Fri May 9 2014 11:57:12

Amazon Clothing Seller Finds Limits to International FBA

By: Reader

Currently I sell new apparel on Amazon and eBay. Amazon contacted me to join Fulfillment By Amazon (FBA) last week, however they will not fulfill any international orders through the Multi-Channel-Fulfillment (MCF) service they advertise.

They do not make this clear when signing up for FBA, and you will only find out if you ask upfront or when it's too late and all of your inventory is at the fulfillment center and you have an international order to place but can't.

Luckily, I ask all questions upfront before engaging in business with another party.

I am disappointed that Amazon MCF can not offer this export service for non-media items but FBA can export to buyers that order my items on Amazon.com. I do feel that Amazon can change the Multi-Channel-Fulfillment (MCF) service and needs to in order to keep up with the needs of sellers who sell globally and want to be a part of FBA.

Amazon support told me I would need to submit a MCF order and ship to myself paying $8 s/h and then ship to my buyer overseas. I feel that it is too costly to the buyer to pay $8 plus the postage for international shipping and I would still have the burden of shipping everyday. The whole point of going FBA is to not have to ship out orders anymore. If you have a solution that others have used for this issue, please contact me.
Christine

Note from the Editor: We checked with Amazon, a spokesperson confirmed: "While do we support Multi-Channel-Fulfillment (MCF) export for media products, we currently do not support export of non-media products," and provided a link to more details.

Amazon Clothing Seller Finds Limits to Internation   Amazon Clothing Seller Finds Limits to Internation

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 9 14:14:12 2014

I wonder why? Cost of shipping? Difficulties in handling returns? ~ It's hard for me to imagine that there is any technical or programming reason to disallow it.

This is definitely something that could put a seller between a rock and a hard place if ALL (or most) of their inventory was being warehoused at Amazon fulfillment centers.

Ugh! ~ Good luck, Christine!

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Fri May 9 17:01:56 2014

Try eBay's Global Shipping Program and wipe away all international fulfillment fears and tears!

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 9 19:24:05 2014

Puck!!! :-/

:-D

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat May 10 16:28:33 2014

@Puck - Thanks for the laugh!

This user has validated their user name. by: Leafgreen

Sun May 11 23:19:55 2014

Christine, I think the simple solution is to have your supplier ship you a few to keep on hand. You don't have to send ALL your inventory to FBA.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 03:29:01 2014

Many Countries have Laws about selling clothing. Italy for example it is against the Law to import jeans. I can't recall which Country it was against the Law to import silk items and there are dozens more restrictions, depending on which country. Perhaps Amazon does not wants to take the risk of shipping illegal goods Internationally.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 12 21:41:28 2014

This is exactly why these giant warehouse trans-shipping places are a BAD idea.  If your merch is sitting on their shelves they CONTROL your business.

They control who gets to buy it they control what the shipping price is they might even control WHO sees your items in search.

You might be better off hiring some one to pack and do the shipping runs FOR you.  That way YOU are in control.  I cannot imagine having my items sitting in some place where I could not control who had access and who was packing them and if you don't HAVE the item how can you be sure of the measurements and the condition?

Maybe it's me----

by: booklover27 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 13 06:01:14 2014

Hello...anybody home...I have some news for you guys...Amazon couldn't give a rat's ass about your products or business.  You are just a front for this insidious monopoly.  Their main business is getting the manufactures, publishers, producers of all types to send skids and pallets and containers full of inventory to their robotic warehouses.  There will be no chain left soon.  Distribution is all but dead and retail is crumbling at a rapid pace.  And here we are concerned about them not shipping internationally for us...what a laugh.  Lets head down to the FTC offices in DC and start picketing our impotent government until they wake up!

by: TAK This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 15 12:40:34 2014

Booklover, too bad, that's life in a free enterprise system, what is left of it.  There is NO WAY I want the heavy hand of the FTC involved in any private business. You don't like FBA? Don't use it (I don't), or start your own company.