Mon Jan 5 2015 15:22:40

Is eBay Overbilling Sellers for Unauthorized Charges?

By: Reader

Long time reader of your site. I thank you for all the hard work and useful information you provide.

I have been with eBay since the very beginning and I am writing to let you know of a large problem.

As you know, when listing any item, the last option is that little box that states "Automatically relist this item up to 2 times if it doesn't sell. Fees may apply for each relist"

I am very careful when initially listing my items and always make sure this box is unchecked prior to listing my items. When this option was first rolled out by eBay it was free and each listing had the box checked by default and then a few months later when it changed to "fees may apply."

I am sure they made a fortune of money in the most sneaky way as many people did not realize they had to go in and uncheck each box on each and every auction manually. For people like me who have at least 1000 items listed that was a painstaking process but it had to be done as my fees would have gone through the roof.

Well, here I am months after the fact. Again I am always sure that any new items I list does not have that box checked and any items that are relisted should not have that box checked since it was not initially checked when listing the item.

Looking at my December invoice it seemed higher than it should be so I went in and checked on the fees. I was overcharged over $50.00 from insertion fees for that box being checked. I do not check that box ever and the fact that it defaulted back to being checked takes my listings completely out of my control.

Apparently eBay is deciding for me that my listing need to relist without my knowledge or consent and that brings me to the over $50.00 overcharge that they almost collected from me. If they do this to one million people on eBay I can only imagine the money they collect that they are not entitled to.

I promptly called them and after almost two hours on the phone they did deduct the fees from my invoice. I then went through all my listings including listings that were brand new and I had listed just a few days prior. Many of them had the box checked even though I did not check it and that would have meant more money for them in January that they did not have coming to them.

Apparently all my listings have to be constantly monitored by me. Even though that little box is unchecked, eBay is rechecking it by default when the items are being relisted.
This should not be happening as the box was unchecked in the first place it should not check itself upon relist.

This is unknowingly costing sellers a lot of money and I am sure it is not caught and eBay is making a fortune off of it.

When I called eBay to let them know the box was defaulting to a check and charging me for a relist they told me to keep going through all my listings to check it and they would "let someone know of the glitch" but we all know what that really means.

Another sneaky way eBay tries to earn more money than they are entitled to.

Thank you for listening.
Anonymous for fear of eBay retaliation and being placed lower in search

Is eBay Overbilling Sellers for Unauthorized Charg   Is eBay Overbilling Sellers for Unauthorized Charg

by: Maryhilden This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 17:15:11 2015

Ebay has just charged me for relisting automatically, when I made sure that the box was unchecked. This was after the free 10 day fixed listing promo. I would call to complain, but I have the flu and really don't want to talk to them. So, I thought that since they charged me $.30 for each listing for another 10 days that I would go in and at least make it a 30 day listing. Nope. Will not let me. So tired of their underhanded way of making money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jan 5 17:27:28 2015

eBay is the greatest commercial fraudster on consumers that the world is ever likely to know; that they can continue to get away with such blatant fraud on consumers is a sad reflection of the regulatory authorities of the world ...

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Jan 5 17:42:44 2015

It is wearisome that sellers have to constantly be on guard for things like this.

The business experience with eBay these can feel like you are having a long kiss with one of Harry Potter's dementors - it can suck the joy right out!

I won't tell you to start your own website or go elsewhere. You may already have.
I'm giving you credit that you know your own business and have enough sense to know which options out there are viable for you and which ones are not.

Only this - As long as eBay is the best choice for your category to sell in, stay as alert as if you were playing a chess game with the devil.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 18:15:11 2015

This is SO known.
EVERY seller deserves to be REFUNDED- no ifs ands or buts.
MH
Ask WENIG.........
Glitch my arse!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 5 18:18:34 2015

@maryhilden

Ebay has never offered a free relist on BIN listings.

A free relist only applies to auctions.  Not a BIN or a GTC.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 18:50:35 2015

The ops question is:
"Is ebay Overbilling Sellers for Unauthorized Charges".

The answer is YES.

More specifically- is ebay RE-CHECKING the box after the CUSTOMER unchecks it, to which the answer is YES.

Is this dishonest?

The answer is again, YES.

Either "format", would this be honest?

NO, it wouldn't be.

MH

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Mon Jan 5 19:25:49 2015

Uncle_Grief stated on the Weakly Chat he was unaware of any problems with automatic re-lists.

So everything is working just fine and sellers shout stop bellyaching.

by: rachel This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 19:31:29 2015

ebay was charging me for international site visibility when they told me that they stoppd charging for it if you GSP. They say it is a glitch so i have to check my invoice each month. What happens is when I go into the "suggested revisions" and put in GSP it automatically charges 0.50 however they told me that they want us to sell internationally now so tht being the case, the only way international buyers would have seen us previously is if we paid the 0.50 for site visibility. Now they can find us in a search. However sometimes I get someone who won't give me a credit so I have to call back. Don't revise on the recommendations, do it individually. More problems happen, lose photos etc. I won't go into that right now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 5 19:32:23 2015

@ Puck

If he stated he was unaware, that is all that means.  He did not know anything about it.  He may not be aware of it.  But that doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

There was an article here about it as well as many threads on Ebay.  There was and is a problem.  And Ebay is suppose to be issuing credits to those sellers.  Many sellers have reported that they have received the credits, others have not.

Some don't understand the policy.  The credit for relisting is only allowed on auctions and not BIN or GTC listings.  Some sellers are confused by that and think they are owed a credit when they are not.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jan 5 22:02:41 2015

@Marie, Puck was making a joke ...

by: Maryhilden This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 23:09:22 2015

Marie,
The items were not suppose to be relisted. I didn't check the box. I made sure the box was unchecked. That is the point. Ebay just goes ahead and relists and charges me. No way I would relist a 10 day fixed listing for $.30.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jan 5 23:25:22 2015

I think it's obvious that eBay is in desperation mode and trying every trick they can think of to generate income. Between the sellers who are leaving because of all the nefarious policies, and the sellers being suspended because they are "defective," eBay has to be hurting for money. I'm guessing that eBay is counting on sellers not noticing the "glitch," or not willing to endure a two hour hold time to speak with a CSR. I know when I was selling there I never checked to see what I was being charged.

by: tobyscards This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 00:08:10 2015

I have been charged over $700 in listing fees in the past month. I have made 5 calls to them and heard all kinds of BS. It is unethical and illegal what they are doing. I will quit and sue if I am billed this around the 15th of this month.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 00:14:02 2015

I MADE SURE the box was UNCHECKED
MH
PS: Ebay RE-CHECKED the box AFTER the seller UN-checked it. Defend it.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 00:51:42 2015

I seem to have "rotating"  auto relist items.  On SOME I have been able to UNCHECK this by going to the right side and looking at the options on the items and SOME will have "Opt out of auto relist"--or similar--and some will NOT have that.  I have checked and re-checked to make SURE I do NOT have anything  on auto-relist to NO avail.

ALL OF THESE ARE ON AUCTIONS.

I have also gone back to the listing form and tried to UNCHECK that damn box--again--with little luck. When I have been actually TRYING to DO a re-list I have also sometimes managed to find the box--and sometimes--not.

I was over charged about $6 the first time these re-listed and this put me "over"  for the free listings I had.  My bad but I could have CHOSEN if I wanted TO relist just then--or not--but no;  even tho the promo was OVER I was still opted-in even tho I had not ASKED to be in there.  Ditto some OTHER "promo" things--"Free Bold"  etc--that was supposed to END when the promo period ended--however;  this did NOT end it was auto-renewed and there was again no place to uncheck without searching the site.  Absurd.  This just makes MORE problems for sellers--

OH.  Wait.

Just today I had two items auto relist that I KNOW were NOT part of the program as selected by ME.

Is it too much to ask that I get to decide if I WANT certain items relisted--or not?

If they were SELLING I guess I might not CARE but---at this point--nothing is in fact SELLING so----

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 00:57:30 2015

I haven't been affected. However, one of my Ebay friends has already paid well over $50. She has quit using auctions and that solved the problem.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 03:03:19 2015

If the Ebay Corporation is a Person, then they are not only a High Functioning Sociopath, but also a Pathological Liar.

There sure are a lot of ''Confused'' Ebay Sellers out there.

I have learned not to ever take advantage of any of their free-extras-on-listings offers, like Relist, Bold, or Second Category. When they end the offer, I always assume they will automatically start charging me.

I am so tired of Ebay's tricks!

January is listing elsewhere month for me, and I am loving it!

by: Maureen This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 04:15:05 2015

ooooh baby! What a sore subject for eBay Sellers. Every option that is offered for free on eBay to '' help the Sellers out'' has eventually meant a fee to use it. Whether it is a hidden ''glitch'' or the rules get changed. I saw this coming.
Months ago before automated relisting rules got applied, I also unchecked boxes and made sure that new listings did not have the box checked.
The next over charging is going to happen when the FREE BIN Listings that weren't sold run out. It is time consuming. I've been able to  go into each red time left on items up for sale and make sure the boxes haven't defaulted to checked and uncheck them. You would be amazed.It is noticeable when I happen to not catch that time period. It does get expensive. I have already received the December Invoice and started to evaluate the activities versus last years figures. The mention of eBays whopping $$ profits are not coming from sales, they are coming from the glitches.Once they got that search engine changed and couldn't figure out how to get it back correctly they needed to make up that sales margin and this is how they did it. I do not believe that sales are up on eBay. It's just their profit margin and monthly overall revenues. That is definitely kicking butt!

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 06:30:49 2015

Never, NEVER use an ebay "extra".

Then you know on your bill that ANY EXTRA is ALWAYS a mistake.

TRICKING US into your extras ebay, SO transparent.

Extras on ebay were WAY too cost-prohibitive, OF COURSE ebay would have to TRICK US into using them.

It was FREE to have items listed worldwide, no $$ for the UK either.

I feel very SORRY to any poor old seller who took the bite on BOLD- at a buck a pop you can lose your rent over that little "glitch" before you know it.

But don't worry about it as Ebay "is working on it and effected sellers will receive credits"
But don't call them- "they will contact you, IF you were effected".

NICE JOB of reinforcing your industrious hard-working sellers ebay, THANKS!

I want to return this as I found it for $2 cheaper- now PRINT ME a GD shopping label you seller idiot, or I will OBLITERATE YOU!!

And to all.. a GOOD NIGHT.

Mass Howler

by: Maui5150 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 6 07:34:37 2015

Stop worrying about the nickles and start worrying about the DOLLARS.

The biggest way eBay rips sellers off is CHARGING a final value fee when an item is sold, NOT when an item is paid.

I have a $200+ credit on my account currently because I had two large items that went the non-paying bidder route.  This means the earlier month, I over paid by several hundred dollars.

When this occurs, you have to WAIT to be invoiced, and you can request a refund, but eBay deducts any new charges, though currently not owed and you have to wait up to 30 days to get the refund.

Long and short, sellers need to demand that ebay ONLY CHARGE and collect FVF when an item is PAID, not when it it is sold. Given what I see 5% or so of items go unpaid