Wed July 16 2014 11:22:27

eBay Mines Very Old Data to Serve Up Ads to Shoppers

By: Reader

I have recently noticed that when I am on eBay they place "relevant" eBay ads to catch my eye. A few weeks ago the ads were of items I had searched for. Amazon does the same thing so it's no big thing.

Lately the ads have been about searches or purchases that were made a few years ago, not very recent at all. I just now saw an ad for a funeral military flag display. I purchased one of these on eBay when my father died ... 14 years ago!

eBay is digging deeper and deeper into the past to find relevant ads to place. Like an oil explorer they are digging deeper and deeper into the oil wells, hoping for more oil. I think eBay is getting very desperate for sales.

Just a heads up to my favorite ecommerce writer.
Take Care,
Richard

eBay Mines Very Old Data to Serve Up Ads to Shoppe   eBay Mines Very Old Data to Serve Up Ads to Shoppe

by: Maureen This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 16 23:30:52 2014

Oh that is sad. Mentioning how much something sold for years ago doesn't help in today's world. I can't help but think this transition from San Jose to Utah has created a remake of Disney corporation. Companies have thrown their standards to the wind and allowed the younger generation to dictate how they want the world/ internet to be. Throwing all policies to the wind. Can't help but think this is like father to son take over. Seen that and closures/bankruptcies. Just doesn't work! Parent knows best :)

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 01:54:19 2014

I get this ALL the time---things I searched for once or a loooong time ago and they DO show up on my ebay search!  In that "feed" thing usually---sometimes I can't even remember WHY I was looking at this stuff!

Then the other day I noticed that I had searched recently--like that DAY---for something using one of my ebay accts.  When I went to the OTHER acct a few minutes later  I noticed something odd---the SAME item was NOW listed on the side of the NEWLY VIEWED ACCOUNT.  As a RECENTLY VIEWED ITEM--but on a completely DIFFERENT account!

Now that WAS a bit---creepy.  Say I wanted to have an account that was used or reserved (by me!) for buying gifts while the other was a more "general use" account--how would YOU feel if some one came along to look for a widget and discovered their Christmas presents all picked out and WATCHED?

Not exactly what I had in MIND here.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 11:35:11 2014

Actually, I do not mind these 'targeted' ads showing up (since ads will show anyway).
As a seller who sources items from Yard Sales, closeouts and going-out-of-business sales, I search constantly for prices on items I would never buy myself to see if they are worth obtaining for resale.
The targeted ads have actually helped me move into related categories that I would not have thought to try.
So, I say, keep those targeted ads coming (to me)...
----
On the other hand, I don't like eBay trying to lure my customers away with ads for items similar to what they are looking at on my site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Jul 17 11:55:20 2014

If one hasn't purchased anything on eBay for years, old is all they have.

by: simerivergun This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 11:59:06 2014

Ebay is advertising other sellers items in my store right under my line of pictures for my items.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  I called Ebay and asked them if Macy's advertised goods in their store for Bloomingdales! They said it had been going on for a long time and I just didn't notice it.  Not true!  It was down at the bottom below the next page arrows, and not in the body of my listing!  I pay for a store and I advertise someone else's items in that store!  Ebay said that they have the right to do this because of a little tiny line in the ''store'' rental.  And you are right--Ebay posts anything and everything that I look at everywhere they like and there is nothing I can do.  Bad business, you betcha! Fraudulent, you betcha! disingenuous, you betcha!  Ebay has a criminal mind!  Anything goes to hurt anybody's business as long as Ebay reaps a profit!  I did not sign up on a yearly basis for a store.  I am month-to-month and I, too, will remove my items as soon as the August 20 holocaust happens to the sellers.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 17 16:31:17 2014

Not a true statement ''If one hasn't purchased anything on eBay for years, old is all they have.''
---
Just searching for an item will get you targeted ads. You do not have to be a buyer as they look at everything you have searched for (just searching to check an item before you list it for sale gets targeted ads related to that item).

by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jul 18 06:22:24 2014

I have noticed those ads also, I also have noticed listings that I ended long ago being relisted by ebay.
I received no explanation from ebay customer service they said they were sorry though.
I guess that fixes it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri Jul 18 17:51:02 2014

''If one hasn't searched for anything on eBay for years, old is all they have.''

How about that?