Thu May 15 2014 09:58:55

eBay Makes Seller Guess Why It Removed His Listing

By: Reader

Just ran into a unique(?) issue. Last evening I received the MCC EBay policy violation alert" and an item removed:

"MC999 eBay policy violation alert"

>>>
To ensure sellers consistently provide a high level of buyer satisfaction, we monitor the site for listings that are likely to result in eBay Money Back Guarantee cases. When we review these types of listings, we look at criteria such as a listing's images, the accuracy of the title and description, and other factors that may lead a buyer to be unhappy with their purchase.

Unfortunately, the item mentioned further below met these criteria and has been ended. We took this action to help you avoid a negative buyer experience that could affect your account standing.

While these items are no longer available for buyers to purchase, they can be found in the "Unsold" folder in your My eBay. If your listing was multi-quantity with successful buyers, the item will be in the "Sold" folder instead.

Please review your listings for areas that can be improved. For example, make sure your listings have:
-a clear description
-great photos
-an accurate title

If the issue can't be fixed (item is out of stock, etc.), please don't relist the item.

For more information about best practices for selling, go to: (link)
<<<

Not having any CLUE what the problem may have been (due to the "canned respnse e-mail) I called eBay and had gotten transferred to the "listings department" where they seem to have had no idea why it was taken down as well. They "suggested" that I might need to expand on my description (my item is a very common single manufacturer item, one color, one model number, one use only item). He suggested that I look at similar items and expand on the description as mine appeared to "be a little short".

I was not aware that eBay policy now dictates a length requirement for any listings description....he could not answer my question as to what was considered too short...he just kept suggesting to look at other similar listings.

He could not refer me to any documentation where it explains any of this.

I relisted my item after lengthening my description a bit with generalities and techno-babble for lack of anything else I could add of any value to the already adequate description.

This is the very first time I have ever received a listing violation for ANY reason and am now wondering if this is going to be a new trend.
Regards,
Alan

eBay Makes Seller Guess Why It Removed His Listing   eBay Makes Seller Guess Why It Removed His Listing

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 15 11:16:06 2014

I could be wrong but wasn't there a statement from eBay saying that the item specifics are going to be what will drive searches and not so much the description? I'm looking for that in announcements, it was a pretty short statement and not really emphasized...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 15 12:02:24 2014

Good grief talk about a well crafted email that says absolutely nothing specific.  Using that email you could remove most listings on ebay.

I too have found in cases similar to this where a CSR just dreams up some rule that really doesn't exist.

BTW, I have learned that even though these MC999 emails say not to respond to them, you really can and they really do go to a real person.  So click on that reply button and address the issue.  See what they say.  They put on those emails not to respond to them just to keep down on those that would respond.

I had a listing removed for a reason I could not determine as well.  When I called Ebay, they said it was misleading.  Misleading what?  No direct or clear answer was forthcoming.  Then suddenly they decided that it was because the brand name was not in the title. So what? Not every listing needs it as for some products is simply is not important.

They continued to insist it was because the brand name was not in the title.  2 different CSRs tried to get me to believe it was policy.  But when I ask for direction to that policy they could not provide it.  And of course that would be because one does not exist.

@linda

It wasn't that ISBs was going to drive searches, it was that the info in your ISBs could be accessed by the searches.  Which in turn makes those boxes very valuable for sellers.  This was actually suppose to start last year, and it actually did for awhile.  But now every time I test it, it isn't doing it anymore.

The other bonus for sellers that use ISBs wisely is that they can help protect your FB.  If you get a bad FB that is in direct conflict with what you state in your ISB or title, you can get it removed in most cases.  That is a really good benefit for sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu May 15 14:34:31 2014

I've lost count of the number of times I've looked at a listing to find this description: "What you see is what you get." Huh? Why aren't those people getting their listings removed insufficient descriptions?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Thu May 15 19:47:35 2014

Typical eBay....

One minute they tell you to optimize your descriptions to be better viewed in mobile apps... then the next minute they are citing sellers with violations, and the best the Peggy's at eBay can do is say make the description longer.

So... which is it eBay, please get your story straight... should sellers list with brief descriptions to optimize for mobile, or longer descriptions to avoid mysterious MC999 listing policy violations.

eBay wonders why they can not grow sales, and finds it necessary to offer current sellers a bounty to rope in new sellers - do any of the MBA's think this might be related to the conflicts between eBay suggestions and policy violation slaps?

What new seller is going to want to walk the eBay tightropes?

Answer: NONE I know of

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri May 16 06:29:37 2014

Talk to five different CSRs and you will get five different answers.  Most whom I have dealt with are very, very nice, but I honestly don't think they follow through with what they say they are going to do.  On the rare times that I have had to contact Trust & Safety, I have left the call feeling that I just wasted my time.

I get the sense that I am speaking to recent college graduates every time I call eBay customer service.

I have to wonder if a bot can issue an MC999 (I'm guessing so), and if so, and the CSRs don't know why the bot took it down, there is OP's answer. The CSRs likely don't know either, and instead of saying that they don't know, they blah, blah, blah there way through the call.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 16 08:33:39 2014

What a colossal waste of time!

-- Wasted time creating the listing.
-- Wasted time listing the item.
-- Wasted time reading the email notification.
-- Wasted time RE-reading the email notification.
-- Wasted time trying to decipher what the email meant.
-- Wasted time carefully examining the original listing.
-- Wasted time calling eBay.
-- Wasted time on hold listening to music and announcements.
-- Wasted time asking and explaining.
-- Wasted time listening to BS responses.
-- Wasted time until 1st CSR realizes that they don't know.
-- Wasted time on hold while transferred to next CSR.
-- Wasted time re-explaining to next CSR.
-- Wasted time listening to theories.
-- Wasted time listing to made-up on-the-fly BS advice.
-- Wasted time modifying the listing.
-- Wasted time resubmitting the modified listing.

PLUS...

-- Risk of having NOT actually corrected the original ''infraction'' and therefore being punished for willfully ''ignoring'' eBay's directive to not list the item again?

So much effort. So much time. So much frustration.

Why bother?!

What OTHER productive and money-making activities could these sellers have been doing INSTEAD?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 16 09:18:05 2014

Until you realize that to get it solved you are going to have to block off some valuable time, roll up your sleeves and stick your head into the lions mouth (aka keep calling eBay and asking to speak to an english speaking supervisor) - you may never find out whats really the problem.

MC012 & MC019 are VERO violations (copyright, trademark or other issues aka ones eBay thinks may get them in trouble so they dump on you). MC999 is usually an internal eBay made up issue - they dont like your pictures, your text (verbage), some one called them and told them you are doing something wrong (but nothing illegal)(ie your competitors are lying about you) ... stuff like that.

eBay is a mine field of crap that one must navigate blindfolded.

For every rule they espouce there's 2-3 more that they claim exist that are only a "problem" sporadically.

Grin it and bare it - call and get a supervisor and make them go over the listing with you - have them look at it while you do - preferably with a genius from "Trust & Saftey" (that name in and of itself is a joke - but hey - so is the REST of eBay most times).

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 16 22:41:28 2014

Are you saying ebay is particularly incompetent, in over their heads?  Something like that?

I think you're right, exactly.

In over their heads. You should expect no less. I sure don't.

by: jaydee This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 17 10:12:24 2014

We have had a few mc999's over the years, and identical situation absolutely NO CLUE
as to how to fix the listing

Also this is even more of a problem for the buyer, just last month I made a ton of purchases on ebay and one of the sellers listing was MC999 and ebay completely removed ALL the info from my purchase history, for that item, WTF, the item was in delivery, it took me forever to even find the sellers id,

EBAY is absolutely going to go under one day soon, as one poster mentioned total WASTE

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Mon May 19 03:37:32 2014

I had a item removed. Apparently  ex world war 2 gas marks are now classed (well be ebay anyway) as  weapons. Yet they still have close on 2000 listed.
The ebay clown I spoke too couldn't help but I doubt English was their first (or even second) language anyway.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 08:28:58 2014

It matters not what eBay does to enforce its obtuse set of rules. But, it does behoove eBay to explain under what ruling they have sanctioned a listing.

It is this type of business "attitude", on the part of eBay, that makes you wonder why anyone lists there at all and, better yet, they continue to thrive.

by: AlanJM This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 08:41:28 2014

UPDATE: After editing the entire listing and again relisting the item, it had again been removed after two days. I called eBay once again, this time the CSR stated that I needed more pictures and measurements because ''buyers have left negative feedback on listings similar to this item because the item was smaller than appeared on the listings''. That is somewhat of a messed up statement as this item is an original OEM replacement part that is made by ONE company and comes in ONE size, shape, etc only. I have not yet relisted this item because I this point I have NO idea what eBay now expects or requires. - Alan

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 09:06:25 2014

This is getting ridiculous!!! Look how many descriptions only have "worn once", "very comfy", etc. These are the auctions that should be pulled. There's many more of them cropping up each day. And, write to those sellers and try to get info???? GOOD LUCK!!!!! And they wonder why their item isn't selling!!!!

by: DVDs&More This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 09:09:50 2014

It's a computer algorithm, and like any algorithm, there will be false positives.  However, whatever it triggered on could be recorded, if not for the seller, at least for customer support.

eBay is having an identity crisis though.  I see a number of listings that have no description other than the title and ''Posted with eBay mobile''.   They are going after the casual seller, snapping a picture with a cell phone, while at the same time trying to create a marketplace for the consumer that operates like a large retail chain.  You can't have both.

As a buyer, I like the mismatch of casual and professional sellers, and since I'm not a complete moron, I can tell the difference between the two, and the price I'm willing to pay and my expectations are set accordingly.

-Steve

by: DVDs&More This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 09:15:26 2014

I also had a listing removed because it incited violence, or gave instructions on making bombs or some such thing.  It was a movie titled "The Anarchist's Cookbook".  Now, that publication is a list of bomb making directions.

The movie, however is not.  It's a comedy about some teenagers.  How do I know this?  Not by watching it, because I didn't, but from the very pre-filled description for the DVD provided BY EBAY!

Yes, this item is in our catalog so you can sell it easily, with stock artwork and all, but you better not try and sell it.  But look how easy we made it.  Just provide a UPC and a price.  Just don't try and sell it, or you'll be punished.  But we made it easy for you, so come on down.

-Steve

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 09:27:29 2014

I feel your pain. At least you could figure out what the item was. I still remember ebay taking down a listing completely, as in making it totally disappear never to be seen again, when some hacker got on the loose and bid on it. Ebay in their thoughtful way, let me know that to take care of the problem they deleted the listing - take that you hacker! As it still had time to go and the hacker was the only one with a bid on it, why not just get rid of the bid? Too easy I guess. Instead I had to recreate the listing and PAY yet again to list it in hopes of selling of course I got no refund of the original listing fee. Nonsense like that is part of why I packed my bags and left ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 19 10:17:55 2014

----- ''I called eBay once again, this time the CSR stated that I needed more pictures and measurements because ''buyers have left negative feedback on listings similar to this item because the item was smaller than appeared on the listings''.''

Isn't that annoying! Truly maddening!!

My only bad feedback (ever!) was from an idiot buyer who responded that the widget looked larger in the photos.

Never mind that my listing title was ''Red Widget (2'' Diameter)'' !!!

Never mind that for my close-up photo of the Widget, there was a ruler in the foreground.

Never mind that when pointing out a small defect in the widget, I used a pencil-tip as my in-photo pointer!!

Seriously?!

I phoned eBay about it, and was told that it was the buyers ''opinion'' and that it could not be removed (in spite of the obvious insanity of it... and in spite of all the evidence to the contrary.)

At that point, my eBay sales TANKED! One idiot buyer (and eBay's flawed algorithms) really damaged my business.

It was a THAT VERY MOMENT that my decision to leave eBay was solidified! I knew I couldn't afford the risk of being at the WHIM of an idiot buyer and eBay software that took these ''opinions'' so seriously that it could ruin my business.

I made the correct decision! :-)

Life is good.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 19 16:47:38 2014

Yes hitting REPLY to those EBAY Bizarro World Emails DOES work.  You might not get an explanation you will LIKE but you DO get an actual pair of (sub) human eyes on the listing.

I have had a few similar ones to the OP and have practically turnd the laptop upsode down hoping that some form of  a pattern will form so I can SEE what it is that ebay is TELLING me I did wrong.  And I suspect that this is only PRACTICE for the new "Improved" seller witch hunts.

So they can get it all perfect 'n' such ya know.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Sun May 25 10:01:03 2014

Yes - eBay has told me that if I want more info on an MC999 email, just reply to the email, and the question will end up in the queue of the CS Rep who ended the listing. Of course I don't know if that is still true.

by: COH This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 26 20:53:27 2014

Anonymous Annie - I would LOVE to know where you are selling.  You seem to be here on AuctionBytes all the time.  You constantly mention how stellar your sales are 'elsewhere'.  Since you are Anonymous, I'm sure ebay won't come after you if you mentioned where you sell so much, while the rest of us suffer.