Mon May 12 2014 07:08:18

eBay Global Shipping: Service Is Deteriorating Says Volume Seller

By: Reader

I'm a fairly large user of eBay's Global Shipping Program. Until a week or so ago, I was one of the few sellers here that use/used it with very few complaints ... The KEY word being "until last week"

There have been/are new issues that sellers who use the program need to know.

1) The Global Shipping Team - was a specific department in eBay's Customer Service department that ONLY handled GS issues. That team was US based and was directly able to deal with any GS issue. That included lost or damaged items, negative feedbacks, DSRs and anything else you can think of.

THAT team has now been disbanded and the responsibilities for those things have been handed to the regular low level CS people we all dread calling.

I've now had to make no less than 10 calls concerning various issues and have received NO HELP at all beyond "we will look into it and call you back". It's more like teenagers dating in high school who promise to call each other back but never do. I thought that this was a REAL business not a joke.

2) eBay claims that they received 25K-30K packages a DAY in Kentucky and are overworked and mistakes are starting to occur more than ever. I've now had to make some of those aforementioned calls to eBay CS because a large number of packages never leave the USA. They are either stuck in Kentucky or Indianapolis, and no details are available to sellers as to why.

3) eBay in Kentucky is changing packaging. Items that I have shipped in boxes are arriving in other countries without their original double boxes, causing enough damage to make customers upset but not enough (thankfully) to get negatives or low DSRs from. Why would eBay have Pitney Bowes do that?

4) eBay is not always being honest about how parcels ship from here to various countries. It was hinted/told to us that they were going Fed Ex ... which as I am finding out is NOT always happening.

Parcels go to an i-Parcel center and then someone (PB?) is deciding how best to ship.

I ship a lot of items to Singapore. In the beginning they went Fed Ex, now Singapore Post - which has slowed things down and worse, sometimes holds packages themselves (with no explanations given).

eBays Global Shipping program is no suffering from lots of issues - I'm emailing you to let sellers who do use that program to be aware - just because it shipped to Kentucky DOESNT mean your end is done. It used to be that way, but now due to the changes eBay is making (or allowing due to costs?) things are not as they should be.

I've got more customer issues to deal with and more calls to make - I'm not spending time listing, I'm spending time answering angry emails and cleaning up eBay mess!
P.

eBay Global Shipping: Service Is Deteriorating Say   eBay Global Shipping: Service Is Deteriorating Say

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 12 08:28:03 2014

I can't help myself... but I feel compelled to state the obvious.

Based on the OP's description, it seems clear to me that this is a continuation of eBay's pattern of big-talk, big-plans, high-hopes... but NO follow-through.

Instead of investing in the manpower and infrastructure that will develop, build-upon, and improve... and instead doing things that will improve efficiency, improve procedures, and strengthen the foundation... they are (apparently) only looking at the quarterly bottom-line.

Rather an focusing on long-term goals and sustainability... the short-sighted bean-counters and policy makers are weakening GSP for the sake of being able to demonstrate greater profit.

With all the trimming, downgrading, and elimination of (necessary) services and function, they may indeed improve GSP's appearance of profitability (on paper) ... but in the end, they're left with little more than a thin-walled hollow shell that will likely collapse under its own weight.

Have they lost interest? Are they just lazy? A lack of commitment? Or is this just another greedy, yet myopic, decision from eBay's ''visionary'' policy-makers?

Time will tell. (But I think we already know what the answer will be.)

by: the-timekeepers This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 09:08:35 2014

Oh how true! I knew it was going to be a disaster from the get go.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon May 12 09:12:06 2014

eBay only see dollar signs, and all these hair brain schemes that they come with are driven by their greed.  I'm guessing that they thought that they could just do some simple programming and Pitney Bowes would do the heavy lifting.

Jack of all trades, and master of nothing. And there is a whole lot of nothing coming out of those "thinking days".

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 09:46:08 2014

Im the OP in this letter.

It seems - to only et WORSE.

I have items sittin in Indianapolis - where "all items are sent" after Kentucky.

Because eBay/Fed Ex/I-Parcel cant get their collective acts aligned:

1) funds against those transactions are ON HOLD in Paypal - even though the GSP specifically states theres no reason for it - ie the parcel reached KY in time and the loss/delay is entirely eBays partners fault

2) you have to call in and fight to make sure you DONT get an order defect (even though you shouldnt due t its being a GSP item)

3) the genuis's havent thought out what you can ship where ... as it seems that most asian countries do NOT allow certain items (in my case Jewelry) and are holding up the watches that I sell.

"will there be a change/notification on eBays boards on what you can sell where - or a change in GSP?" .... answer I was given "when we figure it out (dummies) we will PROBABLY make an announcement"

Ive had issues now with Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia as examples)).

eBay has now kept 3 items and refunded me and the customer (released the funds back to me) and it continues (Ive got 2 pending now!)

Its a sad state of affairs - its typical eBay bs - programs not working as they stated - and then the results are punnishing ... (wait for it) the seller!

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 09:48:03 2014

The problem is this:  Ebay charges a pretty penny to do that global shipping, they make nice money on it.

We dread international shipping because we found we generally cannot be paid what would make that a profit center for us, We don't do things that are unprofitable, we are a commercial business. We heard so many complaints about international shipping costs we just avoided it.

But it seems that in at least some cases we were wrong, and ebay has indeed been able to charge international buyers at a level that results in not losing money. What a surprise!

If you are willing to do global shipping and are interested in making money doing it, now it seems that might be possible in at least some cases.  That ebay and PB have somehow fallen down on the job leaves and opening for us to do it at a profitable amount. We'd be interested in that.  We'd never be interested in outsourcing a profit center to ebay or PB.

So it might be time to just put a notice in all our listings that if you want to buy and you do not live in the US we charge the same as ebay charges for global shipping and we will then be responsible for the shipping.  Something you cannot count on an outsourced vendor to be.  Responsible.

The only problem that remains is Paypal's involvement, since Paypal is an intermediary and since they can just take the money out of your account if they want, we don't take paypal from those that are outside the US.  We have actually had to threaten to sue a buyer over an ebay deal, we hired a law firm in another state to contact the buyer. Fortunately they paid up right away then and we didn't have to go further but we would have. It was a large enough dollar amount.

We don't think we have the ability to hire an attorney in Egypt or Russia to enforce collections.  So we don't take Paypal.  We do take credit cards for international, fortunately with the items we sell most of our buyers are solid citizens wherever they are.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 10:52:02 2014

First rule is NEVER EVER let ebay TOUCH anything regarding your business because they will ALWAYS find a way to SCREW IT UP and let YOU take the blame and the fall out for it.

Even when they say they will protect you, we all know  their "protection" is in WORDS ONLY!  They always manage to make up something in order to blame the seller.

ebay really is a SINKING SHIP and every day they sink a little deeper.

The only small bit of hope ebay has is to get rid of ALL of the execs starting with JD, and to start actually protecting their sellers from the scammers.

They need to completely get rid of the entire feedback/rating system until they are smart enough to find a system that actually works and is FAIR.

Of course we all know they will not be doing any of the above so there really is NO hope or future for ebay in the years to come.

ebay will NEVER again be what it once was and will NEVER be more than it was or could be if it had honest, ethical and qualified leadership.

Empires always FAIL because of GREED and EXCESS.

It is time someone tell the emperor it has no close!

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon May 12 18:45:52 2014

Wall Street well understands the problems at eBay ...

Notwithstanding that the eBay Dept of Spin likes to claim a “400% increase” in eBay’s share price since the GFC, just what does the "smart money" on Wall Street think about eBay? Well, the fact is, in August 2007, prior to the GFC, when the "Pain From Bain", Johnny Ho, was already effectively in control of eBay, the share prices of eBay and Amazon were both ~$40; with eBay recently ~$51 and Amazon ~$303; clearly, Wall Street (now) considers eBay to be a "dog", and Johnny Ho to be a very poor dog handler ...

Ho, Ho, Ho, it really is long past time for you to go ...

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon May 12 20:44:55 2014

The GSP had debacle written all over it. How many buyers are going to put up with the extra fees they have to pay when the seller chooses the service? I've read on this site of sellers getting cancelled orders once the buyers see the extra amounts they have to pay. And now, eBay is cutting back on the program's resources. I agree with others who stated that eBay likely saw GSP as a way to get more money, only to realize the whole thing was too much trouble and costing too much money.

by: trader_chris This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 23:37:56 2014

The more layers of people that you put between yourself and your customers, the greater the chance that something will go wrong (and the harder it will be for you to fix in a timely manner). I ship a lot of items overseas, but have never used the GSP for this reason. eBay has a reputation for poor execution and high abandonment and the GSP is no exception.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Tue May 13 00:37:47 2014

A recent customer insisted I revise a listing to include the eBay Global Shipping Program to Singapore. I did as instructed. It took a full month for the item to arrive! Since the item was valued at 1K USPS Express Mail with 5 day delivery was warranted. The customer was livid at the delay along with TWO WEEKS of no tracking. GSP necessitated a flurry of e-mails back and forth (her: ''where is my package?!!?'' and me offering profuse apologies on behalf of eBay). i-track is i-broke.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 00:43:36 2014

Well that explains how my padded and bubble wrapped video case was crushed when it arrived in the U.K. I sent an email to Ebay asking if the Kentucky Center was removing items from packages and repackaging them. Because if they are, I want no part of Global Shipping. Never heard back, but I did remove Global Shipping. I got a neutral for that sale, which in Ebay Language is now a defect. I can't afford that kind of risk.

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 05:49:37 2014

When are Ebayers going to learn?  I was invited multiple times to join their international shipping program but having experienced Ebay for the last fifteen years I wisely stayed away and continued my own shipping.  My experience saved me from joining their next failure...please look at this as just another experience that will save you later when you put your guard down and decide to trust this lying, un-empathetic piece of crap company. Then they want to tell us how to run our businesses.  They can take those metrics and shove 'em.

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 06:57:46 2014

@Pace306

You've posted enough comments on this site - haven't you read the HORROR STORIES about Global Shipping??? Sure, the stuff gets sent to Kentucky, but it also sits around until the "bean counters" feel like opening the package that YOU so cautiously prepared and repacking it to send abroad.

How do you know these "bean counters" don't have FILTHY HANDS that are getting your items dirty????

Are they BREAKING the items and then sending them to their destination??

Do they have "STICKY FINGERS"???

Are they SMOKING around your items from the "non-smoking household" stated in your auction??

Are they SPILLING DRINKS and leaving food particles in the packages????

Is your INTERNATIONAL BUYER even being honest about the condition the item is received in?? Are they sending you pictures??

INTERNATIONAL BUYERS (and sellers) are bigger crooks than USA ones!!!

All of this has been discussed here.

With the defect rate crap, be sure you'll get some if you remain in the Global Shipping Program. And if they've disbanded Feebay's GSP customer service and left issues to be handled thru their customer service reps.......good luck!!! You're gonna need it!!!!!

Get away from Feebay - that's the best you can do.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 07:31:23 2014

The "promise" of eBay having someone call back - the "new" deferment of blame.

I am still awaiting a promised "call" from a year ago.....

I am not, holding my breath that that will ever happen.

Again, why do people still list on eBay?

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 08:51:40 2014

@ GypsyWitch :)

I know eBay all to well. Ive been here since 1998 (but not as a volume seller until 4-5 yrs ago).

I've had more then a few "entanglements" with the brain trusts that run eBay. I've probably talked to every single Trust & Safety (now THERE'S an oxymoron for you) and VERO employee they have - mostly via lawyers letters. VERO as you may well know is the pay for play division of eBay. Why just remove listings for violation(s) of US laws when you can troll for companies via verowatch.com and tell manufactorers "$75-150 per half hour and we will scour eBay and remove ANY listing you don't like".

VERO admits it doesnt even know the laws it claims its upholding (got an email on that one too - went right to my attorney) - they have ZERO clue what they are are doing. But anyway ..

I do know of eBay's many many flaws as I similar you and others experience them DAILY.

I do alot of international shipping. It was always a hassle since USPS cant really do that right. After I took a few small losses,I shipped everything out of the country via Express Mail and learned my lessons with dealing with the greedy people at eBay. I then went off to find affordable 3rd party insurance for EVERYTHING I ship on eBay and Amazon.

That worked quite well since if anything got lost, Shipsurance paid me (and quite fast too). No baloney "order defect rate" - I just refunded the customer, who in most cases just wanted their money or the item - there was no revenge issues like there are now.

I upped my game (and eBay must have seen this since like Amazon they keep stats on every seller and every sale they make) and maqde a deal with DHL. Anywhere DHL has an office in the world - 5 pounds for $35 my cost. I could now ship almost anywhere in the world and DHL gets the all important signature that eBay wants SO badly.

I know eBay noticed since then invited me into the GSP almost immediately. I was wary of it as you mention - since eBay is basically "King Midas in Reverse".

BUT it worked and it worked well (in the beginning). I never had issues until 2-3 weeks ago.

Everything left KY the same or next day, eBay removed and DSRs and negatives that I received (I got 2 INR from the GSP which is "impossible" under the guidelines they set out".

Then 2-3 weeks ago, all hell broke loose. I started receiving emails from my overseas customers (Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore etc) that items never arrived.

I looked up the tracking and they were all stuck at "i-Parcel" in Indianapolis.

The shipments to Singapore weren't even in Fed Ex, they were pushed onto Singapore Post who took its sweet time.

While eBay at that time protected me from negatives - their sloppy service also robbed me of getting POSITIVES. I asked eBay about it and they laughed at me "too bad".

Then it got WORSE - for those items not received - they started putting Paypal holds on my account.

I called and asked about it and got the brush off. MY part was done - it got to Kentucky in 2 days (Priority mail flat rate envelopes).

I was told again "too bad - until WE determine the problem we are holding YOUR funds"" If we decide to refund the customer, we will have Paypal release the funds back to ... when we get to that point and NOT before".

Every call to eBay produced more and more stupid responses.

1) we are going through growing pains - so sorry

2) we do 25-30K packages a day - stuff happens - deal with it

3) we need to hold your money NOW, since after we hand it off to the next shipper and it leaves the USA in case there's a problem we wont be able to recover funds from YOU (why me?)

4) we realize NOW that certain items cant be exported or may have "parallel import issues" so until we figure it all out - sit tight.

One of my customer (you can see in his feedback to me) complained that the outer box I shipped in was missing. I called eBay and got the brush off AGAIN.

Ina, to her credit (THANK YOU :) ) took up the issue to Brian Moore (Dennis Moore?)(Demi Moore?) and asked for my seller ID to "look into things". I declined because I didn't want to end up being Guardrailed off eBay as enemy #1. BUT THANK YOU INA for being there for we sellers.

Its a shame that this program just doesnt work properly. Like everyone else here - it would seem that eBay didnt think the scale of this program through at all - PLUS - Im sure that Fed EX upped the shipping costs on em (look at Ina's front page article on Fed Ex and DIM weights on packages). So, when anything in eBay goes wrong - you blame the seller and lay it at his/her feet.

Typical eBay BS (as always)

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 08:51:50 2014

As someone that doesn't sell on ebay, I read these kinds of letters and wonder why in the world anyone would use global shipping. It apparently costs more for worst service. Sounds downright silly to continue with it or even start using it in the first place or are ebay sellers forced to use it for all their global packages? As one poster mentioned a customer pressured them into using it to ship to Singapore and then it turned into a fiasco. Why not just tell the seller no and why not?

by: OnceuponaTime This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 10:01:21 2014

International shipping and tracking service. Pitney Bowes will arrange for the international shipment of your order from the U.S. Shipping Center by a third party shipping carrier (or carriers) to the delivery address designated by you or to a collection center near you that is designated by the shipping carrier.

Lets see its eBay GSP correct so we can call them party # 1

PBI can be called party # 2

Shipping center can be considered party # 3

Here a good one...through carrier or ''CARRIERS''  lets call them parties # 4, 5, 6, etc.

Aside from the amount of quote ''parties'' a seller must deal with, it comes down to a simple matter of numbers. There are more packages then there is space on whatever carriers they contract with, so they remain in Kentucky or Indianapolis.

If they are reducing the sizes of items by removing the first box then they may be OVERLOADING the carriers by weight or simply reducing the size to fill remaining space.

eBay discontinues the CS dept of GS and hands that over to the regular CS dept.

When the going gets tough eBay gets going...'''' right out the door''''

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 10:42:02 2014

There's been a series of embarrassing incidents involving Pitney-Bowes accepting shipments at their warehouse and then confiscating the contents, claiming that the package was too big to send on to its destination. Their Terms and Conditions specify maximum dimensions that they will accept, but the eBay/PayPal shipping form will allow the seller to ship the ''violating'' item there anyway, even when the item in question is known to be a Global Shipping item as soon as the purchase is made by an international buyer.

What makes this especially ludicrous is that an oversize box can be (obviously) noticed as soon as it's delivered to the loading dock, at which point they could simply refuse it and send it back. Instead they choose to take it in, refund the buyer (regardless of either seller or buyer preferences), and then resell it themselves through one or more resellers. (In one slightly notorious case, the Pitney-Bowes reseller even used the original seller's own photos.)

Regular readers of the Trust & Safety/SafeHarbor or Packing and Shipping discussion groups will know that an eBay employee named Bennett will pop up occasionally to offer help, and has had some success in sorting out individual messes and recovering items taken by Pitney-Bowes (I'm careful to spell out their name in full here so that anyone doing name searches stands a good chance of finding this discussion), but there's only so much that Bennett can do. In terms of the eBay Global Shipping fiasco, he's rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 10:42:32 2014

I did not buy into the GSP from the get-go, especially when I found out that they send everything via priority mail international.

An example: 10 ounce package going to, say, Australia...Online cost is $13.41 via first-class mail. Priority mail is $38.36, and that's how ebay would be shipping it, plus they will charge the cost to ship to the GSP center which would be another $2 or so. If it is small enough to fit in a small flat rate box, the cost would be $23.50 but that's as low as it will EVER get.

So the buyer would basically be paying $26-$40 for shipping when they should have only had to pay around $13. HORRIBLE.

Another ebay-run disaster.

People on some of my thrifting sites I belong to were hailing GSP as the second-coming, so excited that they didn't have to do anything except ship to Kentucky, meanwhile their buyers were getting financially raped by the "priority mail only" prices on items under 4 pounds.

I never stopped shipping the way I always have. Print out the shipping label, sign the form and mail the damned thing to the country it was supposed to go to. Been doing it for 15 years, and never had a problem, except a couple of delays brought on by Italian customs (a common problem).

The one time I made a boo-boo and didn't opt out of GSP, my poor Japanese buyer had to pay $28 to ship an 8 ounce watch. Disgusting.

I realize there are a special set of rules that you're supposed to follow while shipping internationally, but they're not hard to follow or find out. You have to write down what you're shipping and sign a paper. Oh darn.

You can google stuff like "Can I ship perfume to Canada?" (Yes, but only via ground, such as UPS) to avoid mis-steps.

It's your business, you've got to know the rules yourself, not rely on somebody else to inform you once you screw up.

Yes, you might want to opt out of shipping internationally altogether but then you're cutting yourself off from the revenue of millions of more potential customers just because you have to do a few extra steps.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 10:44:18 2014

@pace306:

> Ina, to her credit (THANK YOU :) ) took up the issue to Brian Moore
> (Dennis Moore?)(Demi Moore?) and asked for my seller ID to ''look
> into things''.

That would be Ryan Moore.