Sun Aug 24 2014 21:31:12

eBay Global Shipping Program Unpopular with Some Buyers

By: Reader

I thought you and your subscribers might find this note I received today from a customer of interest. It was added to the notes to seller section of his checkout.

Buyer note to seller:
I am buying from you because you do NOT use eBay's global shipping program. I don't mind paying for priority shipping, but eBay's program pre-charges duties PLUS shipping. Since the gov't almost never bothers to collect duties from buyers paying duties themselves, eBay is just pocketing the money and ripping buyers off. Therefore, I thank you very, very much for not playing eBay's game.

It supports what we all have been saying all year. Customer is in Canada, order was under $25.

Please do not use my name.
Thank you.
E.

eBay Global Shipping Program Unpopular with Some B   eBay Global Shipping Program Unpopular with Some B

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun Aug 24 21:37:56 2014

Surprised? Not me.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sun Aug 24 22:31:58 2014

What ebay and Pitney Bowes are doing constitutes outright theft.

Just another illegal scheme ebay has devised to increase its failing revenues.

If our governments actually enforced applicable laws to ebay, they'd be out of business within days.

Thieves and liars.

Nothing out of the ordinary here.

I'd like to see the pinklady explain this away.

by: Deltamaster This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 24 23:22:23 2014

The government will not enforce the law against eBay Ming.  The Government is in eBay's pocket.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 24 23:42:47 2014

WAIT - SAY IT ISNT SO ....

eBay lieing? stealing? cheating? NEVER ..... eBay is the PARAGON of ONLINE VIRTUE, eBay is the MOST HONES CORP EVER....

Oh wait its just the opposite .. nevermind.

by: Damariscotta This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 01:45:29 2014

As much as I hate to defend Ebay, I am not sure what the basis is for this claim that Ebay is "pocketing money". I don't doubt that individuals may be able to get away without paying customs fees, particularly on small purchases, but I suspect that when Ebay (or any other large entity) is sending merchandise in, duties will be collected. So in this case, I think it is they buyer who has found the loophole, not Ebay.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 03:17:00 2014

When sellers who ship internationally on their own figure out how bad they're going to be screwed having to refund the ORIGINAL shipping AND PAY for return shipping anytime an int'l buyer "claims" snad I'll bet the GSP program will become much more popular.
I didn't think ebay could come up with a reason to make sellers WANT to opt in to GSP but by gosh I think they have!

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Mon Aug 25 04:45:50 2014

Ebay forces international customers into priority mail even on lightweight items that can go first class international. Most international customers would rather wait for the priority mail international for the huge difference in cost. I disables the global shipping program from my listings. Yes, it is easier to use it, but it is not better for the customer. And i assure you, ebay is making profits from it. They are getting special rates from the post office and are not passing them on.

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Mon Aug 25 04:46:58 2014

obviously i meant they would rather wait for first class mail international.

by: nimsaoui This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 05:32:47 2014

Hello, all!
As a European buyer I have identified 18 severe flaws in the Global Shipping Program.
Here's a few:
- shipping is about 3 times what it would cost with USPS Priority, because it is a courier service
- Pitney-Bowes charges for customs duties and sales tax even in cases when they are not legally due (higher duty free allowance, or books, antiques, collectibles...)
- Pitney-Bowes charge 20% sales tax to Europe even when the local sales tax is nil or 5% or 7%
- GSP shipments will be opened , meaning that valuable items may be damaged or  insufficiently repackaged
- GSP will confiscate large items (e.g. guitars) or ''dangerous goods'' like empty perfume bottles that are perfect to ship, usually. They will refund the buyer, and the seller keeps his money, but P-B sell the ''steal'' on eBay via their account international_liquidatorz
- With GSP combined shipping is not possible. A Canadian buyer was to pay $450 shipping and GSP handling for 13 books.
- Pitney-Bowes does not issue receipts for customs duties, so that buyers will have to pay duties again on clearance at arrival (Chat boards on eBay France and Germany are full of these reports)
- in case of a return for SNAD, the buyer will not get back the customs duties paid

MY PERSONAL SOLUTION AS A BUYER:

I got me a US street address with a reshipper in California (Shipito Co.).
They charge $1.oo (one!) for handling - plus, of course, shipping costs for the overseas leg. However, their shipping fees are even less than what USPS wants for First Class or Priority. And heavier shipments are very economic, too.
This way I save between $30 to $70 for each of my shipments, compared with what GSP is charging!

Avoiding GSP, I am a happy buyer again.
Tip of the hat!

nimsaoui

PS:
Here's what I published in German about the GSP flaws on the ''German eCommercebytes'', Wortfilter.de:
BR>

by: sueatkilmeedy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 05:40:05 2014

I always click away from any item I am interested in buying if it has global shipping. It makes it way too expensive....

by: luxe1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 09:30:19 2014

I'm in Canada and if there's something I really want, I contact the seller and ask if they'll remove it from the GSP if I buy.  They usually say yes and often don't even know that they are selling under the GSP.  But often, I'll just  skip over listings in the GSP.

I also had the experience where I returned an item I bought under the GSP.  The seller refunded me no problem.    The GSP fees? No refund - eBay kept them.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Aug 25 11:09:45 2014

Just checked the feedback on "international_liquidatorz". Wow - 216 negatives in the last year. I would say that constitutes defectiveness. But since they're an eBay partner we know they're not going anywhere.

by: jb5710 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 11:41:57 2014

I found out a person has to be careful about the global shipping statement that ebay has - they have that automatically checked & I am now having a problem with a customer because one of my paintings is under that since I didn't uncheck that box - so ebay is requiring the customer to pay $48 priority for get this - an ACEO!! they wouldn't let me invoice so we had to cancel the transaction - she is just sending amount to my paypal - my shipping to overseas is $1.75 - I send the ACEO's in a thank you card.  A person really has to be careful with what they are doing.  So glad customer is patient and not upset.

by: jb5710 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 11:47:05 2014

In reading some of the comments it appears that many don't realize that the global shipping box is automatically checked so therefore they don't know they are offering that or if they are offering it they don't understand what the cost is.  Always best to check the post office or other shipping for the amount of their product and sending one's own invoice.  I made sure on my other items that the GSP box was unchecked.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 14:16:51 2014

Theft of MILLIONS.
MH

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 15:46:05 2014

Complain to Bulliesrus at ebay corporate headquarters. Also please contribute to ebay executives bribe a judge fund.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 17:03:42 2014

Yes, if a seller wants to take the chance when shipping internationally they may be able to save the buyer some money.  But just realize that under the NEW rules if the BUYER claims SNAD and WINS (and let's face it...they ALWAYS win)....the SELLER is now going to be on the hook for refunding NOT ONLY the original cost to ship the item to the buyer....but ALSO for the cost to have the buyer ship the item BACK TO the seller.  As a seller, if you're good with that then GREAT!
But I think as more sellers realize how much money they could stand to LOSE on int'l transactions this way they won't be so KEEN on the idea.
My items ship priority due to size and weight.  That's expensive (usually $30+).  So if an in'l buyer claims and wins a SNAD I'm now going to be out not ONLY the original $30+ dollars I spent to ship TO THE buyer....but also an ADDITIONAL $30+ if I want my item returned.  any int'l buyer can now just "claim" SNAD and not be out a penny.  The seller on the other hand ..........well...YOU do the math.
But as soon as sellers realize they can just ship via the GSP program WITHOUT having to worry about being out all that international shipping if something goes wrong.....I bet they're gonna WANNA use it.  I know I do.  I won't sell international any longer WITHOUT IT.  JUST NOT worth taking the chance.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 25 17:08:58 2014

Oh...and just to clarify.  I sell on FIVE different venues.  I sell internationally on ALL of them.  And I will continue to do so.
HOWEVER...due to the new rules going into effect, I will NO LONGER ship int'l on EBAY without using GSP.
I'll do it myself on the other 4 sites where it's business as usual.  But since ebay offers NO seller protection against bogus snads, I just can't afford to do it there anymore.