Fri Apr 4 2014 11:15:57

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

By: Reader

I did some reading on your site and don't see any talk lately about low Amazon sales volume. For me lately Amazon sales have been the lowest in 2 or 3 years.

I ought to be selling lots as I have low price in almost every category and product I sell. Is this so for other amazon sellers? I really can't just call up my competitors and ask them... hahha.

The last 4 or 5 days sales volume report function on Amazon is not even working.
Ted

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 4 14:02:59 2014

Amazon is at usual levels- low but usual.  Up 5% for the year.  eBay is a ghost-town. Down 20% for the year and like 40% over the past month.  This with 15,000 items on each venue.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 5 16:21:18 2014

About three weeks ago I put my used Call Blocker on Amazon at about half the price.  I expected it to be snatched up in a day or two but it took a full three weeks to sell it.  I guess that's kind of an indication that sales are slumping on Amazon.  That was a hot item that is generally out of stock.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sat Apr 5 17:03:00 2014

"Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales"

A beta test of Amazon trying to imitate eBay?

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Sat Apr 5 18:05:34 2014

Amazon trying to be eBay and eBay trying to be Amazon. How ridiculous is that?! Both thinking the grass is greener on the other side but not realizing it is crap grass and weeds due to their greed and neglect. Meanwhile both had the golden goose and let that goose slip away. Amazon I believe can still save the goose but eBay not so much.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 6 00:05:28 2014

Sales are really low on Amazon. The only thing I can think of is the many new sellers that dropped ebay?
Have to play the game race to the bottom??? Hurts sellers - helps Amazon.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Apr 6 08:29:07 2014

--- ''Have to play the game race to the bottom???''

That's a game I won't play. That's where I draw the line. I offer a fair price and great service (before and AFTER the sale.)

Customers get what they pay for... and I've decided that the ''bottom-feeders'' really aren't the type of customers that I want to deal with.

They're much more demanding (and a lot less patient and forgiving) than those customers who see value in the overall product and service that I provide.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 6 21:49:06 2014

I bet if Amazon offered a true Small Seller area that did not depend on you having access to a warehouse of widgets or shipping off your stock to them to sit in THEIR warehouses they would pick up both a LOT of buyers AND sellers.

ALL of whom had formerly been selling--um-listing--on ebay.

One of a kind and vintage and motors and collectors items--these are what made ebay and could add a substantial  amount of revenue to Amazon.  But----

Creepy both ways.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 6 23:54:35 2014

If the original poster were on the ecrater forum with that question, we could go look at his store/listings and give him some advice from our observations. Here though, all we can do is guess. I have not noticed less sales on Amazon but then my listings are increasing and I'm selling more in consequence.

He mentioned having the lowest price, but that isn't what always sells the item. What is his feedback score? Does he offer 1 day shipping and expedited shipping? Does he actually describe what he is selling and the actual condition? The other day I sold something on Amazon while I was on line and could check quickly before there was time for many new listings on that catalog page. I had the MOST expensive item listed with the lowest price more than half of mine. I however was the only seller with 100% feedback, 1 day shipping, expedited shipping although the customer didn't buy that, and an individual description of the item being sold, not depending on the 'thousands of satisfied customers' type of blurb many try to get away with. For what I sell, people tend to want that personal connection and I give that to them. I get the buy box a lot even though I don't use FBA which someone on another discussion implied was the only way to get the buy box. So if whatever you are doing to sell things on Amazon, are you being the best seller you can be or just doing the least you can get away with and hoping for stellar results. When you list something and the catalog page isn't complete, do you take the time to update it? I know I do with every listing. It may be helping out other sellers, but it can also help me especially if I have items in quantity on that page.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: TIDSdp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 01:05:45 2014

YES YES & YES.

To address some of your questions.
17,000 skus (5000 active)
99% Feedback over 30,000 fb's
With Amazon for over a decade (yep, one of the originals).

Sales were off 50% 2013 from 2012.... (okay so it's the economy, more sellers, etc. etc.)....

2014 is 60% off 2013.

Yes, we are an FBAer on over 3000 skus. only 2000 from our warehouse.

Items in almost every dept with empahsis in clothing.

Are sales off?  Worst Ever!

Are we well priced with Great 24/7 Service? Yes

Are we offering Expedited shipping? (over 3000 items Prime)..

So with your question are Amazon sales off?  Yes!!!!!

Ebay, however is running par to up 15% (depending upon week) - Same selections.

Sears - consistent.

.................... So what do you think the problem is?

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: retrolink This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 05:05:12 2014

a few things here. yesterday with 19000 media items online .selling since the beginning-1998. with 99% feedback We hit a new milestone.never happened before ..we had '0' sales on sunday with Amazon. I am hoping it was a glitch.
      As far as a few other comments here I  also agree with agree with 'Anonymous Annie ' about the race to the bottom and the bottom feeders on Amazon. The customers are getting worse and worse. demanding, accusing. This issue with the customer attitude is mostly not on ebay,alibris or b and n just amazon.And usually on the lower priced sales.
       I also notice that I am having more and more listings being screwed up on Amazon . Two days ago i had to void a sale because the isbn i put in put up a wrong book  on the amazon site..which is not the consumer ordered. Other sites had the right isbn. Most likely Amazon changed the isbn and book match inadvertently. Then one same day I also sold a vhs.Which Amazon clearly said correctly was a vhs in the top decsription, next the the item name but then if you go into details it says numbers of discs [1]. So the idiot working at amazon calls a vhs a disc.
      TIDSdp also mentioned ebay doing ok. I notice my ebay sales are double what they usually are. With dvd,vhs and cd  sales it could be because customers found Amazons $3.99 postage vs ebays $2.99 postage was better.
     A long time seller here is very concerned and for the first time in a long time am thinking about additional alternatives for income. Hopefully for third party smaller sellers the party is 'not' over.

' the force will be with us'

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 08:18:00 2014

I envy the seller who only very recently had zero sales at eBay. My 18 year eBay business as a small seller ended with Cassini and never  came back.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: sellerfish This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 10:48:12 2014

Amazon truly does suck worse than eBay.
FBA on anything over 13oz is a joke.
High priced item fees are WAY more.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Apr 7 10:59:42 2014

Annie summed it up very nicely--my thoughts exactly!

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 18:02:51 2014

Comet said:
''I don't understand the twisted logic of EITHER Amazon or ebay---one feels that there are billions and billions of sellers waiting at the gates frothing at the mouth to become ebay millionaires and the other feels that the world depends on them having widgets in every color in a box near your house before you even know such widgets exist and that you can't live another moment with out them.

Creepy both ways.''

Hahaha.  Comet. Hahaha.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 18:54:34 2014

I quit Amazon after my 2nd fake A-z claim. They refund the buyer immediately and you are left without your goods.
Want it for free ?  Buy it on Amazon and File an A-z claim.
3p selling sites are going to hell. The only thing you can depend on is your standalone web site.  Ebay is still trying to be the worst site for sellers,
but Amazon and the A-z claim scam
so far is winning the race to the bottom for sellers.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 7 18:57:27 2014

PS: Sales sucked on Amazon.....and the
Amazon spreadsheet interface with UPC codes  is time black hole.....for sellers.

Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales   Seller Reports Low Amazon Sales

by: Eyedeal This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 9 06:38:51 2014

My sales on Amazon about the same as last year BUT that is because I noticed I get sales when I either:
List New Items
Lower the Shipping Price
Lower the selling price
But if I wasn't changing and adding items my sales would be way down.
Amazon doesn't allow anyone to decide on the description, title, shipping amount, picture, etc.  Oh you can put up all that information, a new seller comes along and their information is now the new title and description.  Only when I am the buy box winner then MOST but not all my information is showing.
The only way to keep your shipping price is to send in these very long detailed spread sheets and then if someone buys more than one item, it isn't combined as a total but each shipping fee is added individually.
You do get to decide on your price.
And yes Race To The Bottom is the Name of the game. I won't play either.
Amazon hasn't made a lot of changes (in the 6 years I have sold on Amazon) BUT now they seem to be competing w/ebay for changing everything all the time.
The newest change is any item listed for less than $6.61 will not be charged the usual (well in my category 15%) but $1.00 which can bring up your percentage to 20%.
Last thing: The listing process is getting really difficult, there are items I try to list even with the correct UPS code and still the item comes back: Is this the item you are selling? The item is as different as selling a dog figurine matched to an Elephant figurine. Sometimes I list something and when I click on submit it just all disappears. POOF! Then I cannot list that item ever.  Why? I stopped trying to guess.

Rant off