Sat Mar 29 2014 12:16:35

eBay Won't Fix Errors Made in Handing Out MC999 Violations

By: Reader

I am writing in regards to all of the talk about eBay prohibited/ restricted items lately. Unfortunately, I have seen this first hand here of late. I have had 2 items taken down with the MC999 Listing Policy Violation alert in the past week and a half.

My first occurrence was with my miniature toy cap guns that I listed. I had a bunch of them in an auction and they were all orange blaze and up to code with eBay policy. I even read the policy before and after I listed them and checked everything off. Well a few days later I had a MC999 alert that they had been taken down. The reasoning: They could be concealed as a knife..... A KNIFE. I wasn't even listing any knifes or anything even close! I was listing miniature toy cap guns!

I knew this had to be an error so I called eBay and talked to 3 reps...who all confirmed that it had to be an error as well. They submitted an appeal and I was to hear back with 72 hours. Well after 6 or 7 days I finally called and asked what was going on. Sure enough, the case had already been decided and no one called me or sent an email or anything. The Policy team decided to stick with their original decision on the matter even though I wasn't listing any knives!

What?? How does that even make any bit of sense??

Their suggestion to me was to not list anything like this again and just do other things! Even though they have categories for it and rules to go by for them! I was just amazed. I told them that this will go against me and my record and they said that I would be monitored and if I tried to list it again or anything like it that I could be suspended, etc.!!

My next occurrence happened just tonight. I ran across a collection of toy trains. So I have been listing some here over the past few days. So while I was working tonight I received yet another MC999 violation alert. This time for Brand Name Misuse. They said I used Lionel/American Flyer in my listing title when my title was for a Marx O/027 Gauge Steam Engine Locomotive!! No Lionel or American Flyer at all!!!

It was too late to call them on this one tonight, so it will have to wait until the morning. I don't think I even want to know what they could possibly say on this one. Did eBay think that I was listing something I wasn't or assume that I did not know what I was talking about? Maybe they read my mind while I was listing and the word Lionel was in my head and they took that as my title?? At this point, I am pretty much at a loss.

How can we as sellers list items up to eBay rules and regulations, when those rules and regulations are bent/broken/chopped up/made up/whatever else. What do I do???
Sincerely,
Hopeless eBay Romantic

eBay Won't Fix Errors Made in Handing Out MC999 Vi   eBay Won't Fix Errors Made in Handing Out MC999 Vi

This user has validated their user name. by: MeTech

Sat Mar 29 13:30:01 2014

This happened to me a while ago.
I listed two items and later had them removed with violations.

The reason was that I did not use the catalog and it was mandatory.
I told the rep that the catalog information was wrong and also had
the wrong picture. This was an computer item and the information was
important for the buyer yet their catalog had misleading information
and image.They refused to remove the violation and stated not
to list it or use the catalog. Various times I called and was told the
catalog information would be fixed. This was never done and the items
never got listed again. I sold them elsewhere for more.

Do not expect them to cooperate with you.
Expect nothing and when you get something you will be surprised.

What the hell kind of company is this?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sat Mar 29 14:25:45 2014

Once you come to terms with the fact that, as Meg apparently once said, “a monkey could drive this train”, and indeed lobotomized monkeys ARE staffing, and driving, this train, and doing the software engineering too, you should have no more surprises …

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking ... http://bit.ly/11F2eas

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat Mar 29 14:52:34 2014

OP....

Going against the grain with this, but...

The person you need to contact here is Jim Griffith.

I while back, I had some listings removed with MC999 notices due to conflicts with eBay's catalog. These listings were likely ( but eBay would not confirm) to have been reported by a competitor selling the same items who's entire motivation was to eliminate competition.

In my case, it turned out that eBay's catalog had incorrect data, and as such the take downs were incorrect since my listing descriptions were 100% accurate.

eBay customer service reps were completely unable to understand why the takedowns were wrong.

I wrote a detailed letter to Jim Griffith ( jgriffit@ebay.com ), with complete details: copies of the MC999 notices, listing numbers, the reason the catalog data was incorrect, and described how eBay customer service was unable or unwilling to understand the problem and would not offer a solution.

Griff reviewed the details, bypassed eBay customer service and forwarded my letter directly to the teams responsible for addressing the issues leading to the takedowns and to the team responsible for reviewing the incorrect violations that I had been cited with.

As a result, eBay's catalog details were corrected.

The multiple MC999 violations were deleted from my account and my account was cleared of the violations.

Jim Griffith takes a lot of heat (justifiably) for parroting eBay's policies and system changes as he tows the company line, but for issues like this, he is a sellers last hope.

Contact him with listing numbers, along with full and complete details, including the specifics of your multiple contacts with customer service.

If your explanation clearly demonstrates that you followed eBay policy to the letter, and if the takedowns were done in error, you just might get some satisfaction.

Good luck.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sat Mar 29 17:32:45 2014

"What the hell kind of company is this?"

Why it's eBay, the world's marketplace...  :o)

Only sellers are defective.

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sat Mar 29 18:12:46 2014

Recently listed some lightly used items on an account that I did not think were cosmetic items, at least they were not listed as such in the fine print in the past when I researched it. At some point since, it apparently became termed ''cosmetic'' since I got the ''no-no'' email and the listings were taken down.

I was surprised as this is something I see sell as a used item on eBay quite often. I just did a search and over 800 of these items marked ''used'' came up in the search as live listings.

To rub it in, one day after eBay took them down they sent me a promotional email featuring - guess what - some of these items and when I clicked on the predominant photos, listed as ''used''.

Somewhere out there, villages are searching for their missing idiots.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat Mar 29 23:20:33 2014

Q: ''What the hell kind of company is this?''

A: One that smart sellers should avoid.

Why would any seller voluntarily submit to this type of abuse? I was one of the ones who thought that eBay was the ''only game in town'' and I was too paralyzed with fear to leave.

Imagine my surprise and delight to discover that in the REAL WORLD of ecommerce, things are MUCH different. For me, selling online is so much EASIER and much more PROFITABLE than ever! EVER!!

Nicer customers, less demanding, less irrational. And when something is delayed or a mistake is made... the ''real world'' customers are more understanding, sympathetic and forgiving.

Unlike the bottom feeders that eBay is known for, the real-world customers SPEND MORE too! --- They know that a fair price and excellent service is worth MORE than the absolutely lowest price.

My listings are MY listings... my photos are MY photos! No changing rules, no having to re-list and re-list and re-write descriptions. No take-downs. No category/catalog requirements or violations to deal with.

No prohibitions on what I can or cannot sell! No threats to punish me if I do sell what I want to sell.

Folks, it's a totally different world out here. Live outside of the eBay Bubble is SO much nicer than I imagined it would be!

Truthfully, I probably work harder than before... but it's a GOOD ''working harder'' because it's ALWAYS making progress. (I don't feel as though I'm spinning my wheels or constantly running up against a brick-wall.)

I know that being eBay-free isn't for everyone... but stories like the one that the OP shared should help to convince those who are ABLE and WILLING to give it a try, and to test the waters.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 30 21:11:17 2014

WAIT! eBays VERO dept DOESNT know the laws and how they work?!

Say it isnt so!

Oh wait - Ive been saying so for the last 10 yrs - except N ONE listens.

There is no legal or illegal on eBay, its simply Pay for Play.

eBay doesnt know trademark law, copyright law, parallel import law, or anything else.

All you have to do is either bribe them (verowatch.com)or threaten them (Denon, Casio, Bose, Prada, Skullcandy etc) and you get your way.

Remember Mings law - ALWAYS follow the money. On eBay nothig is illegal if you offer up jet fuel for the Lear.

by: GypsyWitch This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 30 23:02:59 2014

ANONYMOUS ANNIE:

PLEASE tell me what site you're selling on!!!!! I need to change.........ebay is getting crazier & more out of hand everyday!!!!!

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 30 23:48:31 2014

Just had one of these--did NOT have any other brand names in title--however--ALL of my listings have the SAME list of "I also have these items for sale----XYZ; ABC; 123;   etc.

So in one way I guess that this COULD be a "violation"  but---there SHOULD be some way to SELF PROMOTE your other ebay items---isn't this a GOOD thing for both the SELLER and ebay????   Win win?

AS usual this makes no SENSE and is Business As Usual at the company at this very moment vying for the winning vote in WORLDS WORST COMPANIES.  They are pretty highly ranked too! Place your bets!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Sun Mar 30 23:58:43 2014

We got delisted 4 items because the title contained the main brand name but because it was a sub-brand, we were told that it cannot include the main brand, like saying a Ford Focus cannot be called Ford, only Focus. The person we got on the phone to talk about this unfair mistake was incredible ignorant and rude, she didn't help and in her ignorant mind she acted as if she knew more about our products than we do. That is one of eBay's biggest problems, when lazy or ignorant, just be rude and make up you own policy.

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Mon Mar 31 00:00:20 2014

By the way, I was really looking forward to start on 11main.com but it looks like they are going to be a disaster company, totally disorganized. It is a real pity.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 31 05:44:51 2014

It's ebay... what did you expect???

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 31 07:56:19 2014

ebay reps are taught to say WHATEVER they THINK sounds good enough, and when you point out how what they said makes NO SENSE and defies law,ebay rules etc they resort to "To bad that is the way it is".  No appeal no nothing.

ebay is NEVER going to get better, it has proven over the last 6+ years it is only going to continue getting WORSE!

EVERY change they announce that sounds like it is getting better ALWAYS turns out to be a complete FRAUD!

Just look at their latest one with DSRS.  This is ebays MO, all they know how to do is LIE,CHEAT,SCAM and SPIN.

Truth, honesty, ethics, integrity, transparency,loyalty etc are NOT in their DNA.

by: JoyfulA This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 31 10:22:56 2014

To Gypsy Witch, Anonymous Annie set up her own website. She wrote about it in detail while she was doing it, and you may be able to find her comments in ECommerceBytes files.

by: VintageLady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 31 10:24:58 2014

I was delisted a few years back for using the word MOD (as in the fashion trend and style of the 60s). It was said to infringe upon the rights of the modern brand MODCLOTH (never heard of it until then, it was n obscure, recently opened website/company selling off the internet. Thinking about it, MODCLOTH infringed upon the MOD trend, maybe someone should have gotten them in hot waters)
At the time, eBay had the category MOD in the drop down vintage menu, there were thousands of active listings using the word, yet...
Needless to say I never heard a word of apology or any retribution or at least a simple proof of common decency to accept responsibility for that monumental blunder. Now, when I am out of that mad circuit, all I remember actually from that experience, was that I (for the first time) had the guts to use the word ''stupid'' in my rhaetoric with eBay reps. Felt good:)

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Mar 31 12:53:51 2014

@GypsyWitch ... I learned the ropes on eBay, and now I'm selling exclusively on my own ecommerce site. My own server from Godaddy using ''off-the-shelf'' self-hosted shopping cart software.

After tasting freedom, I can't imagine EVER going back to any venue again. Even if it was a venue that was a fun as eBay used to be, the freedom and flexibility is just too nice to give up. (Especially since my husband is a programmer, and he's been able to tweak and modify the shopping cart features to accommodate my specific needs.)

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 31 14:52:07 2014

YOU ARE GUILTY BEFORE PROVING YOURSELF INNOCENT as a seller on ebay.
MH

by: wcedar This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 4 10:08:08 2014

I recently this week had 4 or 5 cancellations mc999 on ebay. the guy claiming to be copyright holder got several auctions cancels  FOR WHICH HE IS NOT THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER.
Other example guilty before innocents is proven.  my ad states "observe your business". that ad killed as he has "patented"  (no proof) "business observer". other ad killed where my ad stated your business is observable. (not in auction title) but in auction text!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Fri Apr 4 10:48:56 2014

There's a couple patent cases before the Supremes again.

One involves vague language in patents - we'll see how the patent trolls come out.

This user has validated their user name. by: Leafgreen

Wed Apr 23 23:11:41 2014

Hey Ric: I emailed Jim Griffith at exactly that email address (copied and pasted). No reply for 8 days. Any suggestions?