Fri Sept 19 2014 09:35:46

eBay Buyer Unable to Revise Feedback for Seller

By: Reader

For the first time ever I, very recently, gave a seller a neutral feedback, for reasons I thought justifiable at the time, but with the thought that I could revise it later; the seller came back to me and the problem was sorted out and I happily agreed to revise my feedback; I then found that I could not initiate such a revision; a request for feedback revision has to come from the seller.

On notifying the seller of that problem, he responded that the eBay system would not let him request same. I thought to myself, this does not make sense; so I rang eBay (first time ever, and expecting to spend a half day on the phone), and was talking to a CS (in the Philippines) within seconds (!); it seems that there is a limit on the number of feedback revision requests that a seller can make and this seller had apparently reached his limit, whatever that limit was.

The question then is, why is there a limit? Surely, this should simply be a matter between the seller and the buyer, but, apparently, not so, and eBay's clunky system won't let me revise the feedback to positive; which, once again, demonstrates eBay's simple incompetence or vindictiveness, or both, for its non-preferred sellers.

However, me being me, I carried on for a while and finally was told that they would remove my feedback; so, I suppose no feedback is better than effectively "negative" feedback, and, indeed, the feedback has been removed …

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ...
Regards
Philip

eBay Buyer Unable to Revise Feedback for Seller   eBay Buyer Unable to Revise Feedback for Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 10:38:10 2014

This has been discussed before.  If there wasn't a limit on feedback revisions,  sellers could,  in effect, threaten or harass buyers into changing their feedback.  It's not that they would necessarily get anywhere, but Ebay doesn't want sellers to chase buyers away.  Given sellers an unlimited number of feedback revision request could allow for a lot of unwanted and sometimes uncomfortable communications from a seller.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 10:38:48 2014

Giving

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 19 10:51:35 2014

@Philip

Shocked given your knowledge of John Donahoe & Co. that you'd have left a neutral prior to any attempt at working all out with this seller in the first place.

That said, although negatives and neutrals may be removed from visibility, they now remain as a defect on the sellers account for a year under new policy changes. John Donahoe & Co. justifies such an action utilizing the exact premise you've stated: ''gave a seller a neutral feedback, for reasons I thought justifiable at the time, but with the thought that I could revise it later'' as the justification for such.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 13:21:29 2014

@woodjungle

A seller has nothing they can threaten a buyer with.  If a seller were to be doing that, they would be blowing smoke as there is NOTHING a seller can do to a buyer that would have any negative impact on their account.

The limit on FB revision request is VERY LOW.  It is 1 per every 200 FB.  That is NOT transaction, that is FB received.  There can be a BIG difference between transactions & FB received.

**********************

Philip

It use to be that if Ebay removed the FB, the negative impact would go away from the sellers account.  That is no longer clearly stated in the policy.

Recently [last month] the FB removal policy went POOF.  Instead it takes to to the Defect Removal Policy. The two are related, but not the same thing at all.

What Agenda say is true.  Ebay has stated that, however if Ebay removed the FB, the defect was also suppose to be removed.  But if it was through a revision by the buy that a negative or Neutral FB was revised to a positive FB, the defect for the N or N original FB would still stand on the seller's account.

So the difference is if Ebay found cause to remove the FB in its entirety, then the defect would go away.

But now this is not so clear either.  Since the FB removal policy was removed and replaced with the Defect removal policy, Ebay is removing the FB comments if they breach one of Ebay's policy but they are NOT removing the N or N FB.  It sits on the seller account with a blank comment and the defect stays against the seller.

I've spoke to a couple of Ebay people in management on this subject.  They say that no, Ebay will still remove FB all together and the defect too.  But when I direct them to the revised policy and examples of sellers that this is happening to, they suddenly don't know what is going on.

It appears Ebay is now willing to just remove the comment, but NOT the entire FB.  I still have not gotten any firm reason from this from Ebay.  I sent a bunch of information to Ina a couple weeks ago.  Hopefully she will be able to find out what is happening and what Ebay is really willing to do and not do.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 13:27:43 2014

Marie. You are wrong.  It has happened to me a couple times from sellers.  Sure, it's an idle threat but they can still take a forceful tone.   Limiting the number of revisions would limited that behavior.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri Sep 19 13:33:51 2014

Marie, is that not the whole problem, no one at eBay knows what is going on …

When dealing with eBay we are dealing with ill-thought out policies devised by a bunch of disingenuous sociopaths, implemented via poorly written algorithms; eBay is a "machine" that, in reality, cares not one iota about anyone or their feelings ...

Anyway, I think this letter may have been accidentally revisited ... regardless, it was me, the buyer, that wanted to revise the feedback, not the seller ... and that sort of control by eBay is ridiculous ... Orwellian!

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 13:43:19 2014

While they may make threats, they are empty.  They can't do anything to a buyer unless the buyer has really done something wrong.  And even at that, it is extremely difficult to get Ebay to do anything.

With all that said, if a seller is threatening you, simply do not respond and report them to Ebay.  There are bad sellers out there and sellers should not threaten buyers nor should buyers threaten seller.  But for sellers, it is a really bad idea and a poor business model.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 13:48:37 2014

Marie, the  buyer may feel pressured to change their rating if coerced.  With no limits, this activity would increase, and the 'bad experience' would also increase.

There are still PLENTY of fly by night sellers on ebay that just try to hang on as long as they can.  The more revisions they would be allowed, effectively, the more they could stick around.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 13:49:42 2014

Oh Woodjungle.  I did not say that sellers do not threaten buyers.  I'm just saying if they do, they are empty threats.  And as to the limit on FB revision, even IF Ebay thinks sellers will run wild and be unprofessional with buyers, 1 per 200 FB is still way too low.

I think you would find that it is a real minority of sellers that would participate in war of words with a customer as it is very bad for business and most understand the value of the customers.  Some of course will never understand but eventually their ratings will reflect that.

It is old and tiring to continue to get punished and restricted because some small fraction of sellers misbehave.  There are better ways to control that than restricting all sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 13:52:13 2014

Negative communication, pleading, whining, etc is all still multiplied without revision limits.  That's all I'm saying. Empty or otherwise.  Give a seller to try to get a feedback revised and they'll take it.  Desperation of such revision attempts leads to unprofessional behavior.  Ebay created this monster. It doesn't have to be this way.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 13:53:51 2014

@woodjungle

Not under the current rules.  Even if a buyer changes a negative FB to a positive FB, the defect from the original negative remains on the seller's account.

A revision by a buyer will NOT remove a defect for FB.

By the way, I never said or suggested "no limits".  I have however said the current method of calculating how many revision request a seller can do is TO LOW.

What is it that you are finding sellers are actually saying to coerce a buyer?  Maybe that would help me to better understand.  What are they threatening them with?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 13:56:20 2014

@woodjungle

Well I'll defer to your experience on this.  It is not something I've seen or heard of being a prevalent problem on Ebay.  Your experiences are obviously different than mine.  I hope it improves for you and that you get to deal with more sellers that are responsible and professional with you.  It sounds like you have had more than your share of bad sellers.  I hope you know that most are just not like that.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 14:01:53 2014

Marie, you are not accurate about defect removal. I JUST NOW got off the phone with Ebay as we speak. They have a new policy for defect removal as you know.  Go check out this statement: "Sellers may request the removal of defects that we haven't automatically removed when they followed selling best practices and they believe the buyer experience did not have a defect."  I just got a defect removed using that.  If a buyer makes a mistake, with any of the criteria. Leaving wrong feedback,  low marks for item as described (that's what I just got a defect removed for), they will remove it!  If you do your best, and the buyer is happy, that can get a defect removed :)

Its not necessarily coercing. Its begging, pleading,  any sort of desperation to get it removed. It happens.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 14:10:41 2014

Marie. Of course not most are not like that, but there are many that are.  Honestly I have a had  MANY poor buying experiences on Ebay.  I would never run my business they way many of these 'sellers' do.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 14:13:11 2014

''Give a seller to try to get a feedback revised and they'll take it.''  I never use up all the available revision request, so obviously this isn't true for all sellers.  It appears to me that you have had way too many negative interactions with sellers.  Not sure why or how, but certainly you don't think much of sellers as a whole.

''Desperation of such revision attempts leads to unprofessional behavior.''  Well that would be counterproductive.  If you are saying a seller sends out a request for revision and in that email they are threatening and/or trying to coerce the buyer, then the seller has a whole lot to learn about running a business.  Not only would this likely backfire big time on them, they could get in real trouble with Ebay if the buyer reported them.

''Ebay created this monster. It doesn't have to be this way.''  I agree that Ebay has added to the frustration felt by some sellers because the threshold for the number of requests available to a seller is so low.

''Marie, you are not accurate about defect removal.''  I was very accurate in what I said.  But it would be important to realize that I did not even address what you did to get a defect removed.  I did not state anything about APPEALING a defect.

Appealing is a completely separate subject.  I'm very happy it worked out for you, that means it worked as it should work.  That is a good thing.

What happened to you supports what I stated about defects.  Even when a buyer revises their FB from a Neg or Neu their defect remains.  You had to appeal it to get one removed.  That is a separate step and again, it is wonderful it worked for you.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 14:16:51 2014

Marie.  You said: " Even if a buyer changes a negative FB to a positive FB, the defect from the original negative remains on the seller's account."

This is simply not true.  I just got a defect removed with a phone call.  It was simple. No formal appeal.  Just a phone call.

I also think you are giving some people that sell on Ebay too much credit and misinterpreting what their goals are.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 14:21:28 2014

Marie. FYI. The way you framed your statement about defects remaining made it sounds like they could not be removed period.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 19 14:26:05 2014

@woodjungle

Yes I did say that and it does.  If it didn't, you would not have had any need to call Ebay and appeal it.  Not all appeals are some formal drawn out process.  Sometimes it is just a phone call.

Here is some information that may help you.  #2 is what applies here.

The following defects are not eligible for removal:
• 1. A seller resolves a buyer's problem after an eBay Money Back Guarantee case is opened.
• 2. Neutral or negative feedback that is later revised by the buyer.
• 3. A Feedback comment that violates eBay policy, such as containing profanity or links. (The Feedback comment is removed, but the Feedback rating and any related defects aren't removed.)
• 4. Shipping-related defects when the transaction doesn't have tracking that enables us to verify on-time order fulfilment and delivery.
• 5. When an eBay Money Back Guarantee case is refunded to the buyer by eBay as a courtesy, without a ruling of who was at fault.

BR>
We
just don't agree on this and that does not have to be a big deal.  You think most sellers do inappropriate things and I think that is a real minority of sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 14:29:53 2014

other than waiting 94 minutes for a rep these days.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Fri Sep 19 14:30:43 2014

My post didn't go through. I said its easy to get them removed if mistakes are made.  Other than waiting 94 minutes for a rep these days.

1 2 3  [Next Page]