Mon Sept 8 2014 13:28:09

Should eBay Share Your PayPal Purchases with Retail Clerks?

By: Reader

Re: Newsflash article - eBay Turns to Bain for New Global Head of Strategy

And this why I will not ever get a PayPal card! It's bad enough that the government has too much information about my personal life!

But you know, PayPal will share your purchase information with JD at eBay! I do not want MY PRIVACY (already violated at eBay) shared with eBay, one of the most reprehensible companies with old school security issues and who thinks they are above the law! And continue to give them more personal info by using a PayPal Card??? These are 3 stores at the top of my list, I will discontinue shopping for sure. And I am going to write them and let them know why!

This is frightening!

And I quote from this article, eBay Turns to Bain for New Global Head of Strategy:

"Store associates will be notified of all in-store customers who have checked in using their PayPal account, and will see a profile of information about each consumer, including past purchases, abandoned shopping carts and store associate notes. The app hasn't reached stores yet, but eBay is in talks with Macy's, Aeropostale, Urban Outfitters and Toys "R" Us, among others."

People, think of what is happening! Keep yourself "off the grid" as much as possible, keep your personal life off the web!
Linda

Should eBay Share Your PayPal Purchases with Retai   Should eBay Share Your PayPal Purchases with Retai

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 14:59:39 2014

I would be more worried about what information Visa and Mastercard or any store credit card is selling before paypal or Fleecebag.

Maybe even more worried about internet hackers...

I would think paying all your bills online would be a bigger risk than any of the above.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Sep 8 16:25:57 2014

The other day I received an "updated" privacy policy notice from a the bank that issues my VISA card.

They neatly outlined what I could and could not opt of out.

Basically our government has given banks the ability to do whatever they want and share whatever personal information they want with whomever they.

The ONLY choice I was given after reading a lengthy list of the precise ways in which they could share my personal information with their "partners" was to cancel the credit card.

Congress: Bought and paid for by the too big to fail banks and other corrupt corporations.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 8 16:44:06 2014

Until one or more of our esteemed Congressmen or women are exposed publicly for purchasing something embarrassing or "naughty" nothing will change.

Ming is right, bought and paid for.

As it relates to eBay/PayPal, I buy nothing from them, and refuse to do so until Donahoe is gone or until I see a level playing field again, which is highly doubtful.

As I see eBay hire another Bain exec (in a strategy role no less), I only see things getting worse for small sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Sep 8 20:56:46 2014

No thanks.

Perhaps it appeals to those who relentlessly document their lives in social media and provide glorious selfies for the world to see.  They may really enjoy a store clerk knowing what size and color underwear they purchased 3 weeks ago.

To what end?

Might get really interesting if you recently used that payment method to stock up on Depends, fur-lined handcuffs, or a case of XL trojans.

Curious to see what kind of suggestions THOSE past purchases might bring on!

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 8 23:04:26 2014

problem is that so many busy people are inundated with contractual info that goes on and on. You know, paper them to death or until they give up. The idea was good initially to have disclsures but it has gone so extreme. Really only a retired person with a large pension has time to read these things! I am inundated with these from credit card companies and every minute a TOS is changed for online vendors or what was once cool service. I get that it's part of it but it will keep on going and going...busy people will sign anything. You want disclosures? Here you go? Read 100 pages of legalese...should be a class in that. It is a little crazy. They all do it and we all are paying for it in some way or another. They are covering themselves I get that but some go too far.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Sep 8 23:58:11 2014

Apparently, John Donahoe has discovered that he can not totally destroy eBay on his own, so he is bringing in reinforcements from a company that specializes in ripping companies apart.

Or, is this a sign that Donahoe is preparing his exit strategy and is bringing in another like minded eBay novice who he will appoint to succeed him?

The Bain drain at eBay appears destined to continue.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 00:05:01 2014

I don't care if they know I bought peanut butter, milk and bread last night. If they can take that to the bank and deposit it, so be it. Instead of taking Bit Coin, stores can now start taking Peeper coins from Ebay and Paypal.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 01:21:05 2014

JD used to work for a consulting firm run by the villain from "The Dark Knight," correct?  You did say Bane & Company, right?

by: ewegolf This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 06:42:37 2014

I'm sure Mr. Donahoe knows that anybody he brings in from Bain has already had their Ethics immunization.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 06:47:29 2014

No more banking or debit cards- doing everything in person in cash.
I want my privacy back.
MH

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 09:28:54 2014

NSA proved that privacy doesn't exist anymore.
Re: ebay/Paypal, Do we not live in a great country. Money will buy you anything and ANYONE. From the President on down.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 10:25:00 2014

@Mass Howler- Be careful! They've almost made it illegal to carry cash now, and will report you for withdrawing any 'suspicious' amount from your bank in cash. My boss' recently reported him for 'exchanging' (for currency) around $500 in quarters from apartment laundry rooms!

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 9 12:59:07 2014

I should be in laundromats instead of eBay

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 10 11:40:11 2014

@Basset:

>Might get really interesting if you recently
> used that payment method to stock up on
> Depends, fur-lined handcuffs, or
> a case of XL Trojans.

Would there be an extra charge for planting fake purchases of XL Trojans in my purchase history?

Just askin'... ;-)

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 10 11:57:56 2014

It is all about corruption, ebay is paying for protection because it is and has been violating the Rico Act.
How long before they come yo your home and break your knee caps for shopping on Amazon, by the way do not shop on ebay.