Sat Aug 9 2014 21:31:22

eBay Rep Tells Seller the Post Office Is Her Employee

By: Reader

Hello, Ina,
Thank you for holding up a light to eBay's flawed "defect" system. I want to share with you the message I just left on eBay's community message board, and add my voice to the seller protest.
Thank you!
Diane

Defect - The Post office is my employee?? Really eBay?

I just have to add my voice to this discussion. I spent 2 3/4 hours on the phone yesterday with eBay, most of it on hold. The first two people I spoke to assured me that clearly one of my "defects" was not at all a defect (PO error in delivery, customer highly satisfied), and it would be removed (each then transfered me, which put me on hold for about another 20 min. each time).

In the final conversation, the customer service rep. informed me that under no circumstances would eBay remove the defect. Among other baffling reasons, she stated that the post-office is actually my EMPLOYEE so I am responsible for their errors (really - I asked her to repeat and explain this because I couldn't believe it!); and that my customer, by simply contacting me, has had a negative experience despite the fact that he told me he had a POSITIVE experience, left positive feedback, and said in his feedback that he would gladly buy from me again.

This person was so frustrating, irrational in her "rationalizations", and completely insensitive to my concerns that I, a 52-year old, educated, 15-year seller, and, I should add, "non-cryer", broke into tears after I hung up. Trust me, I'm a really stable person - I maybe cry once a year, and usually for something like a death or trauma!!! (Not to mention so upset that I cannot bring myself to do my weekly listings!)

The circumstances of this "defect":

I mailed and submitted tracking for an item in a timely manner. The buyer contacted me that his local PO left a note saying they did not deliver it because they required a signature, and he wasn't home. I was informed by eBay that the buyer opened a case when he contacted me (which he later told me was not at all his intention, he just was asking for assistance) and that my payment for the item was being held until the case was closed.

I assured the buyer that I NEVER require a signature and would gladly contact his local PO if he forwarded the info. This turned out to be not necessary, as the PO delivered the package either later that day or the next day without my intervention. In an email, the buyer thanked me for my attention, said he loved the item, and he left me positive feedback which included "Would definitely buy from this seller again!" And he closed the case.

If eBay is so very, very concerned that supposedly a buyer who has contacted the seller for ANY REASON, by  clicking on "haven't received the item," by default has had a negative experience that could turn him off eBay -

- even when the issue is beyond a seller's control, and even when the buyer indicates that they are very PLEASED with the seller and the transaction -

- then please explain to me why eBay's customer service is not at all concerned that I spent 2 3/4 hours on the phone, was told multiple different and conflicting things, and that I let them know this terribly negative customer service experience will probably lead to this 15-year seller leaving eBay.

Despite my expression of dissatisfaction as an eBay CUSTOMER, why does eBay do nothing to address both my specific circumstance, and what is very clearly a major problem with this new "black & white" defect policy for many, many "valued" sellers???

All I'm hearing are rationalizations and excuses from eBay. No one is apologizing for the stress on us small businesses (and people), or for the lack of customer service in rectifying these clearly "non-defect" cases. No one is saying, "gee, "valued eBay sellers," we hear you, you might have a point here, maybe this new policy is like the fishing net that catches a lot of dolphins along with the tuna, and maybe we should consider and rectify your individual "defect" cases while we reconsider how we can "fix" this new policy.

PS - If the post office is my "employee" as the customer rep told me, does that mean that eBay is also my "employee"? And if so, shouldn't you be accountable to your "employers," the people who pay you dearly for your services? Or, if I'm not your employer, but merely a "customer", don't I deserve the same personalized, positive customer service from you that that you expect - and that I deliver - for my buyers?
Diane

eBay Rep Tells Seller the Post Office Is Her Emplo   eBay Rep Tells Seller the Post Office Is Her Emplo

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sat Aug 9 22:05:58 2014

I feel for you Diane !

eBay has reduced me to tears also, many many times since 2008

When I read your letter, I see eBay is still inflicting unfair punishment on it's sellers !

It is just horrible what this company has done to people who do not deserve it !

Donahoe has to be the dumbest human on this planet for the money he is paid !

He must of been born with a Silver Spoon in his mouth ?

The man has literally allowed his bullsh*t rules to probably drive some honest, hard working sellers who were wronged by the lying opinion of a true dirt bag buyer to literal suicide !

eBay can NEVER be trusted ever ever ever ! There is no regard for the sellers, they small to medium sellers are the scum of the earth it appears in Donahoes eyes !

How could this man sleep at night from 2008 till now with the great harm, and distress his unfair insanity rules nd policy's have done to innocent sellers guilty of nothing but giving top service ?

Now he is posed to take more of us out with his operation defect extinction assault plan !

The lack of empathy this EVIL company has towards true victims ( sellers ) who did nothing wrong is just unbelievable !

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sat Aug 9 22:39:17 2014

A month or so ago, a rep used the EXACT SAME LINE on me.  I had a few 'words' for them after that statement.  I will say, that last couple times I called, they are backing down on from that stance.  We'll see if they actually make any changes on this one.  I'm not optimistic but from what I hear, they are REALLY taking an enormous amount of heat on this issue.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sat Aug 9 22:43:15 2014

And yes,  by the 'employee'  rationalization,  while you use the Post Office for shipping your products, you use Ebay for listing your products.  It's just a desperate attempt to defend an insane policy

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Aug 9 22:45:02 2014

"How could this man sleep at night from 2008 till now...."

Donahoe sold his soul to the devil years ago.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Aug 9 23:04:32 2014

John Donahoe has accomplished most of what he set out to do.

He's eliminated a lot of "noise" and aims to eliminate still more.

The abuse will continue to worsen until we're all history.

By then the poisonous negative word of mouth publicity will plunge site sales down even further all the while The Ho buys new companies to avoid paying dividends and to disguise failing results.

The objective of the The Ho's strategic plan is the personal enrichment of upper level management.

Since Pierre is part of this oligarchy, across the board corporate failure will be imminent when Ho "voluntarily" departs.

Ebay will then be sold off in Bain inspired pieces.

At which point we can rejoice and scream good riddance to bad rubbish.

But not before this arrogant sociopathic SoB has exterminated thousands of small businesses.

This user has validated their user name. by: windsorbear

Sat Aug 9 23:08:58 2014

Any time that you call eBay from now on, inform the service agent that the call is being recorded for legal purposes.  They will either change their tune, or immediately hang up!

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sat Aug 9 23:32:46 2014

Here's another counter intuitive thing about the new defect system. Supposedly, this is all about the buyer having a good experience,right?  The more happy buyers they have, the more they will return. Right.  With the old feedback system,  if I had more than  2  pissed off buyers in a month, I would not qualify for TRS.  I'm considering my numbers that would keep me under the .50% in any given DSFR category.  With the new system, and the 2& threshold,  I am able to piss off SO MANY MORE BUYERS and still be TRS. Am I missing  something or is this new system going to yield more unhappy buyers?

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sat Aug 9 23:35:42 2014

Of  course, my post was tongue in cheek as I intentionally don't try to piss off buyers (most of the time) but you know what I mean.

by: brokentoys19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 00:09:32 2014

The sainted ebay sellers advocate (and author of the ebay bible) once spoketh something like "Thou shalt butter up thy postal employees with donuts", so not sure whether they technically fall under employee status or what? Not sure if you deduct the expenses as church, charity or business?

Maybe someone who can get answers should ask someone who *really* knows whether postal workers are "employees" of ebay sellers? What's that postmaster's name?

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 02:39:34 2014

Diane-

Your letter illustrates once again, what so many of us small Sellers are going through with this new, stupid ask-a-question-and-get-a-Defect policy. It just happened to me last week, again.

After five days, a Buyer asked when I mailed an item. Of course this opened a dreaded Case. I told the Buyer when the Envelope and  Notification Message through the listing, were sent. Then I mentioned how he had damaged my account.

He said he just wanted to ask a question, and Ebay said it would have no effect on my Seller account. I told him they lied, and copied over the 1 for Item Not Received.

He apologized, immediately closed the case, and left glowing feedback.  His envelope arrived the next day. We parted on good terms.

I'm sure this plays out hundreds of times a day now, with Sellers and Buyers.

Ebay has created such a adversarial relationship with this ask-a-question-and-get-a-Defect policy.

Want to avoid Buyers having a bad experience? Then why does Ebay lure them into this trap that causes Sellers to become angry. Buyers are left with a ''What happened?'' attitude, thinking Ebay is an unstable environment.

Ebay lies to Sellers and Buyers, and their CSRs are a bunch of idiots who make up their answers out of thin air. I think they just like to mess with Sellers who call, because they hate their jobs so much and know they are powerless to change anything on a Seller's account.

Ebay has become a cesspool and Donahoe and his management team are plumbing its depths. They care about nothing other than skimming as much money off the company as they can legally (and illegally) get away with.

I agree that it is all about small Seller extermination, to leave the big companies as the only Sellers.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 07:40:08 2014

Yes, this company has turned into a disgrace, We are not considered customers of ebay, we are being reduced to disposable suppliers, that pay ebay to possibly display our items, that's it,

We closed our store last week, because of this latest non-sense and now only list a few unpopular items at very inflated prices, our 15 years worth of feedback is great, and we use it mainly to promote sales in other venues, so when customers do not see the item at ebay, they can find it at our website, it's a net Loss for ebay on our account, and even if that is meaningless to ebay, we feel much better about where we spend our money.

Just make dam sure that these bastards, get some pay back, no mater how small, boycott them, it must be done,

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sun Aug 10 08:02:22 2014

There was a piece on the news this past week, that actually showed a mail carrier dumping peoples letters and packages into a trash bin !

Maybe the carrier wanted to get done earlier for the day ?

I mean what if some were Top Rated Sellers packages mail ?

We get a defect for the carrier doing things like that ?

There is footage on the net, showing this carrier pulled up by a trash bin with the Postal Van, and dumping undelivered mail into the trash bin !

Yes Donahoe if an eBay sellers item was dumped in their I guess the seller is RESPONSIBLE and deserves a DEFECT ???????    NOT !

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 08:11:48 2014

The postal carrier was in CINCINNATI OHIO.

When (lucky someone saw this, and took a cellphone video right then) the PO was informed, they came out same day and RETRIEVED the mail. Probably delayed by a day.

The news story said she has been suspended, there will be "an investgation" -- and that POSSIBLY she might get fired.

MIGHT, POSSIBLY??

And NO they aren't kidding, she has the union on HER SIDE.

Every time I watch the news lately I feel like I'm watching the Twilight Zone.

This is sorta what is happening to ebay, ALL BAD BEHAVIOR is rewarded in this country now. ALL. Think about it. When Donahoe leaves, even if his stock is only worth $10 a share, he will be a BILLIONAIRE, so what the h** does he care?

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 08:20:00 2014

PS YIKES I sound precisely like my father 25 years ago.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 09:27:49 2014

This is common practice now for ebay, I feel bad for you, I have experienced the same horrible outrageous customer service.
It is clear that ebay executives are trying to eliminate small sellers on ebay. They figure if they can make you angry enough you will leave ebay.
They want to eliminate the competition so that the the large retailers can swoop in and take over this happened is brick and mortar retail the mom and pops were closed by huge chain retailers.
It is all about the stock market and bonus' checks at ebay.
So now we have a defect rate which is full of crap and ebay executives are out to make sure you fail.
Make sure you complain to your states attorney general and that California Department of Justice/Consumer Complaints and The FTC they are all gathering complaints about ebay do not give up be persistent.
I would advise that you begin to list elsewhere Amazon, Bonanza, Etsy and a personal website because this seller defect thing is not going to end well, small sellers will be leaving in droves again.
If you have a ebay store you should consider closing it in protest on August 19th,or put your listings on vacation.
Good Luck to you in your future endeavors.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 09:50:17 2014

Re postal worker dumping the mail. I read somewhere that the suspension was for delivery of the mail until review. Meantime kept job on the inside of the post office at the same pay rate as delivery.
With the postal union, bet money that the job will be secure. The power of the union.  (even though it is supposed to be a federal crime to tamper with the mail)

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Sun Aug 10 14:51:22 2014

Well if the USPS is your shipping employee, then so is eBay.

eBay takes a chunk out of your profit for shipping fees. What service do they supply for that fee?

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 15:39:43 2014

re: Dumping mail
I had this exact same thing affect my mail delivery in 1988 in Chicago (the Irving Park station - look it up).  The delivery person was stockpiling the mail in their truck and garage in the weeks before X-mas.  I actually called after a couple weeks of very little mail and was met with interesting questions from the supervisor.  Next thing I know, a few days later, I see this exact same thing on the evening news....they caught him doing this, etc.  The following Sunday no-less, my doorbell rings and it is some high-ups in the Post Office and the Branch Manager actually delivering grocery bags full of my un-delivered mail.  They did this for the entire neighborhood.  Now the really amazing part.....this employee was assigned a desk job pending investigations, etc. from which he was actually convicted of some federal crime....send to jail for 3 years....AND WHEN HE WAS RELEASED, GOT HIS OLD JOB BACK!!!!  If you work for the USPS, it is impossible to be fired.  I lived this actual story....this current person will probably be punished, but they will not be fired thanks to their Union.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 10 15:42:27 2014

re: USPS as my employee
Under this logic, I am therefore an employee of ebay and entitled to the same benefits....mostly Workers Comp....especially as a California corp. as the WC statute in CA allows claims for mental stress.  I cannot wait until a seller claims this against ebay as a WC claim.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Aug 10 16:51:25 2014

If the post office is my employee, I guess I'll be going to jail for a while since in all the years I've sold online I've never once sent them a W2 or 1099.

1 2 3  [Next Page]