looks like eBay won't survive to the end of this year.''

Yes indeed... that's one of the most common bits of advice that I've been offering for quite awhile now.

While it's undeniable that eBay is nearing its end-of-life, I think that it will still exist for many more years. (And by ''exist'' I mean ''just barely'' and ''merely a shell of its former self'' ... the same way that AOL still ''exists''.)

Fear has kept many from diversifying. Others still maintain an explicable sense of loyalty to a company that has clearly abandoned them had has absolutely NO regard for them.

I admit it... I was afraid to leave. I was nervous and timid... and that's why I started slow. I didn't just up-and-leave eBay. I wanted to keep my options open while I tested-the-waters.

Having eBay as my ''backup'' allowed me to test and experiment and GROW without (much) fear of failure.

Turns out, it was the BEST MOVE I EVER MADE.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jan 22 19:54:55 2015

@Annie - Since you don't post much now that you've left eBay in your "rear view mirror," I have tried to continue your message about exit plans. You had the best advice of anyone about moving away from eBay, and what you posted a while back should be required reading for anyone who doesn't think there is life after eBay. Your success with your own web site proves that anyone can have a thriving business without the torture of jumping through every eBay hoop, only to have the scamming buyers steal the profits. I left eBay the "wrong" way, by quitting "cold turkey" and then searching for a new place to sell. The sad reality is that eBay is no longer a viable place to sell, and every seller still hanging on needs to formulate a plan that will enable their business to continue once eBay collapses down around them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Unicorns and Rainbows

Thu Jan 22 21:31:06 2015

eBay's Office of The President (that's John Donohoe's office) replied to a similar complaint on the BBB site on Aug. 11, 2014, with the following:

"We do not currently cover faulty returns and consider them a cost of doing business. When you sell on eBay, we consider you a business. One of our goals is to allow our sellers, whether they're large or small, to function as a business. As well as the potential for profit, all business models will have some sort of loss built in; it's important when selling on eBay that you consider this as a possibility."

Translation:  Too bad for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Jan 22 22:16:48 2015

JD and most of his fellow multi millionaire C Level management team will be leaving the company - they never cared about sellers and care even less now.

Mid level management lives under the culture and example set for them by their bosses and know their future is uncertain, so they do not care.

Rank and file employees such as customer service agents know that several thousand employees are facing the loss of their jobs, so they do not care either.

At this point, there is not one person collecting an eBay paycheck that cares about what happens to sellers or the long term survival of the marketplace.  Like so many sellers, the average eBay employee is probably hoping the whole house of cards will come to a crashing halt so they can collect unemployment and escape the madness eBay has become.

eBay sellers are facing an extremely precarious situation until after the corporate split, and likely for months after the split is complete.

It appears highly unlikely that eBay is going to survive very long after the split and if anything is left to salvage, those pieces will be assimilated by another corporate entity, be it Amazon, Alibaba, Google etc... that is assuming that some corporate entity is willing to absorb all the debt along with the rapidly increasing amount of bad will buyers and sellers already have for the existing company.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Jan 23 08:09:55 2015

Ric paints a gloomy but realistic picture.

How's that disruptive innovation going John Donahoe?

Sellers said it would happen, and it is coming to fruition.  Hey, but we're just noise.

I think the only satisfaction for me would be to see JD's smug mug on the cover of Time or Newsweek with the headline "The Man Who Destroyed eBay".

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 23 09:23:26 2015

For eBay, its not about half of the goods being returned or the whole item.

Its the same with all the SNADs that arent really SNAD that eBay forces on sellers.

In a nutshell like everyone above me said - eBay just doesnt care PERIOD.

Newsflash - neither does Amazon. Just try selling electronics and doing FBA. You'll be suprised at the sheer amount of crap that Amazon takes back and dumps on you.

Neither company cares - since its not their money. They just want buyers and they believe that the buyer is ALWAYS right - no matter what.

As for me (and this is where Marie started "disliking me"), I push the items right back on to Amazon. Its "wrong" but if losses are OK, then "you take some too".

As for eBay, so far I've been lucky enough to have been able to talk my way out of eating big losses - so far.

ALL sellers - on ANY platform - need to know - NONE OF THEM care about you. Sellers are on the bottom rung - there to be abused and stepped on.

Leaving is the easy way out - for me at least. eBay gives me (still)  200k a year in sales - leaving because of a few returns - cuts off my nose to spite my face.

I *think* I'm being smarter then they are - I come down on them all the time. I email them things all the time, I threaten lawsuits all the time. When I call "they know me" and they know not to try and push me around. I consider it SHEER luck - I'm not naive enough to think I'm special in anyway.

But I also know that they arent my partners, despite their lies in that court case in France.

I know that the VERO charges against me are BS as I have invoices from manufactorers or distributors for EVERYTHING I sell. I know its business and that somewhere theres an 800 pound gorilla pushing back.

eBay doesnt care what buyers do - thats why inthe resolution center, they changed the process and removed the adding pictures section. They dont need or want to see the item(s) that come back - they just dont care.

My advise - for what ever its worth - if you cant find a home for the goods if/when they come back, DONT SELL THEM on eBay or Amazon, since when/if they do - you will be stuck.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 23 10:40:25 2015

I mentioned this a few months ago, when we had a return arrive broken, and buyer freely admitted they put it in an envelope because it was the cheapest.  Then Ebay told me in no uncertain terms that if I escalated the buyer would win.   They said if I "invited" a return, it could be returned in any condition, it was "the cost of doing business"
This goes directly against their stated policy.
"If you need to return an item, be sure to follow these item condition guidelines. For details on the seller's return policy (including how long you have to return an item, who pays for return shipping, and restocking fees), check the Return policy section of the listing.

Policy overview

You must return an item in the same condition as it was received. You must also include, in the same condition as it was received:
All packaging such as boxes, bags, and tags
Accessories such as cords and remotes
Certificates, manuals, and warranty cards
"Free gifts" or bonus items
All items included in a bundle
Additional requirements for items in specific categories are outlined below.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account."

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jan 23 11:25:40 2015

@pace - I've never disagreed with you about anything, until now. You state: "ALL sellers - on ANY platform - need to know - NONE OF THEM care about you." That's simply not true on eCrater. They go out of their way to make sellers successful. If any items are disapproved by Google, they let you know which ones so you can fix the problem. If a buyer gives you unwarranted negative feedback, they remove it. They don't override any seller's policies. They are the complete opposite of eBay.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 23 12:28:15 2015

ebay helps these crooks, exactly why I no longer sell there amongst other reasons,
this is clearly aiding and abetting theft simple,
if the amount is over $300.00 in most states a felony!, in addition OP can file an ICC3 at Icc3.gov and report this person, in addition it is mail fraud, some states you can go to your local court and file a small claims action were as the buyer will be subpoenaed to go to the court in your state, of course they will not, then you will be granted a lien against them, be sure to name ebay in the suit, as they were part of the theft, once you receive the lien you can send it to e bay to be paid and they will pay this rite away, I did this over a Cartier watch returned without the movement though I sent it thru an attorney I was granted trouble damages 3X the amount sold for, I did receive a check from e bay after the attorney started billing them for collection costs op I hope you do not just suck it up as e bay will try to tell you,
however theft is theft regardless who steals it from you.

ebay means
Every
Buy
Against
You

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 23 12:45:32 2015

and by the way the buyer on the Cartier watch though cost ebay money to this day still remains on e bay and has left on 25 transactions 5 negative's on sellers each seller replied untrue item returned not as sold, empty box, altered, one reply was simply Thief,
e bay helps these people do this several times before they will do if anything that's why everyone does not sell on e bay anything they cannot afford to loose or give away, the shame is that this "e bay "elete" buyer" cost this OP the cost of the item, shipping , listing fees, final value fee, return shipping, paypal fees, and now has a unsalable item, that resentfully cost them money to sell and received stress for no reason, purely a shame

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 23 18:47:28 2015

STINKS!
Tell them you are paying 1/2 of your bill, aske them why they are mad, and tell them "At least you got 1/2 of it back".
Se what THEY say.
MH (Arseholes)/.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 24 19:13:40 2015

iheart :) you are probably %100 - I dont sell there so I dont know - and they may be the exception to the rule.

What I DID learn is that (for example) in an Amazon A-Z case for item not received - Delivery Confirmation is useless and not accepted by Amazon regardless of what it says on USPS.com.

Since DC only "delivers" to houses and or zip codes and NOT people themselves DC isnt considered proof of delivery. If a buyer says INR then you automatically loose on an A-Z case. Apparently according to Amazon - USPS lies.

I imagine this is comming to eBay soon too.

by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 25 09:36:27 2015

iheartjacksparrow is right about eCrater.com It's a very honest, decent site that strives to help their sellers. There is very little interference in the sales process. Nothing but positive experiences.