Wed June 4 2014 12:10:11

Good News, Bad News on eBay Seller's Exposure in Google

By: Reader

I have a couple of little stories for you that you might be interested in concerning the recent hacking and how I think the problem is bigger than were being told. I wouldn't even be surprised if out of some misguided attempt at appearing cool, eBay hired hackers knowing full well that they were indeed hackers.

Ok here it is.

I used to do very well from Google traffic, it accounted for as much as 70% of my eBay traffic. Google liked my content, particularly the images and I would often and still do make it onto the first page of images and often in first place. But my Google traffic died a death and sales became a fraction of what they had been.

When I learned about eBay's black hat tactics manipulating the Google search I decided to have a look into one of my items. It still made it to Google's first page, first place so all good so far. When I clicked on the visit page link it took me to eBay's Ireland site when I'm based in the UK and always have listed in the UK.

This may not sound a big problem to someone across the Atlantic but the UK and Ireland are very different, we have different currencies for a start and postage needs to go by Airmail, so it is considerably more. Not to mention that the Ireland site has very few actual users. It is the worst eBay site in terms of rankings by far. The landing page it took me to had 2500 listings showing so my Google link was now buried.

I checked another listing of mine, again doing well in Google on the first page, not 1st place but above the fold so I was happy with that. Again I clicked on it to see where this one lead to this time. It lead to a landing page again which stated my product was unavailable. It certainly isn't unavailable, I've been paying listing fees on it for months to keep it maintained.

eBay did however suggest around 50 alternatives. A selection of button badges and sew on patches with pretty vulgar comments. Included among them were suggestions that I should "Go F*** Yourself" "See you later alligator" and "Kindly go screw yourself". I was a bit stunned actually.

I queried on the Lithium boards whether this was just synchronicity, coincidence or was it conspiracy. Was it a cosmic joke or was it a hacker's idea of a joke but it didn't feel natural. Well Lithium didn't like the question and banned me for asking it.
Tony

Good News, Bad News on eBay Seller's Exposure in G   Good News, Bad News on eBay Seller's Exposure in G

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Jun 4 12:34:24 2014

You know, eBay is eBay's worst enemy.

Everyday I come to ecommercebytes hoping to see an article telling of how top management are being hauled off to prison. If this is truly a just world, they will at some point have to pay a price for all of those whom they have hurt.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed Jun 4 12:46:53 2014

Banned forever? Or suspended for a specific time period?

I guess the forum moderators haven't yet had to deal with posts complaining about inappropriate adult-oriented ads on their eBay listings.

Imagine
how flustered and overwrought they'll be when someone mentions the word ''dildo''.

by: lucask7 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 12:53:13 2014

Everyday someone gets banned, or should I say every minute of everyday! I just got banned from e-bay's community help discussion boards for trying to warn other buyers about a bad seller! They said it is a policy violation. The ban is for 7 days and I have to laugh! Is e-bay now protecting the bad sellers? How do you let others know about the bad sellers? Be carful what you say on e-bay or you will be violated by one of the many spare of the moment policies!!! Depends who's working at the moment!!!!

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 13:12:22 2014

This is pretty scary for sellers like me whose usual business ENDED last May and a year later, almost to the week, started up DOUBLE my former best. Where was I for a year??? Mexico?

by: Tony This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 15:26:50 2014

Indeed, I honestly believe that the lunatics have taken over the assylum.

by: OnceuponaTime This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 16:17:44 2014

The end result of ''disruptive visualization'' in a non net neutral world.

For the next 120 days the fcc is hearing public complaints regarding net neutrality proposed changes.

Freepress offers a comment link  to file a complaint.

=netneutralityresources

The
article by Freepress

es

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Wed Jun 4 17:32:33 2014

''Well Lithium didn't like the question and banned me for asking it.''

The ignorance of the Lithium moderators is beyond belief.

I posted a comment about eBay's niggardly spending on telephone customer service and caught seven days in the penalty box for a racist remark from one of their basement dwellers.

by: fancypants This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 23:05:33 2014

I have noticed that several here and on Feebay forums have suggested filing a complaint with Silicone Valley BBB.
 I did and got it all filled out and notice they asked for an account number.  Where do I find said account number?
I do want to file the longest complaint in history.

by: moom This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 00:22:34 2014

When I first read about eBay being down graded in search the first thing that sprang to mind was, it's probably all those hooky links, the ones that take you to eBay but not to what you were actually on your way to see. Like the letter says I to have found my items in google search only to follow the link to eBay to see similar items you might like. eBay are a becoming a cowboy company.

On another note perhaps google are about to start up a competitor, could be why they're demoting eBay from search.

by: wallflower This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 08:38:21 2014

Moom, etsy does the same thing on google image searches. I now exclude etsy when I do those searches.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri Jun 6 21:04:22 2014

''Where do I find said account number?''

Your eBay ID (ACCOUNT) # appears on your eBay fee invoices.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 7 01:20:57 2014

How many times have you gone to ebay to SEARCH for something only to be told there is NO SUCH ITEM or a weird and completely irrelevant series of things pop up?

Then when you go to Google to find out who DOES sell the item---links TO ebay listings come up---sometimes in the HUNDREDS for the EXACT item and terms you used ON EBAY?

Sometimes I wonder that the HO et all don't choke on their own tongues.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sat Jun 7 13:38:09 2014

''A couple of days ago, eBay chief John Donahoe championed bitcoin on CNBC's 'Squawk Box'.  The CEO sees bitcoin playing an integral role in the future of online payments.''

Donahole hunkers in the bunker with no pronouncements/apologies about getting the britches hacked off him but beats his gums throwing up an irrelevant smoke screen about embracing a dubious payment scheme like Bitcoin.

Donahole is a very wrong individual.