Tue Apr 1 2014 21:36:38

Canadian Shopper Objects to US eBay Global Shipping Program

By: Reader

Being a resident of Ontario, Canada, it irks me to no end when I am shopping on eBay and run across a US seller who uses the Global Shipping Program.

I buy and sell vintage movie memorabilia. ALL of it is paper. Photographs, posters, pressbooks, autographs etc.

Little does eBay and Pitney Bowes know (someone didn't do their homework) that ALL paper that is 50 years old or more is DUTY FREE. Here's a link for proof.

When I have a seller send me items I always make sure they list on the customs label 50 YEAR OLD ANTIQUE PAPER. Any customs agent with a degree will know that this can be brought into the country without duty charges.

How the hell can eBay get away with this highway robbery? Someone needs to challenge them!

eBay needs to put filters in several categories exempting ALL paper goods that are 50 years old or older. This includes books, comics, prints, maps, and the list goes on.

And to be honest, before this silly GSP ever started, we RARELY got nailed for any duties and taxes to begin with on incoming parcels from the states.

When I see a seller hooked up to the GSP I just move on - they've lost my biz and probably all buyers outside of the U.S.
D'Arcy

Canadian Shopper Objects to US eBay Global Shippin   Canadian Shopper Objects to US eBay Global Shippin

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Apr 1 22:17:51 2014

OP asks: " How the hell can eBay get away with this highway robbery? "

Several reasons...

1) eBay management has zero experience as buyers or sellers so they are completely ignorant.

2) The MBA's running eBay are arrogant, and believe that they are entitled to an additional profit on transactions which is why they push them through the  GSP.

3) eBay's culture of corporate arrogance leads them to believe their one size fits all policies truly fit every possible situation, and are willing to sacrifice business when one size fits all does not apply.

Management does not see it, but this company is ripe for being gutted when .11 Main opens their doors to the public, and their long overdue comeuppance is coming sooner than they care to believe.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 1 22:25:45 2014

The answer is simple and quite neatly characterizes how the ethics free ebay MBAs operate.

They don't at all whether 50 year old paper is duty free or not.

What they do care about is generating (aka stealing in this case) revenue through the GSP.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 1 23:46:25 2014

All you need to do is email the seller and ask if they'll sell to you directly.  I've now opted out of GSP but before that I'd opt out for my Canadian customers.  I had to make a call to CS to get it the item taken out of GSP so I could sell to them normally, but it was much easier for both of us.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Apr 2 06:46:17 2014

Ric states " The MBA's running eBay are arrogant, and believe that they are entitled to an additional profit on transactions which is why they push them through the  GSP."

And yet they are insistent that a seller not make any profit off of shipping.  Oh the irony.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Apr 2 06:50:35 2014

SparklyEyes7 says "All you need to do is email the seller and ask if they'll sell to you directly."

Correct me if I'm wrong SparklyEyes7, but isn't that against eBay policy? Would that not constitute an off-eBay transaction which would be grounds for your account to be cancelled?

Now if you are asking if they will ask the seller would he/she remove the shipping via GSP from the listing I'm guessing that is possible.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 09:57:18 2014

Give everyone a break.

Ebay opted *every seller* into GSP. There were no questions asked, nothing, it was part of the click through of the new *user agreement*.  Is that the seller's fault? No, it's ebay inc's. fault.

So now there are millions of ebay sellers who are inadvertently opted in to GSP.  I'd say 99% don't know it.

After this incident all our accounts were opted in without our agreement, remember, we were not asked, we didn't get the opportunity to say no, and it took 72 hours to opt out.

Is that legitimate behavior for a business ''partner'' like ebay inc?  No, it's not.  But you can't blame the seller.

About GSP, we discussed it here in the office. If someone from a foreign country is willing to pay $110 to get one of our $200 items, wouldn't we want to make that money?  Of course we would.  We wouldn't give that revenue to ebay or Pitney Bowes. We's ship it ourselves.

BTW, we do charge for packing, for shipping, plus an extra $25 for export. It's rightfully a revenue source for us just like it is for ebay with GSP.  You do not have to lose money, and it does not need to be revenue neutral.  It's a profit center.

Everything a business does should be a profit center. That's why we do this every day.

BTW, David, can you please make this comment composition box bigger?  Please?

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Wed Apr 2 10:44:43 2014

Steevo,

What browser / version are you using?

The latest versions of FireFox and Chrome allow you to stretch out the text fields to virtually any size you'd like.

David Steiner

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 10:54:57 2014

From the view of a part-time hobby seller; I like the GSP program. I am a long time seller on Ebay. In 2008 I completely eliminated offering (mostly fixed price) OAK items Internationally. These were 5% of my total sales and 50% of "my problem transactions". Besides "mark this as a gift" requests; customs problems with purchases of country prohibited items (WWII History book with Nazis Swastika photos to France (seized by customs); WWII History book with photos of Japanese War Crimes to Singapore (returned by customs); used costume jewelry to Italy (seized by customs ). Two well packed insured glass/china sales to arrived broken to buyers (I suspect after Customs inspection they were not repackaged properly) and that USPS insurance ONLY covered lost NOT damaged packages. I offered buyers offered fast (expensive) and slower (less expensive) shipping; most choose less expensive and then complained about shipping time. Several packages were just "lost?".

This February I decided to sell vintage postcards that I had sitting for long time. I was sure they would sell for more money in Canada. I signed into the GSP. These postcards (listed as auctions) showed a shipping cost, Pitney Bowes fee, Customs total of $18. Several Canadian buyers told me usually their total cost was $5 for shipping; another offered me what seemed like reasonable amount to end auction and ship first class mail. Postcards sold a twice the offered amount to the buyer offering what I thought was a reasonable amount (plus the Pitney Bowes fees). Buyer left me positive feedback. Since then I have had four other GSP sales (2 Canada, England and Japan) of items I have had for sale for six months or more in USA only.
It is so easy ship to Kentucky - just like a regular US sale with some loss protection. Why should a seller always be required to provide the LOWEST shipping cost? Buyers see the total price if it is too high do not buy. As a seller any GSP sales I get are no hassle extras. I do not have to know about worldwide customs rules; I would not know about vintage paper (over 50 years old) exemption to Canada without reading this.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 13:39:06 2014

Rexford

No, I don't sell off eBay, although I'm not opposed to as I build my customer base.  ;)

But for these Canadian customers, I just had to call CS to get their sale out of GSP so I could sell to them as if they were a US customer.

by: SparklyEyes7 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 13:43:04 2014

What I didn't like about the GSP was the lack of ability to combine multiple orders.  I sell fragile and often times heavy items and CS told me there was no way to combine multiple sales into one shipment.  If they can do that with US buyers, why not foreign  buyers?  I wasted more time talking with US-based CS reps to make it worth my while.

by: pebbles This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 23:19:13 2014

You can be opted in to the Global program and not actually use it. Simply choose your additional shipping options per country if you choose. Buyers can choose to ship through you or eBay. Walah!

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Wed Apr 2 23:21:54 2014

The Global Shipping program makes no sense for less expensive or light weight items. It costs less to ship stamps or color slides to Canada by first class mail than to ship a 2 ounce first class parcel (with tracking) in the United States. Worst case, more remote countries cost only 2 cents more.

I am selling some material where I am the copyright holder. I would not want or allow a third party to resell undelivered items on behalf of eBay. The program is flawed, but could be useful in selected circumstances. However, not returning undelivered items is a deal breaker.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 2 23:27:12 2014

Well that is interesting to know about that 50 year rule. Would that hold for paper sewing patterns as well?

I don't sell on ebay, so have no clue what the GSP is about. I know when I ship internationally my stuff goes based on weight with an endicia postage/custom label. No hassle. I don't understand why ebay sellers let ebay take their postage options out of their own hands. I take it they can't turn off the GSP?

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 09:40:33 2014

David, I am using Chrome for ecommercebytes and sure enough, the box is now resizeable. I think you made the default a little larger too.  Thanks!

The reason I downloaded Chrome was specifically because of the allegations here of cross site leakage letting ebay know I posted here and giving my account on ebay some extra attention.  I have no idea if that's true or not but I now have split my activities online among three browsers.  Heh. Ridiculous.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 09:42:09 2014

David,
As long as we are discussing website stuff, how about PMs in this forum?  I'd like to be able to PM some of my ecommercebytes friends.

Smart people among bloggers, as i have mentioned.

This user has validated their user name. by: Mark Grohman

Thu Apr 3 10:10:12 2014

From a quality management perspective, eBay really has loss sight of the Voice of the Customer and their market shares are suffering as a consequence.

Now if only they were wise enough to change their course....

Mark Grohman, PMP, LSSBB, MCP

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 10:51:20 2014

This is about money, lots of money, and it will not be going away.  Just like Paypal and the final value fee on shipping, this is about money going into eBay’s pocket.

Global Shipping Program could be a positive experience in eBay’s world, an opportunity to decrease international shipping costs and increase sales and profits for sellers and eBay.  But as we know all too well, eBay wants it all!  Every last dime in the sellers and buyers pockets.

My international business was killed with the 2013 postal increases on international packages.  However, those lucky sellers with light weight packages that can be mailed internationally at a reasonable cost will all be forced into the Global Shipping Program in the near future to face loss of sales due to GSP’s unreasonably high charges.   A ten dollar shipping charge turned into 80 bucks - why not!

Another golden goose slaughtered by those “cracker jack” sharp MBA’s in eBay’s imperial palaces.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 11:15:06 2014

RE: "Two well-packed insured glass/china sales to arrived broken to buyers (I suspect after Customs inspection they were not repackaged properly)"
You are correct.  Look on your tracking records for WEIGHT registers from each point of origin, this will show where half of your packaging was just dumped as it didn't fit back into the box after Customs rifled through the box!  This happened to a friend...she noticed that a weighed package arrived at one check point but left several ounces lighter....  And there was nothing she could do about it!  Some countries have no laws against this, be careful to which countries you ship!!

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 11:17:05 2014

"My international business was killed with the 2013 postal increases on international packages"
Since I am in Canada ALL of my business died with postal increases!!  It costs me $34 to send anything off-continent if I follow the rules PayPal has outlined!  Nobody will pay that, nobody!!

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 3 11:23:12 2014

"But for these Canadian customers, I just had to call CS to get their sale out of GSP so I could sell to them as if they were a US customer"
I learned upon my FIRST attempted purchase to have my account changed from Canada to US as the ass from whom I bought something REFUSED to acknowledge that I also had a US address & REFUSED to ship!!  (after jacking the shipping up to $9,999,999 and ignring my emails for 10 days just to be an asshat)
eBay reps changed my account to US and I have no further issues!!  I'm in the US at least once a week in case anyone wants to raise a stink over this!!