Sun Jan 4 2015 16:21:28

eBay Seller Increases Listings, Sales Plummet

By: Reader

I have been selling on eBay since 2008 and from the start I had increased sales and did quite nicely, I decided to open an Anchor store about 5 months ago. To my surprise the sales dropped sometimes by 20%, in some instances by 30%.

I have called and called and have gotten the standard off-the-page responses.

This December I started selling again in a higher volume, then on Friday 12/19/2014 it was like someone turned the faucet off....so since then I have had no sales. I don't even know what to do or say. I am afraid that when I call these people at eBay again it will be a waste of my time.

Please realize, that I follow all rules, I ship within 24 business hours, sometimes even the same day, I offer free postage for the US, with a reduced..by 40% postage for the rest of the world, absorbing the difference. I have a 100% very happy customer feedback.

So, where does that end up? They will do nothing. I have checked "Ebay Down" online and found that there have been outages repeatedly and the "customer" service people completely deny any problem they are having.

It is very frustrating and there is absolutely no resolution.
D.

eBay Seller Increases Listings, Sales Plummet   eBay Seller Increases Listings, Sales Plummet

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 4 17:14:31 2015

Welcome to the real Ebay world. Most of us have the same problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Jan 4 18:20:05 2015

Forgive me for stating the obvious... but it seems to me that if you invested half as much effort, time and money in your OWN website, you're likely to be twice as successful.

It's probably safe for me to assume that you're very resourceful and talented. But I wonder... why do you devote so much time and energy into eBay? They've clearly abandoned you. They do not care about you.

Imagine if, instead of spinning your wheels, your efforts actually produced tangible results! You've proven that you have the stamina, dedication and capabilities... now you need to show that you've got the courage to strike-out on your own.

You can do it.

Good luck!

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Jan 4 18:23:42 2015

"it was like someone turned the faucet off....so since then I have had no sales"

I have been on eBay since almost it's beginning, and have noticed since John Donahoe took over in 2008 my faucet has been turned off quite a bit, PARTICULARLY the last 2 years with 2014 being the absolute worst !

They are manipulating BIGTIME, or Cassini is so broke, that why isn't it put to pasteur already ?

We ALL experience the switch or faucet being shut up literally for sure

Here is my experience, all multiple sellers accounts die together, then they boom together, and then I go (1) month without an international sale period, even though I pay for UK exposure, then all of the sudden all International sales on ALL multiple seller accounts for a week, then the FAUCET IS TURNED OFF AGAIN !

Coincidence ? I think not, eBay is SERIOUSLY F***ED UP Intentionally, or Techinically, or BOTH

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jan 4 19:44:27 2015

I always store any item I find of interest to me in my “sniper” database program; and if I want to look at that item again, I do so via that stored URL link; yesterday, I looked for an item that I had so "stored" and the item is still there, but, no matter what I do I can't now find that item via the search string that I originally used to find it …

So, you don’t have to convince me that this most unscrupulous major commercial fraudster is manipulating search on some sort of programmed basis; the proof is in the pudding. But, given that the eBay marketplace is continuing on its journey down the toilet, the only question to be asked is, why?

They can’t really be so stupid as to be funneling searchers only to their “preferred” merchants, because surely these idiots must know that these “preferred” merchants will dump eBay whenever it suits them; anyone that thinks otherwise would have to be as cretinous as Johnny Ho …

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: harkinfan This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 4 20:02:45 2015

It doesn't matter what you do, how well you do it, how much time you put in, or what you sell.  Its OVER!  I always believed that the fittest will survive but rules and fair play don't apply here.  We are paying for non-existing services and made to feel that lack of sales is our own fault.
Move on!  I am leaving after 12 years.  If you made it here, you can make it anywhere!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Jan 4 21:44:16 2015

Obviously you reached your "silent" selling limit and eBay obviously throttled your sales down to zero so that you did not exceed that "silent" limit.

eBay needs to bring in an outside consultant to look into why they fail to grow sales at levels comparable to other venues.

An outside - objective observer would quickly report that eBay and their own poorly conceived policies are the primary factor which are directly causing them to lag behind other platforms

Factors such as eBay stubbornly clinging to Best Match as the default search method, the ultra liberal return policies that drive sellers to list more valuable high ticket items on sites where the venue does not pose high risks such as eBay does, and the limits imposed on sellers are strategic internal failures made by inept management that has zero experience as sellers.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 01:05:09 2015

Goodness, if you had been reading here for at least the last year, you should have known that trying to expand on ebay was a lost cause. As Annie mentioned, start your own website, try out free places like ecrater. You might not get LOTS of traffic but if you work for it, you will get traffic, or any of the other many venues out there that are willing to work with sellers and want good sellers on their sites. I left ebay years ago when I ended up paying more in fees than I was making for my store. Since at that point my monthly fees for my store and FVF ran about $800/month. It was such a relief not to automatically lose that amount each month so that even if I only made $200/month, in the long run I was doing much better than on ebay.

Save the time of making pointless calls to ebay and use it to find someplace else to go where you are wanted and your items will show up in a reasonable search as long as you have a reasonable title.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 01:17:15 2015

You reached the income level that has been set for you per month. That amount has nothing to do with the stated amounts on seller limits, it has to do with some program that someone department in Ebay arbitrarily assigns each seller. If you keep track, you will find that you are allowed to make X amount per 30 day period and it is pretty consistent. It is practice known as tortious interference by definition.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 01:36:47 2015

Interesting. I think you have just stumbled upon the realization that many commenters here and elsewhere have concluded; monthly sales are limited to a predetermined range. Once you get close to or reach your limit, sales slow dramatically or stop altogether. I found this out for myself just over the last few months. I had read some comments on this site and began tracking and doing some analysis of my sales. I can say without a doubt that sales are limited. Those limits seem to be both dollar amount and number of transactions. I too thought things were going nicely. That's when I made the push to grow my sales. The first quarter of 2014, sales moved upward 20% over the first quarter of 2013. Then, boom. A very noticeable break in momentum. Sales have been keeping even with the prior year for 9 months and remains to this day. What went wrong? There are things I could have done differently. But none of it would matter because in the eyes of Ebay I was growing too fast. So what began as a healthy 20% increase, ended up as 5.7% for the year. Many sellers cannot say the same so I consider myself fortunate. However I don't expect any significant increase this year. Going back in time I learned that I had been averaging moderate increases for awhile. The hidden limits only became apparent when I attempted to grow. Dump the store, at least cut it back to premium. The investment is not improving the bottom line, or the top line for that matter. The old way of Ebay, where the more you list equals higher sales, is really not the case anymore. Invest in other venues or a website. That is my primary objective going into the year.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 5 02:52:35 2015

It has nothing to do with having an Anchor store.  Sales in 2014 have been terrible for a whole lot of sellers since late February.

Your influx of sales in December are obviously holiday related just as the downturn when we are only a few days away from Christmas.  Don't read more into that there is.

Ebay has been having some significant problems in 2014. The hacking, Cassini went site wide in late February and still doesn't work as it should and they got in trouble with Google so we are lowered in Google searches.  Then there are other smaller reason, constant glitches in the system have given us a whole variety of issues to deal with as both buyers and sellers.

by: Kozz This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 05:49:39 2015

We found this to be the case as well.  We were growing pretty well and decided to increase our listings.  Our sales dropped with no pattern that I could find.  We also follow all the ebay imposed rules and have kept our TRS.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 5 07:15:34 2015

In most businesses, the harder you work, the greater your rewards.

Not eBay.  I think Ming called it a rigged card game.  True fact.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 07:38:39 2015

Hate to tell you all this.

The ONLY buyers left on ebay are the same jokers that show up 2 hours early for a garage sale and then try to GYP you down to 50 cents on everything.

Or people looking to steal your stuff.

TIME TO GO GUYS.

This "just a venue" is now "just a waste of time"

by: rhawk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 08:53:32 2015

Ebay is no place to run a business anymore.  If you are starting out, you will get a bump in visibility....then just when you think everything is going great and want to expand, you realize there is a wall you cannot break through.

Ebay manipulates exposure and visibility through the cassini search engine.

It is a VERY screwed up system.

In 2009 I was selling 10,000 dollars per month on ebay EASILy.   Now I am lucky to sell 2,000......and even that keeps dropping.

STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THE HELL HOLE THAT IS EBAY.

by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 10:24:58 2015

They need to be accountable to the thousands being ripped off. I review some of the complaints on their discussion boards and have started looking at their items, then do a search of their items and about 90% of them are not visible.  Before I got the hell(o) out of there, they were hiding nearly all of my items. I am still fighting them on seller fees. We need to group and with proof go to the FBI or such for fraud, deception and theft. I have copied the seller's complaints and then sort the items low to high to prove it and then I do a video to show the page where it should be and it is not there.  That's how I feel about their bill. Can we form a group and get this done?

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 12:07:28 2015

It's funny...
When I add (or double) the line-items I have on Ebay, my sales do not increase proportionally (not even logically).
HOWEVER
When I increase the number of line-items I have for sale on Amazon, my sales increase not only proportionally but sometimes even better than expected.

The ebay problem has existed since the current CEO took over.
(I have been on Ebay and Amazon since each one started to allow sellers on their sites)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jan 5 13:29:13 2015

Marie writes: "Sales in 2014 have been terrible for a whole lot of sellers since late February."

That is probably very true for sellers still listing on eBay. But I can assure you, my sales on eCrater have been beyond fantastic. Sales were awesome in December, and since December 31st through today, I'm packing and shipping as fast as I can. And I sell collectibles, so not a category that people need to have in their lives. The problem is not with sellers' items, starting price, shipping cost, or anything else eBay would have you believe is why you items aren't selling. It's eBay!

by: tmooreseller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 15:12:24 2015

I was an eBay seller off and on until the middle of 2012. I started to experience the same things you all had as early as 2010. After struggling with the issue, I noted the monthly limit and said to myself, "you know, eBay is not interested in making more money from listing fees, it is interested in exerting more control over the sellers." After languishing in seller hell for a month, I got off of eBay and never went back. I have my own site, and while I am still struggling, there is no limit to what I can earn if buyers will just pay attention. That is the difference. We should notify the FTC of this policy, if someone has not done already.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 5 16:27:57 2015

As I said before, we are absolutely 100% NOT getting what we were paying for three years ago on EBay. The EBay fees forced on us stayed the same but the benefits of listing on EBay has dramatically declined, including advertising/searching on Google.  We had google visibility only one year ago and now we have absolutely zero, which is a huge decrease in our benefits for paying fees to EBay.  I don't see how it is legal to take away rights and benefits that were originally given for the same exact price.  In fact our fees have increased yet what we previously received for paying those fees is no longer there.  Legally our fees should be dropping because EBay's benefits and promises have been breached according to contractual obligations of the past.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jan 5 16:36:57 2015

eBay has become far too complicated. Sales are abysmal for a lot of us.