Wed Feb 26 2014 19:32:50

Mobile Shoppers Unable to Visit eBay Stores from Listings

By: Reader

I am a TRS seller on eBay and have been for over 7 years. I work very diligently on presenting a professional looking storefront and maintaining my merchandise in a visually appealing display to draw buyers into my store.

Recently I viewed a random sample of my product listings from 4 different portable devices, tablet, Iphone4, Motorola Droid and Samsung Stratosphere phone. In every case, I was unable to find a link to connect to my eBay store in any listing. It simply isn't available. I could get to my "About Me" page but not to my store.

Does this make sense? In contacting customer support they tell me they simply didn't have the room in the development of portable formatting but they are working on it. This is unbelievable to me.

What is the point in having a store when a customer cannot link to it? The world is transitioning to portable devices and they cannot fit in a link to our stores? Has anyone else noticed this?

I would like to offer a suggestion to store owners to be heard on this issue:

1. Go to the site map - at the bottom of any myebay page
2. In the site map - On right hand side under CONNECT - click on -Suggestion Box
3. Under "send us a suggestion" Click on SELLING

Maybe if enough store owners let their voice be heard, they will get our store links on all listings viewed on portable devices.

Thanks for listening!
Soggy Dollar

Mobile Shoppers Unable to Visit eBay Stores from L   Mobile Shoppers Unable to Visit eBay Stores from L

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 01:46:39 2014

Is this the SAME ebay that wants ALL of it's business to be on mobile devices?  To the exclusion of plain old lap tops and desk tops?  THAT ebay?

Doesn't surprise me in the LEAST tho sadly.  They WANT this business--or they SAY they do---but they fail to actually program the site to accomodate this.

Typical ebay fail.

by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 06:56:38 2014

There is so much "buzz" about shopping on mobile devices.

Personally, I hate the smaller screens, the fight to find "anything" as it is not anywhere familiar as the site is "adjusted" to fit the screen. And, I am constantly fat fingering the "keyboard" trying to get to where I need to go.

Personally, I refuse to use my "phone" as a computer anymore other than running credit cards - and those screens have been over simplified to accommodate "fat finger syndrome". They are "large", "roomy", just the basic information and the "Enter" button is front and center.

Mobile shopping is way over stated as far as I am concerned. It is great to look at, nice to hold, but, just looking at it on the iddy bitty screen - does not mean it gets sold.

Keep working on those websites, online, where there is room to do it "right".

....

by: redheadedlady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 07:12:57 2014

I agree with Kathleen.  I will keep my desktop where I can type and work comfortably.  Those small screens are a pain and I can't understand how anyone in their right mind would shop with them.  I just bought a new desktop 2 weeks ago and will continue to do so.  Small screens are OUT!!

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 07:14:55 2014

Why should I look at a trimmed down version of sellers' sites when I can use regular browsers on my devices and see everything fine.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 10:43:01 2014

Think maybe they are looking and trying to get the kids hooked on the site. I see mostly teenagers, college kids glued to the devices.
Like everything and everyone else, their idea app etc. is the best and the extra exaggerated hype they ''have'' to give it to make it sound like it is the only way to go.
The screen and info are too small and only partial info.

by: Tornad0sRul This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 11:36:31 2014

I can't stand using my cell phone for anything other than making or receiving calls or texts. But........the numbers are showing that mobile shopping is on the rise. I just don't get it. Are people really that busy that they must do their online shopping while they are away from a computer? Are people that bored that they have so much extra time to navigate shopping on a cell phone? Cell phone internet navigation is always slow and cumbersome, no matter how fast the speed or how good the phone. It is night and day compared to a desktop or laptop. That's what makes me think that it is mostly young people doing their shopping from a cell phone, but most young people don't have much money. LOL. But it's usually young people who have their face permanently planted into a cell phone.  There is the occasional middle-aged soccer mom who is obviously trying to manage too many things but I just look at her like "get your head out of your butt."  Unfortunately I see obvious "high maintenance" 30-something women texting and driving, and I am going to start calling in their license plates. Recently I saw one driving a Cadillac Escalade with a child in a car seat in the back and the mother was texting while driving.  That should be a felony whether or not she gets into an accident or not, it should be a felony just like drinking and driving with a child in the car is.
I am wondering if it is just a fad or novelty and will someday take a different direction. Tablets are going to replace the cell phone for internet shopping but they are not even that fast.  Nothing beats a good ole' powerful desktop where your body can be ergonomically healthy and the navigation is fast and clean.

This user has validated their user name. by: monkey

Thu Feb 27 12:23:37 2014

I don't have a store -- but the problem the OP has discovered is serious.

We as sellers should realize that mobile is here to stay and growing at a very fast pace.

I personally don't shop with mobile. But you can't ignore the e-commerce industry's own data that shows mobile on the rise.

Just last month I saw that last holiday's e-commerce traffic was 61% mobile. That is astonishing.

I now write every listing with mobile devices in mind. Short sentences, left justify,
strong bold font, and no fancy templates.

And I have to disagree that it's just "kids" who are shopping mobile. Plenty of "adults" are glued to their phones and tablets, too.

As a seller, I'm happy to accommodate a new generation of e-commerce shopper.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Thu Feb 27 13:34:31 2014

"People do use mobile a lot but it's ebay that is making ''buzz'' to convince the sellers to use THEIR app, which is useless."

Absolutely.
Just like elephants copulating, all the racket about their mobile app comes from on high.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 27 14:18:08 2014

I too am happy to accommodate a new generation of e-commerce shopper; but I would like my store to have visibility or at least some HINT that it's there.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rocky

Thu Feb 27 23:30:46 2014

I'm starting to put a link to my eBay Store at the bottom of every description.  It's a slow process but it can't hurt to have it there.  No way I could find a link to my eBay Store while browsing on my iPhone5.  Sad state of affairs.  Hopefully, placing a link in the description will help others to find the Store.  No need to ever remove it as far as I can see.

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Thu Feb 27 23:38:49 2014

Ebay sent out a promotion to select sellers trying to get them to open a store. They didn't tell them their store would have limited to no visibility on top of having to pay for a store subscription. Ebay wants sellers to optimize their listings for mobile but with no links for the shopper to find the seller's store.

Ebay's motto: A site where we over promise but under perform.

I still can't believe ebay wants to be thought of as a tech site.  lol

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 2 14:34:48 2014

The only 'shopping' I do with my mobile device is when i am out looking to buy merchandise at closeouts and going-out-of-business sales and yard sales... I use it to check if I should buy for resale (of course I also use a scanner when possible)...

I would never buy when using my phone because to much information is left out.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 2 14:37:00 2014

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Mar 2 16:51:28 2014

"After a call with an eEbay TRS/Pwr-seller coach last fall (they called me), I revised all my listings to be more phone-friendly and... my sales went DOWN... Changed back and sales went back to normal (lots of hours of work involved)."

"Hello, I'm from eBay and am here to help you..."

A contradiction in terms.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 2 23:16:15 2014

Ebay does not police itself from malpractice.  It took all the fees and selectively give business to its cronies. Has anyone catch the secret code yet?

Omidyar Network needs to investigate this anti-American ebay business practice.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 2 23:22:55 2014

I am sure ebay only focus on buyers finding the BUY button.  It does not care if buyer read the item description.  So a lot of mobile buyers likely just read the title.  It is not buyers' fault, ebay is hatching ground for bad buyers.  ebay reward FULL REFUND to thieves and irresponsible buyers.

by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 3 19:07:55 2014

HEY!  How come only one commenter ACTUALLY tried to go to an eBay store to see if it was visible?  Come on, people, surely SOME of you have a smart phone and can try to duplicate the OP's findings ?!!!???

by: DonC This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 6 01:19:50 2014

Could you find your listings using a PC?

On more than one occasion I have found listings through Google search that were not found by Ebay's search engine.

Ebay may have decided to make your listings invisible at that particular time.