Sun Feb 16 2014 09:14:19

eBay Tricks Buyer Into Opening a Claim Against a Seller

By: Reader

I haven't seen anyone talk about the fact that eBay in many cases has started "tricking" customers into opening "item not as described" cases against sellers. Now when you go to "contact seller" and you choose "item I received is not as described" as the reason for the contact, they now take you to a page, have you answer some questions and automatically open a buyer resolution case.

I had a customer complain to me that he did not intend to open a case and was not informed that he was doing so by simply trying to contact me.
K.

eBay Tricks Buyer Into Opening a Claim Against a S   eBay Tricks Buyer Into Opening a Claim Against a S

by: 1beck3 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 16 09:48:09 2014

I did see quite an uptick in open cases against me this year compared to last. I thought it sucked and was really going to effect my TRS status.

Now that I'm completely clear of the holiday season, it hasn't hurt my standing one bit. As long as you act as professionally as you would if there wasn't a formal case opened, everything ends the same. It also keeps all correspondence in one place so it's easier to find when you have a buyer that's being completely unreasonable.

There are bigger fish to fry than this issue.

by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 16 10:37:31 2014

It IS really the antipathy of customer service. We sellers do not have an opportunity to reassure the buyer without the antagonism of a "case" opened against us. It it murder on our own good will with people. I always select OTHER to ask a question. It does not open a case, even if you want to discuss a return.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Feb 16 11:23:29 2014

Excessive numbers of cases can cost a seller their TRS and discounts.

eBay bamboozles buyers into opening cases by implementing a process that results in cases being opened simply because the buyer has a question.

Easy enough to see why eBay implemented this process and despite buyer and seller complaints, refuses to fix what they broke.

This is the kind of eBay mentality that will virtually assure the success of a serious, well funded competitor.

It will be interesting to see if eBay maintains their we know how to run your business better than you know how to run your business attitude once 11 Main opens.

This user has validated their user name. by: Puck

Sun Feb 16 12:32:44 2014

A buyer opening a case by asking a question is the way the schmucks at eBay made good on their promise to sellers to require buyers tocontact them before opening a case.

By making opening of a case simultaneous with the asking of a question was another low for management.

eBay promised chicken salad to sellers and, belatedly, delivered chicken $h!*

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 16 12:58:56 2014

Yeah, we've had this where the buyer never intended to open a case, just asked a question.  And ebay claws the money back, like we are gonna leave the country with that customer's 28 bucks and ebay will have to pay the customer back. Haha. Ridiculous.

We've also had trouble with warranty, often we sell stuff we cannot test, but the buyer can, like a weird Ethernet card or raid controller.

So we warranty them, and often if the item is cheap enough we don't ask them to return it, we just send them out another one. No problems, that's a normal part of business for us.

But what happens now is if there is a case opened on an item we cannot use the ebay or paypal shipping to ship another one.  The ship another link leads to a message ''you can't use ebay shipping on this transaction, please use this link instead, but it does not work.

We have to write or type the address to ship the replacement. That's how employee mistakes happen, typing things.

I have complained to ebay about it but they haven't done anything.  Why in the world anyone at ebay would think it's not cool to send a warranty replacement I have no idea.  But they haven't fixed it.

It's stupid, software written by stupid programmers, business processes designed by stupid people.

It's quite surreal.

by: JustTheFacts This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 16 20:16:58 2014

For those who THINK that opening a case does not count against you even if you win and resolve it, are BADLY mistaken, they ABSOLUTELY DO!

Forget about what ebay says or the CS reps say, it is all a LIE and I found this out first hand and so have others.

They also use losing TRS against you as well no matter how long ago it was.

They may not immediately hold it against you but they are adding EVERYTHING up regardless if you were are fault or not or resolved the issue or non issue and when they decide for whatever reason to use it ALL, they WILL.

I am SOOOOOOOOO HAPPY to be AWAY from ebay!  I am doing so much better on Amazon and am soooo much HAPPIER!

Amazon does not set you up to FAIL like ebay does.  Amazon is straight forward and WANTS you to SELL as much as you can handle.

I am not guardrailed on Amazon like I was on ebay.

There are some things I do not like about Amazon I will admit but over all, Amazon beats ebay HANDS DOWN!!!

I understand that Amazon is not for everyone but for those who sell NEW items, you really should give Amazon a try and just be patient, it may take a few months to get off and running but when you do, I think you will find what we have and put ebay as a BAD memory, like we have as well.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 16 23:50:15 2014

Who is it that is RUNNING ebay these days?

Oh right.

Yep---that ol' monkey COULD do a much better job.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 16 23:51:12 2014

.... in my case it was more abusive then that.

eBay decided that returning an item that was purchased thru Global Shipping and had been used for 45 days over Xmas & New Years holidays - was an ok thing to do, since the customer cried SNAD.

But since GS is supposed to take responsibility for SNAD and this item was used and was correct to start with, eBay declined to open a case.Instead they sent the buyer to Paypal where the rules are not the same.

In Paypal you have more time and arent bound by GS.

When I called Putzpal oops Paypal they said "We cant stop people from opening cases, even if they are wrong. If you dont like it, we will explain to the buyer that they can open a chargeback against you where you will not only loose the case (money) but the item as well ... so shut up)

No joke - "so shut up" was what was words used by the Paypal agent, and its been confirmed by another agent that read the case.

Opening up a case or two wont hurt your standings .... having eBay break their own rules, and then get threatened - thats something else entirely ...

oh btw - its all about a $50 item!

This user has validated their user name. by: thehosst

Mon Feb 17 00:03:09 2014

In a couple of occasions I did ask, because buyers mentioned that they didn't want to open a case and I was shocked to hear from an eBay rep: We encourage them to open a case - because it will be the best way to solve an issue.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Feb 17 03:06:06 2014

It is amazing how many sellers somehow think this is new and are surprised by this.

First, I don't agree with what Ebay is doing nor do I like it.  But sellers would not be surprised or un-informed if they would read the emails eBay sends out.  Most especially the Spring and Fall Seller updates.

This has been going on for at least a year.  If a buyer goes to send a seller an email after they have purchased something from them and if they check the box that they have a question about the description or the delivery of the item, the only way to communicate with the seller is by opening a claim.

Ebay is not tricking the buyer.  The buyer needs to read the screen.  So many people on many issues with Ebay just fail to read the info in front of them and assume they know what it says.

Again, I do not like this any more than any of you.  I've called and voiced my concerns about this many times to Ebay.

While in / on our dashboards claims that get opened aren't counted against us.  And if they close before escalation they aren't counted against us.  Or if the case is ruled in our favor they aren't counted against us.

In Guardrail ALL buyer claims are counted against us no matter what the outcome was.

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 06:35:12 2014

I've had this happen to me when I've bought things on Ebay.

I sell online and would NEVER file a claim without getting in touch with a seller, first.

I have tried different start points to try to get in touch with sellers, and can't seem to do so IF I use the "sold item", as a start point.

If any of the sellers have figured out how to get in touch with someone, post sale, without a claim being filed, can you explain it here?

by: Daisy909 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 06:51:17 2014

This happened to me in December. After waiting 2 weeks for a shipment of bubble wrap that disappeared from tracking, I tried to contact the seller. Some how I opened a case against him. I was shocked as this was not what I intended! I just wanted to let them know it had not shown up and could I could expedite another shipment while I waited for this package to take a glam tour of the US. I felt tricked by Ebay…so what else is new?

by: fgilles02420 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 06:55:17 2014

Same thing happened to me a few months ago! I was carefully following the prompts trying to contact the seller, and the system ended up opening a case when I was simply trying to send an email.

by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 07:38:09 2014

Ebay is treating all sellers like thieves. Any good seller will stand by their products IF the claim is legitimate. The problem lies with false claims, which by my experience is more than 90% of the time.

by: moonmyst This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 08:53:09 2014

I agree with Marie's comment. eBay is not tricking buyers. Buyers just don't know how to read. And apparently this seller ''K'' doesn't either.  This feature was discussed in an eBay newsletter almost a year ago. I'm a buyer as well as a seller and had an issue with an item that was not as described. The minute I hit Contact the Seller and clicked on INAD, it took me to opening a case. And it's very obvious you're opening a case. But, since I didn't want to open a case yet, all I did was back out of the form and use ''Other'' to contact the seller. The seller ''K'' in this letter is uninformed and her buyer lied to her. It's that simple. Most of us selling on eBay don't agree with most of their tactics, so that's why it's important to read every little bit of drivel they send to you.  This way, sellers like ''K'' don't look foolish.

by: choochoo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 08:58:12 2014

I have over 10,000 positive feedbacks (99.6%) and have been selling antiques on eBay for over 14 years. I recently had a Canadian buyer open a case for item not received and she couldn't find the USPS tracking number.  I found it right away and the item had just left customs and was on the way to her post office that day.  I shipped it the SAME DAY it that she paid for it. I asked her WHY she opened a case and didn't contact me first.  She apologized 100 times and said that she didn't mean to open a case, but the eBay form she used just jumped to that option. She received the item the following day and closed the case and left me positive feedback.  She is a seller as well and is very upset about this new eBay 'trick'.
eBay is a BULLY. eBully.  They want to be like Amazon but they do business the opposite way that Amazon does business.
They anger sellers and are forcing many of us to look elsewhere to sell our items.
They are the most seller-unfriendly business on the internet.

by: doboy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 09:12:04 2014

eBay consistently pulls many tricks to purposely denigrate sellers.  This is the latest.  I posed a question to a representative relative to feedback.  Why does eBay NOT force bidders to contact the seller BEFORE leaving a negative.  Her answer was, "But a screen pops up asking if they really want to leave the feedback."  She PURPOSELY sidestepped my question.  I told her firmly that many negatives are left in the HEAT OF ANGER.  Forced to discuss with the seller first just may alleviate many negative comments.  No response.  She knew I was right.  I know I am right.  You know I am right.  It's time eBay stepped up to the plate and gave the seller's an even playing field.

by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 09:52:40 2014

Marie and moonmyst are right about this confusing ebay policy.  As a CS rep explained to me many months ago:  ''This isn't a REAL case'', which is true.

If ebay would change the name of this ''non-case'' to ''inquiry'' or something similar, there wouldn't be so much confusion about it.

A bigger problem IMHO is that sellers do not read messages from ebay or use ebay help (or google) to look up policies on ebay, jumping from ''this looks like a problem'' to ''it's another evil ebay plot'' in a nanosecond.

Perhaps it is easier to complain than to research??

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 10:16:21 2014

I have been buying (and selling) on Ebay since 1999.  I think I may have opened one case prior to this past week.  I bought 5 bottles of polish and never received them.  At this point the seller had over 30 negatives in a few days for INR so I knew I would have to open cases.  When I clicked on the INR it was clear I was going into a claim.  I had once talked to a CSR at Ebay and she told me that the average buyer spends 6 seconds looking at a listing before buying...so what makes us think that a buyer will actually read and realize they are opening a case?  Most buyers need to learn to read before they take action.  It is easy to back out and click the ''other'' button instead of opening a case.  I agree with the postings on here mentioning that this has been in effect for a long time..so why be surprised?  Do I like this policy...no, I think I can deal with most my customers without getting Ebay involved.  This is just another way for Ebay to stick their nose where it doesn't belong.

by: candy7122 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 17 10:19:43 2014

I just posted about my INR cases but wanted to add a post note to this story.  When they seller started getting all her negatives I contacted Ebay and asked them why they were not doing anything about this seller.  They said they had to give her a chance and see what was going on.  Well, they waited over a week to do anything and now this seller is sitting on 236 negative in less than 10 days.  Her account is still not closed.  I think this makes Ebay look shady and in the long run hurts good sellers.

1 2 3  [Next Page]