Fri June 27 2014 14:18:27

Seller Asks if Priority Mail Express Is Worth the Extra Expense

By: Reader

I was wondering if you could do an article / poll on USPS Priority Mail Express reliability. I don't send a lot of packages out Priority Mail Express because of the expense, but when I do, they're usually valuable items (hundreds to thousands of dollars each), and I'm not anticipating any problems since it's supposed to be one of the premium services provided by the USPS.

However, the last two instances I have mailed items, one item sent domestically arrived a day late (negating the next day arrival promised by myself and the USPS), and the other item that I shipped internationally to Mexico is currently hanging out in Brazil.

I received another Priority Mail Express order yesterday from a buyer in Moscow. I ended-up using the Dostami Express service through the Rusify website instead, which the buyer seemed happy about. She told me several of her USPS Express Mail orders were stolen last year.

It makes me wonder why people are paying so much for a service that can't seem to deliver.
Thanks.
Chris

Seller Asks if Priority Mail Express Is Worth the   Seller Asks if Priority Mail Express Is Worth the

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 28 12:37:13 2014

but sounds like you can afford it

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sat Jun 28 13:36:07 2014

Same USPS bozos handle Express as do the other services.

Shipped a $4k poster to California and the carrier failed to obtain required signature on delivery and a mess ensued.

Had a customer in Italy who selected Express regularly. The last time he did, the parcel sat in Italian customs so long I thought some agent was trying to make a career out of clearing it.

Next order shipped Priority and cleared customs in less than a day.

I still offer Express on all shipments along with Priority and Economy but buyers rarely select it.

They rarely miss a domestic delivery deadline but when they do you have to wrestle them to get the postage refunded.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Sun Jun 29 23:03:37 2014

My last two USPS Express Mail shipments took FOUR days to receive. My first customer was 2 hours late to her own birthday party while she waited patiently for the mailman to deliver her new $400 shoes. They never arrived in time (it took three more days). My second customer was furious because her Chanel coat did not arrive in time for her trip to Europe. Two very disgruntled customers. I'll tell you what is worse than depending on timely delivery of Express Mail: dealing with USPS custserv. Abominably and maddeningly bad. USPS clerks did fully refund as promised, but not without scowls and a wince. Is it worth it? It might be for pricey merchandise. One way to find out is to price Express with Priority Mail and include insurance. Insurance is far less expensive with Express Mail (and it includes signature confirmation) so SOMETIMES is can be the cheaper alternative. Will it get there in time? Don’t count on it especially if you are shipping from Vegas.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 29 23:55:52 2014

Don't count on it if you are shipping from ANYWHERE!!!!!

AS noted--the SAME people are NOT handling these as are screwing up the REST of the mail.  I would say they hire the "handicapped" but that would be an insult to the actual "Handicapped".  Last week I had a package go from NY that was to go less than 50 MILES to VERMONT---I can SEE the other side of their mountain FROM MY HOUSE---and somehow it was shipped to TEXAS to a processing center--AFTER it visited New Hampshire on it's journey.

Sent a package going to Europe to an island off of South AFRICA.

Had a package in limbo in Illinois for a solid MONTH on the conveyor belt.  And then the national PO had the NERVE to BLAME my local Post Office--who had never SEEN the package as it was mailed 40 miles from here!

So---who ya gonna TRUST???

On a high ticket item--go with FED EX or if you absolutely CAN'T do that use UPS.  FED EX actually does get it there on time even out here in Cow Country. And their tracking is awesome--they can tell you if the guy on the receiving dock wears boxers or briefs.   UPS is constantly sending me emails to tell me MY item is delayed.

Who ya gonna trust???

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Mon Jun 30 00:51:58 2014

Fedex is the best IMO. Only bad service with UPS. Ebay sent a return UPS label to a nightmare buyer for 38 pounds for an item that weighed slightly over one pound. They wouldn't go USPS because of mail fraud.

I only used Priority Mail Express once and the item was received by the international buyer damaged. Doubled boxed and well packed. Still don't know if customs damaged it or the USPS but will never use it again. This was a couple years back.

This user has validated their user name. by: elpereles

Mon Jun 30 10:32:08 2014

I live in an USA Territory. I don't sell high price items. So I avoid to focus in any Express method from the USPS. I used in the past it for personal issues and it is a problem. The 1rst thing you must know is that not all the USPS offices can guarantee it because every office have a specific time of drop to ''guarantee'' deliver next day.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Jun 30 13:37:52 2014

Yes, use FedEx for high value merchandise OR if it must arrive on time.

by: ktambo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 17 20:55:10 2015

NO! Absolutely not. First off, it flags your package as important and if someone gets sticky fingers, USPS is not equipped to resolve it. They sent my package to the wrong address but since it was "delivered" I got kicked back to local consumer affairs and my insurance claim was denied, even though USPS workers confirmed the package was misdelivered. There is no accountability and a lot of really, really bad workers at USPS who just do not care and are never ever going to be held accountable. Use FED EX.