Sat Jan 10 2015 17:37:54

Seller Out-of-Pocket for eBay Refund Miscalculation

By: Reader

Spread the news, please. eBay has been refunding more money than what buyers paid to sellers when using the "refund buyer" icon in the resolution centers "open returns" to process a refund.

As an example: buyer paid $67.00 plus $10.56 shipping for an item. Due to an error with eBay's calculated shipping program the actual shipping costs were $18.08. After receiving the item, the buyer did not like the color of the item and opened a return case for "item not as described".

Due to it being during the busy holiday season, I just decided to let her keep it and processed a full refund via the opened return case in the resolution center on eBay.

A few days later, I had noticed that eBay processed a refund for the item and the actual shipping cost ($18.08). ... not what the buyer had actually paid ($10.56). So, eBay has reached into my cash drawer and handed out $7.52 for no reason.

I have set my alarm for 05:00am to be one of the first of thousands of callers on hold with eBay in the morning.

What a basket full of crazy, eh?
Chris

Seller Out-of-Pocket for eBay Refund Miscalculatio   Seller Out-of-Pocket for eBay Refund Miscalculatio

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 10 17:54:23 2015

wow Chris, everyday coming to Auctionbytes you think you've heard it all.  I know with this return process, they must be making a killing. I've had to call several times for my fvf, they won't let me deduct original shipping even for buyer's remorse, if I do, they don't refund fvf.
All the "errors / glitches" are in their favor!
I think they must be having a lot of complaints because my husband got a survey on the whole return process.

by: ebayisscrewed This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 10 18:12:59 2015

Wow that sucks.  I also think the decision to "just let her keep it" sucks.  Sellers that participate in this behavior only make the site worse for everyone.  This is becoming and expectation of ebay buyers.   Why?  Because too many sellers just let people keep things and refund them anyway.  NO!  Return the item and Get a Refund.  Do not return the item, get nothing.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Jan 10 18:34:46 2015

Have to agree with "ebayisscrewed." By allowing the buyer to keep an item because she claimed SNAD when she didn't like the color, that is setting a bad precedent and is encouraging the buyer to repeat the same actions with future purchases. Now that your buyer has received one free item, and seen how easy it was to obtain, I think it's very likely she will continue the same bad behavior with other sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jan 10 18:46:23 2015

What, not another demonstration of eBay's utter lack of professionalism ...

So, what's new?

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 10 20:00:17 2015

I'd have to agree with a couple previous posters, not asking for the item back sets a bad precedent And that's a pretty expensive item not to have it returned. I've had a couple of items were buyers have said there was a defect and they weren't that expensive so I had them send me a couple pictures to verify and I refunded them without a return in that case. I guess I would also be curious to know how he Bay made an error with the shipping calculator.more specifically, did you change the weight at the time you printed the shipping label?

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 11 00:10:47 2015

Not to be rude, Chris, but you got what you deserved. Your buyer was trying to circumvent the system and not pay return shipping by selecting SNAD for a clear case of buyer remorse. One you could have challenged and probably won.

No, eBay should not have refunded the full shipping paid. You ARE correct in that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Jan 11 11:21:22 2015

Once again, we see policy established by management with no experience as sellers results in zero credibility with regard to corporate integrity and a complete lack of fairness for the customer paying the freight.

If eBay wants to survive as a stand alone company, C Level management is going to have to reexamine their corporate cultures and become much more appreciative of their real customers, the fee paying sellers.

The existing anti seller policies will have to change if eBay expects to be able to keep their marketplace stocked with inventory that buyers want - not the cheap China knockoffs and higher than retail priced goods offered by eBay's Diamond Sellers.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 12 01:30:29 2015

What does it being a busy holiday season have to do with not bothering to have a buyer return an item for a refund? Especially something that was $67 + shipping??? That is nuts. It reminds of when I used to sell books and on a book forum some of the sellers would say that if someone even emailed them asking why it was taking sooo long to get their book (it had been in the mail 4-5 days, not weeks) they would immediately refund their money no matter the cost of the book! That sets such a bad precedence for other buyers and sellers as well as continuing to teach people that the desire for instant gratification is a good thing. This desire for an instant everything is going to make our nation go to the dogs for good if nothing else. It is with patience that a person learns to appreciate things.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 12 02:46:40 2015

Chris I hope you will come and share with us how that phone call goes.  BTW, I wouldn't just call Ebay.  I'd start with PP.  How or why would they ALLOW a refund to go through that was MORE that what was paid.  This isn't just an Ebay mess up.  PP screwed up too.  And honestly I'd start there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 12 07:41:51 2015

I too would like to hear the outcome of this.

Other ecommerce sites are looking better everyday. I'm guessing these other sites love the heavy hand of eBay and Amazon.  It has to be good for their bottom lines.

by: fashionistageek This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 12 08:07:17 2015

When a buyer contacted me about the item not being as described, instead of INSISTING ON PHOTOS, I (naively) sent her an automatic return label. Only to learn from an eBay employee during my complaint filing process that as soon as the item shows delivered back to seller, the refund is automatically given to the buyer. REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY SEND BACK! I sold and shipped a high  end designer blouse; she returned to me an inexpensive brown knit sweater vest. She left me negative feedback B4 she received her refund and eBay won't remove it. I am still fighting with both eBay and PayPal despite the fact that after I submitted a 36 page report including photos (same was sent to both Presidents) to the USPS Mail Fraud Division, I received back from them- USPS Inspector General's office-a confirmation email  that my claim  was valid and they were sending the information to USPS's  Criminal Investigation Services. I have reported the buyer to eBay several times. NOTHING SEEMS TO GET ANYONE'S ATTENTION!
Good News: Out of sheer frustration - this isn't my first rodeo with eBay/PayPal rip off horrors, I opened up a Shopify/FaceBook store. Still working on it... so far so good! THERE HAS TO BE AN ALTERNATIVE AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!

by: bcmullis2003 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 12 08:08:56 2015

Hi Chris I understand your frustration. I have been selling with eBay for 14 years now and I have finally had enough of eBay's insane policies for sellers. I'm pulling out and going elsewhere. At one point I had 1200 items listed. Around September my sales plummeted. I spent a 2 hour on hold phone conversation with eBay and then in the end was told ''too bad, sorry about your luck.'' They have manipulated the search engine and allowed in my case sellers from China to flood the market with 1 cent auctions that ties up the first 50 pages with cheap junk that is not vintage. I have 99.9% Positive feedback after 6500 feedback posts and top seller rating but my store pages do not show up in the search engine. I've have checked.The biggest mistake I have made is putting all my eggs in one basket. (eBay) I am in the process of diversifying and listing on several websites for more exposure.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 12 10:37:16 2015

Coding-wise, the Refund process should simply roll back the customer's payment; the (outbound) payment of $18.08 for postage should not be affected in any way (even though it would be linked as an associated transaction on that payment). I would definitely be asking PayPal what's going on there.

P.S. What was the ''error with eBay's calculated shipping program''? It's based on the data that you provide regarding the package. Did the finished package come out heavier or larger than expected?

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Jan 12 14:53:31 2015

Good luck, Chris!

In my case, I'd find it difficult to justify spending two or more hours trying to chase-down a refund that's LESS than what one hour of my time is worth.

If I knew that I could call and resolve the problem in 10 minutes, then I'd do it. If I knew that I could email (once) and resolve the problem, then I'd do it.

But to spend $20 of my time and effort to recover less than $8 doesn't make sense to me.

Marie's suggestion makes the most sense. Start with PayPal. My experience with PP CSR's was much better than with eBay's. You may have better luck.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jan 13 11:18:08 2015

@fashionistageek - Also file a theft complaint with the police department that handles the area where your buyer live. Most police departments have the forms online for you to fill out and submit. You might also want to contact the District Attorney for your buyer's area.