Tue July 29 2014 15:55:15

Any Advice on eBay Promo Starting-Price Restrictions?

By: Reader

I just wanted to let you know about the eBay free listing promo (that ends today). I decided I would use it just to get the extra items listed. I sell clothing so I could NOT list for free at fixed price. No problem.

I changed all the listings to Auction, 7-day. Imagine my surprise when the grid came up with "suggested starting prices" most of which were in the 99 cent to $1.50 range. But I ignored that and went to submit the listings.

They all have red flags with the note "STARTING PRICE IS NOT VALID." So I guess that means I am supposed to go with eBay's recommended starting price?
Oh well.
Terry in Texas

Any Advice on eBay Promo Starting-Price Restrictio   Any Advice on eBay Promo Starting-Price Restrictio

by: Annne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 18:36:23 2014

Sounds about right.  What's pathetic is that this doesn't even surprise us anymore.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 19:13:32 2014

Terry-

On Ebay, when you go from Fixed Price to Auction With Buy It Now, you have to set two prices: The beginning Auction price the separate Buy It Now price.

When you have clicked on Sell Similar, look up in the left hand corner and you will see Edit Fields. That will give you a drop down menu with options. I think that the more things you change from your original listing (like add 1 cent) the more likely your items will be re-indexed and come up higher in Search. But, I don't know that for sure.

I hope this helps.

About those Suggested Prices, don't get me started on a rant!

by: Terry in Texas This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 29 20:48:50 2014

okay, Ebay's slow death, thanks for the suggestion/explanation. however i was going to list about 600 items and it's definitely not worth my time to do that for every listing.  even if i had the time.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 29 21:39:16 2014

It's a known glitch.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 30 13:25:46 2014

It's the kind of promo that drives sellers off -- an eBay promo.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 30 14:09:07 2014

No problem, just raise the shipping cost by $50 ;O)

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 31 00:03:46 2014

I didn't have that problem, but to me 99 cents is insulting as it implies I am too stupid too understand that if I sell items at 99 cents I am going to lose money.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Jul 31 01:11:17 2014

Starting items, I mean good quality items, at such a low price devalues the item and brings same or similar items down with it in price. I know a seller who starts all her items at .99 cents. Can you imagine packing china, dishes and glass ware including multiple piece sets for .99 or a couple dollars more? Her s&h is also at cost and not inflated. I can't understand why she continues to do this even though every once in a while she hits on the rare bidding war. Guess she is hoping ebay will go back to the good ole days.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 31 07:29:49 2014

I hope you realized that is ebay's "wanna be" starting price and I would ignore these and set my own prices. eBay can't tell you how to price things, yet.

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 31 10:52:37 2014

@ Linda   - NOW i know what ebay has coming up in fall updates - they will set my prices for me

Oh god

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 31 11:12:59 2014

@Linda,
       give it time Linda, give it time!

@ AC_in_Mich,
             You got it right!

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 31 11:15:37 2014

I have artwork painted on slate. It sell fine and because of the weight I have to ship it boxed, in a padded flat rate envelope.

Every time I list, it's the same thing, eBay recommends I start the listing @.99c

They are fools running this company into the ground!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 31 14:01:43 2014

And---there is a brand new HUGE Red Box WARNING when you are listing--well at FIRST it seemed like this was just for the name brand high end stuff I listed--A few Coach and Ralph items and the like.

then I listed a vintage pair of NO BRAND COWBOY boots---and I was TOLD that there are PROBLEMS with listing items with this BRANDING.  Because-VERO etc.

This is a MUCH larger and more--threatening---looking Red Box than ever.

Not that it deters me--I KNOW my items are real---but the timing makes me say---Huh????

Also HATE that absurd "Suggested Start Price"---NONE of these prices they "suggest" bear any relation to REAL prices and I will set my own prices thanks very much.

There was also a DIFFERENT "Glitch"  a few weeks back where you could NOT select ANY price for your listings--the entire PRICE YOUR ITEM was---non-functional.

Another "glitch"  is the one that you get when you try to RELIST something----the first page is fine but on the second page when you click RELIST ITEM you then get a RED WARNING that says:::: YOU CANNOT RELIST THIS ITEM AS YOU HAVE RELISTED THIS ITEM.

Huh??????

You then have to BACK OUT of the form by either using the BACK button or you can click on the EBAY logo and go to your SELLING page and check and see if the item actually did in fact--relist.

Some do;  some don't.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Jul 31 16:17:16 2014

@comet
''YOU CANNOT RELIST THIS ITEM AS YOU HAVE RELISTED THIS ITEM.''

This also can be looked at as ebay trying to limit relistings over and over again.

As far as ebay's suggested starting price, I find insulting and completely off the mark. What is the difference between a wafer and a wafer iron? Ebay's bots don't have a clue.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Thu Jul 31 23:15:38 2014

eBay is run by a bunch of dolts that do not understand that a seller needs to make a profit. All they care about is inflating the sell numbers so that they appease the WS people so they stock does not fall like a lead balloon.