Sun Mar 9 2014 17:13:46

Reader Warns, Beware of Spoof PayPal Emails

By: Reader

I have just received a spoof email. They tried to gain access to my PayPal account.

Please make your readers aware that the email address looks almost real. I noticed that they spelled PayPal as PayPall - 2 L's

I hope this helps.
Ollie

Reader Warns, Beware of Spoof PayPal Emails   Reader Warns, Beware of Spoof PayPal Emails

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Mar 9 18:34:39 2014

PayPall is a more appropriate name.

Pall Noun:
"anything that covers, shrouds, or overspreads, especially with darkness or gloom."

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Mar 9 23:42:51 2014

I thought it was common knowledge that you never, NEVER, click on a link in an e-mail that would require you to sign in on a site with a password.

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 9 23:43:11 2014

oooooooooooooooh!  Creepy, ain't it?

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 10 00:30:20 2014

I got one and forwarded it to spoof@paypal. I wish I had a way to send back a reply that would fry their hardware. And of course, it came through Yahoo bulk email as do so many of the con games that comes into a person's email box.

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 10 00:40:06 2014

This has been going on for years. I never click on any message supposedly coming from Ebay or PayPal unless I am expecting one.

If I open what I believe is a legitimate one I never click on any links.

I have had this address for quite a while and receive a ton of spam, phising emails and the occasional virus. The senders are added to the spam filter and I rarely see one anymore.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 10 09:51:06 2014

I thought I read somewhere that paypal never sends you an email.

I use to get them all the time. You should send them to spoof@paypal, however, I really doubt it went anywhere but the junk file.
Funny thing is when I stopped my  ebay account and paypal account, those emails also stopped.  Makes you wonder who was sending them to start with?????

by: That Guy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 10 10:24:01 2014

I used to forward them to spoof@paypal.com until one day yahoo froze my email address for sending spam. Now I just delete them.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 10 11:17:00 2014

Definitely nothing new here.

One way to cut down on the amount of eBay/PayPal scam spam is to have one email account dedicated to eBay business and _nothing_ else. At all. No email to and from relatives, no links to fuzzy-puppy videos, nothing except communication to and from eBay and PayPal. You will notice that it stays remarkably spam-free. I use a Hotmail account for that, but any major free provider can do just as well.

This then leaves you free to ignore any scam emails received on your other email accounts, since regardless of how plausible they may look at first glance, they're coming in to email addresses that you know you're not using for eBay business, so you know they could not possibly be genuine, and you can delete them without a second thought.

This user has validated their user name. by: GIG

Mon Mar 10 14:00:13 2014

@Puck

Well said!

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Mar 10 17:17:34 2014

I used to get a lot of scam e-mails on the e-mail account used specifically for eBay and PayPal, so I didn't have the same success that A.C. Green has. I used to wonder if there were people who bought inexpensive items on eBay just so they could get PayPal account e-mails they could then use to attempt scams. For a while I was making up account names and passwords to annoy the scammers, like signing in as "(bleep)youscammers" with a password of "go(bleep)yourself." That did help to cut down on the phishing e-mails.

by: Santini This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 10 18:13:26 2014

I got one of those a few weeks ago...at an email I don't have a PP account with. I forwarded it to spoof@paypal...they usually come with some threating title like: "Your account has been restricted" lol. I saw the link went to some eastern bloc country. And they did spell "paypal" correctly.
I NEVER EVER sign into an ecommerce site from a link, even from a legit email OR even from a bookmark I created. I manually type in the url each and every time.