Mon Aug 18 2014 09:43:30

Seller Plots Vengeance Against Bad eBay Buyers

By: Reader

Had an interesting scenario play out in my head after dealing with eBay when a customer opened a case for SNAD, then returned a part which I never carried. (They also sent the part back Priority Mail when the original was shipped First Class. Fortunately, I do not participate in managed returns so that issue never came up.)

So, I called customer service, explained the issue, was put on hold, and was told not to issue a refund - eBay would reimburse the buyer, additionally, eBay would close the case and it will not count against me as a defect. I was also told to report the buyer for abusing the eBay return process using the report buyer flow.

After taking care of that, I got to thinking....what would eBay do if sellers started to leverage the process as a way to circumvent defects (and lie to eBay the same way buyers lie when they open false cases)?

Not that sellers could get away with it repeatedly on the same account, but... If a seller is close to eBay's meager 2% defect rate, sellers could use the eBay item returned is not what was shipped process, and lie to eBay in much the same way buyers lie to eBay and to sellers.

Talk about poetic justice - Buyer opens a case for SNAD, seller responds and tells buyer to ship the item back for a full refund, then when the item arrives, the seller contacts eBay and claims the item the buyer returned is not what the seller originally shipped. When/If eBay agrees, eBay refunds the buyer, the seller reports the buyer, buyer gets a strike or whatever double secret probationary mark is placed on their record, the case goes away, the defect for the case goes away, and the seller keeps their money!!

In the end who cares if an abusive buyer gets a strike...eBay does not do anything to penalize buyers anyway.

When eBay realizes they are hemorrhaging money because both buyers and sellers are abusing the return policy, perhaps eBay will step in and make the system less liberal in order to save money.

Sign me,
Vengeance is the way to get eBay's attention

Seller Plots Vengeance Against Bad eBay Buyers   Seller Plots Vengeance Against Bad eBay Buyers

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 18 10:34:16 2014

How sad that it has come to this.  We for one will not stoop to this level.  I feel OP's pain, but this is not the way we run our business.  If one loses one's ethics and integrity, one has stooped to the level of fraudulent buyers and eBay.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 10:38:03 2014

I've had several items returned to me that I did not sell. I've also had NWT clothing returned worn. Ebay basically does nothing.  It's pretty sad.  I have a 14 day policy, I had a buyer contact me the day they received the item that they wanted to return it, it's not what they were looking for, said it was beautiful, but they didn't read the description.
Well, 2 months later, they return the item, it is not in the same condition received, the packaging is all smashed. I contacted her and told her that I would return the item to her, and it was not as received. She started claiming the item was damaged when she received it, bla, bla, bla.  I told her why didn't she mention this originally I could of filed an insurance claim.
Meanwhile I contacted ebay, and they told me since she had returned the item, I should refund her......huh?  I'm waiting for her to file a claim, I will escalate. I'm sure they will refund her regardless, but I will hopefully not get a defect or a neg.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 18 11:42:52 2014

"Meanwhile I contacted ebay, and they told me since she had returned the item, I should refund her......huh?"

This is an example of eBay knowingly and willing enabling  fraud.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Mon Aug 18 12:26:52 2014

Understandable...

But, like Rexford, I would not want to compromise my values. Two wrongs don't make a right.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 13:01:43 2014

"a strike or whatever double secret probationary mark"...Stop day dreaming. Nothing is counts against a buyer in that crazy situation.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 13:49:07 2014

@Rexford / Basset
I agree, we don't have to compromise our values.
It's just so wrong for Ebay to reward scammers.  I told her very politely that I try to conduct my business professionally, and like any b&m store if you try and return the item after their return period, they will not accept it. Also stores are now strictly keeping tabs on serial "returners" something I'm sure ebay isn't doing.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Aug 18 14:10:34 2014

"Also stores are now strictly keeping tabs on serial "returners" something I'm sure ebay isn't doing."

I was in Marshalls yesterday and a woman was returning 15 items.  I have no doubt Marshalls will be monitoring her going forward.  How does one end up buying and returning 15 items?  That is a lot of buyers remorse.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 14:56:11 2014

@ rexford
a few years ago, I used to see those type of "returners" at target, after the holidays, I saw one lady return holiday dishes, tablecloths, etc, the whole thing. Our target has really cracked down, they will even scan your dl, even if you have receipt

I have a tj maxx next to the po and go there almost daily, they do keep track. There are also unscrupulous ebay sellers that buy / list and if it doesn't sell return. We're all paying for these "liberal return policies.  I much rather show somewhere with more strict policies and lower prices.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Aug 18 15:05:32 2014

I have too much of a conscience to ever do what the letter writer is suggesting. As much as I hate what eBay has become, and they probably deserve all the terrible things that could possibly happen to them, I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had ripped off someone. It seems there should be other ways to penalize bad buyers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Aug 18 16:21:11 2014

Don't do it. What goes around, comes around.

If you allow yourself to be consumed with revenge or gaming-the-system, you'll only be dragged down further into the rabbit hole (or cesspool).

I do understand how you feel, but my sincere advice would be to use your energy, time and effort to expand (or move) your business.

It sounds like you're really motivated to do *something* in response to what happened. So... do something POSITIVE for yourself! You deserve it! (Don't waste time and negative energy on eBay.)

Good luck! :-) <3

by: AgendaSwallowsAll This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 18:01:51 2014

It's hard for one to grasp this for it would end complaint and debate, something we all need to a degree in our lives but we all must stop kidding ourselves trying to figure out why Donahoe & Co. does what they do.

Although I can't say with certainty Donahoe doesn't have something against small to mid-level sellers be it innate, bred by the Class Action suits that I have to think at least in part brought about the labeling of this class of sellers as ''noise'' or similar reasons, you can all bet your bottom dollar these moves or any similar over these past years of the Donahoe & Co. regime have anything to do with ''customer satisfaction'', customer experience'' or anything remotely similar. All of it and I do mean all of it has to do with an avenue to revenue for Donahoe & Co. but it's not a long term business plan, it can't possibly be.

This is not the first time in History this mindset has been set in place, Donahoe mistakenly believes he's original. The outcome will be the same as History has proven and that is:

AgendaSwallowsAll

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 18:05:37 2014

Also, this is the technology age. If a buyer does that to you, in this age of Google, Facebook, etc...it's NOT hard out about a buyer regardless of how accurate their Ebay contact info. is. If someone scammed you, do the investigating and file a police report or confront them with it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 18 18:20:18 2014

Chances are the CSR the OP had notice that the buyer had a history of claims and/or claims with similar complaints from sellers.  Without any proof, it is unlikely that they would have done what they did for this seller.  While certainly refreshing, something was in play here that the OP is unaware of.

And I completely agree with Annie.  Two wrongs do not make it right.  Rise above the fray  and treat people as you would want to be treated.  Bad buyers like this are a real minority.  Why would anyone consider punishing everyone for the wrong doing of a few.  Oh Wait, Ebay does that all the time.  LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Aug 18 20:35:24 2014

To all the high minded, angelic sellers here :-)

What does an honest seller do when selling on a fundamentally dishonest "venue" to a growing dishonest buying class?

A high enough percentage of returns  whether they're fraudulent or or not will put YOU out of business while further enriching ebay and in some case bad buyers.

So you take increasing e theft losses in profitability while trying to relocate your business or do you fight fire with fire.

Revenue stream is all that matter to The Ho and his team of sociopaths, and I think the OP may have a very valid point when he or she says this might be the only way to force ebay to stop facilitating this type of buyer fraud.

And, please,there are valid reasons why many us have to stay on ebay until the fat lady sings.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Aug 18 20:57:34 2014

I assure you I am no angel.  But I refuse to lower my personal standards to match those of some scam artist.  To do so makes me no better than them.

If you choose to lower your personal standards to match theirs, that is your decision to make.  But because I don't or someone else decides not to does not make us "high minded".  It only means that we are exercising our right to make a choice for ourselves.

I understand that for some sellers returns can be very high.  There are categories on Ebay that have more risk of that than others.  For other sellers, returns don't happen that frequently to jeopardize their business.  It isn't all or nothing.

Some sellers have to deal with more returns than others.  It is more category related than seller related.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Aug 18 23:37:38 2014

Dastardly and devil-ly delicious.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 18 23:56:40 2014

Pft. Ming you are right. This huge bully corporation is nothing but ruthless, immoral, unethical, and wealthy. It is EBay who creates sellers with the type of attitude that this seller has, and only EBay can be blamed for the bitterness that most EBay sellers have.

I have extremely high standards and morals and I see nothing wrong with fighting back or doing what is necessary to facilitate change for the better, especially when you are fighting against crime and corruption. It isn't the "meek and mild mannered" who create change. The "meek and mild mannered" are silent followers and it would still be illegal for women to vote if not for the couragous who stand up and fight against tyranny and corruption.  Fighting fire with fire in order to save your business is not unethical.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 19 00:06:54 2014

THE OP is very lucky ---I have had items returned that were NOT in the same condition (there for NOT the same item I sent out!)  and damaged destroyed or otherwise unuseable.

And ebay basically told me to STFU and GFY.

I had a brand new Ralph Lauren Black Label hoodie that the purchaser STARTED complaining BEFORE they even got the item---then claimed it was DAMAGEd--and then returned it against my policy ---and it was SO smoke filled that the Postal Carrier commented on it!  We could not open it IN the house the smell was SO bad.  And the fabric was visibly a different color.

Was this the SAME item I sent?  I don't think so.

However--ebay told me that this MUST have been somehow MY FAULT and I should suck it up and they were FORCING me to REFUND her.

I had to keep the package OUTSIDE until garbage day.

And yet--somehow this was MY FAULT according to ---EBAY.

And NOT the first time either.

SO--I agree--what the OP posted COULD be used.

But--tempting as it sounds--
Should it be used?

Probably not on a general basis.

And the CSR might be on drugs too to agree that the seller was right.  She won't last long.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Tue Aug 19 06:40:24 2014

I have had some of the most rotten, nasty and cruel buyers one can imagine, when I did EVERYTHING right, some of them actually were so damaging to my reputation I truly think they had no soul !

I have come across buyers that DO NOT CARE if your mortgage depends on your reputation, they are the worse of the worse !

I can truly see why the OP feels that way about revenge, but I have no time for it, eBay hogs up enough of my time for 1 stupid transaction, all I can do is hope and pray the person that buys from me is a human being !

I honest to goodness cannot believe some of the evil comments buyers have left trying to take my business down, what evil buyers there are on eBay !

Johnny Rotten and his legion of Devil buyers do not care about our survival one bit !

Yes War Crimes are crimes against humanity, but John Donahoes unfair policy's these last few years putting innocent good sellers out of business is in my opinion a crime against humanity also !

I believe someday we will all be shown how we impacted peoples lives good and bad, and Donahoe I would not want to be you, because you had to literally allow your DSR crap to destroy good peoples lives literally and there was no de-scoring, no righting a legitimate wrong !

I know I did everything eBay asked, and top service, and before the de-scoring I came dangerously close to being exterminated on the lying opinion of scum buyers who got a great bargain, and lied and punished me almost exterminating my livelihood unfairly !

Which in turn made me seriously feel hopeless and despair and times when I considered exterminating my own self from my own hand from the CRUEL BS you put in place and allowed eBay !

I can't believe that heartless man Donahoe let the real good people be exterminated on LIES !

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 19 07:08:52 2014

*fashionista
Regarding your remark ''There are also unscrupulous ebay sellers that buy/list and if it doesn't sell return.''... Why would that make you unscrupulous?  If the item is not used and you follow the store's guidelines you aren't doing any thing wrong.    That is what return policy's are for.  Say if I buy a Coach purse to sell and I take the pictures, list it and put it in my stock room and it doesn't sell why would it be unscrupulous to return it?  It is the same thing as if I bought it for myself and put it in my closet and  later looked at it and decided it really wasn't what I wanted.  I know returns are different for Ebay sellers as we are not retail stores.  Retail stores set their return policies and as long as you follow them, I see no reason not to return something that you can not sell.  On to Ebay CSR...I had a situation once with a dishonest buyer.  I sent out a perfume that was from my own collection.  It was used.. I had just got tired of the scent.  This perfume I knew was perfect when I sent it out as I double checked the scent.  This perfume had a screw on lid.  The buyer claimed when they received the item that it didn't have hardly any scent.  Well, long story short ...she sent it back to me and I knew it had been compromised. Ebay ended up refunding the buyer for me so at least I was not out the money for the product.  I did lose my original shipping.  Once in awhile Ebay will step in and do the right thing.