Sun Mar 2 2014 11:54:35

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

By: Reader

I've been Etsy seller since 2008. Etsy periodically tests new features on the site to assess buyer behavior which certainly can potentially benefit all of us.

But Etsy's new layout test is an experiment without a control.

The test should have compared the new layout with the old layout with no other variables involved. But implementation of the new layout has scrambled listings in stores with no way to put them back in order. The test is now "old layout" vs "new layout with listings in total disarray".

It's as if you walked into a nice clothing store and found all the items in random, unsorted order on the racks while in previous visits they had been placed with all like items and sizes together. (And at the same time, you also completely redesigned the store layout, repainted the walls, and changed your signage).

Anyone who has been involved in the scientific community knows that you don't test more than one variable at a time, or you can't determine much of anything from your test. I don't mind the new layout; it has a clean uncluttered appearance. But this was a poor experimental design on Etsy's part.
Frances

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Mar 2 16:47:50 2014

Sounds like Etsy may have hired some moonlighting eBay programmers to write their layout change test script.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 00:03:26 2014

Etsy has said that they encourage new engineers to deploy code their first day on the job. I think that's what we're dealing with here.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 01:19:13 2014

What else is new. Etsy wants to make changes that benefit the site, but they do not appear to know how to run tests.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 03:14:57 2014

I like the larger photos on the shops landing page...easier to see and without the sidebars (that sell nothing) it is less cluttered.  Actually I wish there was a way to hit a button and rearrange merchandise radomly, breaks up the same look when you have a repeat looker, makes the merchandise look new.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 07:38:14 2014

I agree, with the OP and Puck.  As I said in my other post, I took my shop down in protest. It's something that I can do to show my dissatisfaction instead of only complaining. They are up to something and we don't have the full story b/c this test doesn't make any sense. It's not a storefront I would be proud to send people to.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: SusieRose This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 08:07:01 2014

Etsy is just making it harder to differentiate between the stores that produce the actual "hand made artisan" and the mass produced "junk".  I've moved my stores to Zibbet.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 08:55:33 2014

I responded at length to this issue in the other article.  My main point is this, in case nobody has noticed:  the Etsy search engine is broken to non-existent and that is the real problem that they refuse to fix.  For the life of me I can't understand why their tech staff wastes so much time on meaningless, disruptive tests while ignoring the actual problem which is that buyers can't find our items.  I'm not a tech person but I understand it is no small thing to fix or replace a search engine, but other sites like Ebay do it and look how easy it is to find things over there.  Etsy tries to tell the sellers it's our fault, that we need better pictures, better SEO, better descriptions, etc. etc. The truth is that if they fixed their search engine there wouldn't be these problems.  The tests are not scientific and are disruptive to the sellers.  Views of my shop have plummeted from the day they started testing.  If it was hard for buyers to find me before the test, it is now impossible.  Right now there are over 4000 comments on one forum post, most of which are denouncing Etsy and their testing.  We are not lab rats, yet Etsy insists on treating us as such.  Their arrogance and disrespect for the sellers are astonishing.  If a new site ever comes along that is comparable (sorry, but Zibbet just isn't there yet) they are going to lose 75% of their sellers.  They are destroying customer loyalty, that's for sure.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 09:54:54 2014

My sister who sells at craft shows for the past three years wanted to try some online to go with it. We discussed this and suggested etsy. After she checked the site out, she said forget it. It is not a handmade craft type site.
I guess that tells the story on where Etsy is going.  Like I said before, they had a good thing going and just had to blow it.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: tired This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 13:02:22 2014

Etsy continues to hurt my business, but they are growing their business.....combining handmade with factory mades is good business for them....

But there still is not a place to sell crafts/art with the money and knowledge to run a retail site.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: VintageLady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 14:35:01 2014

Flawd is an understatement. Like any other ''cosmetic fix'', the new look removes features that Sellers learned to depend on, such as: the ability to rotate items in the ''featured category'', the ability to rearrange the shop to maintain cohesiveness and rotate front page items in a shop and the ability to have all information regarding a Seller and a shop on the left side of the page.
It however offers larger pictures (really not an improvement, as there was already a ''zoom in'' feature available should the Buyer need an up-close look).

The look is bland, lacks individuality and shops have no personality all of a sudden, something Etsy was famous for, the small shops with a wealth of interesting items.

I suspect this is yet another strategy to take the Seller's minds off the real issues (the messy search, the hardcore preferential treatment for some shops to the detriment of others and the chronic lack of visibility...again, of most shops compared to the shops Etsy loves to promote massively).

Very disappointing and disruptive test, my views dropped overnight by 60-70% when the test started and never came back up since. I had absolutely NO sales since in any of my shops, an unusual first time development.

The Sellers uproar is massive, the forums are full of protesting Sellers and Etsy...quietly goes on about their irrelevant testings.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 16:27:51 2014

EtsySUX!  The design change will not stop their prejudice for China crap dumped wholesale, against their loyal customers!!  They continue to crap on us small shops, in spite of the years of support we gave them, while allowing mass-manufacturers to run rampant!
BETRAYAL!

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 19:35:50 2014

People need to start shutting down their shops. They would take notice very fast.

Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed   Etsy Test of New Layout Flawed

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 6 09:00:24 2014

Vintage Lady et al have it right- this test has been the most disruptive event on Etsy in several years, and like most of the other lab rats, my views have been cut in half and sales have continued to fall.  I don't know if anyone else noticed but for some reason the Admins are all playing it cool and letting the sellers vent as much as they want on the forums.  Right now there are over 6000 negative comments posted in one place or another and the list is growing. It's like someone told the Admins to back off completely.

Meanwhile, Etsy continues to expand its empire thanks to the huge influx of cheap Chinese and Korean factory produced junk.  There was an interesting comment on the RUSEtsy blog by a Korean jewelry reseller that told the whole story of how it works, down to the penny. These sellers are able to buy factor direct jewelry for example, for pennies and resell it on Etsy for $12-20 dollars or more.  Huge profit, little effort. Etsy has allowed them to list the items as handmade or vintage and they now take up most of the search results.  Which brings me to another topic- the broken search engine.
If anybody knows, please tell us why Etsy doesn't do something to fix the SE.  Is there a way that they can set it to only show the junk and not the handmade?  That's what it seems like.
We are praying that either Zibbet gets its act together, or someone else takes over at Etsy before thousands of legitimate sellers simply go out of business.
I wonder if this Ali Baba/ 11 Main Street venture is really Etsy. It would make a lot of sense for them to spin off the resellers into this site.  In fact, the 11 Main site even LOOKS like one of the iterations of Etsy.  If that's the case, maybe Etsy will revert back to what it once was and now pretends to be.