Thu Apr 17 2014 15:50:12

PayPal Sides with eBay Seller in Buyer Dispute

By: Reader

I can not believe that PayPal took side for the seller this time! I am located in Chile and have a customer who bought a ceramic mug. This person choose economy shipping. I sent it via standard with tracking. Item was shipped day 4 of a month, day 15 was already in the US. USPS attempted to deliver on the 20th, no one home. And finally was signed for and delivered on the 27th. All same month.

Customer opened a dispute in PayPal 11 days after receiving the item was not as described, According to customer item was broken, due poor packaging and that he had photos to prove it, and also that item arrived late (?)

Well, I package mugs very protected, and in a box 3 times bigger than the mug itself. Buyer wanted a new mug or a refund. I had no problem in shipping a new one or making a refund, but asked for photos. They never came. Then I thought, why someone would take 11 days to rise a claim? And my second thought was this item arrived within my own delivery times (stated) and even within eBay's own delivery times. Something didn't ring fine to me here.

I asked the customer politely what has happened that he had not contacted me as soon as he received and signed for the box, but instead, he made a claim 11 days later. The answer never came. He asked PayPal to make a resolution.

I sent the same facts that I have described here, and what seems to be unthinkable... PayPal resolution was on my favour, and said I didn't need to make any refund. How strange is that!? Sometimes miracles happen.

I am sorry for the customer, but I do not understand why he did not contact me directly to fix this, and what is more important, why it took him 11 days to claim item arrived broken. I don't know you, but if something like that happens to me, I would contact the seller right away.

On the other hand the customer had left negative feedbacks to other seller complaining of "poor packaging". I don't know about them, but that was a real poor excuse on my shipping no his part. I do hope I won't have a negative coming.
J.

PayPal Sides with eBay Seller in Buyer Dispute   PayPal Sides with eBay Seller in Buyer Dispute

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Apr 17 16:51:03 2014

Chilean parcels make the final leg of their journeys on the backs of llamas.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Apr 17 17:13:49 2014

Could be you sell a great mug and the customer's spouse or significant other liked the mug so much the customer  never got to use it. So he/she thought of a sneaky way to get another mug....   Just a wild guess!

Glad PayPal stood behind you. I agree - timing is everything.  11 day wait to start a claim for damage is fishy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 18 06:56:53 2014

Could also be that the buyer has tried this before, and sellers have been using the eBay report feature (which everyone should be using) to report issues with this buyer.  Enough bad reports and a buyer loses his credibility.  This is highly unusual (to the point of almost being unheard of) so it appears to me that PayPal or eBay have some type of information on this buyer that tipped the scales in your favor.

I am an avid user of the report buyer feature when something isn't quite right.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 13:31:48 2014

The customer probably threatened Paypal with a chargeback.

Chargebacks cost Paypal a FORTUNE, so when they are faced with one - they fold and pay the buyer themselves out of their "insurance fund".

Ive had it happen to me - it happens on inexpensive items that Paypal figures its cheaper to give the buyer his $29.99 then taking it/letting it go "all the way".

eBay does this too when they are in a bind with no way out.

It doesnt happen on expensive items so be careful!

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 18 14:31:43 2014

Unfortunately, the jackass CAN leave you negative feedback. another serious eBay problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Apr 19 21:51:39 2014

If he leaves you FB, call Ebay to get it removed.  I've been told that they will since you won the PP claim.  And I've known someone to actually do this successfully.

I have found PP to be more reasonable on claims than Ebay most of the time.  Not always, but moreso than Ebay that is for sure.  I am so glad this worked out for you as it should have.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Apr 20 06:28:30 2014

“PayPal Sides with eBay Seller in Buyer Dispute”

So, miracles can happen after all. Why, PayPal’s David Marcus is even thinking about changing his mind about NFC/EMV; then, I don’t suppose it has anything to do with MasterCard and Visa mandating same for payments by October 2015?

Funny that, seeing as eBay’s Johnny Ho has previously told us that NFC stands for “Not For Commerce” and Marcus has assured us that “NFC will fail to gain mass adoption … [and] the NFC payments debate will slowly die in 2013.”—LOL …

And, surely, Johnny Ho and David Marcus would know better than the two elephants in the room, MasterCard and Visa—wouldn’t they?

Then, Johnny Ho has already answered that question for us: "Even though people think I'm an expert at technological innovation, my own instinct for technology was frozen in place in 1982." - John Donahoe (26 Sep 2007) ...
(On the first part, who could possibly have thought that? On the second, a few of the only true words that Johnny Ho has ever spoken.)

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 20 22:23:54 2014

I had a buyer file a not received claim once, but I had proof of delivery.

Ebay ruled in my favor on the matter.  Told me I didn't have to do anything else.

I felt bad about it.  The guy from ebay said he couldn't disclose anything further about the matter because of privacy issues, but often this is when it's not the first time with that buyer.

Read between the lines.  He wanted another one for free. And he'd probably done it before.

Way back when, ebay was an open book.  A dishonest buyer or seller would be fingered in feedback pretty quickly.  Since sellers can no longer give a buyer a neg, that has broken down, and ebay ''only a venue'' remember, is now embroiled in all our transactions.

It's not great, is it?

by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 20 23:42:59 2014

You are lucky they didn't say their father died and they were busy with the arrangements. That's the standard one I get when I show them that my policy states they have to contact me within 48 hours of delivery.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 21 00:05:44 2014

I find it hysterical how MANY times when you ask for photos the complainer suddenly goes silent running.

They don't always shut up to ebay and Paypal tho.

Just to the seller--the person who might actually CARE.

And if you sell vintage or unusual items you most likely will NOT have another to replace it with--as ebay CSR's seem to feel we ALL have a vast warehouse of vintage or OOAK items just WAITING to re-place the MIA or "damaged"  parcel with.

This is what happens when you have a buncha over priveleged preppy MBA's running a company who have NEVER sold an item from behind a counter or online.  Or had to deal with a missing piece of mail---good thing they have their paychecks direct deposited tho--what if THEY went missing in the MAIL???

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 21 00:43:34 2014

Terrific that as a seller in Chile you got your product up to the US, you were able to track it's delivery and won the case with PP siding with you!!! Way to go!

Don't understand why people think they need to go through life cheating and lying and stealing from others. They don't realize that the best policy is treating people the way they would like to be treated.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 21 10:24:26 2014

no photos=no claim!  I've been screwed out of refunds when my customer claimed wrong color bt gave me no photos with which to fight the shipper!

by: Mr. Me This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 21 12:03:20 2014

even preypal  needs a "poster child"

by: Cassie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 21 15:39:07 2014

The issue the seller covered their bases on a bad sale lucky there are some career bad buyers on ebay that take from you for profit and re-sale love tracking these guys does eBay and paypal look the other way yep. It amazes me every attempt to remove them they're several steps ahead with a new angle. This reason eBay is my customer screening process

by: Tauman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 21 22:16:03 2014

Be it known that when eBay does a refund out of their own pocket it DOES count against you. I don't know about paypal but eBay does OWN paypal. Been there done that!