Mon May 26 2014 13:57:51

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

By: Reader

I wonder if you've ever heard of buyers being unable to leave feedback. I received a nice message from a buyer on April 30 letting me know that she loved the item she purchased:

"Dear (user name),
For some reason, the option to leave feedback on this purchase was not offered at purchase history. So, I am using this method to let you know the bag arrived today. I am so pleased- it is so nice- just the right size and style for me. I appreciate the fact that you had wrapped ti so well. I'll be changing to this bag today, and know I will get many years of pleasurable use. A 5 star review!!!
Thank you again. Hope you have a great, safe summer."

I didn't think much of it at the time, but since then I've received a far lower ratio of feedback to sales than is normal. Though I ship multiple items every day, days go by without receiving any feedback.

I have contacted this buyer to see if she can offer me any details before I contact eBay (though I know how futile that will be).
Sincerely,
Judith

P.S.  Thanks for your wonderful reporting and site - it really makes me feel like a part of something larger, rabbiting away as I am in a corner of the Pacific Northwest!

Hi Ina:
A follow up to my message: I talked to an eBay feedback specialist just now. She acknowledged that there is a technical issue with the feedback system that started May 3rd. It is being worked on with an estimated time frame of 90 days for a fix! I list on eBay.ca and asked her if it was a localized problem. She said she thought it was global.

I quickly looked through my last 30 transactions and only two have received feedback - a much lower number than normal.

eBay only suggests that I contact my buyers and ask them to contact eBay who will step them through a workaround so they can leave feedback. Obviously, no buyer is going to go to that trouble.

Can you put this out there to see who else is having this issue?
Best regards,
Judith

Note from the Editor: We asked eBay if they were aware of any such issue described on the Ecommerce EKG board, and after providing additional information, we have not received an answer.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon May 26 14:39:54 2014

I experienced something similar a few weeks ago. I bought an item from a seller with over 10K in positive feedback. I went to leave feedback, but that option wasn't available through the Summary page. I went to the page for the item I bought and after the seller's ID was "no longer a registered user." That seemed strange to me since the day I bought from him he had a plethora of listings. The next day, the Leave Feedback option was working again for the seller. I wonder if this is one of eBay's famous glitches in action.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 26 14:53:41 2014

As soon as enough UNHAPPY buyers complain that they can't leave NEGATIVE feedback, eBay will promptly fix it.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 15:05:54 2014

Good Grief!

It just keeps getting worse!  Does anything work right on Ebay anymore?

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon May 26 20:41:35 2014

How interesting....

eBay is retroactively applying their new defect policy which will result in many otherwise great sellers being hit with "defects" based on old transactions being hit with new metrics.

As we all know, eBay has admitted the goal of the defect transaction program is to cull the number of sellers who currently earn the 20% TRS discount while at the same time, reducing the numbers of users who might soon qualify.

The timing of this bug and the claim it will take 90 days to fix is abhorrently questionable.

Now, with this feedback bug, effected sellers will be unable to receive enough positive feedback which would water down any old transactions which are now defects.

If you ask me, this is not a bug, but rather, a management designed glitch which has been installed so that the new defect transaction process is assured to boot sellers who would continue to qualify if the bug did not exist.

Management's desperation just became more transparent for all to see.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBoy

Mon May 26 21:15:13 2014

I once had a buyer who also said she was unable to leave feedback.  It turned out that she had made a purchase as a "guest".  I'm not quite sure how one would go about doing that, but perhaps that could account for at least some of your missing feedback?

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 21:24:36 2014

I've received very positive written feedback from buyers in the past month (they've even sent me an email to tell me they would be leaving positive feedback) but the DSR numbers haven't changed.  How curious.

On top of that, the pop-up dashboard screen showing how I would be rated as a TRS come August shows that I didn't upload tracking on one package but when I click out of that page and look at the detail page, it shows I uploaded for all transactions during the same period of time (which I know I did).

The upshot to me:  none of these DSRs or other possible "defect" criteria is accurate right now for some reason.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 22:20:42 2014

HI - I also list on .ca and have noticed much less f/b received in the last few weeks. All my US & Canadian packages from April have been delivered and most of May's as well but my regular percentage of FB has not been posted.

I never get any from international customers because delivery times are longer than 45 days so those customers can't participate in the process. This absolutely infuriates me since having FB from those buyers would show potential overseas buyers that they can feel confident purchasing from me.

I agree that regardless of the cause of this "glitch", ebay has no incentive to fix it quickly or at all.  Plays into the scheme to downgrade TRS, drive away really small sellers......silence the noise.

THE COMBINATION OF THIS INCOMPETENCE OR DELIBERATE manipulation of FB along with the hack we were not informed of in a timely manner is corporate malfeasance at the least.

I have a bunch of auctions running now - last batch all closed with no bids last week and current bunch have fewer looks that I would normally expect and no bidders. How wonderful of ebay to allow me to cancel them...pay the listing fees on this months bill and then not get credit for another month.  Must not have anyone on IT staff who can figure out how to code an immediate credit of fee when the listing is cancelled.

call me SICK AND TIRED, FRUSTRATED AND DISGUSTED.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: ruthie This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 22:32:45 2014

@eBoy ...Yes, you can buy as a ''guest'' on ebay (and pay as a guest using PP) without registering. Here's ebay's ''faq'' on it ... http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/buying-as-guest.html

If you want to post FB you have to register.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBoy

Mon May 26 22:37:41 2014

Thanks ruthie!

This user has validated their user name. by: eBoy

Mon May 26 22:52:40 2014

(Ric)

Aw, c'mon Ric!  eBay is getting a VERY big black eye in the various media over this, and even Donahopeless would easily have known this after seeing what Target went through recently.  And, don't forget the millions of dollars in lost revenue from 1/3 less traffic eBay, and we, have suffered - just like what Target is STILL going through!

Conspiracy theories abound.  Donahoe isn't a dope, but he's definitely not an evil genius as you seem to suggest.  I suppose Donahoe masterminded the 1969 Hollywood directed make-believe Apollo moon landing, too - right?!  Geez!

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 23:01:50 2014

Knowing how eBay operates these days, if a "happy" buyer did contact them about not being able to leave feedback, ebay would somehow convince them they were wrong to be happy and talk them into leaving a negative instead. Count your blessings that no "happy" buyer would call.

This user has validated their user name. by: eBoy

Mon May 26 23:14:27 2014

(Cloud)

God!!!  You're crazy, too?!?!

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 23:56:01 2014

Nope, not crazy, just a realist. Ebay is now forcing buyers that just want to ask a question to open cases. Just about every case I see starts with..."I didn't want to open a case but I couldn't get in contact with you any other way." This is no conspiracy theory, its fact. How much of a stretch is it then to have them talk our happy buyers into unhappy ones. They're already doing it, its just another avenue. The crazy one is the one coming up with all this crap over at eBay and the stockholders that pay his muti-million dollar salary.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 27 00:12:57 2014

If the Ho is NOT the one personaly coming up with this crap then SOMEONE is and he IS the Boss of Them.

HE has made his face--that smug-wanna-slap-the-shnikees-offa-it face--the PUBLIC FACE of ebay.

Therefore since this happened on HIS WATCH he DESERVES to pay the piper for it.

Just like the Target guy and the Credit Suisse guy and the Madof guy and---I could go on.

I firmly believe in the "conspiracy theory" afloat here tho--that sellers are being targeted--sorry couldn't resist---for extermination in August and that this is ALL part of the plan.

I too have had ZERO sales and less watchers and looks and the watchers I DID have went POOF right about the time the hack was disclosed.  I am SURE that no buyers went back into ebay and UNWATCHED my items!

I also had a problem with NOT being notified by ebay that a BEST OFFER I had made was ACCEPTED--not only did this make ME look bad--I had a BAD BUYER EXPERIENCE!!!!!---but I felt BAD for the SELLER as he would be rated possibly defective for me failing to KNOW I had won.  I don't know HOW but I am sure this will bite him.

Typical day at ebay--must be something in the water out there.  Oh wait--I have rellies who live a minute or so away from HQ and THEY seem perfectly fine----

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 27 01:21:15 2014

While I know for some they will stress out over this problem.  Both buyers and sellers.  Buyers because in some cases they can't leave FB and sellers because they aren't receiving their FB.

For me, as a seller, I see it as a blessing.  A little bit of breathing room.  No stress on what a buyer might do to the DSRs.  I'm not concerned about neg or neutral FB as that is a rarity for me.  And really so are low DSRs.  But if a buyer can't leave FB, then there is no risk to me at all.  I like that.

As a seller, I would never dream of reminding my buyer to leave FB.  That to me is inviting trouble.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 27 01:37:46 2014

Feedback is a joke. As a seller I have been unable to leave feedback for at least a year. Here is the error I get:
''Sorry, we encountered a problem. Please see the details below.
Input Error
We did not successfully receive all the required information from the page. Please go back and ensure that all the fields are filled in.''

Same error as always. I have filled in the comment field and checked the positive button. There is nothing else to fill in. I'm not about to try to get help from eBay. It's not worth the hassle. Maybe it's a Safari issue...I don't care anymore.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 27 01:39:51 2014

@alaska

On Ebay??  I've had that problem a few times, but it always corrects within 24 hrs or so.  For me it doesn't happen often at all but has happened.  This has got to be very frustrating for you and moreso for your buyers.  Hopefully they are not hurting your FB because of it.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 27 01:57:40 2014

One glitch I wish would STICK.  They have PLENTY of ways to measure our merit as a seller. Trying to keep up with it all makes your head spin.  It had its purpose back in the early days of ebay...but NOW???There's no real need.  Buyers have buyer protection.  Plus they can leave "stars".  And sellers are rated by their stars AND defects (open cases, etc).  Feedback is SOOOOOO outdated.

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 27 08:59:20 2014

90 days to correct a problem??
Especially the feedback which is so critical for the survival of many sellers.
The games that large corporations play.  At least most of them do it discretely.
ebay just does whatever they want in and basically say - screw you - it's in the fine print. We don't have to show your listings, you cannot sue us, if USPS screws up- seller fault, buyer has to have the product when we (ebay) states, not the USPS, fedex, even God, what ebay states only or you are on the way out.etc etc etc...

eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback   eBay Buyer Unable to Leave Feedback

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 27 09:13:11 2014

@eboy

Not sure why you don't think Ric and the others are correct in their assumptions. Ebay has been systematically tearing down their great company brick by brick. Not sure why, unless all they really want is a way to launder money through the system for the mob--now THAT is a conspiracy theory! I left ebay years ago and have only sold one thing there since. Currently, since I'm still 'active' on ebay, I have been trying to change my PW. No can do. I don't have a cell phone to take texts, talking on the phone is difficult for me and I really don't want some CSR from overseas knowing my PW, and the other option just leads to a page that is no help whatsoever. Why in the world ebay felt that it had to change it's PW change system to deal with this is beyond me! Like everything ebay does, there is no brains behind it.

As to buyers not being able to leave FB, I too think that would be a good thing for many of the sellers that still have 100% positive FB. Having a new system coming in that will look-back at FB, could obviously be very problematic for many sellers though.