Sat Aug 30 2014 12:33:33

eBay Ads on Listing Page Grosses Out Seller

By: Reader

I am not listing much on eBay anymore these days. I once had a nice business going, but slowly eBay has killed my business. I have moved on, but that is not why I am writing. I did list one thing today. It is an $800.00 necklace that is too new for my vintage sites.

After submitting the listing, I clicked into it to make sure that I had no typos and was horrified to see this repulsive video ad by Ad Choice in my listing. This woman is making nasty faces and blowing kisses.

It is one thing to advertise the competition and re-route my customers to buy from someone else, but to scare them away is another. No disrespect to this woman, but I was grossed out by my own listing!!!

What in the heck is eBay doing?
Signed,
Too grossed out to list!

eBay Ads on Listing Page Grosses Out Seller   eBay Ads on Listing Page Grosses Out Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Aug 30 12:46:06 2014

The ads change.  Just because that one was on it when you were working on your listing does not mean it will be the same one all the time.  They change all the time.

Now I'm not justifying what Ebay is doing.  I fought that change hard as far as I'm concerned they are advertising in space I paid for.  I don't like them one little bit.

And just to add insult to injury sometimes they advertise some of my competitors on my listings.  Thank you Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat Aug 30 14:52:33 2014

With Firefox and the ''Ad Block Plus'' plug-in, I'm able to block almost ALL annoying ads like the one you described.

I never knew such a thing was possible until my techy-geek-programmer husband showed me.

(Of course, your potential buyers will still see eBay's intrusive and distracting ads... but there will be a little less stress in your own online experience.)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Sat Aug 30 15:10:05 2014

I have Adblock plus as well. I don't see these.  Sometimes I look at my little ABP stopsign in the corner of my screen and it has blocked from 24-36 ads. It is awesome, and I also don't have to view commercials before I watch a YouTube music video.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Aug 30 17:15:01 2014

I have to check out ABP. Some sites take quite literally forever to load, and I'm on a FIOS connection. It's also scary that if I go looking for, say, a purple widget, I suddenly see on all sites ads for purple widgets!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Aug 30 18:15:12 2014

The eBay executive suite—where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Aug 31 01:26:42 2014

eBay are now running ads on cable TV in Australia, trying to encourage householders to get rid of their unwanted junk by listing it for sale on eBay. Now, what does that tell us? eBay is desperate for sales (ie, revenue), and they apparently think that listing more junk will improve sales. Apparently they have not yet tumbled to the fact that it is not sellers but buyers that are now staying away in droves …

Well done, Johnny Ho, Ho, Ho; the destruction is nearing completion …

The eBay executive suite, where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

And for good measure, Retail Payments (and PayPal)—The Reality ... http://bit.ly/1nSA1Zl

by: ibs This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 31 04:28:51 2014

@Anonymous Annie & Rexford
Thanks for the tip. What a difference! I love this forum.

by: MovinOn This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 31 11:23:09 2014

Philip Cohen wrote:
''Ah, come on, don't be so unreasonable, eBay's got to try to eke some revenue out of those >90% of listings that now don't sell ...''

Maybe that's part of the reason for lower sales on ebay. People looking at ebay items are directed at other sites that have lower selling fees and lower shipping costs, since ebay has to take their cut on the shipping costs, too.

Philip Cohen also wrote:
''eBay is desperate for sales (ie, revenue), and they apparently think that listing more junk will improve sales.''

I agree completely. There is too much for sale on ebay already. Why make it more crowded? Do we really need 500,000 fake leather iPhone cases from Chinese sellers? Ebay needs more buyers, not more items for sale. Ebay needs to quit scaring the buyers into thinking that all sellers are defective and trying to rip them off, but ebay has buyer protection to cover their purchases, and forcing every issue to be a dispute, where most could be resolved amicably between buyer and seller without opening a case, yet ebay has to make it more difficult for buyers and sellers. Ebay keeps scaring more buyers away, and to make up for it, they keep raising selling fees so sellers have to raise their prices and/or shipping costs, which scares away even more buyers. It shouldn't take an MBA to figure that out, yet some MBA's still haven't figured it out and keep making things worse. The ship is sinking.

I'm glad I don't sell on ebay any more. I have MovedOn.

by: Grandma_Fish This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 31 12:43:01 2014

Annie, thanks so much for that info about Adblock Plus. I just installed it and it works. I also enabled the tracking blocker so advertisers can't track me.

No more of those distracting (and I agree with OP, sometimes disgusting) ads interrupting my news site reading and auction browsing. Yay! No more fat ladies with jelly-bellies doing jumping jacks, no more men flexing their Photoshopped six-pack abs, no more women showing off their too big to be true cleavage! Why eBay has stooped to that, I don't know. I do know those ads are showing a URL from Yahoo Ads, so go figure. I also don't know why I'm being shown those type of ads, because I never browse websites for stuff like that. I will gladly support the developers that made AdBlock because it really works! And if I offended anyone with my fat lady comment, I apologize. I AM a fat lady myself, but I would NEVER do the things they show in these ads for all to see. There's nothing wrong with being fat, of course, but there is such a thing as modesty. I find those ads just as disgusting as the ab-flexers and those stupid advertisements for male-enhancement products. I don't mind the ads for SPCA showing cute puppies and kittens or the ads for baby products. I'd much rather see ads for products I support. I also use an anonymous search engine called Startpage, instead of Google, to do my searches.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Aug 31 13:14:46 2014

MovinOn asks: "Do we really need 500,000 fake leather iPhone cases from Chinese sellers?"

I don't think JD will be happy until there are one million fake leather iPhone cases listed. And you are 100% correct about the vicious cycle that Johnny has created: buyers don't buy, eBay raises fees, sellers raise prices, even more buyers don't buy, eBay raises fees.... Even as dumb as the eBay executives appear to be, they have to be able to see where this is going.

by: StopTheMadness! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 1 00:25:32 2014

As a seller, the thing I worry about with these ads is what the customer is seeing. I can make them go away from my sight, but if my customer is seeing these are they being repulsed away from my listing?That is the big question.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Sep 1 05:03:35 2014

I saw the CEO of Johnson & Johnson speak recently and the reporter asked him a question about Wall Street.  He pretty much stated that he is not concerned with Wall Street, that he keeps his eye on nurturing the very diversified business portfolio of J&J. As a result,the company continues to grow and J&J continues to provide huge dividends to their stock holders.

In my opinion, this is just the opposite of how John Donahoe thinks.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 1 10:52:12 2014

@REXFORD---J&J has his own worries so sadly I don't think he would step in and rescue ebay.  Sigh.

I see the ads on other sites when I go to look at something--the things I searched for on ebay FOLLOW me.  I DO have AdBlocker too--but say I looked for an oil filter--the next search I do OFF ebay will show me (perhaps)  the actual widget I looked for or Google Maps and also--a HUGE block of ebay "Searched for"  items.  I so hope OTHER potential ebay buyers know that this is NOT something sellers select to bombard them with.

And yes--it IS a Catch-22.  Sellers can't sell so buyers can't buy--and the things I sell are highly UNlikley to show up on Ruby Lane or a retail website--unless Patagonia and Salomon and North Face have taken to collecting their OLD used items and re-selling them.

In "This economy"  the things I offer for sale SHOULD  (as they used to in a GOOD economy!!!)  FLY out the door.  Instead they sit.  I had over 60 LOOKS on one pair of fleece LL Bean slippers last week--competitively priced;  new;  and--not sold.  So unless the counters are wrong--and this was an EXTRAORDINARY number of looks---something ELSE is going on with buyers.

And the ones you DO get--well lets just say the LAST one I had was the chance offspring of an unwed female canine and is exactly the type of scammer that ebay has cultivated oh so well.

Where oh Where is the next big thing sales venue?

Kickstarter anyone???

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 1 20:31:32 2014

I wanted to give my two thumbs up for Ad Block Plus. One of my favorite places for news is The Daily Mail site, but it has so many video ads and scrolling ads that the site crashes on my computer after a couple of minutes. Since I've installed ABP, not one crash. Love that program!