Tue Aug 12 2014 20:46:23

Easier to Get Defects Removed after eBay Fall Seller Release?

By: Reader

After the release of the Fall Seller Update - and the defect removal policy - I decided to call eBay and give it a shot. After 1 hour and 20 minutes on the phone and talking to the 7th eBay representative I finally got it done, I had 3 of the 4 defects I was calling about removed.

The gal said they would be removed on Wednesdays so I'm going to give it two Wednesdays and then check to see if they're actually gone. Keep your fingers crossed.

If you need to call ask for the "Resolution Center Appeals Department". If you get a different department just tell them you need to have some defects removed and ask for the "Resolution Center Appeals Department" and have your notes handy on all the cases you need to discuss.
Debra

Easier to Get Defects Removed after eBay Fall Sell   Easier to Get Defects Removed after eBay Fall Sell

by: Mr Mog This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 13 02:03:24 2014

Or you could spend your valuable time selling on other sites instead of chasing yet more and more constantly changing terms on ebay. There's only so many hours in the day.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Aug 13 06:23:17 2014

Where is the "like" button on Mr. Mog's post.  :)

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Wed Aug 13 08:21:40 2014

Sometimes I have had to wait for 1 to 1 and 1/2 Hours just to get a rep on the phone.

And 7 ????? You lucked out ! Sometimes I have had to go through 12 to 15 over a 2 to 3 day period of trying till I found a rep with big enough balls to see I was CLEARLY screwed, and they would remove the defects, while the first 14 were scared of Lord Donahoe's heavy hand falling on them I suppose, so they would not help !

Mr. Mog is correct, we need to be spending out time selling somewhere else, rather than wasting our day trying to get an injustice POSSIBLE removed !

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 13 10:28:13 2014

THIS IS AMAZING - but not what I was told yesterday after 2 hours & getting 10 wrong people on the phone.
I had some ''down time'' so I figured I'd give that a shot. One person told me to have the buyer contact eBay to make amends (really????) and the last person I spoke said there are no tools for them to remove defects. I think that you had someone that has not a clue so told you what they thought might be right. Please come back and let us know if it actually worked.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 13 11:23:36 2014

I was also told that the only way a defect could be removed is IF it had feedback, and it has to be bad feedback or feedback that was against ebay policy.

IF you get a positive feedback and low DSR's ebay (by their own twisted programming) does not have the capability to remove positive feedback much less the defect associated with it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Aug 13 18:49:40 2014

Very recently, for the first time ever, I gave a seller a neutral feedback, for reasons I thought justifiable at the time but with the thought that I could revise it later; the seller came back to me and the problem was sorted out and I happily agreed to revise my feedback.

I then found that I could not initiate such a revision; a request for feedback revision has to come from the seller via an eBay form; on notifying the seller of that problem, they responded that the eBay system would not let them request same. …

I thought, this does not make sense; so I rang eBay (first time ever, expecting to spend a half day on the phone), and was talking to a CS (in the Philippines) within seconds! …

It seems that there is a limit on the number of “feedback revision requests” that a seller can make and this seller had apparently reached their limit, whatever that limit was.

The question then is, why is there such a limit? Surely, this should simply be a matter between the seller and the buyer, but, apparently, not so, and eBay’s clunky system won’t allow me to revise my feedback to positive; which, once again, demonstrates either eBay’s simple incompetence, or vindictiveness, or both, towards its “non-preferred” sellers …

However, me being me, I carried on for a few minutes and finally was told that, although I could not revise my feedback, they would remove my neutral feedback; so, I suppose no feedback is better than what was an effectively a “negative” feedback, and, indeed, ~30 minutes later the feedback had been removed …

What eBay does with that record behind closed doors is of course another matter …

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ...

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 13 23:05:36 2014

Very interesting.  Thanks for posting.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 13 23:36:20 2014

Well as of 2015 i'll be totally off ebay as a seller with this NEW IMPROVED? seller update. I'm in the selling business I'm NOT a rental agent! Just recently I had a customer want a refund  she said because MY TRANSACTION caused her to overdraft her bank account? and that was my problem BECAUSEEEEE? Not to mention the forced return policy that we would be paying return shipping for not as described? And would be giving ebay the OK to suck our dry paypal account to pay the return  shipping? I DONT THINK SO! i'm a TRS with 100% positive feedbacks. Been selling on another site 5 years now. While that site is slow. Ebay is DEAD! $5000.00 of items listed on edead with Z E R O sales. Hope we all find some buyers somewhere online.GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

by: KAT This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 13 23:55:06 2014

Here's my story from 12:34AM EST,8/14.
Buyer paid 6/8.Opened not received case on 6/16.Promised delivery in the listing was 6-9 business days, so it wasn't past that timeframe yet, but eBay let her open it anyway.

Tracking showed it delivered 6/14, 2 days BEFORE she opened the case.

On 6/17, she closed the case saying it was there all along.
That her cleaning girls had put it on a table & not told her.

So, the item was delivered before promised, was there when she filed the case and the customer even stated that in her comments in the case details.

Sounds cut & dried that it would be a defect  that could be removed by eBay, right?

Not so. Rep told me that since the customer HAD to open a case it couldn't be removed.
I questioned that saying she didn't HAVE to, so he said,
'Well the customer 'wanted' to open a case', so it couldn't be removed.
I questioned that by saying that was her choice and she admitted it was her error and apologized for it so it shouldn't be a defect.

He said since I didn't have a high defect rate that they wouldn't remove it but if it got to be a problem of more cases opened, where it would kick me out of Top Seller rating, THEN to call back and maybe they would remove some of them.

Really?! Why should I wait for the defect to be a big problem before I get it fixed when the error is obviously the customer's?

My suggestion to eBay to fix this specific issue would be  that customers not be allowed to file an item not received until the day after the last day of the timeframe promised in the listing.

It's just not right that a customer can open a case when
it's not even past their promised delivery date yet.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 00:17:12 2014

My personal feeling is that NO customer should be able to claim non-delivery until they have verified with the usps website that it was delivered, checked completely their front and back porches and any containers on them, checked their mailbox (yes I've had customers write me asking where the package was before bothering to LOOK in their mailbox!), check with all family members and people like maids with access to the house, neighbors, girlfriends and boyfriends that may have picked up the mail, and then swear to this, that they have done all this checking to a notary who will then certify that this person swore that they were telling the truth, before they can claim that something wasn't delivered.  As much as people complain about the usps, in 10K+ packages I have sent, both in the US and abroad, I've only had about 3-4 go missing in 12 years of selling. I do however have a long list of stories where those delivered packages were and if they had only bothered asking someone at home instead of me, they would have found it a whole lot quicker. One woman kept writing me over and over all evening as if she wanted me to jump in my car drive to her house and look for the package myself. Finally I must have convinced her to check on her front porch where there it was all along. So then she had to complain that the book I had sent her (one of those cardboard pages children's books) was squashed flat like an elephant had stepped on it. Anyone with good acquaintance with one of those books knows that even a elephant stepping on that sort of books isn't going to hurt it much if at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: markgrohman

Thu Aug 14 00:19:24 2014

I've heard that if you offer free return shipping, the buyer has to work much harder to negatively impact your item as described defect ratings.

Good to hear the eBay seller support reps now have the visibility into defect needed to remove them. When I called last week, they told me to try back Thursday (today).

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 00:55:43 2014

@MARK GROHMAN---

If you manage to get a sale AT ALL at the current absurd prices on ebay then you have to pay for that outbound shipping and pay the fees and the Paypal fees and the gas and the printer ink---this list goes on---

By the time you do THAT you are probably also down to a VERY small profit if any.

To then add insult to injury and have to PAY for the return shipping when the buyer decides that their cat doesn't like the widget you sold them?

At that point you might as well just pick random address' out of the phone book and send THOSE people your stuff.

In fact that might be CHEAPER and if you don't include your return address you could clear your house out in no time.

And NO complaints!!!!

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 01:15:09 2014

This is garbage. CS reps are still insisting they cannot manually remove defects.

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 08:46:45 2014

Holding for 1.5 hours is not easier.  It makes a government foul up look like a cake walk.

by: Denizen This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 09:04:27 2014

Did I read this right from Ina's description of the new User Agreement?

if eBay hassle-free returns are applied to your listings, you authorize eBay to remove the refund amount from your PayPal account, place the amount on your invoice, and/or charge your payment method on file.

If they take the refund from your PayPal account and then put it on your monthly invoice, aren't you paying twice?  Once with a PayPal deduction and once on your invoice.

by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 09:22:00 2014

For those of you struggling with these Not Received defects. If the tracking shows delivered- escalate the case to Ebay immediately-yes, you will have to call and possibly sit on hold for an hour or more, but the case will be closed immediately, defect removed, and all feedback & DSRs removed-including Positive, neutral or negative. If the package hasn't been delivered due to a postal hang up or error of some sort-watch the tracking. As soon as the package shows delivered, escalate the case, again all feedback, defects etc. will be removed. If your customer closes the case before you escalate you are stuck with the defect and any low DSRs, feedback etc. Do communicate with your customer, however be careful to manage the open case for the best possible outcome for your self.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Aug 14 10:04:01 2014

@DebraD,

The question that needs to be asked is, why does anyone have to spend hours on the phone to achieve a just outcome, when any competent system would do it automatically and not be wasting everybody's time (including eBay's)?

The eBay executive suite, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 12:04:49 2014

I agree with Philip, the big question is WHY do i have to spend hours on the phone?  Ebay has simply created another time suck process which i believe is geared to taking our money cause it's way too much trouble to spend hours on the phone to get the money back.  i know the way i handle my business is correct and professional. i don't have time to deal with customer service over something i did correctly.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Thu Aug 14 13:43:33 2014

The big problem is that most of the people that handles the calls are not in the United States, for those who sell in the USA, most claims and negative feedback are related to shipping time, thus, it is impossible for someone located 15,000 miles away to offer any kind of help and they usually play the "transfer you to the right department" game, which is a transfer to another guy located in the next cubicle.

Not to be mean or anything like that but that is the big different between Amazon customer service and eBay. eBay first line of support has the skills of a hamster, all copy paste replies or transfer tricks. To get Defect Rates removed, eBay needs to fix its Defective customer support, we the sellers deserve much better than that. We the sellers are busy trying to sell and service customers, we do not have time to be transferred from one low skilled support person to another. The last time I tried, I got transferred to eBay Germany, luckily the guy was very nice and told me that it happens quite often. Sometimes I imagine that this support people hate USA sellers so much that they have fun with our calls.

If that is not such a big deal, let me add, last year we made a call to lift our seller limits, after 5 transfers, we got to the "right" guy, I swear this guy had the biggest accent I ever got in a phone call, after a lot of time trying to understand his basic questions ( 3 minutes hold on every question ), he said, I will ask you some questions to verify if you qualify for having your seller limits lifted. He began to talk and I just simply could not understand half of the question, the numbers where very had to understand, politely I ask to repeat the question, ( BTW, English is also not my first language but I do much better than those guys ). After a few times trying to understand the question, the guy very upset and he told me, since you are not able to answer my questions your seller limits will not only be not lifted, they will be lowered. I ask 2 or 3 more times, and that is how I got to learn that those guys are not able to handle any of our Seller Support Requests. eBay, you can do much better than this, we deserve better support!

by: Lana This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 14 15:02:47 2014

After reading all these horror stories from other eBay sellers, I decided to run my own test to find out how easy or hard it is to get defect removed.  A buyer gave me a neutral even though his comment gushed about how happy he was ("perfect transaction. A++++,..").  I called ebay and was on hold only a few minutes before a CS rep answered.  He looked over the transaction and feedback and within a matter of minutes agreed that the Buyer had probably made a mistake by giving me a neutral rather than a positive feedback.  And he removed the neutral right then and there.  The rep told me it might take a few hours for the revision to show up online but right after hanging up with the rep I went onto My eBay and the neutral was already gone.  Easy Peasy.  Maybe I got lucky but I thought it was VERY EASY to have a defect removed.