Tue Apr 15 2014 12:30:16

New eBay Stores Formatting Gets a Thumbs Up

By: Reader

On a positive note: Recently the new eBay store format setup popped up when I was in "manage my store". I had the time, so I went through the setup. I had already noticed a smattering of other sellers had done this and their results looked good.

Pleased with the results - I think it looks fresher and easier to browse.

The pictures are larger. The Categories are larger. Search feature right there.

Save Seller and newsletter feature right there. You can pick your items to promote if you wish. Happiness.

Later, I noticed that when I had one of my listings pulled up, the Store Categories are in the much larger font size and appear alongside of the listing description.

So... a buyer (if they READ the listing) has easy access to see MORE of a seller's items! No need for buyer to hunt for the link or leave the page to explore more of same seller's listings. I always have felt eBay should make it easier for a buyer to find a sellers other items - this seems to.

For my own spring cleaning, I made sure my categories were cleaned up and accurate if they are going to continue to have more prominent placement.

Sure hope this stays put and they are not just messin' around!!! (they still give you an out to revert to your old store). Not sure if this is available to all yet - it should be. And it was easy & quick.

Has anyone else been able to "spruce up" their store?
The Basset

New eBay Stores Formatting Gets a Thumbs Up   New eBay Stores Formatting Gets a Thumbs Up

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 14:46:41 2014

I too noticed and thought about it. But I'm just to gun-shy with eBay to opt into any of their apps that can affect my store (worse than it already has). My survival there is too tenuous!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Apr 16 02:33:15 2014

Sellers pay fpr stores. Therefore we SHOULD have the option to keep our existing format, design a new one, or opt into ebay vanilla.

It should OUR choice since we pay the bill each monthly.

Does every store look the same on Main Street? Does every store look the same in the mall?

Another example of why we are all unpaid ebay employees and another cubicle heard from.

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 13:56:34 2014

Let me guess. Along with this new design, eBay has also done away with the flawed DSR system, the 21-day PayPal holds, and has stopped suspending small sellers. What? You mean they haven't made those changes? Oh that's right- there's that new Defect Rate that's going to solve everything.

by: LinneyPinney This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 23:00:34 2014

We sure need to do something with the ghost town called eBay.  What they need to do is fix Cassini. I worked all day moving items out of eBay and onto other sites where things sell.  It would not even pull up things in my own store! I had to use my categories to find my own inventory.  What the heck?

by: NetWatch This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 00:27:57 2014

@LinneyPenney, it's eBay's way of saying "thanks but no thanks" we want to rid the site of small sellers so big box retailers can rule.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Thu Apr 17 01:11:51 2014

@LinneyPinney,

Undoubtedly, buyers are being funneled to eBay’s preferred sellers in a desperate attempt to keep them happy; Johnny Ho says, sorry, but there's not enough buyers left for you “noisy” hoi polloi ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 06:43:00 2014

Actually, this new store design ia an empty shell. I switched to the new store just to find out that the functionality of the old store is gone. Specifically, in the old store I had an option to create and display links to 4 custom pages. Also, you would have these 4 links display in a so called listings frame, a box that was above the description in the individual listings. These are gone. In the old design you could pick accent colors for your store. This is gone. This is just another ebay's step to make their site uniform and get rid of any individuality. I switched back to old design, but this will probably be overridden soon

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Apr 17 11:08:04 2014

@marty - LOL - the new format must have been designed for people like me that never used all the functionality of the ''old'' store format. Since I don't prefer visually ''busy'' looking stores I never used all the links or promo boxes, etc..  (I probably would have flunked virtual marketing 101 :)

As far as color goes for my own purposes, my header & logo photos provide enough. The only other color needed comes from my items for sale.

As a buyer I crave simplicity and a simple look:

Other examples that stand out as visually pleasing to me were Bonanza's old look when they were Bonanzle , Pinterest's look and the etsy app (for some odd reason I don't go to etsy other than on my tablet). Just a clean, uniform format since I am there to look or shop, and not admire store fixtures.

Before I changed mine, I looked at every seller's store I did business with. When able to find sellers that converted, I consistently found the format attractive and their header photos and logos provided distinction and  looked nice.  The uniformity of where to search within the store, find the ''save seller'' or ''newsletter'' and find the side menu of Categories made things easy. Under the old format these could be different places, depending on how the seller set it up.

Possible plus:  since I changed to new format I have gained buyers who ''saved'' my store.

I realize not everyone likes uniformity and has spent a lot of time designing their store's look. Some categories probably need the links of the old format.
By the same token, some buyers appreciate the effort, others would probably be content shopping in a cave as long as they found their item.
Different strokes!

Just thought I'd share my (so far positive) experience with the new format in case others came across it or were thinking of giving it a try.

by: Winkle Me Evilbay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 17 13:23:27 2014

^^^ Ebay hype. But points for having better grammar than your fellow employees in the "helpless" center in the Philippines.

I wonder, will the "new" store format also fix the years old glitch of Ebay relisting sold items?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Thu Apr 17 15:28:39 2014

@winklemebay -  You may be the first to make that accusation about me.

Perhaps you should spend more time on this site. Then you may stumble across some of my other posts. I try to call it as I see it - whether it is positive or negative.  Just been trying to respect others, not call names, etc...

It really gets old when anyone finds anything positive to say here that it becomes inevitable that someone will pop out and accuse that poster of being an eBay employee.  Seriously.  Old.

Only time that works is when David busts the real thing.

Oh, and thank you for the bass-ackwards compliment about my grammar.