Mon July 14 2014 13:07:31

Beware eBay's Latest Auction Listing Promotion

By: Reader

I spent the better part of last eve listing eBay items. I then noticed that the FREE promo items were - NOT working!

The items I listed in the Auction categories were taken off my "regular" 50/50 FREE per month lists - but NONE of them were taken off the latest promo.  It shows UP on my selling page - but nothing is subtracted from it altho I listed about a dozen items.

I just posted this to EKG a few mins before your UPDATE landed in my in box.

I do plan on calling eBay in the AM on this - I checked and this does not SEEM to be an "Opt In" promo and I received it on both of my accounts as far as I can tell. Hmmm - I just remembered I listed 2 items on my lesser used account; will check and see if that one worked properly. Not holding my breath tho!!!!

I wondered if they were doing the old "Bait n Switch" they used to do - force you to use ALL of your "Free" listings BEFORE you could use ANY of the promo free listings - there are so MANY things going wrong with listing things that I just can't tell anymore.
RELIST is messed up - I filed an EKG on that too - and search - well - don't even get me started!!!!

Thanks for giving us the chance to see what other eBayer's are up to!!!!
Comet

NOTE: See Ecommerce EKG reports here.

Beware eBay's Latest Auction Listing Promotion   Beware eBay's Latest Auction Listing Promotion

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Mon Jul 14 13:31:37 2014

eBay wants you to burn through those standard 50 monthly freebies so a week later you're forced to pay if you want to list anything else.

by: Donna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 14 16:49:27 2014

I had thought the same thing and after some investigation this morning, I realized that they are giving you 1000 per day - not the entire 7000 for the week. So every day at midnight it's going to reset for another 1000. So when I first looked this morning, I had that shock too - it's not working then I had to go looking through my charges, etc and was not charged anywhere for it so they are taking them off the promo and resetting the number to 1000 each day. I don't know if it is the same for everyone else, but that's what I found to be true for the listings I launched last night.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 14 23:02:55 2014

Well, Comet, I had the same thing happen to me but then it dawned on me to READ the promotion specs. The promo is for AUCTIONS only and it DOES NOT include 1 and 3 day auctions. Once I realized I hadn't read the guidelines, I discovered it was MY issue, not an issue with eBay. It is SO important to carefully read the specifics in all their listing promotions!!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 14 23:26:06 2014

That could be it---I will try seeing if ANY show as coming off the days listing later today.  (Midnight here!)

This doesn't really affect me as I was not listing 1000 items in a day--and prob won't burn thru that 50/50 Free--but it was more an annoyance.

And--sometimes I wonder if they run some of these promos to get you to list and then when things DON'T sell you just relist--which boosts the numbers of items they can SHOW N TELL---but which just point up how BAD sales are.

Back when there were rarely if ever free promo listings or the Free 50 I did not MIND paying for a listing---because the stuff would SELL--and having to RELIST was no big deal because it happened only rarely.

Now you would have to put a gun to my head to PAY for a listing---adding insult to injury with the FVF's and the "Tax" on postage and the PP fee and the mandatory Del Confirm on everything---Makes you wonder how ANYONE ever makes ANY money selling there.

Oh wait---

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 14 23:32:39 2014

@DONNA---

Thanks for the thought---I just went and had one auto relist and one I did manually and they DID come off the 1000 for the day---

Wonder WHY ebay finds it so HARD to make these things CLEAR?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Jul 14 23:45:03 2014

eBay is as inconsistent as ever, yet they continue to demand nearly perfect performance from their sellers - go figure.

These two diametrically opposing attitudes are only possible because eBay is run by schizophrenic one percenters who are unable to relate in even the most basic way to the remaining 99% of the population.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 15 02:48:56 2014

The structure for this current promotion was stated in the email and on the Selling Manager Summary page.  I'm not sure how much more they were suppose to explain it.

Somewhere along the line I would think that we have to take some responsibility if we make the choice not to read the email or the explanation on the Summary page.

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 15 06:55:40 2014

I have to agree with Marie. this is on us. The devil is always in the details with any eBay promotion but we have to voluntarily read those details.

Otherwise we can hardly complain when our buyers don't read.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 15 09:49:54 2014

It has always been that way!  ANY new promo is ineffective until all your 'free' listings are used up!  They know that most people will list just a few items or do so slowly, so they ensure you can't use the free listings later!  Besides, when was anything ever 'free' on ePay?
eBay should be renamed; escam (EXPECT TO BE SCAMMED!)

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jul 15 19:39:38 2014

I disagree completely.  Ebay has been very generous in the past three years or so with free listings.  And I am not aware of one single "scam" perpetrated by Ebay related to listing promotions.

It use to be that there was only a handful or less promotions ran in any given year.

@ Gina

You may want to watch your Summary page a little more closely.  Your regular free listings that you get every month due to your Store size or just because you are a micro seller are NOT used up first when you qualify for one of the listing promotions.  Ebay changed that a LONG time ago.

The promotional listings are used up BEFORE they start dipping into your regular free ones.  IE:  if you have a basic store and get 150 free listings every month.  If there is a promotion for free listings going on, then any auctions or 30 day or less BIN listing you post will count against the promotion first.

If you are running GTC listings, those are NEVER covered by a listing promotion and will be reduced from your regular free listings.

With all that said, this particular promotion is slightly different in that Ebay is offer 1000 free auction or 30 day or less BIN listings PER DAY for 7/11 through 7/17.  So you could do up to 7000 listing IF you posted 1000 per day.  But your maximum in one day is 1000.