Tue June 3 2014 18:57:28

Shopper Banned from Etsy Due to Daughter's Outstanding Bill

By: Reader

I'll try to be brief but I need to give you a little background so you and others can understand. I read your column for the first time tonight. I am at a friend's house and they showed it to me and suggested I write to you about this problem. I am a 65 year old male and have never looked into the online auction business, therefore I had never seen your posts.

I was looking up something on Google one day and there was an advertisement for Etsy. Since I had nothing else pressing that day I went to Etsy to look around. I found a gorgeous piece of jewelry my wife would love so I opened an account. I was away from the computer for about 10 minutes to look if my wife may have already had this piece. She didn't so I came back and tried to purchase it. I received a nice little pop up saying my account had been blocked! WHAT! I just opened it!

I emailed Etsy to ask what was going on. They wrote that it was a mistake and everything was cleared up now. I went back and purchased the item.

Two days later I went back to look around again, I was hooked on online selling by now. I found another great piece of jewelry and went to buy it for her. Lo and behold I got the same message that my account was blocked! I again emailed Etsy. This time they came back and said more research had been done on my account and they found I owed them money.

This could go on forever but I will try and keep it as short as I can. They gave me the name of the person that owed them and it was the same last name, different first name. It was my oldest daughter's name! She had lived with us for almost a year and had pulled some other kinds of sneaky stuff, in fact we don't even know where she is right now. Evidently she had used Etsy with our computer and owed them money. I explained all of that to Etsy, not my account etc.

They basically told me "TOUGH STUFF" your account will remain blocked until you pay the funds owed. Gave me her user name and told me to go to her account and pay her bill!

Why am I responsible for her bill and furthermore I don't know her password so how can I go to her account and pay? I got rather excited about getting to an online site and being able to buy things. My excitement was short lived though. If all online selling venues are like Etsy I have NO desire to join. This entire thing was embarrassing and wrong!

Thank you for reading this entire mess, it helped to tell someone. Thanks to my friend who took me to your site and is letting me use his computer to vent.

Kind Regards,
No Fool Like An Old Fool

Shopper Banned from Etsy Due to Daughter's Outstan   Shopper Banned from Etsy Due to Daughter's Outstan

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jun 3 22:56:10 2014

The first question I would ask of the OP is: How much money is owed? If it's not that much, I say pay it and get your account reinstated. However, I don't think that Etsy can legally force you to pay the bill of your, I'm assuming, adult daughter. You might want to do some online research to get legal opinions on this issue, and then contact Etsy and demand to be reinstated. My go-to threat for everything is a consumer complaint to the Attorney General, and Etsy's legal department is in New York.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Jun 4 01:41:06 2014

In the world of online indebtedness, IP numbers are delinquent regardless of who used them.

That's because the penny pinching idiots who run the 3P e commerce world are incapable of training their employees to make rationale decisions.

Don't get hooked on ebay!!

Ebay band entire apartment buildings that share the same street address if so much as one person who may or may not still be living in one of the apartments has annoyed ebay.

The turnover in Silicon Valley must be astounding. None of these internet companies seem to have any institutional memory whatever and keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over again.

by: JackieBlue This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 11:12:48 2014

This is a fraud issue.  I would not send an order to the same address no matter who they said it was.  The OP has a reasonable option of creating a new account with a UPS store address or clearing it up.   I sympathize with the OP as I have son who is a substance abuser and has stolen from us, but that is not anyone's problem but my own.  I have to actually applaud etsy for this as they are protecting their merchants.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 4 14:47:18 2014

I side with etsy. Somebody in the same household, likely using the same computer / internet connection is a thief !  OP enabled this behavior , so shares the blame.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Wed Jun 4 14:48:42 2014

''And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name.…

Revelations 13:16

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 03:04:25 2014

Personally, I believe this needs to be more aggressively pursued at Etsy.

Its one thing to "claim" it is because she used your computer. But you can register and buy on Etsy at any internet cafe computer, Ipad, etc.

It is my belief that the issue is much broader involving possibly fraudulently used credit cards and other pertinent personal information.

The issue can not be corrected on a public forum - it has to be pursued at Etsy.

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 05:31:00 2014

What I don't exactly "get" about this entire dilemma is how a buyer can 'OWE MONEY' on Etsy.

If a given sale is not paid for, it's a simple enough procedure to cancel out that particular sale, and relist the item.

Etsy sellers have full control over how and when they ship out their merchandise, so I'm not totally getting how this could have even occurred in the first place.

It would also help greatly if these cyber companies would NOT put all of their eggs within emails, and what gets gleened form cyber space. People within these companies  NEED to learn that there are areas where person to person interactions is the only way to fly.

You "could" poke around the site and find out how to call customer service. I believe that a request has to be placed, and then someone will call you. If you do this, try doing "STAR 69", as soon as the call is ended to try to get the actual phone number that called YOU.. This way you can call them back directly to help create documentation for yourself.

IF your daughter has pulled stunts like this that has impacted your credit or monies you need to do whatever you need to do to protect YOUR ASSETS. If a well runs dry, "users" just move on and hunt out the next MARK.

by: fgilles02420 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 05:52:04 2014

Your daughter must be repeatedly making purchases from sellers who have "other" checked as payment; then not sending any money. She was reported to Etsy and now her account is banned.

Etsy now sees a new account at the same household trying to buy. They have blocked this account as a possible scam by the original account holder to continue buying.

It stinks for you, but I'm glad Etsy has actually stepped up and banned a bad buyer. Create a new account using a PO box if you want to buy on Etsy. Your problem is with your daughter, not the online venue.

by: MRV This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 06:22:57 2014

Is it possible, that your daughter was a seller and has an outstanding unpaid bill?

Since this would be the only way that she would technically owe money.

You can request a call by going to www.etsy.com/help/contact and clicking on the call back link.

Good luck.  I hope it all gets sorted out soon.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 5 13:44:25 2014

Pay the bill and move on. I tend to think that a person is responsible for guests in their home.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jun 7 01:34:01 2014

@TIFFEE JASSO--

If some one --an adult--in your house as a guest or a resident pulls out a gun and shoots someone--it's NOT your gun and you were not involved in any way--you are NOT responsible for their actions.

Just as this OP is NOT responsible for debts incurred by ANYONE except themselves. If this WAS the case many many of us would be jailed for failing to pay for millions of dollars of debt  that others we are related to or know did not-- for whatever reason---pay.

The OP should follow up on this and find out WHO it is the daughter actually does OWE but from my very limited dealings with ETSY you pay the SELLER directly you don't run a tab.

That said---I find ETSY to be extremely HOSTILE to buyers who DARE TO QUESTION THEIR SELLERS--EXACT opposite OF EBAY!!!!

This sounds good n all but when you are on the receiving end of their weirdness then you will long for a little bit of ebays "Buyer Protection"--you will NOT be protected from bad sellers on ETSY!