Mon Jan 12 2015 19:43:10

Where Have All the eBay Seller Promos Gone?

By: Reader

It used to be that I got free listing promotions from eBay on a VERY regular basis (almost every week). However, in the last 6 months, these promotions have completely dried up.

I'm not a big time seller. My eBay page shows that I have sold $600 over the last 60 days. I've got one promotion during that timeframe.

I'm not getting any promotions on my other eBay i.d. either, one that I rarely use. On that i.d., eBay is "challenging" me to meet certain sales goals in order to be placed in a drawing (wow!) to get free final value fees.

I'm wondering if other sellers are seeing their promotional offers drying up and if they might have some insight into why? This is all some kind of algorithm. I wonder if someone has figured out the criteria that triggers the offers.

Thanks for all that you do!
Bret

Where Have All the eBay Seller Promos Gone?   Where Have All the eBay Seller Promos Gone?

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 12 22:07:22 2015

I've gotten a lot less offers too, but I don't know why.  It used to be that I would get an offer for a few thousand items, which I could list at a fixed price for a 30 day duration (I think I could do auction style, and/or shorter durations as well, but I always did fixed price for 30 days).  Then, before the 30 days was up, I would get another similar offer.  So, if my previous items had a week left, I would end them early and re-list to get the full 30 days again.  For at least a few years, there was rarely, if ever, a time when I didn't have all my items listed on eBay.  Now, the offers are much less frequent, and even worse, they push me into auction-style listings for art items more often than not.  eBay claims that art (and several other categories) sell better as auctions, but that is NOT my experience.  If I list art at fixed price, it sells.  If I list it as an auction, a sale is very rare.  I think eBay may track sales of people selling art that they know nothing about.  Say it's worth $1000, but the person doesn't know that.  Maybe it was willed to them, or they bought it at a yard sale or whatever.  They don't much care what they get for it, so they start the bidding at $10.  Of course, not knowing what it was worth, they are thrilled when it is bid up to $400.  So, eBay sees this and thinks... "here is an item worth $10 that went for $400 because it was an auction!"... WRONG!  It was worth $1000, and only went for $400 because the seller didn't know not to accept anything less than $1000.  I'm coming from the perspective of selling art (and music) for a living.  I know what it cost me, and I know what it's worth.  I will NOT sell it at a loss.  In some cases, I might need to wait a few years to sell it... fine by me.  Anyway, occasionally (like early last month), eBay will give an offer like they used to, where I can list any item as a fixed price.  I made a lot of sales for those 30 days.  As soon as it ended, I listed some of my art items as auctions (as part of my 50 per-month listings) and have not sold one art item since the early December sale ended.  However, I have sold art on other sites, namely Bonanza (which only offers fixed price listings), and Expresso Beans (which is a site exclusively for art, and charges no fees whatsoever!).  I'm happy to list items on eBay, but if they don't want me to, I can definitely take my business elsewhere, and pass my savings (in FVF fees) on to the customer!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Jan 13 02:06:25 2015

Any “free listing promos” eBay has been offering the hoi polloi are only smoke and mirrors to obfuscate the fact that they are in effect cheating their customers in every other way possible that they can think of while at the same time favoring their preferred sellers; to think otherwise is naivety in the extreme ...

The eBay executive suite—where now the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 13 02:45:05 2015

They have been out there, but for some reason you are not getting invited.

I suggest you go and look at your site preferences.  See if anything changed.  There is a question somewhere in there about receiving promotional emails from Ebay.  Make sure you have that marked yes.  If you don't, that could be why they suddenly dried up on you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Jan 13 06:48:45 2015

I'm guessing that the only reason that the do these free promos at all is so that they can get the listing counts up to woo advertisers.

They've never been known for giving anything unless there was something in it for them.

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 10:46:05 2015

They are out there.  I still see them about once or twice a month, generally one related to auctions and another related to fixed prices.  Last one I saw last month I believe was 2015 free Fixed Listings

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 11:49:53 2015

As I have said before we sellers are absolutely NOT getting what we were paying for a year or two ago on EBay, therefore our seller fees should be decreased. EBay has breached our contract on numerous occasions by taking away benefits that we were are still paying for with seller fees.

One of the main reasons why I chose to open a store on EBay is because included with my fees was advertisement, visibility, and searchability on Google, but we no longer have that.  Without the Google searchability/visibility of my items I am not getting any benefits from paying to list my items on EBay.  I may as well get my own website and pay Google for the searchability of my listings because then I would at least sell something. Right now all that we get for paying fees to EBay is their crooked regular buyers and that is all that we get.  We get no other visibility except for EBayers and the fees are definitely not worth that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 13 12:01:01 2015

For me, I don't particularly care what their reason for running the free listing promotions are, I just like getting them.  Most are very useful to me and save me money.  I like that.  Their motive doesn't really matter to me.

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 13:07:47 2015

now that I closed the store I get them offering free listings, however it would take ebay to pay me the losses in order for me to just Consider listing again, too much work no sales e bay is gone this year not as many buyers or sellers
ebay means
every buy against you!!

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 14:56:40 2015

Mozilla Firefox has a ad blocker as part of their  service, I would urge everyone to use this when browsing ebay

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 18:16:35 2015

The free listing things lately were a bit pointless for me. I have the 500 free listings a month and only up to about 320 used at a time. Giving me another 1000 free listings isn't going to do anything for me unless they can create another 200 hours this week for me to go through and have time to list all those items.

As for those that say their fees went up, mine went down, even though sales went up.

2013: $49,800 sales on ebay, $3,675 ebay fees
2014: $52,500 sales on ebay, $3,300 ebay fees

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 13 18:19:33 2015

Actually, lets go back to 2012
2012: $41.350 sales on ebay, $3,365 ebay fees

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 14 09:02:20 2015

Ebay sent me an email a couple of days ago with an offer of free auction listings - one of those click to activate ten start selling.........well, what bunch of BS.

When I clicked, it said "sorry - by invitation only".  I was not invited - checked my ebay messages and seller dashboard and nada.

Wonder what type of sellers actually get to take advantage of these so called promos!  I'm a TRS and PS and used to get lots of promos available.

by: Maryhilden This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 14 11:43:14 2015

I am letting my listings expire. Down to 8 listings now. On the last free fixed for 10 day offer, they auto relisted a bunch even though I had made sure that I didn't check the box. Charged $.30 a listing for 10 days. Crazy. Wish someone would buy Ebay out or other competition sites would combine to make a better site.

by: TexasTwister This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 14 19:26:15 2015

I am the OP and sent that email to Ina a while back. Since then, I let ALL but one of my listings expire (about 120 of them) after Christmas.

LO AND BEHOLD I got a promotion from eBay for ''no insertion fees on 500 auction-style listings'' from 1/9 through 1/15. Perhaps if you let your items expire, it triggers promotions. I don't know.

I do know that I appreciate free listings, but caveat emptor: every single item I relisted had the ''auto re-list'' ACTIVATED. Auto re-listing wouldn't occur until AFTER the promotion expired, so I would have gotten sucked in to paying insertion fees for the relists if I wasn't a savvy seller. Of course I went through all my new listings and turned off auto-relist on each one. It's also noteworthy that turning auto-relist off is NOT part of the bulk relisting application.

Dealing with eBay is like poking a stick at a rattlesnake: eventually you WILL get bit!

by: DVDsandMore This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 25 10:09:28 2015

Since I started paying for listings (After a 2 month suspension and missing two promos because a competitor purchased enough product and left enough defects to bring my defect rate from 1% to 5.5% and it took eBay that long to suspend a few of the multiple accounts that person uses, but that's another story....) I've seen postings for several free listing promos and I've received only one of them.  I'm starting to think it's because I'm paying for listings.  If it was your business, would you give someone something free if the person was already paying for it?

I'm not confident enough that I'd receive a promo soon enough that I want to stop listing completely, and the last few free promos have been small enough they don't cover much of my inventory now anyway.  I prefer the Amazon model where there's a higher store price and unlimited listings.  I know eBay and I would both do better because I'd sell a lot more since my combined shipping deal looks better and better the more items I have available.  Sadly, Amazon doesn't want anyone new selling DVDs there.