Wed Apr 23 2014 10:23:53

eBay Sellers Worried over Possible End of Phone Support

By: Reader

I called eBay the other day and the rep told be the "Logistics" (the people who handle the global shipping program - which STILL has lots of issues and problems) has been "disbanded."

And today is the day that the old eBay contact phone number that I have been using for YEARS is being disconnected (866-903-3229)

Thank you for your time, wondering if you have heard any of this?
Best.
M.K.

eBay Sellers Worried over Possible End of Phone Su   eBay Sellers Worried over Possible End of Phone Su

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Apr 23 12:35:27 2014

Are you sure that you are on the right site for your country with the 866 number? A while back, my home page on eBay (I am in the USA) was giving me a customer support number for Australia, and my listings were showing up in Australian dollars.  Some sort of glitch, which I reported to  eCommerce bytes via an email.  It eventually resolved itself, but I'm wondering if this is what is happening on your end.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Wed Apr 23 12:36:54 2014

Not sure how much of a loss it could possibly be.

Last time I called Customer Service the rep had never heard of eBay Giving Works program and was convinced the program had something to do with me paying my monthly invoice for eBay fees.

Maybe he thought my eBay fees qualified as charitable giving.

That was the last time I ever called eBay CS.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Apr 23 13:34:16 2014

Agree with Basset. The few times I did call CS, I knew more than they did about the issue. I can't see how not having phone support is any worse that having phone support with people who don't know anything.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Apr 23 13:38:07 2014

These are all the numbers I found for Customer Support:

1 (866) 961-9253 (Consumer),
1 (866) 405-3229 (Consumer),
1 (866) 540-3229 (Consumer),
1 (800) 682-3229 (Consumer)

None of them match with the number M.K. has been calling.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Wed Apr 23 15:12:15 2014

Regardless, customer support requires relatively expensive (even in the Philippines) human resources; best to keep those expenses to an absolute minimum, except for the headless turkeys in the executive suite, of course; then the descriptor "human" would be problematic, anyway ...

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Wed Apr 23 17:37:47 2014

For all the good their outsourced customer service provides, eBay should hire a load of parrots and mynah birds.

Same result and they'll work for seeds and water.

by: Lois This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 23 23:00:01 2014

I had a very strange interaction with a telephone call to eBay last year. I wanted to go on record praising the extraordinary effort that the service rep had given me. She went way out of her way to help me, and provided me with totally accurate information, followed up with e-mail confirmation.

Believe me when I tell you that the rep I asked to put me in touch with someone I could relay this to told me very firmly, ''I can refer you to the complaint department supervisor.'' I said it wasn't a complaint, and she replied, ''I don't know any other place to send you.'' Oh, okay.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 23 23:29:09 2014

The number I have used for years is:::

866.540.3229

Hint:::: If you use a phone number NOT associated with your account ie I use Google Voice----you get in much faster.  And if you punch whatever the choice is for a BUYER issue--you get in quicker.   You can always apologize and say you punched the wrong button.  Also I cannot be bothered with getting one of the "Limited time PIN numbers"  as first off it is almost impossible to actually GENERATE one of these from the site (esp for a seller issue)   and I find it doesn't DO anything for you.  DO NOT opt to add the Google voice (or whatever service you choose)  number to your account!!!!!

The CSR's are very hit or miss.  I get a great kick over the "American"  names they pick to use---no your mother did NOT name you Victor!  My son sometimes has to do tech support for his engineering firm and I asked him--Do you put on a fake Indian accent and pretend you are Rajiv?

Hysterical.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 06:01:05 2014

1. Calling Customer Service is akin to playing Russian Roulette when it comes to the response you are going to get.

2. Three calls, three different responses - usually from the hip and very very rarely helpful.

3. Asking for a Supervisor is a joke - I am still waiting (going on 8 months now) for a Supervisor to call me back.

4. On most of the Boards - the advise is to call and call again until you get someone who is willing to step off the "pat response" page and actually listen to the problem let alone act on it.

Not sure what we would lose if there was no more customer service at eBay - everything else is a shot in the dark anymore waiting for the other shoe to fall.

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 07:42:16 2014

I have actually talked with quite a few really good customer service reps.  I have also talked to the CSR who didn't know squat.  If I have an issue where I know I am right and need to get something changed, I call and call, and call, and CALL until I get the CSR smart enough to see my point.

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 07:52:24 2014

IHEARTJACKSPARROW:

Add another number to list:
866-877-3229.

That's the number I've been calling for years, and the last time I called I got the recorded message that the number will be "retired" after April 23rd!!

Forget trying to find answers on their Customer Support pages!!!! As useful as t.ts on a bull!!!!

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 08:07:37 2014

I must be an exception!! I get great customer support 99% of the time.

I call from my landline. Cellphone calling goes straight to Manilla. Landline straight to SLC most times. (or Nebraska on Sunday)

I use the pin everything and I use the appropriate box. But then I buy as much as a I sell and I generate a fair amount of sales so maybe they see my value.

by: Oldguy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 08:10:25 2014

In my opinion that ended a long time ago. So what's new.

The calls I made were useless, time consuming and expensive.

Makes you wonder how solvent the company is, have to get rid of call center, have to get rid of the 20%, they already limited your exposure.

What else are they going to eliminate to save money????????

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 08:19:29 2014

Phone support, What's that?

by: WhoKnewIt This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 08:19:48 2014

I'm in the "what's the loss" camp, CSR's were useless.  I say "were" because I quit selling there years ago.  I do, however, appreciate the responses to the OP's questions.....it was a wonderful way to start my day out....laughing my head off.  You guys are a hoot! :)

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 08:21:38 2014

Actually, I think having email messages would be a better practice. As you would have some proof in writing.

But again, what does eBay care!

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 10:18:39 2014

I rarely get better than bad customer service when I call EBay. In fact the last time that I called them the rep hung up on me and I wasn't even yelling or using foul language or anything. Then when I called back to request one of those "rate your customer service experience" emails, which incidentally I never receive when I have a bad experience and only receive them when I have a good experience, I was told that they are randomly sent out (don't believe it one bit).

Considering that every EBay rep that you call automatically tells sellers to take their undeserved negative feedback like a grownup, I think that they too should put on their big boy/girl panties and take their own negative feedback. I have always found it disconcerting that sellers have no recourse against EBay reps who are rude, insensitive, and lacking knowledge (which all of them are), especially since they can make or break your business on EBay.

The EBay customer service reps are accustomed to mistreating sellers because they know that sellers are powerless to them and they treat them as such. When calling EBay customer support, a sellers first initial contact person acts more like a bill collector than a customer service rep.  Even if you do get a call escalated to a "supervisor", often the supervisor doesn't call you back, puts you on hold for 30 minutes hoping that you will hang up, or they simply repeats what the first rep told you.

The only reason that I have ever had the need to call EBay is when I was being ripped off by a dirty buyer, and EBay ALWAYS tells me to take it in the shorts, every single time, so it is a waste of my time.  EBay cares nothing about the thousands and thousands of thieves and scammers shopping on their site and they automatically side with the buyer every single time without question.  So it is fruitless to call them and they know that. They will soon be just like Facebook.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Apr 24 10:31:03 2014

I agree with RitchieC - I would prefer emails, where we would have the response in writing and could refer back to it.  Though, I doubt THAT happens.

In my last ''in person'' contract job, emails were continually discouraged because of the responsibility that goes along with ''putting it in writing''.

Sheesh! What a sad lot of people we are becoming.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 10:39:22 2014

I think that emails would be just as much of a problem because reps would simply respond with canned or automated messages, ignore the messages completely, or block requests from sellers who send too many. It is very clear that customer service for sellers is not EBay's concern. They are too busy protecting dirty buyers.

by: Oldguy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 24 12:09:41 2014

emails may never be answered. Or if they are - something that would be totally irrelevant. Start over again.  How many times??? till you give up.

All by design.