Mon June 30 2014 09:15:11

Seller Expands to Other Venues in Wake of eBay Problems

By: Reader

Well, I am (as I am sure others are) waiting for something, anything, to come out of eBay's CEO in regards to the following:

Security
Google Search
Seller Defects
Board Changes (this is going to be a mess and eventually the boards will be taken out)

And the list keeps on piling up. I have been a seller on eBay for over 12 years and now, I have had it.

I have been moving stuff on to other sites for the last couple months in the hopes of having a decent holiday season. I want things up and running in plenty of time on Bonanza, 11 Main, Amazon, Tophatter, Facebook, eCrater and Craig's List. I refuse to go down with the captain of this ship.

I am using whatever I can for marketing to avoid using eBay altogether and steering possible buyers away from eBay. eBay has not been supporting the sellers for years and now, they have lost the buyer's confidence as well as the sellers.

Donahue has not been kind to sellers and now when all of the above is happening (someone said not too long ago that eBay will implode if they keep going down the path of no return) WE HEAR NOTHING from the man who takes time to "ponder" (ponder what we have no clue).

Well ponder this Mr. Donahue, if you would be so kind as to resign, there may be hope for this company yet. You seriously have taken a once great company and you and your cohorts have trashed it.

Free auctions, free listings and credits will not do it this time. It's obvious the buyers have gone. No sales since May 22nd.

This company has given me no loyalty so I have no remorse at leaving them and will never refer another buyer/seller to them again. Unless JD goes...

Signed,
TRS/Powerseller
100% 5.0 Feedback
0 DEFECTS
12 Year eBay Veteran since 2002

Seller Expands to Other Venues in Wake of eBay Pro   Seller Expands to Other Venues in Wake of eBay Pro

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 09:40:22 2014

Here's a petition with over 2,300 signatures calling for CEO Donahoe's resignation from eBay: http://www.petitiononline.com/petitions/jdonohoe/signatures?page=34

by: cupnw This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 10:55:23 2014

The new defect rate has prompted me to re-prioritize my time across channels. I cannot depend on ebay - I am putting more time into Google search/my website and Amazon.

I've kindoff given up on meeting the new defect rate threshold by August 2014. I'll give it my best effort but will not kill myself. Maybe my B2B business is a forcefit into eBay's B2C model. It has worked well for me during the last 6 years.

Regards, Naren
Cupertino networks
Platinum and TRS

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 12:02:31 2014

No matter what ebay does or doesn't do we refuse to be a carrot jumper. If they don't want us on their site, all they have to do is banned us...

We are well diversified so it doesn't matter anymore.

Bye bye carrot jumpers.

by: jaydee This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 14:47:25 2014

I agree....

It really comes down eBay still does not know who it's customer is, for some bizarre reason they continue to refer to the buyer as their customer? so in turn they continue to insult and destroy the people who pay the fees.

I just don't get it, here is one of their latest quotes, of a response to the Today Show Complaint.

'''' We have worked hard to mitigate the impact to all eBay sellers and to minimize any inconvenience to eBay customers.''''

They need a serious reality check,

EBay may not sink, but for certain, we will do our best to add a few more holes in their boat, by not listing our best items and fewer listings, adding more items to other venues, directing sales off ebay, and when we buy stuff on eBay, well let's just say we are the typical eBay Nasty Buyer, just like ebay wants.

by: jaydee This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 15:03:58 2014

NetWatch

A Petition is nice, but we spent 12+ years helping eBay grow and prosper, which they did, and all we got was a good Slap in the face for it.

it's long past the point of NO RETURN, for us,  Who cares about HO BOY , and his business, or any of the f@#$%d up policies he invents.

it's my business that's important, and I am in charge of it's future and direction,

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 15:59:19 2014

Did the very same a few months ago. Use to be one of the biggest shops in the category I was selling. Lost 70% of my business in just one month. While Ebay was going down the toilet, business outside of Ebay was thriving.

After a year of the worst sales ever finally by the end of last year the last 3 months sales where back increasing.

In februari it started all over again. Decided it had been enough and cloded my shop. Will never sell on Ebay again, after the way they treated my and a lot of other sellers.

Everywhere I go I give them bad press. The only thing good that can happen is that Ebay goes completely down to build a new Ebay from the ashes with a new CEO, new management and new and fair rules for its sellers.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 30 22:30:20 2014

Whether you are an eBay beloved or not, theres no reason not to have as many other selling platforms as possible.

With the right SKU on Amazon and the buy box woth FBA you can sell HUNDREDS of an item - something you can NEVER do with eBay regardless of ow much they love you.

eBays sins just make it worse, as regular sellers cant compete with the beloveds who dont get defects, have negatives removed, dont get beat up by VERO, dont get "seller protected" aka screwed over, along of course with eBay putting the beloveds listings up first via Cassini and letting them do "deal of the day" where eBay gives you cash back on your sales (when you see ridiculous prices on things coming from a large seller - thats "deal of he day cash". I know 2 different distributors who have accounts that are beloveds on eBay who get these deals regularly. They do things like $49.99 Kodak 12MP cameras and $300 unlocked iphone 5's.

Sell on EVERY platform you can and use eBay to make off eBay sales (BS its NOT illegal, even if you "agreed")(its like the "we are just a venue" and "DSRs will never count against you" stuff).

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Jun 30 23:05:29 2014

"Our ambition is to be the strategic partner of choice for every leading retailer, brand and manufacturer across the world ..."—eBay Employment Ad (2013) ...

Johnny Ho is delusional, of course; but then, we are all entitled to dream ...

Keeping “buyers” happy is Johnny Ho’s only interest because he needs buyers to, in his hallucinations, attract his preferred merchants, those leading retailers, brands and manufacturers from across the world. Ultimately, Johnny Ho is simply not interested in anyone that does not fall into this category; moms and pops, be gone! …

Those of you that are making post-eBay plans now are undoubtedly on the right track; in the meantime, use eBay as eBay (ab)uses you …

Notwithstanding that the eBay Dept of Spin likes to claim a “400% increase” in eBay’s stock price since the 2008–2012 global recession, the fact is, in August 2007, immediately prior to the start of the GFC, when the "Pain From Bain", Johnny Ho, was already effectively in control of eBay, the share prices of eBay and Amazon were both ~$40; with eBay recently <$50 and Amazon >$300, clearly, the “smart money” on Wall Street recognises eBay to be a "dog", and Johnny Ho to be a very poor dog handler; relatively speaking, eBay’s “long” stockholders have been going backwards ever since Johnny Ho took the helm; how then could minor sellers expect any different treatment from this headless turkey? …

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the outright criminal, and the just plain stupid ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: mbbn This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 07:21:42 2014

Agree w/ previous poster-
Take a non-attachment approach:
Don't worry about eBay and trying to control them--just worry about your own business and make your choices accordingly if eBay no longer works for you.

I don't love eBay too much either-they treated me horribly as a seller in Fall '13 for ridiculous not my fault issues b/c of this buyer protection nonsense.
BUT, I do see changes since.
I feel like they got the message.
Is eBay perfect?
Far from it.
But I have tried other sites and paint it any color, eBay has the highest traffic and, to me, it is far less work to be w/ eBay than exhausting myself with multiple platforms or trying to market my own website (which would also be very expensive).

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 07:29:09 2014

I'm very sorry to read all these posts about Ebay, mainly because I have 2 very small shops on Etsy that have been doing very poorly due to the never ending testing that's being done on the lab rats aka sellers. I have never sold on Ebay but have been a buyer for many years and have sellers that I've been purchasing from for quite some time. If you read the Etsy forums, you will see that the sellers over there are starting to talk like the Ebayers over here-- massive dissatisfaction with what's going on. I think a lot of us hoped that Ebay might be a better venue for us, especially vintage mom & pop sellers. Now I'm not so sure. I liked the comment about Bonanza and all the other venues. Does anyone here have experience yet with 11 Main? They sent me an invite to shop and are offering a 30% discount on everything, paid for by 11 Main! I guess they have so much money they can afford to do that. I can't imagine Etsy ever making an offer like that- they are so cheap they don't even have customer service or a phone line! They too are getting ready for an IPO, sellers be damned. Good luck to all you power sellers and keep the info coming.

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 07:58:56 2014

I have to agree with mbbn. I also wonder if sellers are possibly really mad at themselves for falling for the business ploys put forth by the EMPLOYEES of the various sites.

You HAVE TO  detach emotionally and LEARN that building up a given site is  THE SITE'S JOB, NOT YOURS.

These venues offer a service for a given percentage of your sales. Nothing more. Assess them  AS BUSINESSES,  nothing more.

I tried Bonanza. The sales there were almost non existant, same with eCrater, and Artfire. I see very little REAL  differences between the lot of them.

TRAFFIC RANK IS KING.

IF you all allow yourselves to buy into a given site's hype and become cheerleading, cupcake eating Kool-Aid drinkers, you've got no one to blame but yourselves.

List and run, and pay your fees. STOP falling for the never ending enticements put out by the various sites.

IF every seller did this, the various venues would be quietly forced to do their own marketing to drum up inventories for ''their'' perceived customers.

Sellers also need to lose the attitudes that I see when there is non stop complaining about the buyers. There are ways to cover you own rear ends, to slow down problematic sales to the standard 2 - 3%, which should be an absorbable expense that has already been factored in.

And, yeah, the public does not read. It's just another reality of working retail.

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Tue Jul 1 08:03:53 2014

Just hit ebay where it hurts,direct buyers to your stuff on other sites or to your own web site if you have one. If you get a good offer to sell outside of ebay then take it.
Ebay show me no loyalty,I show it still less in return.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 08:25:29 2014

What is really sad is that the extreme dislike of Donahoe & current management is trickling down to eBay itself as a selling venue. eBay's concept still seems to stand strong when it comes to auctions but with the current attitude towards management, those sellers will disappear and along with them, the buyers. I keep my eye out for other platforms that Donahoe HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH. I will not buy Nike products as long as JD is on their board. Anyway, SHAREHOLDERS must understand, it is not eBay that we are fed up with, it is the CURRENT MANAGEMENT that will drive sellers away...and the buyers will follow us.

by: morethanleather.com This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 08:52:16 2014

It really does not matter if you are a top rated seller.
I just searched for "leather hides" which is what I sell and the 6 out of the top 10 listings were not top rated sellers. If your product sells eBay will rank it high.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 08:55:05 2014

I left ebay in January 2009.I haven't regretted it. I moved to ecrater where for the first couple of years I had fantastic sales. Then Google started making significant changes in search and you can see the changes that lowered sales on my monthly number crunching. Finally I picked up another venue and with hard work, I just had the best gross income month I have had since March 2012! Only because I left the poisonous atmosphere of ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jul 1 09:10:16 2014

I believe many long time eBay sellers are adopting a new strategy when it comes to dealing with John "Noise" Donahoe's eBay.

That strategy would be one of apathy mixed with a large dose of ambivalence.

Blame Meg Whitman for the demise of eBay as she selected this monkey to drive the bus.

Blame the eBay Board Of Directors for turning a blind eye to the actions of their monkey who has shown from day one that he did not understand eBay buyers and sellers, and who did not want to take the time to learn about them either.

Blame John Donahoe, for being a one percenter who retained the services of like minded one percenters and who allowed the company to become as disconnected from the remaining ninety nine percent of the population.  Under JD, the term disruptive innovation was rolled out as an attempt to justify taking the marketplace as far away from it's roots as possible.

Lastly, blame eBay buyers and sellers for sticking with a marketplace who has proven time and time again that the interests of the buyer and seller take a back seat to the Game of Bulls played by the Wall Street One Percenters.

by: Willie This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 09:18:13 2014

SOme of the previous replies shock me - where have you sellers been the last few years? A petition?  Been there, tried that at least a dozen years ago. The ebay ship is sinking so I jumped off several years ago and have thrived. Mainly focused on one site but have dipped into two other new places.

It boggles my mind that some of you are still trying to sell on the bay.  You can't make much if any money if you are a small seller (ie not a big box store).  Ebay may change but it will be for the worse.  All one has to do is talk to some of us old timers who started selling on ebay back in the 1990s, made the site what it once was, and saw the writing on the wall.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 09:46:47 2014

I left months ago as a TRS.  Tired of jumping through hoops.  Do not need the headaches that go along with ebay.
I left as a seller and buyer. No longer any trust with that organization.
If there a sweeping changes to the personnel from the top and going down, I would then re look at starting up my activities with ebay.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 10:33:23 2014

@JAYDEE---Please give us all your buyer ID for ebay so we can BLOCK you---we don't need any FURTHER Nasty BUyers.

@FLYING CHILDERS---There IS a phone line for ETSY---but yu cannot it seems call THEM you have to file a request and IF they deem your problem to be WORTHY they will call you back.  This worked for me as a BUYER there--but the whole experience was SO AWFUL that I finished the process and CLOSED MY ACCOUNT.  This had been my ONE AND ONLY buy with ETSY and I would not recommend it to ANYONE.

I so wish that the people who post here and say OH WE LIST SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DO WELL---would actually TELL US where they are listing and SELLING so WE can go there TOO.  The more the better!!!!

by: JoJo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 1 11:17:44 2014

I sell on Amazon, Etsy, and my own website.  Sales are best on Amazon at the moment.  However, I suspect results will vary for you depending on what you're selling.

Haven't sold or bought on eBay for years now.  Every time I think I might do so I come here to remind myself why I left.