Wed May 21 2014 15:08:09

What Happened to eBay Free Listing Promotions?

By: Reader

I love your site, I read every day. Just have quick question.

Has eBay reduced their promotions for free listing or changed the sellers they give it to, I'm not talking about the 50 we receive each month, but the ones that let us list for free in large amounts of listing.

I used to get one every month but haven't gotten one since March and its really hurting me.
Thanks,
Castiel

What Happened to eBay Free Listing Promotions?   What Happened to eBay Free Listing Promotions?

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 21 17:42:57 2014

I was thinking the same thing and when I checked my account on Monday, there was the offer for 7000 free listings, that expired that night!  I didn't receive an email about it either.  So now I'm going to have to check that page every week just in case.

by: LAbay This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 22 13:11:30 2014

They will send out another promotion when they want more inventory on the site.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 22 19:06:55 2014

"FREE" ?????? The only thing that eBay gives away for "free" is its users data!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu May 22 19:10:20 2014

Just like their coupons and their 20% Final Value Fee discounts, eBay management has painted the company into such a financial corner they can no longer afford them.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 22 21:58:02 2014

I think Ric is right. All of the fooling around and search algorithms nonsense has come back to bit them in the butt! Why not just an honest search, everyone included, and Ending Soonest the default results. Gives everyone a chance on that item that is about to expire.

by: 2l82w8 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 22 22:40:16 2014

The Free Listings continue; maybe the recipient list has changed.  I have several thousand auctions up right now under a free listing promotion ebay ran for new listings posted through Monday.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 22 23:56:33 2014

Not all promos ebay runs are open to all--some are only open to "select" sellers and no one knows who that might be--

There is a "new" and "different" set of "Free" listings going on tho--this gives you 100 "Free"--or maybe NOT---listings but only in certain categories.  I noticed to day that this WAS being deducted altho I have not gotten charged for anything I listed--albeit in only a few categories that I don't THINK are the Pay to Play ones.

I do suspect that this is another Junior MBA tactic made up over late night pizza and beer--lots of beah---to confuse and undermine sellers who merely want to LIST and SELL.

ALtho I like the idea of FREE I was happily paying the few cents it took to LIST way back when the things--the SAME things--I was listing were actually SELLING.  Now I would no sooner pay to list than throw my dog under a train.

What I list is way down and what sells ditto.  I am listing the sort of things that "In this economy" SHOULD sell.  When I have to stand in a shop and think--Should I INVEST $6 in a high end name brand winter jacket (and have to store it) on the OFF CHANCE that it MIGHT sell in the Fall--well this is sad.  A few years ago I would have snatched that baby up in a heartbeat.   And it would have sold on the FIRST listing period if not the first DAY.  Today?  Don't feel I can RISK it.

Where did ebay chase all those lovely buyers off to???

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 23 02:38:44 2014

HOnestly I wish ebay would do away with the free listings altogether.  It would certainly get rid off a lot of "junk" listings that people would NEVER pay to list.
When people are paying for their listings, they tend to put a lot more effort and thought into it.  That's just basic human nature.
If you only list an item every so often, paying for it shouldn't bother you.
And if you're one of those sellers who sits out there and WAITS for just the "free" listings to throw up a whole bunch of listings then you shouldn't mind just paying the monthly fee for a basic store.

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 23 07:09:26 2014

PFFT:

I WAS one of those sellers who only listed when there were free listings. Why??? Because there was no guarantee that anything would sell and why should I give Feebay MORE money to pay for listings!!!!

My listings were VERY thorough and I put a lot (maybe too much) effort into them. I wasn't one of these "nice top, worn once" sellers!!! I gave MEASUREMENTS and DESCRIPTIONS!!!

Given the final value fee the idiots charge - including the FVF on shipping charges - I paid them enough in fees!!!!

You said "shouldn't mind just paying the monthly fee for a basic store"??? Again, no guarantee that anything is going to sell, with all the crap Feebay is pulling they are losing customers (buyers & sellers both) and I'm sure others feel the same way - YES, WE WOULD MIND PAYING FOR A BASIC STORE!!!!!

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 23 08:52:05 2014

Free listings has nothing to do with traffic, fees or anything else similar to that.

Free listings are given out to offset the language in the TOS that granted eBay the "rights" to not show your listings when THEY deem it neccesary.

To charge people for a service and NOT go through on your end of the deal is fraud (something eBay knows well about since its a daily occurance).

On Amazon, you may not get the buy box, you may never make a sale but your listing is ALWAYS there.

The last TOS change gave eBay the right to hide your listing(s).

Well, from a legal standpoint ... what should eBay do to offset that issue? True their army of lawyers (back of the matchbook types) could take the issue on in court - but why ask for yet another black eye? People (sellers, buyers, manufactorers - lets face it EVERYBODY) hates eBay - so why add insult to injury.

Answer: offer people free listings. If the listings are free then theres no fraud. You cant sue for not being shown, if you arent charged for it. The TOS was again simply ammended to say that the lisings will get shown when deemed nessecary.

Problem Solved. You offer a bunch of free listings that no one will ever see (no sales come from them), that offsets the legal issue(s) and every one is happy.

eBay has plenty of servers to hold he free listings that point (get shown) nowhere.

Im sure JD bought the guy that though that one up a new Gulfstream (with my fvfs Im sure).

Everything in eBay is a con or a dodge. The "mafia" is more honest and legal then eBay is.

The ONLY difference is most cases is that JD doesnt come to your house and have Ryan Moore hold you down while he breaks your legs.

They just burn down your business "electronicly".

Shame on you eBay... again

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Fri May 23 13:59:46 2014

I agree with pace306, “free” listing are most likely eBay’s way of avoiding what would otherwise be a contractual obligation for them to supply a service; if no consideration is paid, there is no enforceable contract. Having said that, “free” listings could also be an indication that the eBay marketplace is in trouble and is continuing to atrophy; otherwise, there is no way Johnny Ho would give anyone anything for “free”—not even his mother—unless there is ultimately some benefit in it for him …

eBay Inc, where the incompetent mingle with the malevolent and the criminal ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: hogwarth This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 23 17:26:21 2014

i think all the knights while sitting around the ebay round table and popping geritol and drinking ensure, tried to figure out how to snatch more money from the robin hood sellers, the first knight stated, let create this defect system so many sellers lose their top rated status and we get more money by taking their discount, the 12 knight yelled bazinga and raised their swords, the second knight stated lets take away the free promotions for free listings so more sellers buy our stores and pay taxes for listing items, they all raised their swords in agreement. they all stood in unison and off to pillage the sellers of their hard earned money

by: BargainzBabylon This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 24 02:44:56 2014

Hopefully the free listing sales are gone for good, or at least back to the twice a year scheme they used to have. The site just gets flooded with junk - as a buyer I'd just give up trying to shop.

There has never been any *guarantee* that anything would sell.  Never.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 25 01:57:22 2014

There are certain categories where you need to have thousands of listings running at one time. I sell postcards, and that is definitely one of those categories. Buyers want a certain place they remember, and I need to have that postcard available to them when they suddenly want it.

I put a lot of effort into my listings, and who can say what is ''junk''?  Sometimes I sell the most beat-up old postcards, because that is the view the Buyer remembers and wants.

So, those people who say there is too much ''junk'' on Ebay, are just referring to listings they, themselves are not interested in.

Ebay's Buyers and Sellers are not a one-size-fits-all. Sellers have different business models (what works for them), and Buyers certainly have different interests.

The free listings are absolutely necessary for someone in my type of business, whether it be postcards, stamps, books, advertisements out of old magazines, or back issues of magazines.

If you are listing one of a kind items, then large amounts of listings are not vital to your business.

There is no way I can afford to pay for listing over 5000 postcards. Ebay and PayPal certainly get me on the back end, with all the fees. And, they make it difficult to combine items for less expensive shipping.

Please don't keep saying how if Sellers have to pay for all their listings, then they will list higher quality items. It simply does not work for some categories.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Sun May 25 02:11:26 2014

Yes absolutely! I have not paid eBay to list an item for over 2 years now. If I have to pay I will not list. They make too much money as it is. I do not list so called junk and I still have my TRS and am a power seller.
As I have said before any one who pays to list on eBay is an idiot. There are many more places to list an item including your own web site which if you have any semblance of SEO you should have no problem. especially since eBay has no idea of how to do proper SEO at all.

by: valerie This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 12 14:10:44 2014

Will you guys tell me what other sites offer free listings?  I would like to list new and used clothing, any names would be appreciated.