Mon May 19 2014 11:54:25

eBay's Unrealistic Delivery Dates a Source of Tension

By: Reader

Hi Ina,
What a rotten last 3 days! Shipped 2 packages on Saturday, handed them to the clerk who had the scanner in his hand, I left and he still didn't scan them! I guess we all have to stand there and watch and listen for the scanner to beep!

Anyway the packages showed up as being shipped on Monday (not dropped off but as if they were brought to the PO on Monday). I did go to the post office on Monday to ask about the packages and where they were. I was told there was a temp guy on Sat and he made a mess of everything at that station. OK, so I can deal with that, hopefully my buyers can!

But now have another package that says it was to be delivered today. This one shipped last Friday, Priority Mail. I have a buyer who says "if it doesn't show up by tomorrow she is going to the resolution center." I asked her to wait a day or 2 since the delivery dates are not guaranteed by the post office but because (get this) the POST OFFICE said it was to be delivered today (no estimate but an absolute date!).

I went thru some of my other eBay listings and on some there is the delivery date is based on BUSINESS DAYS and others just say btw this day and that day and others say "This day", nothing consistent and all my listings say parcel post, 1 day handling. No other options.

If eBay knew how many buyers they were disappointing with an "absolute" delivery day when even the post office does not do that, I am sure they would change that wording in a hurry. I am hoping that I don't end up with 3 defects simply because of wording and buyers expectations are being set to high by eBay themselves, not the sellers but by eBay.

Maybe I'll go back to UPS after all...
Linda

eBay's Unrealistic Delivery Dates a Source of Tens   eBay's Unrealistic Delivery Dates a Source of Tens

by: Donkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 12:52:12 2014

I feel your pain Linda.
Had a similar occurrence several weeks ago.
Yes they will count as defects against you.  Ebay's delivery estimates are not based in reality.
I have had to switch all of my handling times to five days in order to avoid getting destroyed and thrown off ebay because of item not received claims.
It is very frustrating and wonder if it still worth it.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 13:05:06 2014

We had the same problem.

Although we aren't in the carrot jumper league we have changed all handling times to five days....

We now get great raves because the package was a day or two early....

Ebay likes to think they are Santa Claus to the buyers but the buyers soon find out its all a lie.

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 14:24:10 2014

Another debacle in the makings...Someone please organize the sellers and lets demand the firing of the seller development team...

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 16:41:24 2014

"seller development team" should be called what it really is which is Seller DESTRUCTIVE team.

Again, it really does not matte what it is, ebay ALWAYS makes it WORSE!

everything ebays says is a complete LIE, everything they do is full of glitches and causes severe harm to their sellers and is a total failure and everything they hear goes in one ear and out the other.

ebay could not figure it's way out of a thin wet paper bag.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 19 17:26:12 2014

I read the OP's letter and all those horrid memories of eBay come rushing back.

Setting unrealistic customer expectations, using imprecise tracking stats, flawed interpretation of what ''business day'' actually means, punishing sellers for things that are demonstrably out of the seller's control... what a MESS!

Little wonder that eBay is having trouble attracting competent sellers.

Plus... with all these grandiose (albeit unrealistic) promises that eBay makes to buyers (on the seller's behalf) it's also little wonder that buyers are increasingly discontent with their eBay experience.

Of course, the culmination of all this leads to punitive actions being taken against sellers (lowered search standings, no discounts... and even losing their ability to sell at all) when buyers express their displeasure AT the seller, instead of where it truly belongs: with eBay's incompetence.

I'd rather live in that cockroach infested house that was featured on TLC's ''Hoarders: Buried Alive'' than to EVER sell on eBay!!! (And I'm a pretty tidy person, so that should tell you something right there!) :-)

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 19:10:04 2014

Why would anyone who is in a hurry buy mail order?  Or online?  It's ridiculous.

If you need it fast do us all a favor and go buy locally.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon May 19 22:06:24 2014

Ebay goes off what USPS tells them the carrier time is on the different methods of shipping with them.  That is where Ebay gets the dates from.  It is USPS that is being unrealistic.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for Ebay as I personally think they could do a far better job with this.

Some things I do to minimize some of these issues is that even though I may ship PM, I don't put that on the listing.  I use Standard shipping.  Then the ETA seems to be more accurate.  4 to 5 days.  This has served me well.  The buyer usually gets their stuff much quicker than they expected.  So that is always a good thing.

As for the Saturday / Monday stuff.  That should not have hurt you.  Ebay doesn't include Saturday as a shipping day in its ETAs.  Just Monday through Friday.  Got to watch out for Holidays, they sometimes screw that up and it can cause problems.

On an INR claim.  You should be OK too.  While certainly a problem having to deal with the claim and the upset buyer, you should win the claim.  You need to stay on top of them however.  Just be polite, let your buyer know what the tracking status shows and that it should be there within whatever amount of time you deem is appropriate.  Once it arrives, the INR can be closed without having any negative affect on your account.  And hopefully your buyer is happy as well.

Those potential defects are very concerning and many of us are quite concerned about how this new policy is going to play out.  One thing to keep in mind that on delivery time it is only a DSR of 1 [not a 2 any more] that will count against you.

It is a mess and it is very hard to deal with.  So much is not within our control, but remains our responsibility to take care of.

Do try to make sure that none of your listings show PM as your shipping.  That will really help you.  Standard shipping of FCP works better.  Then ship PM if that is what you like to do and all should be well or at least you will have less problems.

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 22:19:21 2014

I No longer sell on eBay, but on my other venues I choose "5-7 days" handling time ... I usually ship within a day of purchase.
Customers are pleasantly surprised when item arrives early, and the "5-7 days handling" weeds out the gotta-have-it now's... Problem solved.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon May 19 22:39:12 2014

@Linda - When I take packages to the post office, I never leave until I get an acceptance receipt from the postal clerk. That's the only way I can be sure that my packages will get "into the system" and my customers can track their items.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon May 19 23:33:59 2014

I also always get a receipt for the items I drop off at the PO. I have been doing that for years and have never had a problem. That is the only way to do it.

by: Denise This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 06:55:04 2014

@Marie- Winning INR claim no lonegr matters- as soon as a buyer clicks that they are asking about INR it is a Defect. Ebay estimated 3-5 days delivery times on my items and they had 2 day handling stated, they give buyers exact dates. Emails from buyers absolutely count against you now. I had 2 in the last month, both were upset that the items werent delivered on the "due date". Yep- East to West Coast, and they expect it to be there in 3 days. I cant get the PO to deliver priority mail 3 states away in 3 days. I will be doing a bulk update stating 5 days handling, even though I usually ship within 24 hours.

This user has validated their user name. by: Vintage Touch

Tue May 20 07:00:55 2014

I think the response I read from Jeff from ebay about choosing another shipper was rude & obnoxious.  It is shocking to me that people at ebay communicate with sellers this way, when sellers are trying hard to do things right.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:09:46 2014

Ina:
We so so need a thumbs up button on these posts so we can acknowledge the posts that we agree with.

As for eBay shipping policies and "Defect Rate". The only "defect" at eBay is the flawed policies at eBay.

Again, why do people sell on eBay at all?

by: sell it This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:24:08 2014

@ Marie, you must not sell  much on Ebay because everything you have said is incorrect. 1) Ebay does NOT go by what the USPS says are estimated days. 2)If you do not use at least 4 days handling time, Ebay does give a very incorrect delivery estimate because they completely ignore your stated handling time, they only go by your past history so if you have shipped out earlier than stated in the past, you get an unrealistic delivery date.

Those dates do also count weekends as business days. When I had a 3 day handling time, I've had packages show a delivery date before my 3 day handling time had even expired. Had a buyer inquired about their package, I would have suffered a defect. Marie you seem to not be up to date on the new changes. If a buyer files an INR claim and the package does not arrive within 24 hours of that date, you lose the case and receive a defect even if that date is unrealistic. Ebay just tells you that you should have chosen a different reliable shipper. Yes, they actually said that.

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:48:26 2014

DENISE: Good idea changing your handling time to 5 days. I did that before I quit selling. But good luck - BUYERS DON'T READ!!!!!! They'll open a case against you in a heartbeat!!!!! Then call Feebay and HOPE they remove the defect rate!!!

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:50:45 2014

MARIE - yes, a DSR of 1 WILL count against you!!!! They are counting a DSR as high as 3 against sellers!!!!

by: 2l82w8 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:55:56 2014

I ship from Hawaii and have found that eBay's new delivery estimates are just plain wrong.  Early last month, I had THREE Resolution Center inquires over packages not received by the date eBay projected.  These were the first such inquiries in months.  Turns out eBay changed its calculations for shipping time from Hawaii.  All three packages arrived within a couple of days (and would have arrived on schedule under eBay's old calculations) and my customers are happy.  But I have three new dings on my defect rate.

I called eBay and got a very pleasant run around and promise to send my problem up the chain.  I've heard that before.

My work around is to increase the number of days for handling from 1 to 3.  I still ship in one day, but by promisingly only three day shipping, I add two days back to eBay's delivery estimates, making them accurate again.  And I explain this to buyers on every listing.

Since then, no more "late" deliveries and from the feedback, my buyers don't seem to mind.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:56:47 2014

@Marie-I agree with the information that you posted but did have a couple questions.
One is that you state that you ship standard, I have used economy because I thought it bought me more time, but found in fact it didn't. Upon calling eBay I was told that they base it upon my previous shipping times and that will not change. So even though I state economy shipping which I thought would be the longest period of time, eBay puts 2-4 days on all my estimated deliveries. Does standard shipping buy you more time?
On another note, if we change our handling times to more than one day, don't we lose our discount, TSR, and aren't we dropped in search?
Thanks!

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:57:39 2014

LINDA the OP said:

"If eBay knew how many buyers they were disappointing with an "absolute" delivery day..................I am sure they would change that wording in a hurry".

LINDA, they don't care!!!! They don't care if you get a defect rating because the post office was slow in handling your item!!!!

Feebay isn't going to change ANYTHING or ANY WORDING that is to the seller's benefit. They'd sooner get rid of sellers and will be doing more of it when the defect rate goes into full swing.

Sorry you had such a horrible experience and the BS about the "temp" at the p.o. is just that...........BS!!!!! If that person is a postal "temp", he has worked in other post offices and knows what has to be done!!!!

Do yourself a favor and get off of Feebay before you really get burned!!!!

I quit and took my stuff to a consignment shop, and have much more to take. What a relief - NO MORE TENSION!!!!

by: karb13 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 20 07:58:42 2014

The estimated delivery has some basis in the buyers location because for items that I have sold, the Est. Del. was 3 days for someones address that was closer than another with an est. del of 5 days. However, when the person is very close - The fast and free estimate actually provides an ''on or before'' date. At least for my listings, the est. del. times provided do not appear random.