Mon Apr 28 2014 11:18:57

eBay Seller Defects Hard to Avoid with Shipping Rules

By: Reader

Am I crazy or just out of the loop?

eBay recently gave me a poor score on uploading tracking information. Here is the problem: I have been downgraded over a really incompetent idea from eBay.

A buyer pays on Saturday evening. I pack and print the label on Monday morning. I am not giving 24 hour uploading. This is ridiculous. Why upload on Sunday when the package won't be going anywhere? Why does eBay have a problem with this situation?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the USPS will not accept a shipment on Sunday.

Oops! I forgot. eBay has no rocket scientists, let alone people who can walk and chew gum at the same time.
D.F.

eBay Seller Defects Hard to Avoid with Shipping Ru   eBay Seller Defects Hard to Avoid with Shipping Ru

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Apr 28 12:23:40 2014

I myself thought that weekends didn't count, but then again, this is eBay. What they say and what the do are two different things.

I'm still shaking my head wondering how a seller can get a defect simply by accepting a return.  One would think that is giving good customer service, but apparently not, according to eBay's crazy policies.

by: Xander This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 14:16:47 2014

It's painfully obvious the patients are running the asylum at ebay, this whole ''defect'' rating process is nothing short of pure lunacy.

We have but one toe left in ebays door and that will be out of there soon.

Who in their right mind would continue doing business in such a volatile minefield as ebay?

The old adage still hold true: ''If you hang around the barbershop, you're going to get a haircut''.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Apr 28 14:31:35 2014

My dashboard shows a shipping "defect" for an item that was purchased on 3/10. The label was printed on 3/10, and tracking showed accepted on 3/11. So how does this qualify as a defect?

Since eBay is clueless as to why a transaction with a label processed through PayPal the same day payment was received is showing as a defect, how can anyone have confidence in their system when it comes to dealing with weekends or even Monday holidays?

eBay is apparently so desperate for revenue that their method is to attack, harass, and confound their best sellers all so that eBay can unjustly eliminate them from receiving the discounts their outstanding performance entitles them to.

eBay wonders why they lag behind the rest of ecommerce with regard to growth rates, and the reality is they have only themselves and their attacks against sellers to blame.

Their insidious policies that demoralize and disenfranchise their own Top rated Sellers results in many sellers pulling out of eBay and/or bad mouthing the company at every turn. When your own best performing sellers go out of their way to publicly express their dissatisfaction with the company, buyers are negatively impacted.

It should not take an MBA to realize that with so much negativity coming from eBay's Top Rated sellers, there is little wonder why eBay lags behind the industry with regard to growth rates.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Mon Apr 28 14:41:15 2014

"Oops! I forgot. eBay has no rocket scientists"

They do have a plethora of propeller head wannabes secretly plying their 'skills' on unsuspecting sellers like rats in a Skinner box.

by: squern This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 15:58:19 2014

You are forgetting that eBay operate ''doublethink'' - the ability to believe two contradictory ideas at the same time.
So, ''You cannot ship on a Sunday + Sunday counts as a total of the shipping time''.

And ''Sellers are our customers who pay our salaries'' + ''We will make more profit if we alienate and exploit our sellers''.

Simple, when you understand.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Apr 28 20:32:06 2014

@D.F. - Is it possible to print your label with the Monday date to avoid the defect? I may be wrong, but I thought if you printed labels through eBay that you could pick the date you wanted on the label.

by: FLIPPER This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 28 22:29:37 2014

I'm not gonna even worry about it anymore. I USED TO print AND drop off orders received as late as 1:00P.M. E.D.T. on Saturdays but no more.  Ebay has let too many erroneous "star Ratings" which were obvious errors or omissions stand - Sooo I gave up on TSR and just accept them gouging me for 10% on every sale until I get set up elsewhere- hopefully sooner rather than later :/
P.S. shorting the stock cuz I think earnings and/or forward earnings guidance tomorrow(Tues 4/29) is gonna suck eggs!

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 00:19:09 2014

The OP and other examples sound like bugs rather than policy. The cutoff is midnight eBay time the following business day. We print labels all the way up to the deadline. The date on the label and/or the ship date you enter in SMP are irrelevant. What matters is when eBay receives the tracking number. We use Endicia and enter the tracking numbers into PayPal. Maybe this makes a difference. I see no spurious defects. Our tracking is currently at 99.5% with 1-day handling. What's painful for us is when an international customer buys 40 items at 11:59 PM. I can't print the USPS label until everything is packaged to get an accurate weight. All of our labels show the actual shipping date. The same is true for SMP. This is often the business day AFTER eBay's deadline. It doesn't (shouldn't) impact your rating.

This user has validated their user name. by: TraderBoo

Tue Apr 29 07:52:03 2014

Let it be the August 20 a one day strike. All willing ebay sellers should ends their listing for 24 hours in protest of the new defect rate.

by: Teliperk1 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 07:59:07 2014

I'm a little confused by the complaint here - I cut off shipping at 12 noon on Saturdays and print any sales going forward on Monday mornings also - but I have NEVER been dinged for "uploading tracking" late. The only time I was ever scored on that was when I have a sick relative in the hospital and didn't ship 2 orders until a day late (at which time I put my store on vacation so I could deal with the family issues). Is it possible the order in question was placed before Friday? Or the tracking was uploaded on Tuesday, not Monday?

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 08:03:33 2014

As long as privy Sellers on eBay, reaching for discounts on Sellers fees, are willing to jump though hoops that eBay set as behavior modification boundaries in order to achieve those fee discounts - I cant see what the problem is.

You wanna play the game, you pay the price.

When you stop "playing the game" and just "sell", there really are not any issues where the rest of us are selling online.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 08:07:02 2014

@exdwh...
ebays entire platform is set up on BUGS, GLITCHES and INSANITY!

ebay can do NOTHING without it being covered in errors, omissions and confusion.

ebay lies so much that even they do not know when or if they are telling the truth, which almost never happens. And if it does, it is usually an accident.

ebay REFUSES to accept that the reason buyers are leaving is because SELLERS are leaving, either on their own or by the purges.

As a result they STOP buying.

ebay really is it's own worst enemy.

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 08:41:24 2014

@ Teliperk1

I use eBay/Paypal to print my labels.  When I print, the trackinig number is uploaded automatically.

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 08:43:12 2014

Something smells in the story - you don't lose TRS or get downgraded for one bad tracking number. There's only a 90% compliance required to begin with and THAT item alone won't down grade to a lower policy compliance standard.

Something else is at play here.

I strongly recommend we ALL dig into the requirements, and the reporting and know the REAL reasons why things happen. Just blaming ebay is ridiculous when obviously some folks don't know the rules to begin with.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 29 08:52:02 2014

Ebay doesn't promise 24 hours to upload tracking to qualify for the TRS discount.  It says uploaded by next business day.  Not sure what is happening with the OP, but you can run a report from your dashboard to find out the exact listings that are preventing qualification.  I'd run that report just to see if Ebay is screwing up or if you have a misunderstanding.

by: LinneyPinney This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 08:53:30 2014

ebay knows exactly what they are doing, sort of. They are getting rid of us. They don't want us anymore.  They think that corporate America will support them. Their plan is going just as they want it to. Problem is that these asshats have never worked a small business and do not really understand human nature and how buying and selling really works. They understand what their computer research tells them. ebay is being replaced and they will learn that they are the thing of the past. I am leaving ebay and will only have a small dumping grounds shop by August. I have found a much better website to offer my goods. I am selling there better than ebay has been in years. I am so happy to know that there is life after ebay. There has never been a better time for a company to open a sales platform. Customers get on line sales now. They can navigate the internet and find what they are looking for. ebay can keep their bottom feeder sellers and their mean customers. They can shove their BS TRS and DSRs you know where. I have 100% feedback, am a TRS, perfect record and frankly, I don't give two f#$%s about it anymore. Goodbye ebay! It will be great to watch ebay bite the dust. I hope that all of you here on this thread will find a great place to sell so that we can all laugh as ebay continues this downward spiral.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Apr 29 09:16:06 2014

KathleenJohnson, I think many sellers are just sick and tired of eBay continuing to raise the bar higher and higher, and also moving the goal post along the way.  Not only that, many sellers take issue with being given defects with what they view as giving good customer service (i.e., earning a defect for simply taking a return).

Any small seller who has been around for a while clearly sees that eBay simply want to cut down (or cut out completely) the amount of $$$ that they are giving as a TRS discount.

We stopped jumping through the hoops for those discounts some  time ago, but I clearly think that this whole defect system is defective in itself.

by: handmade by martha This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 09:56:16 2014

so many issues, so little time.  i watched part of the web cast about defect ratings and am still very confused.  i clicked on ebay help and searched on shipping defect ratings and was sent on a wild chase to no where.

here are my questions ... some have been addressed above

1) if i have a sale at 4pm on saturday, can i wait until monday morning to print the shipping label?

2) if my customer enters an invalid address (ebay labels flags it as invalid) do i get extra time to try to contact my customer to get the correct address and, since i contacted my customer, will that customer be permitted to leave a communication rating

3) on returns: if my customer sets off the return process, and i give them a full refund and tell them that they do not need to return the item, will my defect ratings be effected?

4) i have 1600+ items in my store.  most are tiny.  i have posted that my policy on out of stock items is that i issue a full refund and then try to fill the order.  yes it is my fault and yes the customer has to wait longer than 1 day shipping ...

4) a little off topic, i wish that tom lehrer was still around to write a pithy tune about defect ratings.

5) and finally, i really wish that the ebay q&a board would come back.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 10:02:11 2014

It's supposed to be next business day. I believe the OP and that ebay is indicting him/her for not shipping on a day that the post office is closed, but that is not how it's supposed to be.

As to that 20% discount, Ric, forget about that. You are not entitled to any discount.  Ebay could discontinue that tomorrow and charge everyone ''full price'' or they could raise the commission tomorrow and charge even more.  We couldn't do anything at all about it.

As to this crazy ''defect rate'' thing, I have zero cases closed without seller resolution, and most of the ''cases'' opened have been by a buyer just asking a question.  So there is nothing whatsoever I can do about that, no reason to dwell on it.

When this kind of thing happens another player finds an opening to enter the market and supplant the old, weaker player.

Googleauctions.com where are you?

by: Oldguy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 29 10:22:10 2014

@ TraderBoo, What good is a boycott?  ebay would never admit it. The figures would never show it. The press would never print a story on it.

Calling the FTC etc will do no good - why? because JD is in bed with the current administration. Now, how would that look if ebay wa getting investigated and just a little while ago, JD wa appointed to some board by Obama???
ebay has to get rid of the 20% for TRS. Maybe they (ebay) should use that 20% as discounts for purchasing only - like the bucks rewards or whatever.
It just shows how desperate they need the revenue. Grabbing as much as possible before it goes under in 2016.
Maybe they are looking for a bailout???

1 2 3  [Next Page]