Thu Aug 21 2014 10:24:14

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

By: Reader

I just read my Seller Dashboard on the first day of the new agenda. It said I had a 1.5% Defect Rate and to download a report to see more information on what was at issue.

Here is a copy of that report. Does anything here look like it might be helpful in deciding what I need to do? I can't even decide what I might want to challenge, as most every column is marked out or is marked N/A.

If I had gone over the 2.0 and lost my discount, I would have no idea as to where to start to change things.
Regards,
Bill

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu Aug 21 18:35:37 2014

I can barely imagine how frustrating this situation is for you, and countless others. Sorry you have to go through this.

I hope you don't have ALL your ecommerce-eggs in ONE basket. Have you started to explore the possibility of other venues or your own ecommerce website? --- Not that you HAVE to leave eBay right this instant, but you need to ask yourself if you're prepared if/when you don't have a choice.

Over the past few years I've encouraged folks to ''GET OUT NOW'' when it comes to eBay, but over time, I think I like Marie's advice when she tells us that we need to DIVERSIFY.

If eBay works (even partially) for you... fine. Stay. But why limit yourself?

If your future at eBay is uncertain, then why live with that uncertainty? Why be so stressed out?

Maybe it's time to have a PLAN-B, PLAN-C and PLAN-D.

I'll be honest with you... it takes a LOT of work to get your own ecommerce website up and running. You're NOT saving work in comparison to eBay.

But what you ARE getting is peace of mind, less stress in the worry that what you're building may suddenly disappear at the whim of some eBay cop, or some new eBay rule that's yet to be invented.

This isn't the end of the world... but I sincerely advice you (and everyone else) to take a look at their situation and try to figure out if diversification is something that would work well with your future goals.

That's exactly what I did. I didn't UP-AND-QUIT eBay in one fell swoop. It was a gradual change... and a change for the BETTER!! :-)

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 21 19:39:22 2014

Ebay is stumped also because mine is very incorrect.
The whole mess is a collection of bad policy on crack.
Start listing elsewhere

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 21 19:56:56 2014

@Bill - As others have been stating for weeks, you can't rely on getting a fee discount with the new defects that all sellers are now facing. If you're pricing your items based on getting a fee discount, you need to consider raising your prices. And you should seriously consider, as Annie writes above, moving your items to other venues and/or your own site. Since 2008 when the insanity of Johnny D's reign began, many sellers have been warning of the pitfalls of relying on one location to sell.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 21 20:55:03 2014

Ebay loves to keep us all off balance.  Something to remember about that graphic that shows up telling you your defect rate and other important numbers, it isn't the numbers used in your last eval.  What is showing right now since they eval'd us yesterday is what it is for the NEXT eval on Sept. 20th.  So look it over carefully, the dates appear at the bottom once you pop into the details of the defect rate.

At the top it will tell you what your current level is and to the right of that what your projected level is on the Sept eval, just keep in mind that could change as August is considered in that eval and it isn't over yet.

Now on that report, ignore the N/A, it is telling they don't matter.  But look at the X's.  Those matter.

On the far left is the transaction number, follow the line across and you can tell why you got a defect on that transaction.  Remember to expand your columns so you can read the titles of each column.

I hope that helps.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Aug 21 23:03:17 2014

I don't believe it is correct to believe "Ebay loves to keep us all off balance." It's simply utter incompetence by eBay, that's all ...

The eBay executive suite, where the incompetent mingle with the disingenuous, the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Fri Aug 22 00:20:20 2014

Just so every one knows this was not me since I have been a member on here since the beginning of AB.
I myself have looked on eBay yesterday to see what my PS was and I am still TRS+ but I am projected to be AS since I do not have the required sales to keep my status up at the TRS + level since I have not listed anything on eBay since back in May when the security breach BS was finally announced by Donuthole and his motley crew of thieves and liars.

Bill

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Fri Aug 22 01:37:28 2014

There were 2 tracking defects indicated on my dashboard for the most recent quarter.

I downloaded the report to see what was going on, and the report only showed one transaction, not the two currently counting against me.

The one item that does show indicates the reason is " No Scan Recorded". As the shipping label had been processed through PayPal within 12 hours of the buyers purchase, I clicked the link on the tracking number, and much as I expected, there for all to see was a full and complete tracking report which makes the "No Scan Recorded" complete and utter bull ship.

So I called eBay customer service three different times, but hung up because the wait times were 31 minutes, 48 minutes and 55 minutes. I will be damned if I am going to wait that long.

I called again late in the evening and got through after only a 5 minute hold.

I explained to the agent what the problem was, walked them through the report and the discrepancy as well as the details surrounding the one item that was on the report.

Agent agreed something was wrong and needed to transfer me to another department.

I get a second agent and after explaining the whole story all over again, I was told I was transferred to the wrong department and that I would have to be transferred again.

I was put on hold and waited for 45 minutes when I was suddenly disconnected!!!

Fortunately, I got the SR number for the call, and rather than call back this evening, I will call again tomorrow and demand a supervisor due to the disconnect. Hopefully after explaining all the BS to the supervisor, they will be able to expedite my call and get the fictitious defects descored.

Apparently, eBay did not add staff to handle call volumes, I guess in their obliviousness they did not figure that call volume would be high after they rolled out the new defect policy.

Either that, or eBay is so desperate to prevent sellers from succeeding in getting defects descored, they have intentionally understaffed the department that handles the process in order to drive call wait times up and discourage sellers from succeeding in pointing out eBay's obvious defects in their defect policy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Aug 22 01:39:07 2014

Why would the hacking cause you to stop selling on Ebay?  It isn't the first company to have a serious hacking and it won't be the last.  I'm not trying to minimize the importance of being hacked.

Ebay was hacked in late February, they discovered in March and then had to go through to analyse the severity.  Now I certainly agree they could have announced it sooner.  But so could of Target, Adobe, Michael's Craft stores, Neiman Marcus, AOL, Snapchat and the list goes on and on and on.

I'm not justifying what Ebay did or how they handled it.  It is just some act like Ebay is the only company that has ever had a significant hack and handled it badly.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Fri Aug 22 11:09:58 2014

These bozos have me for 2 cases of item not received.  Not true.  Tracking confirms items were received and positive feedback received.  Also have me for tracking and shipping issues.  I ship next business day or same day.  What a bunch of fools.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Aug 22 12:39:55 2014

Ric, I'm picturing a room full of Peggy's with cases of antacid at their sides.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 23 02:38:00 2014

I don't know why anyone would bother calling Ebay Customer Service anymore.

I called about a year ago when I got a negative.  The Buyer had left five negatives in a row within minutes for not receiving his items. Obviously, someone had not forwarded his mail.

I called, waited for about a half hour, told the CSR my story, got sympathy, put on hold, they came back, was transferred, explained the problem again, more sympathy and holds, then transferred again, and finally a big NO they couldn't do anything about it.

I think the CSR routine is:  a Peggy, transferred to Peggy Sue, then Peggy Ann, then to Big Mama who says, ''NO''.

It is my opinion that CSRs have no power to remove anything.

Ebay makes Sellers jump through so many hoops, with so many dumb rules, I just refuse to do it. I run my business fairly, and honestly. When Ebay decides that I am no longer worthy to Sell on their site, then fine. But, I am not going to spend hours on the phone, or go through the whole cancellation process to avoid a Defect, or not refund money through PayPal when it is appropriate. I am too busy working.

However, selling on Ebay is simply becoming to much work, for too little return.

I am going to give Esty a try over the next several months.

I keep wondering if the sales on the internet have simply diminished to the point where it is difficult for a small Seller to make any money, or if it is just slow sales on Ebay.

Actually, our retail store, in a resort area, did better this summer then it has during the last several years.

I'm just wondering if the internet has outgrown small Sellers?

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: laurengrace

Sat Aug 23 09:23:15 2014

@ebay's slow death It is just eBay. Amazon is rockin and rolling and I am selling more on the alternative sites that on eBay. I am preparing to leave the bay. I am not relisting anymore. I dont have an ebay store so I dont feel committed for that reason. When they came out with a contract for the store i knew it was bad news. I have moved my listing to several other venues over the last few months and especially on the venues that allow you to import from eBay and Etsy (Cause Etsy isnt much better) I will also have my website up within a very short time. I have really had it.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 23 11:17:04 2014

So many of the posters here keep worrying about that silly discount.  Ridiculous!

That's immaterial.

They could get rid of that discount tomorrow for no reason if they want.
If you happen to get that discount just think if it as extra business profit, because that's what it is. Business profits come from sales, though. Not from a minor discount.  Even when our sales were great (not anymore) that discount only amounted to less than $1000.

What you should worry about is a 95% sales decline if because of your ''defects'' you get buried in search and sell nothing.  That happened to us, and believe me, I'd much rather have sales than a minor discount.

That is a much bigger deal than any 20% discount in the scheme of things.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 23 13:38:16 2014

@Steevo
I am having a 95% sales decline with 100% Positive, TRS+, and 1 single defect (post office lost a package shipped within 3 hours of payment, automatic case opened when buyer tried to contact me). I get the feeling that I am blacklisted for some reason.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 23 13:41:31 2014

I'm not stumped by the defect report, I'm stumped by how eBay could screw up my business over a single defect that I had no control over. Something is wrong with the new search placement algorithm. Somebody got a bit flipped or something.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Aug 23 15:08:07 2014

Like Steevo, I've always thought of the 20% discount as ''Gravy''. Nice, but I didn't count on it always being there.

I have had it all these years, though. At this point, my biscuits would be a bit dry without the ''gravy'' that I have become used to.

But then, I suppose biscuits ARE healthier without gravy ; )

If eBay does not want sellers to have gravy - they should just QUIT MAKING IT available!

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: miss peachy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 24 03:11:16 2014

We have all been well and truly tangoed by Tony!

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 24 16:09:13 2014

No sales in 7 days, TRS/PS with over 450 items listed. eBay will succeed in taking the piddly 20% in FVF, they can have them & stuff them. Along with the no views. Killing our business and countless others. Can't wait for our own new website, not dependent on any other venue, to take off. Its been a lot of work. Had it is up for 2 weeks now, got our 1st sale the other day.
With all this NEGATIVE publicity, what buyer in their right mind would shop eBay? What incentive would a BUYER have when they hear all the NOISE from eBays very own customers, the sellers. I am sure they hear how crappy sellers are being treated and the unfairness with which they deal with members, what is going to make them believe that ebay will stand up for buyers?
I have avoided countless retailers because of friends and family relaying bad experiences.
The fallout of these outrageous policies and business interference has yet to be seen. The repercussions will be huge not only by sellers but buyers as well who believe in fair marketplace practice of which ebay has stolen, perverted and twisted to its own advantage. I hope they sell PayPal, only then will that service be offered on our web site but for now, we do not offer PP.

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

by: Yogo Sapphire 🌸 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 24 23:08:31 2014

@laurengrace....." I have moved my listing to several other venues over the last few months and especially on the venues that allow you to import from eBay and Etsy "

Can you or others PLEASE list other sites besides Amazon that you've had success with. THNX

eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report   eBay Seller Stumped by Defect Report

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Mon Aug 25 00:05:52 2014

People, people please, what did you expect? Do you really think that the "new" Defective Rating system was created to help sellers? Look, we the sellers, have to create every single listing from scratch, optimize and optimize, reprice and reprice, attend all those emails from cheap and abusive buyers, pay fees for listings, pay fees for store, pay fee for selling, pay fee for visibility upgrades, pay for refunds, pay for claims and invest a lotttttt of time doing all this. Do you really think you deserve some help from eBay? What is eBay without sellers? Come on people, eBay does not care about you, move on.