Mon Apr 14 2014 18:36:39

eBay Buyer Likes PayPal's Pay after Delivery Option

By: Reader

Re: Article about PayPal Pay after Delivery

First, a big thank you for being an integral part of our online news and updates! I've been a member of Pay After Delivery for about 2 years now. For my personal buying habits and set monthly income flow, I find it a convenient payment alternative. And I say "alternative" because when I pass through eBay's checkout system, I have the options of other payment methods I've set up, if I so decide.

I have also successfully used this payment method for non-eBay sellers who accept PayPal.

PayPal has been very prompt in sending me reminder notices at least 48 hours prior to the actual deduction from my account, followed by updates when the deductions are taken. A couple of sellers sent me over-paid postage refunds, which were immediately deducted from the amount that I owed. Ditto a seller who refunded for an item I received broken.

From the sellers' viewpoint, there shouldn't be any problems. They're paid in full immediately, and any issues with the item or delivery are still covered under eBay's or PayPal's full buyer guarantee durations, as long as the buyer files in a timely manner.

My only bit of disgruntledness: PAD doesn't work when cashing in eBay Bucks.
Regards... and please keep up the good work!
Y.

eBay Buyer Likes PayPal's Pay after Delivery Optio   eBay Buyer Likes PayPal's Pay after Delivery Optio

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Apr 14 21:13:49 2014

PayPal: Pay After Delivery—LOL!

"We're always looking for ways to give you extra peace of mind and make you feel more secure when you shop online. That's why you can now choose Pay After Delivery at checkout. With Pay After Delivery purchases, we'll pay the seller straight away but will only request the money from your bank account 14 days later. This gives you the time to receive the item before you pay. If the item doesn't arrive or isn't what you expected, you're covered by PayPal Buyer Protection."

/PADLaunch-outside

This “way” is simply another “PreyPal” pea-and-thimble trick to try to get buyers to allow “PreyPal” the much cheaper access to buyers’ funds via “direct debit” on the payer’s bank account, rather than via a credit card. The problem is, if you do give “PreyPal” the authority to directly debit your bank account, as a buyer you then have absolutely no protection from “PreyPal”—and even buyers do at times still need protection from “PreyPal”. No protection from “PreyPal” is equally as bad as a buyer having no recourse to an unscrupulous merchant, recourse which you still do have from both an unscrupulous merchant and an unscrupulous “PreyPal” if you only allow “PreyPal” access to your funds via a credit card account …

The fact is, allowing “PreyPal” to source your funds ONLY from your credit card is your best, and probably only, chance of getting a fair moderation of a dispute if a transaction does go wrong; regardless, you should only give a “direct debit” authority to someone who can be trusted; the question then is who, in their right mind, would trust “PreyPal”? …

tween-paypal-and-itself.html?ref=thehaggler&_r=0

Fortunately, some of us can always tell when an eBay or "PreyPal" spokesperson is being disingenuous—their lips are moving! ... http://bit.ly/YvxFEg

This user has validated their user name. by: baconsdozen

Tue Apr 15 06:05:09 2014

I dont like my details being stord or used by anybody,as for trusting Paypal,never in a million years.

This user has validated their user name. by: jawarrior

Tue Apr 15 08:16:12 2014

I'm going to weigh in here as the devil's advocate - a refreshing change in this forum's normal eBay/PayPal vitriolic discourse.

It's an absolute fact that, in my 10 years working with PayPal as an eBay seller/buyer, PayPal has provided me with perfect service - really.  They have NEVER messed with my funds, never made financial errors and have never failed to provide me with truly excellent customer service from actual Americans whenever I've had reason to call.  How can I be the ONLY one?!?!

I've read many comments here referring to PayPal as ''PreyPal'' - offering up grassy knoll conspiracies of a company bent on treating its clients like crap while laughing in devilish delight.  Many complain about PayPal fees.  Ha!  Try establishing your own credit card bank merchant account and then you can tell me about fees!  I suppose PayPal should provide their services for free?

If PayPal were guilty of only 10% of the fiendish conspiratorial crimes it is accused of committing in this forum, they would have gone out of business long ago, and their management would have been perp-walked for all to see.

Nobody's perfect, and PayPal is no exception.  But, please, let's write more fact-based opinions here instead of emotion-driven caustic rants.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 08:50:41 2014

Still sounds like they are desperate for income.
The only reason they are doing this is because of their name is not to be trusted and /or to make money by not paying cc fees.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 09:33:32 2014

Jawarrior is right, having your own credit card account is very expensive. My last day job, we had one. The bank charged $50 a month - regardless of how many sales you did or did not have, and then the 3rd party online gateway processor had a monthly fee of $15 plus both had a percentage fee. Not to mention the international charges, etc.
Like Jawarrior, I have never had a problem with PayPal, never. In all of my online selling years, never a problem with them. I've had a few problems but called immediately and had all resolved in my favor as I was in the ''right'' with both of them. I don't agree with this Pay After business, it encourages people to spend what they don't have which is part of the pickle this country finds itself in. They keep inviting me to add Pay Later buttons to my listings but I choose not to. It sends a wrong message - as far as I am concerned. It's only my opinion, but that's how I feel.

by: cillianred This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 09:47:59 2014

jawarrior: I'll also go against the tide here and agree with you. I've been using Paypal for even longer than you and have never had any issues. I'm not saying others are lying. I know they're not. I know people have had serious issues with Paypal. But there are those of us out there who have been using Paypal for a very long time w/out any issues. AND, like jawarrior said, when I call paypal, I get a US citizen who not only speaks English as their first language, but also usually has some degree of intelligence and is actually able to not only understand my problem, but also HELP with the problem.

As for Paypal only doing something if it's to help Paypal....that's kind of a "duh" thing, isn't it?  We should never forget that Paypal is a company that is in the business of making money. They are NOT an altruistic company.

Do I like everything they do or all of their policies? Absolutely not. But that's true of any company/entity that I deal with on a regular basis. Seldom is there a "perfect" relationship, particularly in the business world.

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 09:59:23 2014

Jawarrior and others who have had no problems with Paypal,

You won't until you do.

I too was always thinking "What are these people talking about?"...Until they slapped the 21 day holds on me in 2011.

A year later, they jacked funds for ebay seller fees out of my bank account that caused some checks to bounce, even though I had left a balance for them to take in the actual Paypal account which was supposed to be their first option.

And then last year I got a negative when they refused to release shipping funds for a foreign transaction. Come ON.
I am not going to pay $70 out of pocket.

But yeah, it will go great for you, until it doesn't.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Apr 15 10:03:17 2014

jawarrior says: "I suppose PayPal should provide their services for free?" They used to for some payments. When I started selling on eBay, if you paid via your bank account, the transfer was free to buyers and sellers. Also, every seller got $100 every 30 days fee-free coming via credit cards. Then PayPal figured out that they were losing millions by not charging sellers fees when the payment was a direct transfer from the buyer's bank account. That's why whenever I pay for something with my credit card, I get this notice telling me it's cheaper for me (because of interest charges) to pay with my bank account, and am I sure I want to continue with a credit card?

And what about all those holds that are put on seller's funds for no reason? And I've had experience where I paid for something, and the whole or part was refunded, and it was days after the money was deducted from my bank account before I got the refund credited to my PayPal account. You know PayPal is making money on those held funds.

by: RichieC This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 10:12:38 2014

Just another gimmick!

There is no difference to how you pay, now or after! You pay, and have to open a claim, if you win you are refunded, if not you pay!

So in the end there is no difference at all, just another gimmick. So just hand over your cash!
they pay or how

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Tue Apr 15 12:01:41 2014

PayPal is great...until it isn't.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 13:21:03 2014

What happens if the buyer closes his bank account before paypal takes the money? Does the seller lose the money as well?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Apr 15 15:45:32 2014

@Bidonmine,

Although “PreyPal” is in the main licensed only as a “money transmitter” they are, by the nature of the way they do business, a short term supplier of credit; indeed when “PreyPal” approves a transaction and the merchant dispatches the goods, and then the payer’s real bank the following day reverses PayPal’s direct debit (or “PreyPal” has allowed a fraudulent use of a credit card—see above “Web Site” link), “PreyPal” will want to try to grab those funds back from the merchant; this situation cannot arise if the buyer is paying only via a credit card (the transaction will be immediately approved, or declined, by the card company; and this is why “PreyPal” still wants a buyer’s credit card in addition to their bank account so that they can try the credit card if a direct debit is reversed); same situation if a payer has closed their bank account; “PreyPal” will only get notice of that the following day when their direct debit “bounces” …

Ultimately, this is the difference between dealing with the professionals (the real banks/MasterCard/Visa) and the unprofessional middleman “PreyPal”—you get what you pay for …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: ejholden This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 15 17:57:03 2014

PAD is probably an ebay directive as a result of ebay's Pay Now or Lose It policy.
ebay are undoubtedly receiving complaints from disgruntled buyers who bought before a listing ended but needed to wait 'till next payday to pay.
PAD gives the CSO's something to recommend and extoll to appease those buyers.

Also, there are 1000's of good trades completed with Paypal each day. There is also quite a few that go wrong.
Paypal is trying to implement seller protection, but if the result goes against a buyer who has used a credit card and the buyer doesn't like it, then Paypal is at the mercy of Visa (et al) chargebacks.
So, besides reducing the fee outflow to the C/C companies, they are also instituting a Paypal Protection Program.

It's quite clever too. They are not actually providing/extending credit, just extending the payment period at no charge.
It gives the buyer the impression of a free escrow  service, but without any real guarantees.

Quite clever .... but insidious.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Apr 15 18:29:46 2014

And with PAD they are effectively providing the buyer with credit which they never used to be licensed to do; then, credit-providing regulations have never stopped them doing anything that they wanted to do before, so they have probably developed a work-around for that restriction also ...

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

by: Cassie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 00:38:01 2014

I personally don't mind a buyer's payment due failed delivery..I invest in shipping insurance plus other features as a seller it is one less chore returning funds amendment non-delivery. I just wish paypal was a bit more data secure and included better tracking real-time then delay reporting.

It boils down the money Paypal & eBay is second class to third class service options yet market they're first rate versus an individual operating their own site...

They charge sufficient fees to cover better selling and/or buyer security but too greedy or too investor profit driven their own good to ride out any continuity issues......hence I only consider them for what they are a on-line public classified platform expense to generate more business to more core operations plus recruit tested customer base. The same applies with etsy and amazon.

I mean come on everyone knows if you planned and prepared well business wise anyone can operate a 1.5% to 3% operating cost for every $100K earned   with a dot com pending how hands on you are.

The most expensive part is set-up usually equates $50k  and 1/3 in upgrades annually but with the volume buyer + seller activity paypal & ebay has enabled them recoup operational expenses huge return...so toward the point a dot com owner looks as a end retailer with a convoy middle agent mark-ups versus they're operate as direct no middle man fee mass entanglements...

I hope towards self hosting/supporting my own business servers in several years!

by: Cassie This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 00:49:27 2014

This move buyer confidence it is all to hedge issues of consumer fear Target data breach and heartbleed....

As well shopping own business insurance features there are insurance plans for business self insure their customers from data or liability issues or etc, up to $10k per customer as my assumption that paypal has done but one twist they're offering percentage this per volume customers if issues arise they collect insurance per loss and the buyer recoups only lesser percentage as the seller recoups the rest for the buyer.....hence any loss paypal and/or eBay profits ka-ching $$

by: Oldguy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 08:21:15 2014

As usual, the small sellers are going to get screwed.
This gets a strong foothold, then ebay will say ''wait'' for your funds to be released after the buyer is ''happy''

by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 09:40:00 2014

@Oldguy,
Amen to that, you can see the writing on the wall.  In additon, the non-buyer will be able to leave low DSR's.

@jawarrior,
I'm tired of defending myself because I have been unfairly victimized by Paypal and their 21 day holds.  At the time I'd been on Ebay about 12 years & got low DSR's from 3 newbie buyers - each left FB that they loved the item & then left a set of 4 - 1's!  So, Ebay treats their opinion like it's GOLD, while the reputation I'd worked hard to EARN was destroyed for a whole YEAR by these newbie buyers who hadn't a clue.  Then Ebay TOLD Paypal to hold my funds.  That's when I became a hater of Paypal.  I have had no oher bad transactions with them, but I trust them as much as I do Ebay, which is not at all.  Trust is earned and if this happened to you, you would no longer trust Paypal either.

Paypal is great....until it isn't - that's the perfect comment!

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 16 17:40:24 2014

"Many complain about PayPal fees.  Ha!  Try establishing your own credit card bank merchant account and then you can tell me about fees!  I suppose PayPal should provide their services for free?"

some of us still remember what paypal's slogan was when they first started....  "Always Free!"  "Always" didn't last that long...  first it was a percentage of the transaction... then it was a percentage plus .30...  then it was if you refund the transaction, we will still keep the transaction fee.