Thu July 24 2014 15:05:14

Are Buyers Leaving Fewer Feedback Ratings on eBay?

By: Reader

I've been a seller on eBay since 1999. I am a TRS, with over 16,000 reviews, and 99.5% feedback (due to a recent "untruth" neg). But that's not why I write.

I'm writing to see if it's just me, or are other sellers not receiving their normal amount of feedback this past month? So far I've sold only 27 items over 23 days in July. Of the 27 items, I've received only THREE (3) feedback reviews. And I've only received a total of 10 seller feedback for the month of July, period.

This is so NOT normal! I've never experienced anything like it. I'm used to waking up in the mornings and leaving feedback for feedback that was left overnight. I very rarely have any feedback to leave anymore!

I'm beginning to wonder if eBay is somehow "magically" making the feedback link disappear for the buyers, in order to make my defect level go lower by August 20th. Last I knew I was right on the CUSP of "above standard" and "Top Rated" (before they changed the new pop-up slightly on the seller dashboard - now I can't see where I stand on the graph).

In summary, I am highly suspicious that they have "accidentally on purpose" programmed the system somehow so that buyers are unable to leave feedback. Could this be ONE of the many ways they can manipulate the system in order to not give sellers a 20% discount on FVFs? I'm very curious to know if other sellers are experiencing this. Thank you.
Signed,
Fed Up with Feedback

Are Buyers Leaving Fewer Feedback Ratings on eBay?   Are Buyers Leaving Fewer Feedback Ratings on eBay?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Jul 24 16:36:08 2014

I stated a while back that eBay could easily manipulate the DSR and defects stats by simply making sellers' invisible.  Fewer sales = fewer feedback and fewer DSR scores.   The fewer one has, the more significant impact a low DSR will have on one's business.

I would not put anything past this company.  In my mind, it is a company without a soul.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 16:58:03 2014

just logged into my Buyer account and all the big Send Feedback buttons are still there on my recent purchases, and link to the correct menus.
I did notice a few days ago that some of our defects were removed, for the first time since this wacko update, and it did lower our defect rate percentage quite a bit.

I think with all the crazy ebay stuff going on, it's hard not to think they are up to something again, like last night I had a dream that ebay was forcing sellers to use ebay logo brand packing tape, at $120 a roll,  :)

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jul 24 17:22:47 2014

@maxmad - What a great dream! And I wouldn't be surprised if that was included in the next Seller up-date. If the defect ratings don't rid eBay of enough "noise," then making the cost of shipping supplies out of reach for small sellers would be the answer.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 17:46:46 2014

@Fed Up, your hunch is very likely SPOT ON. For a company that "scrubs" the DSRs and feedback of big box retailers and blatantly announces that hides the visibility of sellers' listings when it wants to, anything is fair game.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 18:34:41 2014

@maxmad-

''that ebay was forcing sellers to use ebay logo brand packing tape, at $120 a roll,  :)''

OH NO!

You have just given Ebay their next big Seller Update idea!

We are all doomed!

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 24 18:51:30 2014

ebay PROFITS from Fixing DSR's

Similar to when companies are fined for False Advertising.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu Jul 24 20:47:14 2014

Let's face it, eBay reported single digit GMV growth, yet they are reporting higher profits.Those two facts give sellers every reason to believe that there are behind the scenes manipulations taking place on a daily basis which enables eBay to bamboozle their Wall Street Masters.

Might eBay be manipulating feedback in order to insure they are able to eliminate sellers from receiving the discounts? Very likely, but sellers have no way to prove it, and even if they could prove it, eBay has conveniently given themselves immunity - protection from class action suits by virtue of the User Agreement.

I personally believe eBay may not only be manipulating feedback, but also manipulating search in order to reduce TRS Plus sellers visibility and push sales toward sellers who do not receive the 20% TRS Plus discount in order to generate more revenue from sales.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 25 01:51:26 2014

I think you may be looking at this the wrong way.  Sellers should view the lack of buyers leaving FB as a GOOD thing.  With the exception of newer sellers trying to establish themselves.

If buyers aren't leaving FB, then they aren't hurting your account.  And somehow some of you see this as Ebay manipulating stuff.  What exactly are they manipulating?

Your defect rates are NOT calculated on the number of FB left.  Your defects are divided by how many transactions you have had for the period.

So if your buyer did not leave FB, then you have NO issue as far as low DSRs getting counted as a defect or a bad FB being counted as a defect.  That is a bad thing how?

About a third of my buyers don't leave FB.  It has always been that way for me.  The OP however is really receiving a low rate of FB being left, but still, that has NO negative affect on their account.

Number of FB is not the same thing as number of transactions.  Defects are divided by number of transactions to calculate the percentage for eval.

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Fri Jul 25 07:01:26 2014

Marie said: "If buyers aren't leaving FB, then they aren't hurting your account"

Well Marie, sorry to say now that you mentioned that, one of JD's researchers might of taken note.

LOL Not ! eBay is LOON ! They change things continuously ! There is no stable platform to build your business !

This user has validated their user name. by: LDS Brother

Fri Jul 25 07:03:11 2014

MARIE - I forgot

Now in the next seller release, they might say "We did a study and research of eBay Buyer's and found that when they do not leave feedback, that means they are dissatisfied and are less likely to return to buy on eBay again"  so that equals DEFECT for Seller when Buyer does not leave feedback as that clearly shows dissatisfaction !

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Jul 25 11:23:02 2014

@LDS

If JD really thought that was a viable thing to do, he would have done it long before now.  Eval numbers have always been divided by # of transactions.  This isn't new at all.

We have plenty of things to worry about, we don't need to add a never ending list of What If's.  Certainly Ebay's logic for some of these policies escapes us, but I don't think there is any danger of what you suggest to happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Jul 25 12:04:56 2014

Ric says: "The level of distrust between sellers and eBay is undeniable and eBay either is unaware or simply does not give a rat's arse - I believe it is the latter."

Ric, I guarantee you eBay is aware. We know eBay has people reading all the posts on this site, and probably other sites where predominantly anti-eBay sentiments are posted. I'm positive that eBay is well aware of every complaint sellers have about listings, fees, glitches, Chinese sellers, and every other issue that is brought up on a regular basis here and elsewhere.

by: former ebayer This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 26 06:05:45 2014

Not getting any feedback is a disaster. I would always notice when I received a positive feedback(never had a negative in ten years) something would sell in the next few hours. They are tied together. I think the algorithm is something like this.
1. Create shipping label as fast as you can.
2. Have shipping label scanned by USPS or UPS FED X as fast as you can.
3. Delivery confirmation will tell ebay you did your part.
4 YOUR CUSTOMER LEAVES FEEDBACK SAYING YOU DID ALL OF THE ABOVE. This tells ebay that you have done everything you were supposed to and your customer is not upset. Dsr rating may also figure in here.
5. Ebay will now throw you a bone for your next sale and your items will be shown in your search results.

Buying something on ebay can also impact your sales. I noticed when I bought something ebay would also throw me a bone. Usually the item I sold was less than the item I purchased but it worked on their end. Oh the power of algorithms.

That is one of the reasons why ebay was good for sellers in the early 80's . There were hardly any restrictions and algorithms were not even being used.

by: former ebayer This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 26 06:06:55 2014

I meant to say  the early 2000's intead of the early 80's in the above comment.

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 26 08:31:02 2014

I can tell you this, fewer buyers are leaving feedback the rate changes between 50 of 60 percent and has dropped substantially in the last 30 days.
I am convinced that ebay is manipulating a lot of things and has for years.
I do believe that with the changes looming on August 20th, the shipping estimated delivery dates that ebay has lopped off two days of our handling time, and the counting neutrals as a negative, allowing buyers to do as they please, the ignorance of ebay's customer service and the low traffic that things are going to come to a head with honest fed up sellers filing lawsuits
If ebay counts a neutrals as a negative on August 20th, I will be one of those.
I am sick and tired of being anxious and upset with ebay's childish games.
The immature and deceptive business practices of the current regime of executives at ebay is sickening.
They retaliate like children when someone calls them out on their failed and ignorant one size fits all policies.
We are just noise, we are noise that ebay should be listening to.
I have made a lot of money on ebay, but at what cost?
My family and my health are moer impotant than ebay.
That is why I have worked to position myself on other venues and that is something everyone should do, list elsewhere, I am getting more and more sales on other venues and that is a good thing.
File a complaint with your state's Attorney General.
It is completely absurd that a ebay executive can make a policy like a neutral is a negative and then say we are going to punish you for that.
We are not ebay employees.
We heard the CEO stating that ebay had to dig iotself out of hole after their security breach and COVER UP.
I am still waiting so what is the plan? Is there something in the works to get more sales? More visibility on search engines? Just what?
Nothing, not a word, all we get is this TRS defect rate and ebay will punish you if you do not adhere to impossible plan.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jul 26 11:44:57 2014

"We know eBay has people reading all the posts on this site, and probably other sites where predominantly anti-eBay sentiments are posted."

And you would have to wonder why Johnny Ho would bother having anyone read such sites; obviously, he has no intention of taking any notice of anything that does not concur with his delusional idea of turning the eBay flea market into the online “Westfield Mall” of the world; maybe such readers are only eBay staff doing their own thing, and wondering just how much longer the cretin in the corner office can last …

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 26 11:45:38 2014

@ebay refugee camp

"If ebay counts a neutrals as a negative on August 20th, I will be one of those."  There is no IF, these will count as defects next month.

*************************

For what purpose could Ebay be manipulating or stopping members from leaving FB?  I can't think of any reason, but possibly someone else can think of something missing.

What possible purpose could that serve for Ebay?  I don't know.

What happens if members don't leave FB?  A seller has NO risk to getting a negative or neutral FB that would be counted as a defect.  A seller has NO risk of getting a low DSR in any category which in some cases would be a defect.

I think some are still unaware that defects are NOT calculated / divided by number of FB received to figure the percentage.  It IS calculated / divided by number of TRANSACTIONS done in the period to get the percentage.

When a member does not leave you FB, it does NOT hurt your account in any way.  If a member does leave you FB, you are at risk that they WILL hurt your account.  So the lack of buyers leaving FB is a GOOD thing for sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Jul 26 14:58:53 2014

Some commentators make the assumption that eBay would only do things that are logical; I would seriously question that assumption; indeed, I think that the people running eBay are, at the very least, a bunch of incompetents; as Meg once said, a monkey could drive the eBay train; too bad she did not heed her instincts; but don’t believe me, look at eBay’s share price compared to Amazon’s—LOL …

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jul 26 16:22:44 2014

Asking what the purpose means does not equal anything remotely close to "logical".  It means what I wrote, what would be he purpose?  I never said or implied the Ebay is "logical" about anything.  That would be silly as they do many things that defy logic.

But that doesn't change the FACT that if a buyer does not leave FB, then the seller is NOT at any risk to get a defect for bad FB or bad DSRs.

It would serve NO purpose for Ebay to in any way impede a member from leaving FB on a seller.

Now if it were the opposite, if Ebay was forcing buyers to leave FB, then that would be a different story all together.

by: tony bonn This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 26 18:03:34 2014

in the days when I bought on ebay, you definitely would not want me leaving feedback because it would be negative. if sellers pester me for feedback, it will definitely be negative.

I have better things to do with my life than slave over feebay's rating system. what a childish bunch of crap.