Wed Feb 19 2014 14:42:14

eBay Regularly Relists Sold Items to Seller's Dismay

By: Reader

Ongoing issue with eBay, curious to know if other sellers are having the same problem.

I have about 5550 items in my store. ALL run GTC. Over the past 2-3 years an item will sell. Buyer is sent said item. eBay then RELISTS the item that I previously sold and I don't find out about it til it sells the second time round.  Sometimes that's TWO YEARS later. (This just happened this week.)

eBay told me they have had this issue with other sellers. I wonder if it has been covered on your site or not. If not maybe it will be of interest to you.
D.

From the Editor:
It sounds similar to a duplicate listing problem previously reported by sellers, such as this one from 2011, this one from March 2013 and this one from April 2013.

eBay Regularly Relists Sold Items to Seller's Dism   eBay Regularly Relists Sold Items to Seller's Dism

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 19 16:22:26 2014

We just sold something last week that sold out four years ago. Haven't had any since. Auction was relisted by someone but no us.

You can call Ebay and you will get the same useless song and dance about why they aren't doing it.

The ebay ghost strikes again.

by: sickandtired This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 19 17:02:12 2014

I have had this problem off and on for about 2 years. Sometimes a couple of times in a month, then not again for several months. Not even consistent as to whether I only had one of the  thing or a multiple quantity and the last one already sold.

So far I have been lucky that every buyer has agreed to a mutual cancellation after I have refunded their payment - I always explain it is an ebay glitch because I have to fill in "ran out of stock" as the reason for the request.

Still dreading when some cranky buyer leaves a neg or dings the stars.....bound to happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Feb 19 17:24:45 2014

We've had this problem on eBay for years.  Recently we've had it on Amazon. Amazon sold the same product that was not in our inventory 3 times.  When I talked to customer service the Asian rep. told me that Amazon was aware of this happening to customers, but then she sent me to a link to complain.  The responses to my messages when I contacted Amazon via the link never addressed the issue at all. The responses that I got were as if I had addressed a completely different situation. No mention of the re-listings by Amazon and no ownership of the issue by them.  I messaged them three times and never got satisfaction from their responses.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Wed Feb 19 17:58:31 2014

Cassini Search = We (eBay) know what buyers really want to buy whether they know it or not.

Robo-Listings/Relistings = We (eBay) know what sellers really have to sell whether they know it or not.

by: Belle This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 00:06:58 2014

First I've heard of this on ebay, but it's rampant and out of control on Bonanza. One buyer argured with me for 3 days and didn't believe I had already sold the item that Bonanza kept posting.

It makes one wonder if this is a big part of their number of items sold.

by: Ebay's Slow Death This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 03:08:13 2014

I've had this problem off and on for several years. It eats up my time trying to figure out what happened. Sometimes I sold the item over a year ago, so I have no idea how it possibly could have been relisted. One item had it happen three times. It was like a ghost listing that just kept coming back.

So far I have had understanding Buyers, when I tell them it is an Ebay glitch. I know sooner or later my luck will run out and I'll get a neutral or negative. Of course, Ebay won't do anything about it.

On Ebay, you never know when that trap door is going to open under you.

by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 03:30:11 2014

eBay Regularly does things to Seller's Dismay.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 04:37:53 2014

Yes we have had the same problem off and on.

by: samanthasales This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 08:29:38 2014

Thanks you. I thought I was losing my mind! eBay does this to me repeatedly, but sporadically. Have never figured out why.

by: 2Angels This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 08:39:10 2014

This has happened to me every few months on ebay. Most recently the buyer was very angry and left me negative feedback. Ebay needs to support sellers when this happens and remove the feedback associated with the problem since it is their fault. I check my inventory every 2-4 weeks and it still happens.

by: charcorvet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 09:41:02 2014

This problem has been going on for years. Partly happens if you use automated relisting. I was told to UN-automate my listings (by ebay)

And happens when you use send to auction - because that doesn't end the original fixed price listing, it just sends it to auction.

I ended up with a 3 day suspension because of these two glitches and others. But when I reported them (the glitches I mean) I got told by eBay I HAD relisted the items. I maybe lazy but I ain't stupid.

just more ebay shennigans

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 11:20:01 2014

ebay - expect anything different??????????

This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu Feb 20 13:14:22 2014

Best out there. Wall Street has big praise for the company.

You need to check your items every day for eBay glitches.

Cost of doing business on eBay. You make up for it by avoiding Sales Tax.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 20 17:25:50 2014

Ebay hired 3rd class programmers.  Pay them dirt cheap.  The smarter ones obviously left long time ago.

I have these kind of systemic problems for years.
Each time I complained, I ended up wasting 6 hours and nothing happen.  I ask the ebay support to log the problem in detail and inform the programmers about the problem.

I found THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.  ebay is departmetalised.  One department doesn't connect to another.   Ebay supports all just want the callers to hang up the phone.  Ebay programmers would never admit any mistake.  There is no one in ebay that has good problem solving skill or encourage to solve any problem.

JD is dumb and lie all the time and all follow their dumb leader.

JD need to be fired immediatly and ebay might survive this year.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Feb 21 01:36:28 2014

Both already sold items and the mysterious double listing of single items has been going on SINCE 2004!!!

I regularly report it, and ebay has done absolutely nothing about it in ten years so clearly this criminal enterprise benefits either in their voodoo quarterly financial reports.

I suspect the profit is when victimized sellers don't file to get the FVF back from ebay when these phantom listings resell.

TurboLister versions 1 and 2 were/are notorious for double listings, the Bulk relister to a slightly lesser extent, and even occasionally with Scheduled listings.

How already sold OAK items get relisted apparently is a "glitch" that ebay simply hasn't been smart or competent enough to find and fix in ten years.

Ebay glitches and known platform problems that adversely affect sellers are either slow to be fixed or are never fixed if ebay profits from them.

What a great "buying experience" these double listing and phantom relistings of already sold items is, Ho.

But you'll simply blame sellers for the problem, and those gullible analysts will believe you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Feb 21 07:35:20 2014

One thing to note....on eBay, when I was having this issue on a regular basis, I escalated the issue up the food chain due to the fact that it was happening so frequently. eBay discovered that the listings were not even being re-listed from my ip address.  Of course they never told me what ip address the listings were being listed from and I suspect that the discovered that they were being re-listed by eBay.

Anyone who has been selling on eBay for a long time knows that not only are their phantom re-listings, but there are phantom counts listed for such things as "sold", "unsold" "active".  One day we logged into our account and there were no listings whatsoever (active, sold or unsold).  We logged out and logged back in and there they were.

by: rudestar This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 21 10:37:58 2014

Seems to happen more often after arguing with customer service. Three bogus sales so far this year. Had to drive hundreds of miles and pay more than items sold for.
Will not list all my duplicate items as they fudge the quantity more often then phantom relistings.
ebay employment pays me $60.00 per hour, only catch is they keep me part time at half an hour a day.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Fri Feb 21 12:14:02 2014

I have experienced this - thought maybe I was going insane. I have also noticed, sometimes when you revise an item, the QUANTITY value changes at random, so if you were a revising a listing with a QTY of 7, it might change the QTY to 11 or 14 or just some seemingly random figure.

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 00:40:21 2014

The problem is that ebay won't acknowledge it and no action was taken year after year.  I got tired of calling CSRs.  I blocked over hundreds of buyers now and continuing to add regularly.  Just go to your competition and get names to block.. before they come to hurt you.

When I first sell on ebay, for years ebay CSR always make me feel that I am the ONLY one out of thousands of sellers who was experiencing  problems... till I found the ebay board... and discovered that ebay CSRs lied to me for many years... ALL OF THEM ARE LIARS!  TRAINED by same master.

Then ebay began purging sellers, out of the message boards, Purging all sellers who openly update other sellers about ebay problems.

ebay deploy ebay pinks and snitch to create mis-information and distraction.  Paid ebay posters followed and argued and pissed off sellers. Pinks then came punished the sellers.

More sellers came and ebay could not calm the masses. Ebay went to the extent of shutting down their stores.... BUT allowing them to buy!

Some sinister ex-sellers often come and hurt other sellers who remain selling on ebay albeit their VERY LOW MORALE!

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 00:50:16 2014

I believe that my TRS was taken down one time due to COMPLIANCE problems resulting from mysterious double listing of many items.

After I relisted expired items, ebay robots duplicated them.  Calling CSRs is totally useless.  I think arguing with CSRs would only invite SECRET RETALIATION from these guys.  It believe ebay CSRs are told to rate 'trouble making sellers'.  If you call too many times and argued with them, your rating could be hurt.  Myth?