Tue Feb 11 2014 09:10:52

eBay GSP Doesn't Factor in Special International Handling

By: Reader

Over the last 2 weeks I have had 2 GSP sales on eBay. The first one went off without a hitch. however the 2nd one has raised an issue about Int'l shipping.

I sold a glass bowl to France. I didn't think I had that listed as a GSP item but it fell thru the cracks. Anyway, I ship to my son's post in Italy and always end up double boxing fragile items. That is fine for personal but now here is the kicker:

The packing requirements for international shipping are much stricter. If I was shipping this bowl to the continental US, it would be in a 12x12x12 200lb test box. I have shipped many fragile items and have never had an issue.

This same item going international should be in a 16x16x10 box.

There is only one area for packaging info so my dilemma is:

If I use the basic req's to ship something within the US, it does not cover any additional packing for international shipping and the international buyer may end up with additional fees upon arrival because the item needed extra protection. Pitney would not be able to figure that cost since they are basing shipping on my US packaging.

Two, if I use the requirements for international shipping for my standard shipping dimensions, then my US buyers overpay shipping, again based in international packaging.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

I think eBay needs to add packing info for the GSP program separate from US shipping.
Linda

eBay GSP Doesn't Factor in Special International H   eBay GSP Doesn't Factor in Special International H

This user has validated their user name. by: bitbybit

Tue Feb 11 17:11:45 2014

Linda, I don't think you need to be concerned about the shipping dimensions. From what I understand once you ship to the GPS US Kentucky address, packages are put in a bigger box to go overseas.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 11 18:28:39 2014

I find your comment somewhat cavalier and misleading especially for less experienced sellers who have never dealt with an overseas shipment. Regardless of where or who the middleman is, packages will be exposed to more handling and delivered by an unfamiliar delivery service. Any experienced shipper would add an additional layer of packaging when shipping outside the US. And as for putting packages in a larger container with other packages, that can only add to the possibility of boxes giving way under the additional weight they could be placed under.
eBay should have separate areas for Domestic vs International dimensions for the extra packaging that International shipments often require.
The issues at hand is:
1. If you use international dimensioning for domestic shipments, you will be overcharging your domestic buyers.
2. If you use domestic dimensioning for international buyers, they may end up paying extra for the additional packaging at the point of delivery. And it could be a nasty surprise since inches can equate to a lot of money when it comes to international shipping.

by: Terry Gibbs This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 13 00:19:48 2014

Linda - I find your whole question to be evidence of paranoia.

I've shipped thousands of packages out of the country and never packed them any differently than I would to a US address.

You're wasting your time worrying about minutia and then complaining that others are being ''cavalier and misleading'' because they don't share your paranoia.

Just pack all your items so the sealed box can be dropped from 3-feet and survive.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 13 16:33:56 2014

A problem with the above statement, if actually required, would present a real problem for Domestic shipping as to rate for shipping. Any box 12 inch or less box goes for regular rate. A 16 inch box would be at the large size package rate. And yes, there is difference in cost. The larger box could be $10 or more to ship.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 13 20:19:19 2014

IF there is an item that you feel is too special--for any number of reasons--to ship overseas--don't list it on ebay.

Or at the very least list it but create an INDIVIDUAL INVOICE for the shipping costs.  I also have a LARGE print statement for ALL International potential customers to CONTACT ME before bidding if their purchase will go overseas.  I then make the determination to try and "guide"  the sale off ebay for BOTH of our protection. If you keep it ON ebay--you expose yourself to much more risk.

And really---I too have sent many many items including museum items thru all sorts of shipments and I would not pack any differently for overseas just BECAUSE they were going out of the country.  They have to be able to survive the SAME issues.

PS--I don;t use the Pitney Bowes rip off service.