Wed Sept 24 2014 19:35:57

eBay Defect Policy Forces Seller to Give up Fast 'n Free

By: Reader

I just changed over to two-day handling on eBay since the Post Office is not in line with eBay's estimated delivery dates. I almost got "defected" by this.

So now I do not have GET IT FAST AND FURIOUS with the little Green Truck, but I do feel confident that I cannot dive Below Standard in the coming month.

eBay's defects on sellers by a third party (Post Office) is so unfair that I have had to cover myself by eliminating Get It Fast. I will still send it out with one day handling, but now I have a cushion in case the Post Office gets really really slow.

Thanks for your column, I love it - great insight into eBay.
Suzi

Editor's Note: eBay's Fast 'n Free program is described on this page.

eBay Defect Policy Forces Seller to Give up Fast '   eBay Defect Policy Forces Seller to Give up Fast '

by: jonesridge This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 22:53:23 2014

I have no problems with USPS, they seem to deliver every thing I ship on the second day after I mail it. In fact, I shipped a box to Bethel, Alaska last Saturday and it was there Tuesday a.m. Bethel is only accessible by air or sea and is 425 miles west of Anchorage. Most all of my feedback is in relation to the fast shipping, most 2 days after they pay.
Ebay still sucks, tho!

by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:01:19 2014

USPS - sometimes great, sometimes not. I am located in the Northeast. Last week, shipped out two orders on the same day, both First Class parcel. The first went to Hawaii - was delivered in three days! The second, went to Atlanta GA - took 8 days. So who knows.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:15:57 2014

I offer one-day handling, and I've been *very* lucky with outgoing eBay packages. Not so much on some personal ones, like 9 days to Colorado to a sibling, and all kinds of evil on my incoming First Class Mail & eBay packages, slow times, tracking numbers that don't, etc.  I've considered changing my handling time to two or three days, and still shipping same day or next day, just in case USPS messes me over.

by: toyspast This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:18:56 2014

I've heard this several times now. You do not get a defect just because the USPS delivers your package slower then expected. The only way you get a defect is if your buyer gives you a rating of *1*. If you upload the tracking within your stated handling time and then USPS scans the package somewhere along the way, and you stay above the 90% mark, you have no problem.  And don't worry about the percentage until after the 1st of the month because the numbers will take a while to catch up with each other.

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:25:37 2014

I am very concerned about US Postal Service delivery. In the past month we have had TWO Priority Mail packages that were a major problem.

The first was to California and made THREE complete round trips before finally being delivered to it's destination.

The second went to New Jersey and was an attempted delivery and then forwarded to another area because the recipients neighbor in the duplex moved and left a forwarding address. It went to the neighbor's new address, then back to Iowa, and then back to New Jersey again.

We got defects for both because the seller filed a case for non-receipt.

In both cases, we contacted our Post Office to see if they could help as did our customer on their end.

It is mind-boggling to realize that eBay is punishing sellers for something the incompetent postal service does (or does not do correctly).

by: Just Plain Irritated This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:27:33 2014

toyspast in reference to your comment: You do not get a defect just because the USPS delivers your package slower then expected.

YES, we did get defects for both of the cases filed.

by: forrosebud This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 24 23:57:31 2014

To all of you who have just posted:  Anyone feeling stomach pangs? Ulcers coming on? Sleep well at night? Feel like you are walking on broken glass or hot coals? How's your self esteem? Hope your profits are consistently high enough to put up with EBay's abuse.

by: sellerfish This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 00:03:59 2014

I have commercial pickup by USPS. Sometimes , like when the regular guy is off, they forget my stop. When I do catch the carrier, they are all scared that Amazon is forcing them into 7 day a week delivery.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 00:12:54 2014

I have did the same. I went to two day shipping time when Ebay promised a buyer that her 15 pound box of dishes sent by Parcel Post from California to New York would be there in 3 days.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 00:15:53 2014

I may have had complaints and am sure I will have more, in the future. But the USPS has always preformed very well by me. It would be the last reason I would withdraw from the TRS program.

With 1000's of sales I am proud to have held the TRS Seal. Feedback has always been 100% since day one, without one negative! When changes came to eBay, long ago, I remained optimistic. Yet I seen more and more excuses to increase their profits at the expense of their customers! Us, The Sellers!

With all they have done eating away at the smaller sellers, it seems as if they don't want us. I would need a few pages to explain! But I am sure all other sellers like me have seen the increase in cost. When they combined fees, and then took away free Fixed Listings! Remember, Oh we're giving you more free listing! You get 100 Auction....  but now you pay for fixed (in our most popular categories!) hehe hehe

Though to be honest, no one still cannot match them! But my big hope is that another, will. As I think eBay is really putting another final nails in their coffin! New coming TRS requirement, which I call the new ''EBAY RENTAL PROGRAM,'' use your order for three month and return it for any reason! Also, don't forget the new, ''EBAY EASY RETURN,'' your favorite Top Rate Seller pays!

Love their page,   eBay Guarantee ...  we've got you covered! Who's got you covered?

When they increase their requirements to maintain that TRS Seal, they destroyed the program! I wish they had left it alone and cut the 20% discount. But again, is not that what it's all about, increased profits?

I will be happy come November 1st, to go back to 3 day shipping and  Returns just for defects and No Buyer Remorse!

As the cost of doing business on eBay increase you need to expand! Bonanza $25 monthly idea sounds good. That's if they can generate better views. So far their booth is less than a tenth of eBay.

Still can hope.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 00:16:15 2014

I don't think the Post Office is incompetent when someone orders a package and then moves before it can be delivered.  That is a defective buyer.

by: forrosebud This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 00:37:43 2014

@Richiec

Forget EBay's 90 day return policy. That will be overridden by Pay Pal's 180 day SNAD return policy effective November 2014. Just imagine having coffee one Sunday morning only to receive an Ebay notification that you have a SNAD claim 142 days after you sold your item... will you even remember what the item was?

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 00:55:47 2014

"I've heard this several times now. You do not get a defect just because the USPS delivers your package slower then expected."

Actually, you can get a defect in this scenario.  eBay provides the buyer with an estimated delivery date, and the date does NOT take into consideration the sellers handling time nor the base time estimate provided by the post office.   eBay is providing estimated delivery dates based on your average historical shipping time, not what you have entered as handling.  Example, I have 3 day handling on ALL my listings but in many cases eBay is promising a buyer that they will receive my item within 1-2 days.  We have documented proof of this.

Even worse, a buyer can open an INR claim the day after eBay promises the package, and if found for the buyer OR the buyer closes the case because (for ANY reason, including that the package arrived), the SELLER WILL EARN A DEFECT.  It doesn't matter if the package comes in and buyer leaves all 5s and positive FB - if it arrived after EBAY'S promised time and buyer opened/closed case, a defect is earned.

Yes.  Incredibly stupid.  But also true.  Go read the boards.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 01:30:13 2014

I have a package sitting in front of me right this instant that I may get a DEFECT on--all because the BUYER did not update his info on either ebay OR Paypal.  I sent the package to this address and noticed that the tracking read: Not deliverable at this address.  Contacted buyer who replied that this was NOT the correct address.

He has NOT corrected the address (altho he has agreed to pay for new postage) so I feel hesitent to re-ship.  English is a second language for this onshore buyer so I am not sure if I am making sense to him.

Fortunately the PO DID scan this several times.  But--if the buyer decides that I "deserve"  a *1* for this--I will have a defect since the item did NOT arrive on "time"  according to ebay!

I also have a "defect"  for a Neut where the PO sorting machinery ATE the package and the contents--altho I refunded the buyer was MAD because I did not have ANOTHER item just like the first.  So it was MY FAULT. I even asked for feed back revision as it is a bit much to have to absorb a DEFECT when I did NOTHING wrong and the PO sent me back the empty and destroyed envelope!

A few months ago I had a package cycle thru an Ill. sort center for an entire MONTH before it was picked out of the jumble and actually DELIVERED--after I had sent a duplicate (I sell multiples of this item but not the one destroyed) That buyer opened a Case but upon finding out what had actually happened--and upon my replacing the item---closed it.  Probably tho--that TOO will be part of the retro-=active DEFECT rating.

When even my 7 year old grand daughter says that people are NOT DEFECTIVE because of outside influences--and who asked Who runs ebay?---and opined that this guy is NUTS----something is very wrong with this system!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 25 02:13:29 2014

@Suzi

You do not get a defect for a late delivery.  Well I guess you could if the buyer rated you with a 1 in delivery time.  But that is the only way you'd get a defect.  So if you have late delivers occasionally, you really should not fear getting too many defects.

I think you may have a misunderstanding of what can create a defect.

What is a defect?

A defect occurs when any part of a transaction doesn't match what the seller described or promised in the listing.

A transaction has a defect when it has one or more of the following:
Detailed seller rating of 1, 2 or 3 for item as described
Detailed seller rating of 1 for shipping time
Negative or neutral Feedback
Return initiated for a reason that indicates the item was not as described
eBay Money Back Guarantee or PayPal Purchase Protection case  opened for an item not received or an item not as described
Transaction cancellation by the seller when the item was out of stock, or sold to another buyer.

@toyspast

You are correct as far as the defects go.

As for your tracking & Ebay's verification percentage.  You are on the right track.  But to be more specific, when you go into your dashboard, it automatically defaults to your current month's numbers.

So since the current month is ongoing, the numbers are a work in progress too.  Your % of verified shipments will vary and it could be greatly.  For example lets say you sold 15 items yesterday, when you look at that percentage today, it would have dropped significantly from what you remembered seeing yesterday.

It only dropped because you need to do a bunch of shipping today, upload tracking and then give Ebay a few days to get it all verified.  It will work out and the percentage will climb back up.

When you enter your dashboard at the top if you look closely you will see how you are currently rated [TRS, Above Standard etc].  That appears a little left of center on your screen and you can see just below it the date of your last Eval.  To the right of that is what they project you to be on the next eval.

If you click on the one dated for last month, the numbers you see will change to what you were eval'd on last month.

This is one of the reasons why Ebay has the 20 day lag time between the end of the month and when they eval folks.  Time for the numbers to catch up and time of buyers to leave FB.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Sep 25 02:22:04 2014

@just plain

Toyspast was / is correct.  Just because a package is delivered late you do NOT get a defect.

In your case, your buyer filed a claim.  That is different and since they filed a claim, it created the defect.

Just the fact that a package is delivered late does NOT create a defect.  Other things have to happen to create a defect.  Whether that is a 1 in the shipping time DSR, negative FB, neutral FB or a claim.  But just having a package arriving late does not create the defect.  The buyer would have to do something to create one for you.

Its really important for sellers to firmly understand what causes the defect.  With a solid understanding you can at least protect yourself a little.  But if you are mis-informed about what actually creates a defect, you can hurt yourself without intending to.

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 06:33:56 2014

@comet  You get protection from "1's" like that.

I've had a half dozen low DSRs removed this year and, after having an undeliverables exactly like your, called and had two more removed.

While some of the CS reps have turned into a$$hats since the new defect rate changes, still getting some help from them.  The detailed reports for all defects are a big help, too, showing your most recent 20 defects w/all pertinent info.

And, while we're at it, you're better off just using the "Call Me" option when trying to reach CS anymore.  Typically the wait time is half and you can go about whatever you're doing.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 07:56:38 2014

I changed my shipping time to 5 days. I was sending everything next day, and for what? I have a day job--it was just too difficult. Now the pressure is off and sales are no better, no worse. (Better at Etsy actually.) I really hate eBay manipulation.

by: tradernick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 08:29:19 2014

We've had huge problems with usps. And since ebay makes us responsible for postal loss and theft it's really aggravating me. At least twice a month we have some kind of problem. I got a check from a colleague in Boca Raton, about a 2.5-3 hour drive from me. It took 13 days to arrive. Recently a customer swore that he didn't sign for the package, that the letter carrier signed his name and left the opened and looted package on his porch. His p.o. says HE signed for the package. End result is we got a defect and a negative. Most recently a buyer sent a return without tracking and it never showed up here. Some savvy postal employee undoubtedly recognized it for what it was, and snagged it. Again, we got a defect and a negative. Postal theft/loss/damage is real and happens to us ALL THE TIME, in different parts of the country, and I am held responsible. On multiple occasions different letter carriers have picked up our packages and scanned them as DELIVERED instead of entering them into the system. I'd think the usps would have a system sophisticated enough to prevent that, yet it has happened 3 or 4 times. An entire days shipment shows up as delivered in my town, rather than Picked Up. This is potentially dangerous because if it's not RE-scanned properly, a buyer can complain non-receipt and ebay will refund them if tracking shows delivery elsewhere. Locally, a postal employee told me they caught a worker stealing inside the post office. Signing the customers name and scanning the item as delivered. Caught red-handed and that employee still works there! Many of you say you don't have postal problems. I'm happy for you....but I've got enough to go around and I've never found a postal inspector or anyone in the post office that cares enough to do anything about it. So basically we lose about every 100th item to theft or loss. We just eat it and move on, and we don't list anything of real value. Between the theives at usps and ebay facilitating buyer theft, this is rapidly beginning to suck.
tradernick

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 25 08:29:27 2014

Did anyone notice that Pay Pal just put this effective warranty in place: We're increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days.