Sat Aug 2 2014 21:41:02

eBay Sellers Protest Cancellation Defects

By: Reader

eBay is discouraging sellers from cancelling orders - since it leads to disappointed buyers - by counting them as defects under its new policy taking effect on August 20th. But in today's letters to the editor, two sellers describe cases where this policy has backfired on them.

Thought you might like a quick update on how eBay's defect system is shaking out for some eBay sellers now that we are close to the August launch date.

Here's what happened to me, and from what I was told by several eBay customer service reps, many other sellers are in similar situations.  I sold 2 items to a buyer in CA.  The next day I had them all boxed up and ready to be mailed when I received a message from eBay telling me not to ship because it was an unauthorized purchase on the seller's account.

Since I had already been paid, I called PayPal and asked how to proceed with a refund. The PayPal rep initiated a 3-way call with eBay and I was walked through the cancellation process step by step. The PayPal rep actually put the refund through.

Several times during that conversation I asked if I would be given a defect for cancelling the transaction, despite the fact I was doing so at eBay's request. I was assured I would not receive a defect for the cancellation.

By now I guess you know where this is going. I have a defect on my account for cancelling the transaction and although they commiserate with my predicament, no one at eBay can remove the defect. I have been told there is no mechanism to do so. So I am being penalized for something I was told to do by eBay and no one there can help me.

After speaking to numerous eBay customer service reps about this issue and similar ones related to the seller defect program, I get the impression that chaos is reigning in eBay's customer service department. They are being inundated with calls and the system is filled with bugs that should have been dealt with before it was rolled out. How can they penalize sellers with defects when their own products and service to sellers are faulty?

I am very upset about having this unearned and undeserved defect on my account. If you would like additional information you can contact me at this email address. I hope you print something about this because what is going on is so unfair and it is affecting many, many good eBay sellers.
Sincerely,
Pat

***

I thought your readers might be interested in an experience I had on eBay. I would ask that you don't use my name or userid if you use this in your newsletter.

A customer purchased an item from my eBay store. He then realised that he would have a problem paying because he didn't use PayPal. He wanted to send me a personal check but that is useless to me in Australia.

He then asked if he could cancel the transaction. I said that would be OK and started the process. In a few days, I received notification that the transaction had been cancelled. However when I looked at my dashboard a few weeks later I saw that I had been given a defect over the cancelled transaction.

I phoned eBay to find out what was going on and they told me that have been contacted by many sellers who are having this problem. When the seller goes to cancel the transaction they are asked to give a reason but the reasons are limited to a few options that don't necessarily match the reason for the cancellation. If you select "other" the system decides that it is the sellers fault and records that the transaction was cancelled because the seller ran out of stock or made a mistake. They just make that arbitrary decision based on no information at all.

Basically, I have been penalised for trying to provide good customer service in allowing the buyer to cancel the transaction. I will not be allowing that to happen again. In future I will file non paying bidder claims.

The operator said he agreed with me that it was wrong but said there is nothing he can do to fix it. Just another disappointment in the way in which eBay is heading.
J.

eBay Sellers Protest Cancellation Defects   eBay Sellers Protest Cancellation Defects

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Sat Aug 2 22:13:18 2014

When my Father was alive, he used to tell this:

"When your Green you grow, when your Ripe you rot !"

Mr. Donahoe, you running is eBay with your nonsense, and failed policy's that punish good sellers, and now your trying to find ways with your ( DEFECT ) Scheme to punish the best sellers on eBay !

Your a Joke ! eBay is a joke ! Every seller you screw, stops buying, tells their family and friends to stop, why can't you grasp that ?

"Because when your Ripe you Rot "

Time for you to step aside, and let someone with enthusiasm try to make the site better than what you have done, a NEW VISION ! You and your henchmen are a joke, why are you all still running this company ?

Thanks Piere, for having us make your site magical, and promoting it to what it was, then letting your Meg Whitman successor stab us all in the back !

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Aug 2 22:21:27 2014

Ah, Johnny Ho, you've done it again!

And this headless turkey is being paid big money to mis-manage this corporation—Only in America ...

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Aug 2 22:43:38 2014

Easy solution. Refuse to cancel orders for any reason. Make the buyer do the cancellation even if that means getting off their duff and calling ebay.

Don't understand why the Buyer JO longer wants the Item creates a defect.

Of course these these new 'standards' are a mess.

It's exactly the way The Ho and Devil Wenig wanted it.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun Aug 3 01:07:47 2014

I'm not getting this. You're only supposed to get a defect if it is cancelled for item broken or not available- NOT when the buyer changes his mind or for anything else. This week,  I cancelled 2 in one day for buyer changing his mind and no defects were given.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun Aug 3 01:11:40 2014

Wow. I take that back. I just notice the just nailed me for one of the two I cancelled.  I will be calling them first thing in the morning.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 3 07:47:32 2014

Ebay has also lied about the quantity of defects, if a single buyer purchases multiple items at the same time, (different item numbers) it is possible to get multiple defects for each item even thou they were purchased from the same buyer at the same time.

We had a buyer purchase 3 different items, when the items did not get to them ( he had a wrong address registered with ebay) we received 3 defects,  by ABSOLUTELY NO FAULT of ours, we are punished

Ebay has achieved new levels of Wacko, and when or if they give us the boot, we will NEVER BUY OR USE ANOTHER EBAY RELATED SERVICE EVER AGAIN, THIS INCLUDES PAYPAL.

I believe Something very corrupt is happening at ebay, this is not how a normal business acts.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Aug 3 09:15:46 2014

OP's defects likely reflect untold situations out there.

I have (2) defects from one transaction:

The buyer bought two items, paid, then wanted a shipping delay.

Per my policy (due to ship time requirements) I refunded her payment, held items and invoiced her to re-pay when she was ready for items to ship.

There was never a transaction cancellation, because she re-paid under the same transaction.

She re-paid, items shipped timely, buyer got items, I got paid, eBay got fees, I got positive FB.
All good right?

EXCEPT on those two items I got two defects. Still there.

Accommodate a customer = get a defect.  ''Backfiring'' is the correct term - feels like eBay is shooting sellers in the back. All while trying to attract sellers and listings.

by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 3 09:52:23 2014

I took a short break from selling on Ebay & it was very liberating.  Although I am no longer actively looking for items to sell, I still have inventory, so back to listing I went.

This AM I noticed that I'd sold one of my buy-it-now items, so I printed a packing slip & then I noticed I had a message.  Turns out the item was ''purchased in error''.  (I would LOVE to know how buyers continually purchase things accidentally.  In my teen years on ebay, I have never purchased an item in error, never had my kids use my password to purchase, never pocket dialed a purchase, etc., so I just don't get it) The buyer stated that if by cancelling the transaction, I would leave them negative fb, I should go ahead and ship the item.  LOL, in my dreams!

At the same time, should I decide to go ahead and ship the item, it would definitely result in THEM leaving ME negative and low DSR's (nothing like a double whammy!), so why would I want to do that?

Cancelling a transaction has become a very difficult, time-consuming chore.  I just resent the buyer causing me this headache & I resent Ebay causing it to be such a DEAL!  I should be able to cancel, refund, relist my item & move on.   But NOOOOOO, I need to now ASK the buyer if they will agree to cancel, when they are the ones asking to do so!  How ridiculous is THAT?  (by the way, sellers should get an actual free listing in this case; it should not be counted against my free re-listing of this item - just something that has bugged me forever)

Now the buyer gets to tie up my item for another week or so because I can't relist it until they ''release'' it, so to speak.  How ridiculous is THAT?  It's also very confusing as to when to give them the refund - the site says to send the refund, but the rep told me to wait until the buyer accepts the cancellation.

The rep actually told me that of course this will not be a defect because obviously the buyer asked to cancel.  I said, yes, I KNOW THAT, but I am reading what is happening to sellers and they are getting defects for buyer caused issues.  The guy then said that IF I get a defect for this, they MAY be able to remove it.  I said, yes, that's the problem, you MAY be able to remove it, not we WILL remove it.

I am soooo frustrated.  Obviously my vacation from Ebay for over a month was not long enough.  I just love being treated like the dirt that Ebay thinks I am.  Thanks Ho, for continually pointing this out to me, lest I forget.

This user has validated their user name. by: WOODJUNGLE! ON EBAY

Sun Aug 3 09:57:37 2014

They are now saying it is a 'mistake' and only cosmetic. They are supposedly correcting it. Why don't I feel assured?

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 3 15:46:37 2014

I do feel much more relived to know that the un-warranted defects are only ''cosmetic''   I was starting to really worry,

I think it's Time I go have a nice refreshing drink of more ebay Kool-Aid, everything is going to be ok.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Aug 3 16:15:02 2014

Letter writer Pat states: "I get the impression that chaos is reigning in eBay's customer service department." If it's chaos now, what's it going to be like on August 20th when thousands of sellers discover they are now "defective"?

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Aug 3 20:14:48 2014

eBay wants sellers to refund at the drop of a hat, but they want to hang onto that FVF like grim visaged death.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Sun Aug 3 23:59:06 2014

Just checked my dashboard and found a defect for a return. I called eBay prior to refunding to review the protocol for cancellation. I was reassured ''don't worry, you won't get a defect.'' I have been defu*ked!

by: MovinOn This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 4 00:00:48 2014

Ebay is treating sellers so unfairly by calling the sellers defective for so many reasons that are outside of the sellers' control, just so they can eliminate the TRS discounts for virtually all sellers. They think they are going to raise their revenues with the higher fees. Yet they have grossly underestimated the sellers, myself included, that will no longer be selling or buying on ebay after Aug. 20. I would like to see the number of items listed on ebay, and the resulting revenues for ebay, drop by at least 30% after Aug. 20. I'm MovinOn.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 4 00:09:07 2014

@Puck - You are so right about that!
eBay probably hope we'll try to sidestep the whole issue by using PayPal's send money function to do a refund.
They keep the fees and we don't get dinged.
Sounds like just the sort of thing eBay would consider a more than fair arrangement lol.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 4 00:27:14 2014

And how many times has a buyer bought one, then bought another, only wanting one of those.  Oops.

A mistake, he only needs one.

So what do I have to do?

Cancel the error order, and now that counts against me, and ebay will bury me in search, charge me extra fees, and a multitude of other discipline.

Great, just great.  Googleauctions.com, where are you?

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 4 00:39:38 2014

TRS is moot unless you agree to 90 day returns for the Holiday Season. I wonder how many gifts are going to get returned in January for cash back? They do it by the tens of thousands at the major department stores.  I know we are going to hear sellers screams all the way from East to West Coast and beyond when the hammer strikes.

by: manny This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 4 01:22:07 2014

Total waste of time and effort, treating good hard working sellers with good reputation with this level of contempt is not only wrong, unethical; is an affront to both logic and justice and  should be down righty illegal. Spending millions on half-backed untested ideas based on erroneous surveys with no moral campus or logic base only keeps henchmen and PR parasitic vermin in office. In pursuit of developing the perfect business model; some are leaders and others are nothing but morally corrupt followers and as long as the huge herd of sheep keep in compliance, the lynch bob will continue to dish it out in the name of progress, they will continue on their illegitimate path regardless of how many uprisings they put down and how many skulls they smash . In a court of law where facts, reasoning, and logic prevail, a person is innocent until proven guilty, but I guess Big D and his gang are above the law.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Mon Aug 4 01:37:43 2014

eBay encourages people not allowed to buy, to purchase, people without paypal, registered in another country, blocked by sellers, etc, then they tell buyers to simply cancel so that sellers can have lots of cancellations and DSRs go down. Another blunt scam to keep sellers money and stop top seller discounts.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Mon Aug 4 01:39:40 2014

A lot of sellers are issuing refunds from their own accounts, without cancelling and you know what??? eBay WANTS THAT, so that the seller does not get the commission back. What a scam

1 2 3  [Next Page]