Tue Jan 13 2015 06:58:32

eBay Forces Seller to Pay Higher Rates for Return Shipping

By: Reader

Now that we are mandated by eBay to pay for the return shipping from our buyers, I have noticed that we no longer have the option through the returns process to send our customers' return labels.  Instead, I have to use eBay's more expensive labels.

We were pushed into the managed returns process by eBay. About 50% of the labels eBay generates for my customers are because the customer ordered the wrong thing, not because of an issue on my end.

And now, instead of being able to send a less expensive label to my customer, eBay is billing me for their more expensive labels.

I called eBay and they state the system is working as designed. I'm sure it is because they made an additional $25 off me last month just on the difference of the postage rates from my postage provider compared to what eBay charges me.

I know the most economical way to ship my products, eBay doesn't. eBay needs to let us have the option of sending a label to the customer instead of overcharging sellers for their labels.

Signed,
Tired of being nickeled and dimed

eBay Forces Seller to Pay Higher Rates for Return   eBay Forces Seller to Pay Higher Rates for Return

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 09:34:15 2015

When ebay first announced that sellers would be paying the return shipping on SNADs/defective/etc., they claimed that sellers would never be charged more for the return shipping label than the cost of the original shipping.  When asked multiple (multiple) times who would make up the difference, if any, the infamously anti-seller-support "ebay Jeff" person on the forum never gave a straight answer.
Now the answer is clear - it's the SELLER!
Because once again, ebay has lied about how a new policy would work.
Shocking!

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 10:13:44 2015

So it's not just me?  Everyone is now forced into managed returns?  My settings say I'm not in it, but recent customer issues suggest otherwise and I don't have the option to allow the buyer to pay return shipping.

I thought the force into managed returns wasn't going to start until the Holiday Season of 2015.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 10:26:11 2015

Just another way for ebay to make extra money at sellers expense. This is done by going through ebay and the managed shipping which ebay controls. I believe they get a cut of all postage, ups etc.. If they didn't why woul they go through the expense???

by: BB2 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 10:49:26 2015

Without pulling up the original announcement, I believe eBay said managed/hassle free returns would be rolled out to all sellers BY holiday 2015... starting in 2015. I got my first one on 12/27. I was in return hell for two weeks. I am hoping it was a temporary influx due to the holiday surge. It is definitely not sustainable in the long haul, at least not for a small seller.

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 11:30:43 2015

If it's mandated already we're looking at a numbers game I think.  Once the cost of returns exceed the 20% discount returns won't be accepted.  Since eBay is going to side with the buyer no matter what, offering returns or not really doesn't matter to the buyer since they will always be believed.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 11:41:24 2015

I cannot help but to think that EBay is imploding. Why do they continue to rip off and mistreat sellers when they are clearly losing them in droves? What large corporation with any amount of care about success continues to beat down their paying customers? It astounds me that EBay thinks that their continued abuse of sellers is going to help them succeed.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that EBay is going downhill quickly yet they continue to add to their unethical and illogical procedures.  It just doesn't make good business sense to tear down their own site therefore I get the feeling that they simply don't care anymore because they are failing so quickly.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 11:52:16 2015

i'm no longer forced to pay return shipping. I just stopped listing on ebay. problem solved

by: kilogirl78 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 11:56:30 2015

I'd decided that I was only going to go into managed returns when I absolutely HAD to.  So imagine my surprise when all of a sudden a few months ago, I started getting mandated to accept returns and pay for the postage and couldn't charge restocking fees.  I had to "elect" to go into managed returns so I could at least charge a restocking fee.  Rip off! And the returns process on eBay is awful.  Instead of one interchange between me and the customer authorizing the return, now I get 4-6 emails from ebay.  A buyer wants to return an item, a buyer has sent the item, have you got the item yet, have you got the item now, you need to refund the buyer...

by: kilogirl78 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 11:57:47 2015

Also, the wording on the ebay page for the postage never exceeding what we paid has changed.  It now states, it will never exceed the cost of sending the item IF we originally used ebay labels. Hahah. Get ripped off twice...

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Jan 13 13:00:59 2015

kilogirl brings up the important point. Ebay's cost guarantee only takes place if you used Ebay shipping for the original shipment. That leaves those of us who use other shipping services stuck with whatever Ebay decides to charge for a return. I'll bet their default is Priority, at minimum, which far exceeds the usual low-cost First Class shipping I use on my lightweight items. They don't give us a way of specifying the return shipping method, which they really should do. A lot of high-volume sellers get discounts on shipping that exceed what Ebay can offer, so it's unfair to force them into using Ebay's more costly services. It also interferes with those who have their own return workflow in place. They seem to forget that many of us are running real businesses and are not just hobbyists cleaning out our closets.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 13:03:11 2015

this is why I stopped selling of fleapay

ebay means
every buy against you!!

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 13:41:14 2015

eBay label printing is great for a small seller, but it's so slow for anyone shipping more than a few items a day.  I use Stamps.com with software loaded locally on my PC and I would bet using eBay labels would take me an extra hour a day.  Right now I pick, pack, AND ship the 30 to items I sell a day in about an hour.

My prices on eBay will have to increase and I may have to stop accepting returns at all.  It's worth noting there's no option to send a replacement item with managed returns.

by: Not A FOOL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 14:16:52 2015

Seems there aren't any areas in which eBay isn't failing....and all by self inflicting wounds. When a vast majoriety of Sellers leave, rest assured you still won't see any changes for the better. IMO Its all down hill from here and the end will come swiftly.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue Jan 13 14:53:06 2015

Agree with the OP! Their signature says it all.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 14:54:00 2015

Ebay has to pay for the 23 million dollar bonus given to Donahoe and the 8 million given to Swan.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 15:54:29 2015

The mandated returns (forced returns) are not part of the Managed Returns process.

Its part of the "update" that eBay forced on people back in September.

It voided the 14 days return policies alot of us had and pushed it all to 30.

It also introduced us all the the fraud but revenue generating concept called "buyers remorse".

Yes eBay makes money off the label as does Paypal .... thats cause its all a scam.

NOTHING on eBay is honest and above board. Its all a con game designed to take as much from sellers as possible.

Some buyer survey told them so (amongst other things) so eBay went ahead and did it.

JD makes Bernie Madoff look like a first grader when it comes to confidence swindling.

Each and every UPdate (they are all really DOWNdates) steals abit more from you.

eBay designed its TOS/UA to make so that by logging on, you agree to ANYTHING they want.

It becomes a contract between the seller and eBay and while eBay is imposing its terms, "you agree" from the onset to it becomes quasi legal.

Its all basically white collar crime.

eBay "treats" smaller sellers "that way" because they can. Its not in their interest to help you - so why should they?

Do you think that your 20 cent listing fee is buying Lear jets for JD? Is it buying houses in Malibu for Wenig? NO its not. Neither is the $3 fvf on the shirt you just sold.

eBay yrs ago was transformed from ecommerce to money laundering. eBay pays certain sellers and certain sellers and manufactorers pay eBay.

THAT is the WHOLE game in a nutshell.

Auctions are "cute" it helps eBays image for "Newbies". "YOU can win a $600 iphone at an auction on eBay for $25" or some crap like that - and PLENTY of people believe it. NONE of them have ever had their items or funds stolen by eBay so they dont know the "game" yet.

In my other post I gave the example of eBay paying a seller $50 a handbag to sell belowe cost, eBay ate the same day shipping (YES SAME DAY) and gave the guy the front page. $50 x 2808pcs + the shipping (and that was yesterday). He had 4400+ people watching the items (listing).

How much money did eBay pay YOU? Me? none, in fact I got a pile of SNAD thats not really SNAD items that Im taking a loss on .... I dont get $200, I loose a turn and I dont pass "go".

G-d Da_m eBay crooks!

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 15:55:54 2015

there is an option, not to accept returns, however ebay does not recognize it, as all policies are over written and regardless of stated policies you are auto opted into managed returns , at sellers expense, this includes any international sales sellers are paying over 25$ shipping on items that were free thru shipping center, add insult to injury, sellers are to refund customs duty and taxes as well, e bay simply places it into your statement
ebay is no longer a venue costs exceed over 50% of most items

ebay means
every buy against you!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Tue Jan 13 21:57:10 2015

''ebay Jeff'' would rather tell a lie even if telling the truth would have served him better.